• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle: Sticks and Stones | Out Now on Netflix

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ah yes, you happen to post in a thread and said it was fantastic and somehow that's driveby trolling? Yeah I got banned for saying I thought that one Louis CK joke was funny. These people are fucking crazy. Fuck em.

It’s called, a honeypot to trim the free thought folk.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Watched the the entire special and Epilogue as well. Daphne said it best to Dave, the best representation to give for Trans is telling jokes about them. I say, she's really sweet and have more of a backbone than the heckler that tried to ruin his night regarding the jokes about the #metoo movement

In comedy, every group, religion, creed, social construct, sex, stereotype, culture, nationality, race, etc., etc. have been the brunt of jokes. It’s how we laugh off our insecurities and come together in basic human level commonality of it all.

So when a new group has joined the rank of the rest, it is normalizing them into our culture and society.

Real talk.

Last edited:

zenspider

... LGBTQ alphabet soup stealth sneaks in white people to the front of the line of oppression.

Love this point. Overlay class and wealth onto it as well, and I think it illustrates how poorly intersectionality/wokeness/PC/cancel culture maps onto the reality of problems we face as both individuals and as a society.
It's truly deranging, and, for those with actual power, coveniently distracting.

zenspider

Kind of interesting

I haven't seen the special. I like Dave generally, although I did watch one of the last specials and I thought it was pretty mediocre for what I expect from him. As for this video, I think there is some obvious differences there and it's clearly not outright joke theft, but these are similar enough that it does make me wonder. And to be honest, Dave's delivery seems a little off, I quite like how Owen tells it though.

I mean, if Owen conceptuallized the idea of calling lesbians 'L', gays 'G', to tell his joke without saying "the gays", sure - that would be novel, but it's literally what the movement is called and the way it grew out LGB, LGBT, LGBTQ, etc. I mean, who hasn't seen the nomenclature and said "who are the 'As'"? It's an obvious framing.

The analogy of the movement to a car ride picking up hitchhikers is really the strength of the joke anyway.

mid83

LOL, I just saw that ERA banned people for saying the special was funny. It’s insane and also hilarious to me that the folks over there seem to get crazier by the day.

HarryKS

Was the Jussie Smollet French thing a reference to Jerry Seinfeld's French Gay king joke on one of those late night shows?

NYR

Was the Jussie Smollet French thing a reference to Jerry Seinfeld's French Gay king joke on one of those late night shows?
Nah - just a silly name and he was making fun of it. It was funnier making it like he wasn’t talking about him when he really was.

Saw it yesterday evening, and it was amazing. First time seeing Dave Chapelle, so didn't know what to expect. I love how unfiltered it was, and at the same time I was a bit sad that a couple years ago this was normal, and now we are scared he could catch a massive shitstorm and get cancelled.

Will recommend watching this to everyone I know..

GymWolf

I got banned by those pussies on Era for saying how fantastic the show was. Shit, I felt like defending it after the beating it was getting on there.
They banned you because you like a comedy stand up show?
Can you link the topic (in private if it is not possible here)

Pretty scary that the generation raised on teachings like this has gone completely off the rails. It’s like the worst case scenario.

There's always been double standards though between comedians of different ethnic backgrounds for over 50 years nearly. There's been certain things that have been taboo for white comedians for a long time.

Part of the rise for black comedians is that they can say whatever they want and nothing is taboo due to history which is understandable.

If I did a joke as a white comedian that black people were lazy or some other stereotype when a black person got lynched recently by a white dude then I would get proclaimed as one of the most evil mofo's next to Hitler.

What's happening is that the culture is catching up to black comedians. I mean when Dave made a joke about Trans people and blanketed that they're all deceitful with his "trick dudes into fucking us" joke in his last special. Then he kinda took things too far especially in a country where trans people do get beat to death just for being trans. In Dallas two people got beat to death this year alone just for being trans.

So I don't see a problem for criticizing Dave's jokes. That's called equality, if a white comedian says some gross shit and gets called out for bigotry then a black comedian should too. And the thing is Dave gets a pass for his white jokes where a white comedian sure as shit wouldn't if he made black stereotypical jokes.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the bit about him being able to say "n****r" on tv but not "faggot" was all-time. a joke like that would fly ENTIRELY over Era's heads cos it is about how white people hold up the alphabets over black people. they would never in a million years admit this, so HE is the one that has to be put in his place.
a cell phone went off in this special
i think the phone was gay
What's happening is that the culture is catching up to black comedians. I mean when Dave made a joke about Trans people and blanketed that they're all deceitful with his "trick dudes into fucking us" joke in his last special. Then he kinda took things too far especially in a country where trans people do get beat to death just for being trans. In Dallas two people got beat to death this year alone just for being trans.
trans deaths are very rare, like 2 dozen people a year IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. contrast that to police violence towards black people, just the cases we know about, which is far more wide spread and prevalent, and yeah they are making the trip longer.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Was decent but doesn't touch his old stuff, or maybe I am more of an old man yelling at clouds.

