• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe (creator of God of War) annoyed by forum

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Huh. Never heard that before. "Y'all" is commonly used in much of the midwest.

And the south. Drove me nuts moving down here from the north/mid-atlantic. Southern accents are like nails on a chalk board to me. Thankfully it's not that frequent in Atlanta as a majority of the in-town population (at least in the nicer neighborhoods) are transplants. It's very common in our social circles for people, including us, to have no friends here actually from Atlanta or Georgia in general.

But yeah, it's definitely not a black thing in my experience. It's a southern, rural white thing here for the most part. I imagine rural blacks say it too as language is so localized. But I almost never venture outside of the city or run into black people from outside the city. White people from outside the metro are more common as they come in for work, sporting events, attending GSU or GT etc. Whole lot of "y'all" from those people, especially the older ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

JordanN

Banned
8t0ilq6.jpg

Brilliant.

RZQl6qc.gif

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah, they should be more like NewGAF where we label people that we disagree with as:
- cucks
- NPCs
- SJWs

Oh, wait, labeling people you dont like or disagree with derogatory titles? Why, thats the exact same thing that ResetEra does. How can that be?!

Couple things.
1.) You aren't banned at NeoGaf for being called those terms.
2.) Being a Cuck/NPC/SJW is a childish, but ultimately mild insult. It insults your actions. It has nothing on the gravity that being falsely accused of sexism/racism/transphobia/misogyny does as those attack your entire being. They are not at all one in the same or on the same level.

deathsaber

I'm going to go beyond Jaffe, who I honesty have no opinion about. But theres been a lot of talk about ERA vs. GAF so here goes

I lurk and post both here and at ERA. ERA- has its uses, breaking gaming news, discussion, and whatnot. As a place that offers that stuff, I do give it traffic. But boy oh boy - for me there is certainly plenty of threads to avoid, as sometimes discussion is offered, but discussion is certainly not what is ultimately allowed or given over there.

The funny thing, is I'm a Democrat and a liberal, but I've been told over there I'm not a Democrat (LOL, do I have to produce my voter registration or something), and that should be a Trump supporter many times (I'm not) for expressing opinions that (IMO) are reasonable.

Some recent random hot takes over there that I noted recently accepted by the zeitgeist over there.

1. If you EVER eat at Chik Fil A- you are a horrible person. No question. (I don't like the politics of their ownership, but fuck it I like their chicken and I'm GOING to eat it so fuck off. Their politics don't really matter in my business relationship with them and my belly, and if they have conservative ownership, who backs those causes, that's their business, but it doesn't sway who I vote for, so that noise really doesn't matter to me if I eat there)

2. Sexualization is always bad. (Just another example of individuals pushing THEIR preferences on everyone. I don't mind some titillation as a straight male where hot depictions of women are concenred, and I'll buy those games if they look appealing to me. Those who don't like them, don't buy them. And society will always determine what gets made, as if not enough people buy something, it WON'T be made. Ladies can gladly have games that objectify the hell out of men, and more power to them and anyone who wants to make that game, and I hope it becomes a hit. Variety is the spice of life- we got stuff marketed to men, stuff for women, both sexual and non sexual in nature, things that are neutral, things that are family friendly, etc. Having that CHOICE is great! But that opinion makes me a monster over there)

3. You are not a true Democrat/liberal unless you are unfriending and accosting/confronting every person that's ever voted conservative or holds a conservative view and especially if you aren't attending a protest/rally or have done so in the recent past. (I told them that protest is find and dandy, but the only thing that truly matters is showing up on election day and voting. I do it EVERY TIME, and I always pretty much vote the straight Democratic ticket, so MY part is done, and screw those fucks who say I'm not a Democrat/liberal/whatever. Sure, not every candidate is perfect or my favorite, but it far outweighs putting ANY Republican in office or giving them indirect votes by picking some weird third party choice that isn't even slightly competitive. Also, we can disagree with other people politically but still LIVE with them, and even be friendly with them in regular, neutral, non-political life- it is pretty much half the population, and I'm not drawing a line in the sand with the whole world. Heck, I'd literally be talking to no one in my workplace if I did that. So yeah, again, screw that)

So anyway, sorry about the self indulgent rant, and that it got off topic. Anyone who doesn't agree with my stances, that's fine. Above all else, I just believe in kindness being a virtue for everyone, and that's what I think is important no matter what for all of us.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Couple things.
2.) Being a Cuck/NPC/SJW is a childish, but ultimately mild insult. It insults your actions. It has nothing on the gravity that being falsely accused of sexism/racism/transphobia/misogyny does as those attack your entire being. They are not at all one in the same or on the same level.

I agree. Though I do feel those terms should be banned here (or at least ban calling other members/people those things). They're lazy, loaded terms and when used they pretty much kill off any chance for meaningful debate.

It's also a bad look for the site that they're allowed to fly around so much as people who come and just browse through to see what the vibe of GAF is are going to see those and think it's some Alt Right shithole. When it's clearly not and it's just a vocal minority of idiots tossing those terms around. GAF can (and should) allow any and all viewpoints (blantant hate posts aside of course), but it should require those view points be shared maturely and respectfully.

Traffic isn't going to increase if that kind of discourse is common--or if it does increase it will end up attracting more actual alt right types that I think no one on staff here wants.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm going to go beyond Jaffe, who I honesty have no opinion about. But theres been a lot of talk about ERA vs. GAF so here goes

I lurk and post both here and at ERA. ERA- has its uses, breaking gaming news, discussion, and whatnot. As a place that offers that stuff, I do give it traffic. But boy oh boy - for me there is certainly plenty of threads to avoid, as sometimes discussion is offered, but discussion is certainly not what is ultimately allowed or given over there.

