• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe (creator of God of War) annoyed by forum

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Seems some other website pissed off one of my fav devs.
And he does not hide his feelings at all.

Thanks for making those games jaffe and staying true to yourself.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sounds like he's trying to stir shit to direct attention to himself, as if some people whining about him online means they think he's number one public enemy, lol? Plenty devs spewed whatever crap against "neogaf" in the past too, if you're not ok with them doing that as if everybody who ever visited and wrote here must have the exact same way of thinking as anyone else then there's no reason to condone anyone else doing that for another community. I haven't seen what this all is about in detail but yeah I do think freedom of speech doesn't mean everyone should be able to incite hatred against others without consequence so saying that freedom of speech means you should be able to say anything is wrong as far as I'm concerned. Dunno if the person he defended did spew hate or not, but the defence has been that he should be able to cos freedom of speech so I'm pointing out that's a fallacy as far as I'm concerned, one's freedom's ends where another's begins and everyone has the right to live happy and in peace without being targeted for his origin or faith or color or sexuality or self identification or whatever else, do whatever you want as long as it doesn't threaten someone else's rights. That's all I'll say about this.

Last edited:

Dunki

Sounds like he's trying to stir shit to direct attention to himself, as if some people whining about him online means they think he's number one public enemy, lol? Plenty devs spewed whatever crap against "neogaf" in the past too, if you're not ok with them doing that as if everybody who ever visited and wrote here must have the exact same way of thinking as anyone else then there's no reason to condone anyone else doing that for another community.
He was asked about it on stream and he answered he does not try to do anything. And I 100% agree on what he says.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like he's trying to stir shit to direct attention to himself, as if some people whining about him online means they think he's number one public enemy, lol? Plenty devs spewed whatever crap against "neogaf" in the past too, if you're not ok with them doing that as if everybody who ever visited and wrote here must have the exact same way of thinking as anyone else then there's no reason to condone anyone else doing that for another community. I haven't seen what this all is about in detail but yeah I do think freedom of speech doesn't mean everyone should be able to incite hatred against others without consequence so saying that freedom of speech means you should be able to say anything is wrong as far as I'm concerned. Dunno if the person he defended did spew hate or not, but the defence has been that he should be able to cos freedom of speech so I'm pointing out that's a fallacy as far as I'm concerned, one's freedom's ends where another's begins and everyone has the right to live happy and in peace without being targeted for his origin or faith or color or sexuality or self identification or whatever else, do whatever you want as long as it doesn't threaten someone else's rights. That's all I'll say about this.

Yeah, he's definitely a drama queen. Even tweeted at Phantom Thief asking him to do a live debate online with him. For those not in the know, PT is one of the most prolific posters/thread starters on era. Pretty much a no life that's whined about depression and forum addiction, asked for temp bans to try to break the addiction to just come back and start multiple threads a day and post like crazy again.

I have no personal qualms with someone that does that (god knows I've wasted too much time online over the years). Just showing how pathetic it is for a former big name dev like Jaffe to be calling out such a random internet nobody in a quest for attention. Even if I agree with a lot of what he's said about free speech vs. deplatforming, this is a bad look for him IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow he is right about this stuff and holy crap about npc, for me (like he said) is non player character... wtf has that turned into now :(

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Developers should stay away from ResetEra if they know what's good for them. Sooner or later the mob from Era forum will come after their ass for having an opinion.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
David Jaffe has long been one of my favorite developers. He wears his emotions on his sleeve. If you can, I highly suggest you find some of his videos on Twisted Metal where he was in near tears due to the launch of the PS3 release. He truly cares, even if he is foul-mouthed about it. Keep being awesome, Jaffe.

dolabla

He committed the worst sin of all sins against them........... have a different opinion than they. Won't be surprised to see his content end up on the ban list over there at the insane asylum.

Last edited:

bilderberg

What you think freedom of speech should be doesn't matter. What is the litmus test on "spewing hate."?

Well... when someone throws bullshit towards someone else, they tend to throw it right back.

If someone raged at something I said and acted with absolute buttfuckery, I would tell them to fuck off too.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
David Jaffe has long been one of my favorite developers. He wears his emotions on his sleeve. If you can, I highly suggest you find some of his videos on Twisted Metal where he was in near tears due to the launch of the PS3 release. He truly cares, even if he is foul-mouthed about it. Keep being awesome, Jaffe.

Same here, and agreed! I have always liked him and admired his passion in the industry.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

I wonder if David Jaffe can drop by Neogaf. Would be interesting he can share his views and be challenged without the risk of witch hunt.

Soyboy paradise that resetera place. If there is one place that game devs shouldn't be concerned about, it's that restra dwelling.

ShadowLag

I miss the glory days of GAF. I still visit here a lot, but it seems like most of the big gaming news threads are only on ERA these days. I'm sick of the hyper political bullshit that seeps into and corrupts every single ERA thread, it's very hard to stomach the place lately.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Probably not cool to link to another post of mine but I already weighed in on this here , but I doubt I could articulate my thoughts on this any more clearly.

