• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle endorses Andrew Yang; will perform two shows Jan 29, 30 to show support

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast

Today, comedian and actor Dave Chappelle officially endorsed Andrew Yang for president and announced he will perform two shows in South Carolina on January 29 and 30 to benefit the campaign.

“I’m Yang Gang!” said Chappelle. The two-time Emmy and Grammy award-winning comedian is best known for his sketch comedy series, Chappelle’s Show. In October 2019, Chappelle was awarded the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor, considered the country’s highest honor in comedy.

“Dave is one of the most important voices in our country today and I’m thrilled he has thrown his support behind this campaign,” said Andrew Yang. “He and I share similar concerns about the future and hopes for what it could be. We are also parents who see the world that we are leaving to our kids and believe they deserve better.”

I didn't know Dave was a fan. Unlike other other celebrities, Dave's actually a clever dude so this one isn't completely worthless. If I lived in South Carolina, I'd definitely check out the show.

@4 minutes in: https://www.necn.com/news/politics/primary-source/yang-on-why-hes-not-worried-about-qualifying-for-next-debate/2216729/

And in an interview with New England Cable News last week, Yang said that he had been talking to the comedian about his campaign.

“Dave’s team reached out to our team, and they were thrilled to put the two of us together,” Yang said. “We sat down and talked about his concerns for the country and what we need to do to for the next generation. Dave’s a dad like I am. And then after we met, he said, ‘Look, I want to help, and what can I do to help?’"

Do you welcome Dave's thoughts on the matter, or is he just another celebrity who should "stick to his day job"?

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Oh boy, not good that a notorious transphobe is endorsing Yang. Not sure how SJW's are going to reconcile that a huge transphobe now endorses one of the few POC's in the race.

In all seriousness if Dave was going to endorse anyone why not. Couldn't imagine him endorsing Biden or Warren or Sanders.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Rentahamster

epicnemesis

May 9, 2008
I respect comedians voicing their opinions more than other entertainers because
1. They have a feel for the entire country due to the intimacy of stand up.
2. Their job is about observing the world and distilling the humor out of it.

With all that said, a celebrity opinion still holds no water for me personally and I fell bad for anyone who thinks “celebrity x feels this way about subject y and therefore I do too”

At least it’s not one of the candidates actively trying to divide the country by race.

• Thoughtful

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
A celebrity opinion is no more or less valid than any other American's. They get hated on just because they are predominantly left leaning and have a larger platform. Telling them to "stay in their lane" or "stick to acting/singing" implies the average American joe isn't also just as unqualified to discuss socioeconomic matters and foreign policy. Your average construction worker, plumber, secretary, nurse, mechanic, etc can't locate Afghanistan on a map either lol

• Thoughtful

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
A celebrity opinion is no more or less valid than any other American's. They get hated on just because they are predominantly left leaning and have a larger platform. Telling them to "stay in their lane" or "stick to acting/singing" implies the average American joe isn't also just as unqualified to discuss socioeconomic matters and foreign policy. Your average construction worker, plumber, secretary, nurse, mechanic, etc can't locate Afghanistan on a map either lol
The difference is the average American is actually going to die in Afghanistan. The average American is going to feel the effects of bad policy. They feel recessions and job loss.

Rich celebrities don’t. That’s why people people like Bill Maher can pray for a recession or cheerlead illegal immigrants.

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Not surprising since Chappelle has an Asian wife

I have an Asian wife too, but Yang doesn’t get my vote.

TrainedRage

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
USA
Yang will have his time. I’m glad he is getting this attention. Hope he runs again and takes this time to keep up his media appearances.

Feb 22, 2018
China
It is too early for China to plant a puppet president in the US. But the time will come and sooner than you think. Yang is just a test subject for future endeavors in this conquest from within campaign which is going to span many decades.

Last edited:

zenspider

May 9, 2016
Oh boy, not good that a notorious transphobe is endorsing Yang. Not sure how SJW's are going to reconcile that a huge transphobe now endorses one of the few POC's in the race.

In all seriousness if Dave was going to endorse anyone why not. Couldn't imagine him endorsing Biden or Warren or Sanders.
I think Dave’s “transphobia” exists in the media narrative and Twitter more than in any kind of tangible reality.

Not surprising since Chappelle has an Asian wife

I have an Asian wife too, but Yang doesn’t get my vote.
The fuck?

It is too early for China to plant a puppet president in the US. But the time will come and sooner than you think. Yang is just a test subject for future endeavors in this conquest from within campaign which is going to span many decades.
What the fuck (again)?

The obvious bait: Yang is a Chinese plant because he’s ethnically Chinese?

If you think that’s how power thinks, in provincial racial terms, it’s no wonder your proverbial grandkids are going to be learning to code in Chinese.

This ain’t checkers, it’s chess.

GreyHorace

Jun 14, 2019
I'm at a point where I think a majority of celebrities are a bunch of sheltered idiots who don't have a clue what life is like for regular people and don't take into account why the reasons they'd vote for someone like Trump.

That said, I like Chappelle and I approve that he's voting for a candidate that most of the left leaning Hollywood elite would not vote for. Doesn't change the fact that I think his endorsement is useless.