• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Hayter not reprising his role as Snake in Metal Gear Solid 5? Statement

Mr. RHC

IVroGDT.png

Edit: Wow it is indeed, true.

In my personal opinion, I think this is a great loss. Thank you for your amazing work in the series, for portraying Snake.

https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/317002108115234816

Edit 2: Hideo Kojima confirming a new actor for Metal Gear Solid V. http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/84h9k6/metal-gear-solid-v--the-phantom-pain-kojima-interview About 5 minutes into the video.

JordanKZ

3 theories:

1) Kojima is fucking trolling us, and that's not Big Boss in the trailer.
2) Hayter isn't playing Big Boss because Snake is somehow in this game.
3) Hayter has literally been cast aside for one reason or another.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Good. He sucked it up in MGS3 and 4. Time for something new.

Au Revoir, our sweet prince from MGS1.

BosSin

Maybe it's because, for some strange reason, they've just decided to separate Big Boss and Solid Snake in terms of voice actors.

3 theories:

4) Big Boss has aged considerably, so they're using Richard Doyle as that's his "old" voice.

Alienous

At least he can write the screenplay for the next X-Men m... oh, wait.

Don't be a hater, Hayter. Every Diamond Dog has its day. Yours is ... behind us.

(This is strange though, since Miller sounds the same. Hayter'll always be the voice of Solid Snake. He has that character. I suppose Big Boss allows for more creative liberty).

Xun

3 theories:

I'm thinking this, but we'll see.

Sephzilla

My "Kojima" sense is tingling a little bit.

I don't think Hayter would be the type who would want to burn a bridge & given that Snake's normal VA is doing MGSV in Japan, I think something's up. Perhaps Solid Snake is actually in the game someplace.

I really like Hayter, but really, another good voice actor can fill his shoes and do just as good a job if not better. Mel Blanc created Bugs Bunny, but his successors have done a wonderful job fulfilling that role. I appreciate Hayter and would prefer him for sentimental reasons, but I'm not sure any changes would have any appreciably negative effects.

How close are we to MSX metal gear 1 in the timeline if 5 takes place 9-10 years after peace walker?

Could a young Solid Snake make a appearance?

Never had a problem with David. He did the best he could with the scripts he had.

So are they definitely going with Richard Doyle then? Because I'm ok with this, the transition needs to happen at some point, and besides Doyle can deliver a mean monologue, not to mention it's time Big Boss/Snake evolved beyond his incredulity (Metal....Gear???) why everyone around him monologues him to death.

Binabik15

Eh, it's BB, anyway.

If Hayter is gone for good for voicing Solid, though, get to the phone asap and contact the guys from the German dub. Have them take over the English VA. Hilarity will ensue.

Spwn

Hayter's character is Solid Snake. Despite his voice work as Big Boss in MGS3, I think they wrote him off from that role with MGS4. I didn't expect this to be a shock to anyone.

So are they definitely going with Richard Doyle then? Because I'm ok with this, the transition needs to happen at some point, and besides Doyle can deliver a mean monologue, not to mention it's time Big Boss/Snake evolved beyond his incredulity (Metal....Gear???) why everyone around him monologues him to death.

Might not be Richard Doyle, actually. In the beginning of the gameplay demo Kojima was playing, Boss was also Kiefer Sutherland. Listen closely.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

It appears to be Kiefer Sutherland voicing Big Boss/Bandaged man.

My "Kojima" sense is tingling a little bit.

I don't think Hayter would be the type who would want to burn a bridge & given that Snake's normal VA is doing MGSV in Japan, I think something's up. Perhaps Solid Snake is actually in the game someplace.
If regular Snake voice actor is voicing Big Boss/Bandaged man in Japan, then Hayter is definitely out.

Angry Fork

I really like Hayter, but really, another good voice actor can fill his shoes and do just as good a job if not better. Mel Blanc created Bugs Bunny, but his successors have done a wonderful job fulfilling that role. I appreciate Hayter and would prefer him for sentimental reasons, but I'm not sure any changes would have any appreciably negative effects.

If they get an actor who can replicate Snake's voice I can tolerate that, but it cannot be something entirely different.

Troy Baker or Nolan North as Snake.... NO.

Top Bottom