• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle: Sticks and Stones | Out Now on Netflix

Nymphae

Banned
Guys Dave is white now

k45nge963zl31.png

Zero grey in these people's world. Also, lol @ "black people love him because we tend to love anyone black and wealthy", the white version of that comment is frighteningly unwoke.

mekes

This was a quality special. I’ll never get those that hate on comedians from a social justice angle. My favourite Chappelle special in quite some time.

Helios

Hahahaha that is incredible. Who are these guys?
I don't know, I've only heard of them recently but they've got some quality articles

Ponda Baba, a thug and regular hangout at Wuher's bar, says he won't even set foot in Portland. "I got my arm cut off here in Mos Eisley, but it's not like people were throwing bricks at me for my political affiliation. We have standards. And to be honest, I was kinda being a real jerk at the time. I mostly deserved it."

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Guys Dave is white now

k45nge963zl31.png

Zero grey in these people's world. Also, lol @ "black people love him because we tend to love anyone black and wealthy", the white version of that comment is frighteningly unwoke.
Lol who wrote this article? Would be funny but not unexpected if it is a white person.

On second thought it’s probably a blue check. You can gain a lot of clout by throwing your own race under the bus. Ironic how these people believe in a system of white supremacy yet cannot see they are being useful idiots to that very system.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Finally had a chance to watch this recently. This was fucking hilarious. I wasn't too fond of his last two specials tbh.

brian0057

Banned
Hahahaha that is incredible. Who are these guys?
The Babylon Bee.
One of the funniest satire websites ever.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
If slavery didn't cause racism, and Jim Crow laws didn't cause racism [since clearly racism must predate racist actions and policy] how would ending these policies possibly end racism?

As for after effects, it would seem to me that current day policy has far more impact on black [and other poor, but we are talking black] communities than aftershocks from generations prior.

Plenty of other cultures have been looked down upon, and even stepped upon, in American history [note: I do not say this as a slight on America, this is an unavoidable facet of human history and I think America did excellent, overall]. Japanese faced some ridiculous racism and, of course, internment camps. Irish were trafficked as indentured servants, faced 'no irish' signs, etc. Chinese and the transcontinental railroad. Ethnic Jews. Native Americans. Etc.

I would argue the two cultures most deeply affected today are the black community and the Native American communities, not because of what their ancestors went through, but because of policies that were enacted to 'help' them that effectively destroyed their communities and undermines them - in the case of black communities, fatherlessness and resultant crime and drugs.

Japanese, for example, are quite clearly visibly Japanese. They faced their share of racism. Yet they are doing better today than white people are in America today. Which is great, and smart communities and families should look to them [among others], for things to emulate, like family cohesion.

But my point is this: black communities aren't feeling the aftershocks of slavery so much as they are feeling the present day shock of economic policies, like welfare, that tore them apart long after racism ended and continues to tear them apart today. Unlike the many other communities I listed above, they were treated like they needed govt help to get by, when the others [sans Native Americans] were expected to figure it out. And it is these policies that keep many black communities blighted. Not aftershocks of slavery. The leftist policies put in place to 'help' communities actually keep them down.

People with talent are celebrated in America. Black, white, asian, mixed... it doesn't matter. Whether successful at business, music, sports, even some silly skit on America's got Talent, we don't care, we love to see people succeed.

The idea that aftershocks of slavery are holding them down is a curse upon a race, it's telling them no matter what they do, they wear invisible chains. That's bullshit. No, they don't. The sky is the limit in this country regardless of race.

I appreciate this... I disagree on some of it (policies) but largely agree on everything else.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it's like Catholic mass. when you take enough money and give it to a black person, they transubstantiate into a white person. that's just the honest truth!

just take it from The Medium, a publication started in 2012 by this man, former CEO of Twitter.

800px-Ev_Williams_in_2014.jpg

if you want to hear about rich white people privilege, you gotta take it from the expert!

I thought the special was boring as fuck, literally fell asleep during it. The bit about LBGQT in a car was funny and the part about there not being any good 36 year old pussy followed by “you clicked on my face, bitch!” were funny but the rest... meh. Easily his weakest special that I have ever seen imho.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
RIP
Hope they don't try to blame it on Dave

This is so sad. She seemed like a sweet and really cool person. :messenger_pensive:

Rest in peace, Daphne...and I'm very sorry the pain and struggles you experienced in this world led you down this path. I pray for comfort for your friends and loved ones.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
Ya'll seen the new Netflix show The Closer?
Chapelle responds to his critics perfectly.
Predictably, some aren't happy about it because they are incapable of being happy.
He really is the world's greatest living comedian.
There was nothing perfect about his response. I loved his previous specials, but this one was just remarkably awful. He comes off as a bitter old man. Gone are the insightful observations about current events, and instead they’re replaced with petulant ignorant rants about shit he clearly hasn’t tried to understand. I’m sick to death of hearing about trans issues. So to have an hour+ long special pretty much dedicated to nothing but that was just lame.

