• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Cage says Detroit has nothing to say, not overtly political.

The scene sure seems to be weighing in on protests and violence, but with all the subtlety of a brick through a window. Detroit is a game about a subjugated group asserting their humanity and trying to gain freedom from people who want to use them for service. It’s hard not to draw parallels to slavery, racism and events going on around the world. Despite this, however, director David Cage told me that he’s not trying to make a game with an overtly political message, nor is he heavily drawing on real world history or politics as influences.

“The story I’m telling is really about androids,” he told me in an interview after the demo. “They’re discovering emotions and wanting to be free. If people want to see parallels with this or that, that’s fine with me. But my story’s about androids who want to be free.”

“It’s the point of view of one of the two characters,” he said. “What I tried to do with this game is not be binary, not be black or white, or good or evil. Sometimes doing something bad can turn into something good, or vice versa. There’s usually more than one component [to situations in the game]. There’s the androids, there’s the humans, there’s the public, there’s the media. Your own people, what will they think of what you’re doing depending on how you do it, what you say about it to them, what you say to the humans? The situation is not binary. It’s actually quite multifaceted.”

And yet, this pivotal scene unfolded clunkily, relying on a binary meter to help convey a complex spectrum of ideas. I pointed that out to Cage, who explained that the scene will have more factors playing into it in the final game.
“[The meter] is a part of this unique scene,” he said. “What is difficult for us to explain is that this scene is the only scene in the entire game where you have this gameplay and this situation. There’s a lot happening. The complexity emerges from the broader story arc and not just this scene.”

“I don’t want the game to have something to say, because I don’t see myself delivering a message to people,” he said. “But I’m definitely interested in asking questions to the player. Questions that are meaningful and that resonate with him as a person and a citizen. We live in a world that’s full of hopes as well as fears. Fears about the present and also the future. Where are we going? What’s going to happen? I just want to ask these questions and see how people react.”

I think this might be the most cowardly and incoherent interview I've ever seen with a story-based developer. Cage is obsessed with being an artist and... thinks that his games should say nothing? LMAO.

http://kotaku.com/despite-political-overtones-david-cage-says-detroit-is-1795939952

Note that Cage is obviously lying out of cowardice because last year he said this.

GamesBeat: As you alluded to, there have been a lot of stories about this subject, about androids and artificial life. Was it difficult to come up with a unique storyline here, where you’re doing something original?

Cage: Not really, because my story isn’t so much about A.I. and technology. I know it may sound a little abstract to say it that way, but the story isn’t about that. It’s about humans, emotions, feelings, and identity. I never felt I was telling that story in particular.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1234967

sanstesy

Be honest now, does anyone want to hear what David Cage has to say about the political climate of any era? That sounds like a PR disaster waiting to happen.

It's a pretty pervasive view in the game industry, and seemingly on the game industry. They want to get credit for "asking questions" without saying anything.

It might be for the best, as I do not trust Cage's ability to write with a purpose on anything resembling sensitive subject matter. But the willful insistence at jumping into a discussion only to declare your intention not to take part doesn't make you look smart, it makes you look cowardly.

This guy gets a lot of guff but it's always great to see passion in game making. I was a big fan of Heavy Rain despite it's flaws, people who get upset about his non gamey approach to games need to realize that there are tons of other games that cater to them.

gdt

Lmao

Wants to keep the alt rightys feeling okay about picking up his game.

Doesn't want to get tagged as an sjw

Jesus OP, dial it back a bit. What he's saying is that he's not purposefully making the game about some type of political message. Your quote even states that he's fine with people reading into the parallels if they want to, but that's not his purpose.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
why would i play an adventure game the creator self describes this way?

hard pass

Lmao

Wants to keep the alt rightys feeling okay about picking up his game.

Doesn't want to get tagged as an sjw

this is what is probably between the lines, yes

Chumley

Banned
I'm really tired of this shit in games. If you have nothing to say why the fuck would I want to pay attention? Grow some balls and take a stance on political issues instead of fence sitting.

ActWan

No reason to look for subtext if he's saying it's not meant to be there.
I'm glad it's just about androids and humans, with no allegories.

He's probably smart enough to realize that the current political climate means he's fucked no matter what due to the story premise he chose- either people will conclude that the game implicitly (or explicitly!) encourages violence and piss off the people who don't like the idea of political violence being encouraged or it will encourage pacifism and piss of the Political Violence Is Good, Actually, As Long As It's Against People I Don't Agree With crowd.

It's too late to change anything major in the game so his only real chance is to claim that any political message you may get from the game is just you reading too much into it. Which may be true, for all we know.

He's probably smart enough to realize that the current political climate means he's fucked no matter what due to the story premise he chose- either people will conclude that the game implicitly (or explicitly!) encourages violence and piss off the people who don't like the idea of political violence being encouraged or it will encourage pacifism and piss of the Political Violence Is Good, Actually, As Long As It's Against People I Don't Agree With crowd.

It's too late to change anything major in the game so his only real chance is to claim that any political message you may get from the game is just you reading too much into it. Which may be true, for all we know.
We can all generally agree that slavery is bad, I think.

Is this a joke.

Have you guys ever consumed science fiction media before.

This game is about a group of slaves in Detroit rebelling against their masters.
So

Fucking

What?

Who cares if Cage himself wants to label it political? Play the game and make your own connection to the story.

How this is an issue to some people is completely beyond me.

Didn't he say last year that the story is unique because the androids are the good guys for once.

Yee

GamesBeat: As you alluded to, there have been a lot of stories about this subject, about androids and artificial life. Was it difficult to come up with a unique storyline here, where you’re doing something original?

Cage: Not really, because my story isn’t so much about A.I. and technology. I know it may sound a little abstract to say it that way, but the story isn’t about that. It’s about humans, emotions, feelings, and identity. I never felt I was telling that story in particular.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1234967

Also, in this paragraph, he describes a completely different story than he did in this interview!

I'm sure this has nothing to do with the huge amount of gamers losing their shit when things are political that say a message they don't like. That in itself isn't political at all.

Why every thing must be political though? Every one free to make his/her own story....

Because stories are products of people, perople are products of their environment, and the environment's a product of politics.

Also he's making a game about robot slavery at a point where race relations in America (and the world) aren't fantastic, you could even argue advances in technology are a major reason for it e.g. people having free access to information and groups of peers.

Top Bottom