ResetEra is everything they purport to stand against.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
ResetERA still exists?

I was hoping it would wither away and die after I got banned for criticizing Nintendo, but apparently that hasn't happened yet.
Is your so called "criticizing" means you just spam you shit posting all the forums then you are going get banned no matter where you go unless it gamefaqs or Gamespot's System Wars.

He isn’t wrong at all. People will shout and shutdown with their self righteousness because they are trying to determine who and what is hateful and toxic without any thought that maybe they are wrong.

The way Reset handles Jaffe proves him right. They would rather shut him down and mock him vs debate the idea. There may be some that do that but the hive mind has spoken.

Darth

I did not see the thread he is talking about but he describes the Off-Topic area of ResetEra perfectly.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Yeah, he's definitely a drama queen. Even tweeted at Phantom Thief asking him to do a live debate online with him. For those not in the know, PT is one of the most prolific posters/thread starters on era. Pretty much a no life that's whined about depression and forum addiction, asked for temp bans to try to break the addiction to just come back and start multiple threads a day and post like crazy again.

I have no personal qualms with someone that does that (god knows I've wasted too much time online over the years). Just showing how pathetic it is for a former big name dev like Jaffe to be calling out such a random internet nobody in a quest for attention. Even if I agree with a lot of what he's said about free speech vs. deplatforming, this is a bad look for him IMO.
The irony in your posts. God forbid he has an opinion and is allowed to defend himself.

Extreme-toxic-drama-era needs to calm the fuck down and stop attacking everyone that isn't of their opinion. Fuck that roach nest.

dolabla

I wonder if David Jaffe can drop by Neogaf. Would be interesting he can share his views and be challenged without the risk of witch hunt.

Unfortunately, I think he may have had too many Reset loons in his ear because I heard him mention in a video someone posted on here a few months ago....... I can't remember exactly what he said, but in the video he mentioned something about NeoGAF being "alt right" now.

Now this might be a wake up call not to listen to those batshit insane goons from that place who go around calling everyone who does not share their opinion an alt right Nazi.

I do wonder if he still reads here. If he does, would be cool for him to come join us.

i dont agree with everything he says but hes right on this one, but don't bother trying to argue with fanboys that don't want to look like fanboys by being condescending. there are a few of them here too. I just ignore them because they will ignore what you actually say and repeat the same shit over and over.

Last edited:
Awesome video. Very well said.

As someone who was on every major website during the pre-Gamergate days and watched it all happen, what is happening to him now is basically what happened with Gamergate. Mostly liberal gamers got annoyed with extreme psycho-far-left gamers who kept calling them racist, sexist assholes falsely. Falsely because almost all of these people are liberal and aren't racist or sexist at all (I can't even count the amount of times I got labeled as a white male alt-righter when I'm not white, and I'm far left of the Democratic Party). But they just happened to like free speech, or didn't say the exact right thing and tow the party line on whatever trendy SJW gaming websites were popular at the time. So all those liberal gamers got labeled as Satan.

Same shit. These people are cancer. And really, I have a lot of respect for Jaffe standing up for free speech, and standing up to religious zealot maniac SJWs, because these people try to ruin lives and hurt people every day. You're the man Jaffe.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The irony in your posts. God forbid he has an opinion and is allowed to defend himself.

Extreme-toxic-drama-era needs to calm the fuck down and stop attacking everyone that isn't of their opinion. Fuck that roach nest.

My point's more just that people should not be giving that place more attention and power than it deserves.

It's irrelevant, like all forums these days. But if big name devs/people drag it on to Twitter (the most visible and relevant social thing on the internet these days in the era of a buffon president who constantly tweets) it gives it publicity and gives it MORE legitimacy as it shows real people with real careers give a shit what some depressed, forum addict like Phantom Thief has to say. If you want that "roach nest" to crumble, you want it not getting that kind of publicity.

People of course have a right to defend themselves. But doing so sometimes gives more power to the attackers than just ignoring them does as it shows you don't care what a bunch of losers on some pathetic forum think. The more they get brought into the limelight, the more people will view it as a relevant/influential place--even those who vehemently disagree with it. "If David Jaffe (or insert other big name) cares what they say about him that site must matter" type of vibe given off to people who otherwise have no idea what it is or just thought it was another random little forum full of game nerds of some stripe.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
i dont agree with everything he says but hes right on this one, but don't bother trying to argue with fanboys that don't want to look like fanboys by being condescending. there are a few of them here too. I just ignore them because they will ignore what you actually say and repeat the same shit over and over.

Like... gasp, an N... P... C...?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I read through the YT comments and EVERYONE pretty much agrees the asylum is a dumpster fire, but sadly the vast majority aren't aware of how neoGAF is today and think it's still almost as bad as reset.

