• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe banned from PSN for hate speech

Shmunter

As per video…Jaffe has been 1st strike banned from psn for producing a couple of videos.

Seemingly Jaffe was under the illusion that it’s ok to make jokes related to the protected LGBT class by making a Lesbian joke about Ratchet and Clank.

The other potential infringement is making light of white supremacy, again in a Ratchet & Clank context during a time when the biggest threat to America as stated by the President - being White Supremacy!

This is 2021 Jaffe, not the 80’s!!! Common Man!!!

Banjo64

cumsessed
For making a joke about lesbians? Isn’t one of the tenets of humour that you can poke fun of anything? We’re getting to the point where you can’t make a joke about any race (apart from white people) or any minority (gaysexuals, religious people, disabled people).

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
If you upload it from the console it puts it into the ecosystem with other users on the console able to see it
Yup, you shouldn't post anything controversial while logged in to your PSN account. I think the same applies to PS blogs, because you have to post there using your PSN credentials as well.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Sad state of affairs.

You can't make jokes about anything anymore, unless its about some in history annals non oppressed species (factually wrong, they don't exist) ie. straight white male. Also, the current trend is to shove minorities into top positions, dismissing if they've been the best suited for the job. Its all virtue signalling. But at the same time you're potentially leaving others out who would've been the best fit. They're pulling the exact same shit without realizing it.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
What is worrying about this is that they don't give people the opportunity to understand exactly how they have violated the terms. If they are going to ban people, they should reference the specific violation and the offending media.

Also there should be an appeal process. Why are we paying for PSN if not to fund things like this, that many 'free' platforms can even offer?

It seems that they have outsourced their policy violation assessment to people (or algorithms) without a grasp of nuance, irony, humour or context.

Last edited:

Three

Dude this is a PG game. The fact that you got banned for a week shouldn't have happened and they should have just removed the vid but it's more than likely somebody's parent reported it because it was trending on the more info section of the game with a huge "Lesbian Lombax! Yep".

Shmunter

What is worrying about this is that they don't give people the opportunity to understand exactly how they have violated the terms. If they are going to ban people, they should reference the specific violation and the offending media.

Also there should be an appeal process. Why are we paying for PSN if not to fund things like this, that many 'free' platforms can even offer?

It seems that they have outsourced their policy violation assessment to people (or algorithms) without a grasp of nuance, irony, humour or context.
nuance, irony, humour or context? Lol, what sort of utopia do you speak off?

Shmunter

Dude this is a PG game. The fact that you got banned for a week shouldn't have happened and they should have just removed the vid but it's more than likely somebody's parent reported it because it was trending on the more info section of the game with a huge "Lesbian Lombax! Yep".
More likely a reerara or kotaku type

Zeroing

Banned
so basically a bunch of people flagged his videos.
Utterly ridiculous.... some of the people working at PlayStation these days are beyond stupid.
Let’s think, do you wonder a single person will have the time and ability to check everything that is flagged? They PS, see the tittle about the lesbian… and assume it was offensive hence people flag it.

this is just plain abuse of the flag sistem. If they take took long there could be serious consequences, if they are quick their will be mistakes

LMJ

The truely sad part of this is Jaffe is a progressive himself, just another sad case of a class eating their own lol

Everyone is going to have to walk on eggshells on any game platform here in the future. No humor allowed... it's going to get worse before it gets better

On the old Mii creator for the Wii U I created a very short angry character with a bowl cut and due to being able to move the mole anywhere, I increased it's size to the max and slapped it right under the nose and made him wear solid black...I dubbed him EmoH... get it?

troll dancing GIF

yeah just guess how fast that shit would get me banned today

People need to lighten up

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
That's what he gets for pandering.
when-the-chips-are-down-these-civilized-people-theyll-eat-eachother.jpg
I don't pander.

Because I don't care about the outcome.

I say what I believe, I keep an open mind to other people's ideas (and the fact that their ideas could change my ideas), and I call it like I see it. Sometimes I get it right, other times I don't. And when I don't, I try my best to make it right/apologize if I have offended.