Thaedolus

There was nothing perfect about his response. I loved his previous specials, but this one was just remarkably awful. He comes off as a bitter old man. Gone are the insightful observations about current events, and instead they’re replaced with petulant ignorant rants about shit he clearly hasn’t tried to understand. I’m sick to death of hearing about trans issues. So to have an hour+ long special pretty much dedicated to nothing but that was just lame.
I think he poignantly showed how his critics calling him transphobic for jokes are full of shit and how upset it made him that the outrage mob essentially drove his trans friend to suicide with their tactics, but maybe I was just paying attention

I think he poignantly showed how his critics calling him transphobic for jokes are full of shit and how upset it made him that the outrage mob essentially drove his trans friend to suicide with their tactics, but maybe I was just paying attention

Yeah that's precisely what I took from it.

He came out swinging and didn't stop till the bell. Dude was just slaying people onstage.

His story about his trans friend was heartbreaking and hopefully the message got through... but from what it appears... it didn't.

Jaysen

Banned
Did you pay attention to the guy who seems to have forgotten that blacks are part of the LGBTQ community too? Did you notice the idiot on stage who claimed to not know what “punching down” means?

belmarduk

Did you pay attention to the guy who seems to have forgotten that blacks are part of the LGBTQ community too? Did you notice the idiot on stage who claimed to not know what “punching down” means?

He knows there are black people who are LGBT. He mentions two black men as one of the anecdotes in his act. Did you really watch this or are you just repeating points you've heard elsewhere?

Jaysen

Banned
No, I think he acknowledged the former and said the latter didn’t make sense conceptually. Again maybe you weren’t paying attention
I heard and understood every word of it. By far his worst special, and not indicative of how intelligent and insightful he’s been in the past. This was just a petulant little bitch whining about black peoples being last in line still while at the same time tearing an even more marginalized group like shit. Then the idiot claimed it’s all about the white devil. As if all gays and trans are white. And then he defends JK Rowling, who I remind you is as white as they come. As a huge Chappelle fan this was incredibly disappointing.

Jaysen

Banned
He knows there are black people who are LGBT. He mentions two black men as one of the anecdotes in his act. Did you really watch this or are you just repeating points you've heard elsewhere?
The idiot says he’s going after the gays because he has a problem with whites and he did it because blacks were still being mistreated. Did you miss that? It’s the most moronic leap in logic I’ve ever seen from someone who has otherwise shown great intellect. He’s officially the old man yelling at clouds now.

belmarduk

The idiot says he’s going after the gays because he has a problem with whites and he did it because blacks were still being mistreated. Did you miss that? It’s the most moronic leap in logic I’ve ever seen from someone who has otherwise shown great intellect. He’s officially the old man yelling at clouds now.

Did you miss the fact that Dave Chapelle is a comedian who says outrageous shit all this time? It was the funniest part of the show. I am gay and think he's hilarious. The thing is, I don't believe I am above being joked about like Chapelle's detractors seem to think they are.

Raven117

Gold Member
Did you miss the fact that Dave Chapelle is a comedian who says outrageous shit all this time? It was the funniest part of the show. I am gay and think he's hilarious. The thing is, I don't believe I am above being joked about like Chapelle's detractors seem to think they are.
Ol'Dave did nail it when he said the line (paraphrased) "Im going to stop making lgbtq jokes until we can be sure we laughing together" (or something similar).

Too many idiots think that a joke is a "punch", and that those punches should only go up. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Jokes are often and easily used to be INCLUSIVE rather exclusive. A gentle ribbing (and maybe even a sharp elbow), can show that a group or people are accepted and celebrated for certain "truths" and characteristics that make us all human. Can jokes be used for harm? Of course.

Comedy is an exceedingly subtle artform and it absolutely is beyond the general discourse of the internet.

Ol'Dave did nail it when he said the line (paraphrased) "Im going to stop making lgbtq jokes until we can be sure we laughing together" (or something similar).

Too many idiots think that a joke is a "punch", and that those punches should only go up. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Jokes are often and easily used to be INCLUSIVE rather exclusive. A gentle ribbing (and maybe even a sharp elbow), can show that a group or people are accepted and celebrated for certain "truths" and characteristics that make us all human. Can jokes be used for harm? Of course.

Comedy is an exceedingly subtle artform and it absolutely is beyond the general discourse of the internet.

That's the reason The Daily Show (early Jon Stewart era) turned into the news for a lot of folks... comedy when done right can analyze human interaction, society, politics, etc... under a fine microscope and dodge a lot of the emotional bullshit that blocks it.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
That's the reason The Daily Show (early Jon Stewart era) turned into the news for a lot of folks... comedy when done right can analyze human interaction, society, politics, etc... under a fine microscope and dodge a lot of the emotional bullshit that blocks it.
True, but this type of format can veer into the more serious, but when confronted, they quickly hide behind the clown nose. (Stewart often did this). Love the Daily Show.

Again, comedy is a fine balance of alot of things. As you said, it can analyze human interaction, society, politics, etc....and alot more!

I hate the fact that there is almost a puritanical purge right now going on in comedy about what is okay to joke about and what is okay to laugh at. A HUGE part of the human experience is laughter (and even that is complicated). To not use humor to help us understand the world around us...and perhaps even more importantly, help us understand darker and difficult aspects of the human experiment, is to simply cut off a huge portion of our sentient self.

Last edited:
Top Bottom