I was glad to see at least a few people pointed out that the the most toxic mentally ill people and horrible mods moved to the asylum and that it's actually pretty nice over here now. I guess it takes time to live down a really bad reputation.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

I used to be very good friends with Phantom Thief. I believe he still writes for Gaming Bolt. Funny thing is, dude is completely different today and during his days on the GameSpot System Wars forum he was nowhere as pure as he likes to come off as.

Last edited:
I used to be very good friends with Phantom Thief. I believe he still writes for Gaming Bolt. Funny thing is, dude is completely different today and during his days on the GameSpot System Wars forum he was nowhere as pure as he likes to come off as.
A born again SJW. Most are. It really is a religious movement.

Seyfert

I felt i have to speak something because it seems not many chance to speak this.

After i migrate there and be there for a while. i cant stand that site. It filled with super crazy PC in most single topic. I play game for escapism not for PC.

TBH, Gaf become much better place in the process after those crazy folk left here.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

The same sensational headline click-baity Gaming Bolt that was practically a sister site to N4G fueling them console wars with silly excerpts (about "console power") from Indie Devs working on 2D Unity games? Explains a lot, TBH.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
A born again SJW. Most are. It really is a religious movement.

I don't think there's anything wrong with people having shit in their past, maturing and being a better person. Knocking a current "SJW" for poor behavior in the past is hypocritical to those of us who hate when those types due that shit to people like James Gunn and his old tweets. It's only an issue when they're STILL doing shit they speak against--which is unfortunately more common than it should be.

In general, I have nothing but mad respect for true SJWs--those actually out their protesting, organizing, getting the vote out, contacting their reps, running for office their selves. Some of the greatest people in history like MLK were the SJWs of their time. What I have an issue with is these wannabe SJWs who are really nothing but KEYBOARD warriors. Bunch of losers with no lives that sit around bitching about things online and most of them never doing anything in real life beyond the banal, basic civic duties that most of us informed people do like voting. They're just bitching to feel better about themselves and to fit in with that cult as they have no social life in the real world. They're no different than the people on the other side who do the same on the right wing echo chambers--they just have less hateful/harmful views. Otherwise, they're exactly the same in terms of bitching in moaning in an online cult echo chamber and doing little to nothing in the real world.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I used to read gaf news and gaming discussion nightly but never took part in actual posting until the purge of nutters.

Gaf has changed vastly for the better, as someone who didn’t participate before when you used to look in it was just a Sony sjw games journalists good echo chamber. Which was depressing because there was great discussion at times, and it’s great to have a board of people dedicated to the same things in life from across the globe.

Now we’re actually capable of having positive xbox discussion, negative Sony discussion and vise versa backwards and forwards between groups without being gang piled and banned. I’m sure several of us even in these thread have gone backwards and forwards between each other about our favourite consoles in other threads, but it feels more like banter now and a lot more light hearted then it used to be. I feel no real ill towards anyone in real life on here and it’s that enjoyable firey discussion now without feeling that we have to tread on eggshells about being banned for disagreeing with someone else that has now made this place greater than it ever was.

Senhua

As I said before one of the most disgusting trait of SJW's (in this case ERA cause they love to projecting their virtue everywhere) is us or them mentality. If you dissagree with them, you will be labeled as :
- incel
- bigot
- misogyny
- "insert another SJW's bingo card"

Codes 208

I miss the glory days of GAF. I still visit here a lot, but it seems like most of the big gaming news threads are only on ERA these days. I'm sick of the hyper political bullshit that seeps into and corrupts every single ERA thread, it's very hard to stomach the place lately.
That’s sadly not too much different from here. In the venom thread I was explaining why I found it enjoyable and of course someone read it as because it focused on a white guy with an Indian villain and I’m just sitting here like “...I don’t give two fucks about that, one of my favorite marvel movies in years is black panther, does that make me an alt left panderer?”

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That’s sadly not too much different from here. In the venom thread I was explaining why I found it enjoyable and of course someone read it as because it focused on a white guy with an Indian villain and I’m just sitting here like “...I don’t give two fucks about that, one of my favorite marvel movies in years is black panther, does that make me an alt left panderer?”

The difference being, you do not get auctioned here for rational and constructive opinions that are different from the group think/staff.

Patapwn

The comments there are pretty sad. Jaffe's general point of deplatforming are fair. You can disagree with them but that shouldn't make someone persona non grata.

It's like a religoius cult where someone makes an out of place comment and gets burned alive.

Exentryk

ResetEra has become (or already was) a really toxic place. I was one of the people that moved there after last year, but have been noticing more and more how even the mods have their own agendas and won't even follow their own forum rules like managing thread derailments, abusive and rude behavior, etc., as long as the views of the poster align with their (mods') views. It's more likely that the person highlighting these issues will get banned. Better to call it CensorEra.

I still visit there to read the news and participate is some OTs which aren't here on GAF. But I'd love for GAF to become more active so I wouldn't need to visit there at all.

Top Bottom