But the whole 'that's what you get' is sort of part of the very problem a lot of y'all seem to be having with the far left. Try apathy, it works. I don't give a FUCK that Sony banned me. If I really want to play more PS games online and I lose my account, I'll make a new one. Or I'll go support a company who doesn't have such crazy ways. Or I'll start my own. The only way the horrid far right or horrid far left have power over you is if you start to give a fuck about what they say or do.

tl;dr- better to die a free man than live a long life as a slave.

Hunnybun

It's so pathetic watching him try to genuflect to their puritanical, totalising rules ("I'm only an ally if they say I'm one") and at the same time rail against them.

Dude, the entire point of PC is the rule-making and witch-burning. It's just couched in support for minorities as a protective shield.

Harlock

Old man who did not make more games complaining about people complaining that Sony did not make games with sexy women like he did.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I don't pander.

Because I don't care about the outcome.

I say what I believe, I keep an open mind to other people's ideas (and the fact that their ideas could change my ideas), and I call it like I see it. Sometimes I get it right, other times I don't. And when I don't, I try my best to make it right/apologize if I have offended.

But the whole 'that's what you get' is sort of part of the very problem a lot of y'all seem to be having with the far left. Try apathy, it works. I don't give a FUCK that Sony banned me. If I really want to play more PS games online and I lose my account, I'll make a new one. Or I'll go support a company who doesn't have such crazy ways. Or I'll start my own. The only way the horrid far right or horrid far left have power over you is if you start to give a fuck about what they say or do.

tl;dr- better to die a free man than live a long life as a slave.
I'll be honest man, I just wanted an excuse to post that joker quote

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
It's so pathetic watching him try to genuflect to their puritanical, totalising rules ("I'm only an ally if they say I'm one") and at the same time rail against them.

Dude, the entire point of PC is the rule-making and witch-burning. It's just couched in support for minorities as a protective shield.
You moron. You insecure moron who is so worried about someone 'controlling' you that you can't see the forest for the trees.

I'm not LGBT. My brother is, my son is. And this is what they tell me. And so I go, 'Cool- I'm here to help and if that's how the community likes to frame things, good on me. I'm not being stalked and harassed and killed by people for my gender or for who I like to fuck, so I'll play a medic or other support character to your cause and you just tell me what you need.'

To be SO defensive to act like THAT behavior is genuflecting says more about your own insecurities with authority figures than it does my desire to respect and support a community I care about but have no first hand knowledge of.

SSfox

If only David Jaffe talk and pushes Sony to make a God Of War collection remaster, instead of this whatever blabla that was.

Fuz

Banned
Stuff like this is what successfully pushes me away from their ecosystem, it's better to just wait to play the games on PC where Sony has no voice, no control, no power. Fuck Konami Sony.
And don't give that sort of power to microsoft. Don't ever accept any walled gardens.

You people already fucked up decades ago with steam, let's not make that mistake again.

Hunnybun

You moron. You insecure moron who is so worried about someone 'controlling' you that you can't see the forest for the trees.

I'm not LGBT. My brother is, my son is. And this is what they tell me. And so I go, 'Cool- I'm here to help and if that's how the community likes to frame things, good on me. I'm not being stalked and harassed and killed by people for my gender or for who I like to fuck, so I'll play a medic or other support character to your cause and you just tell me what you need.'

To be SO defensive to act like THAT behavior is genuflecting says more about your own insecurities with authority figures than it does my desire to respect and support a community I care about but have no first hand knowledge of.

Whether you resent it or not, this PC miasma (I prefer to think about it in those terms cos I don't really like talking about it as though it's some cabal - but the effects clearly exist) basically takes your good intentions and uses them against you.

I certainly resent it on your behalf.

You're very obviously a credible "ally" to this just movement - IMO it's outrageously unreasonable of the people you support to demand a power of veto over that reality, which effectively amounts to a redefinition of language itself (ie "ally" has an established meaning in English). Do you not see the central point is that an open-minded, loving, generous approach to some minority or other should be met in kind?

And obviously not wanting to be controlled by intolerant fuckwits makes me insecure about my freedom: that's virtually explicit in the complaint!

Top Bottom