Not deserving of labeling Dave alt-Right or all the other controversy that is coming out of this. His older specials were a lot more offensive than anything this time around. Thought he left a lot of comedy gold on the table in regards to Smollett.

Nothing tops sprinkle a little crack on him and look at him he loves it.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Was kind of surprised to learn Kevin Hart would have been the second black man to ever host the Oscars. Makes that whole situation even more fucked up

Them throwing him under the bus for not respecting the letter people seems like a more and more common occurrence.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
0% on Rotten Tomatoes

u6ClH2Y.png

njr

This by far was his best work, I don't usually watch specials more than once but this is worth a rewatch. Rotten Tomatoes have been compromised a long time ago so it's best not to take them seriously.

jonnyp

This by far was his best work, I don't usually watch specials more than once but this is worth a rewatch. Rotten Tomatoes have been compromised a long time ago so it's best not to take them seriously.

I think it's his least funny. Still funny at points though. Love that it is infuriating the regressive leftist nutjobs though :D

NahaNago

I honestly thought it was kinda weak. He just seemed tired and angry most of the time. The trailers for the show gave away the best jokes and the rest were either weak or really cringey. Mj joke was a little cringey, the LeBron joke was weak, the r. Kelly is a joke you hear over and over again, and the lgbtq joke was pretty safe. Based off all the hype and hate I was expecting Dave to go hard on a lot of modern issues. The all black folk registering to get a gun was funny and sad at the same time.

nocsi

Definitely the weakest of his Netflix set. He's already properly done a Michael Jackson bit, and the new bit is exactly the same covering but much worst. Also was lacking his special build-up to a punch-line ending. But can't complain, glad to see Chappelle being ok with visibility again

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished watching it and I found it hilarious with some good thought provoking moments in there, too.

Only joke I really thought was dumb and ignorant was the trans-racial Chinese guy in a black body bit.

I gotta watch his other Netflix sets now. Totally forgot to check them out when they first came out.

Last edited by a moderator:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It seems like he's always gotta bring up MJ and R. Kelly. Like who cares at this point? Do we need Ja's opinion on trump?
I mean he kept getting asked to be in an R Kelly documentary then when it came out they tried to shame him for not doing it. Can’t blame him for wanting to set the record straight, that he didn’t want to be in it coz he didn’t know the guy AT ALL

Last edited:
Other forum is attempting to cut him down. He's bigger than that stupid fucking forum. Sucks to be them.

Their mouthpiece has also spoken: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...ppelles-new-netflix-special-sticks-and-stones
What absolute dribble. The man is a fucking COMEDIAN! Nothing he says on stage should be taken seriously. I just watched it and I thought it was fucking hilarious. It sickens me that people will want to censor comedy just because their little feeling got hurt awwwww your poor baby. Grow the fuck up.

What absolute dribble. The man is a fucking COMEDIAN! Nothing he says on stage should be taken seriously. I just watched it and I thought it was fucking hilarious. It sickens me that people will want to censor comedy just because their little feeling got hurt awwwww your poor baby. Grow the fuck up.
742956.jpg

My favorite part when when he was going on about being on TV and the lady told him he couldn't say f**** on live TV. And he was like "hold on" "how come I can say n***** with impunity, but I cant say f****?" and she says "well Dave thats because you're not gay," and then he's like "well ok........but Im not a n**** either" I fucking DIED laughing

Only joke I really thought was dumb and ignorant was the trans-racial Chinese guy in a black body bit.
Once i realized that it wasn't about chinese but about how trans people usually overact their woman shtick I thought it was pretty funny.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Probably one of his weaker specials but Chappell is one of those guys that can say almost anything and make it sound pretty funny so I still enjoyed it.

It wasn't really controversial enough for my liking though. Lot of outrage over nothing in my opinion.

Oh my god this is too funny. There is a reason DC called it Stick and Stones as a play on the old preschool saying. It’s basically like “hey this is gonna be offensive”. It’s so damn funny that the words ended up hurting all of these critics feelings 😂

Pejo

That RT split is just fucking ridiculous. It's no wonder why people start accusing critics/media of having an agenda.

I put this special on the other night to fall asleep to, ended up watching the entire thing and the epilogue, it was great. Really makes me miss Chappelle's Show though.

Top Bottom