The funny thing, is I'm a Democrat and a liberal, but I've been told over there I'm not a Democrat (LOL, do I have to produce my voter registration or something), and that should be a Trump supporter many times (I'm not) for expressing opinions that (IMO) are reasonable.

Some recent random hot takes over there that I noted recently accepted by the zeitgeist over there.

1. If you EVER eat at Chik Fil A- you are a horrible person. No question. (I don't like the politics of their ownership, but fuck it I like their chicken and I'm GOING to eat it so fuck off. Their politics don't really matter in my business relationship with them and my belly, and if they have conservative ownership, who backs those causes, that's their business, but it doesn't sway who I vote for, so that noise really doesn't matter to me if I eat there)

2. Sexualization is always bad. (Just another example of individuals pushing THEIR preferences on everyone. I don't mind some titillation as a straight male where hot depictions of women are concenred, and I'll buy those games if they look appealing to me. Those who don't like them, don't buy them. And society will always determine what gets made, as if not enough people buy something, it WON'T be made. Ladies can gladly have games that objectify the hell out of men, and more power to them and anyone who wants to make that game, and I hope it becomes a hit. Variety is the spice of life- we got stuff marketed to men, stuff for women, both sexual and non sexual in nature, things that are neutral, things that are family friendly, etc. Having that CHOICE is great! But that opinion makes me a monster over there)

3. You are not a true Democrat/liberal unless you are unfriending and accosting/confronting every person that's ever voted conservative or holds a conservative view and especially if you aren't attending a protest/rally or have done so in the recent past. (I told them that protest is find and dandy, but the only thing that truly matters is showing up on election day and voting. I do it EVERY TIME, and I always pretty much vote the straight Democratic ticket, so MY part is done, and screw those fucks who say I'm not a Democrat/liberal/whatever. Sure, not every candidate is perfect or my favorite, but it far outweighs putting ANY Republican in office or giving them indirect votes by picking some weird third party choice that isn't even slightly competitive. Also, we can disagree with other people politically but still LIVE with them, and even be friendly with them in regular, neutral, non-political life- it is pretty much half the population, and I'm not drawing a line in the sand with the whole world. Heck, I'd literally be talking to no one in my workplace if I did that. So yeah, again, screw that)

So anyway, sorry about the self indulgent rant, and that it got off topic. Anyone who doesn't agree with my stances, that's fine. Above all else, I just believe in kindness being a virtue for everyone, and that's what I think is important no matter what for all of us.

Sounds almost like they are the "Russian Bots" with this cult-like mentality of divide, divide, divide, as they keep pushing the pendulum in one direction. ;)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
this is what really triggers me about that site. even if you just state 'i agree or disagree' on an article with that statement, the mods there will fucking post this shit. ridiculous rationalization.

Yep, that's my biggest issues with the site for sure.

Best example was banning people for saying they would still buy Cyberpunk 2077 and didn't care about the GoG tweets. That wasn't a minority opinion, it was a MAJORITY opinion as shown by this poll during the "controversy," before the idiot mods shut it down.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/are-you-buying-cyberpunk-2077.76506/

Raven117

Gold Member
Southern accents are like nails on a chalk board to me
Dude, the use of y'all is used be EVERYONE in the South, its not a race thing.

Moreover, the northern accent, especially places like Philadelphia, Boston, and to a lesser degree New York, is like hearing a human voice violently dragged across a cheese grater.

Back to the matter at hand

Amen dude. ResetERA is honestly worse than oldGaf now in its depths of idiocy. Ideas of free-thinking and Western thought are completely trashed for strict adherence to whatever dogma they have chosen. I have come to realize that the average poster over there is just very young and they are looking for a sense of belonging in a group. (Not unlike the alt-right in many instances). They constantly try to out peacock each other in who can be the most "virtuous" while shunning the very ideas that allowed this to be discussed and addressed in the first place.

Over time, newGaf will continue to gain members and hopefully keep its position as a place where now you can have a different opinion so long as you back it up and are arguing in good faith (or honestly just questioning the rationale).

Last edited:
Dude, the use of y'all is used be EVERYONE in the South, its not a race thing.

Moreover, the northern accent, especially places like Philadelphia, Boston, and to a lesser degree New York, is like hearing a human voice violently dragged across a cheese grater.

Back to the matter at hand
New England accents are theeeeee worst....but a woman with a British accent is the most magical sound in the universe

This is the general issue and is linked to the problem of labeling people that someone mentioned a few pages back. There is no defense possible, either you're guilty and admit it, or they'll frame you so.

Essentially Resetera moderation is no better than Tumblr machine flagging: it's all about false positives.

You can draw the line, decide that the only good Nazi is a dead Nazi. Make this a stance. But then the problem is that they don't simply go against the self-proclaimed Nazis, but they start seeing them EVERYWHERE. See that guy sitting next to you? See how he glances at you? That must be a Nazi. Everyone who even has a nuanced opinion about something that is more complex than simply black/white, and not immediately identifiable, then it triggers a suspicion. Jaffe here is a good example because he's been accused of dog-whistling. Not accused for what he explicitly said, but accused of some secret message he wanted to send and that they were so smart to decode for what it TRULY was.

It simply becomes a witch hunt. Everything that isn't perfectly clear cut and aligned is better eliminated. Just to be safe (and preserve purity). It doesn't matter what you actually say and write, because they'll always add their own narrative, their own interpretation that they only imagined. You'll be accused of "antagonizing" someone, "rationalizing" this or that, "dismissing" or "downplaying" something else. Even if you've never done anything like that. Even if your argument was about a different topic.

Essentially they have such broad strokes, so vague, that they can be ideally applied to 100% of the posts. It's purely arbitrary because no matter what's actually written, the moderator might have a suspicion that what you said is actually against this or that. That you are a Nazi in disguise, and that this makes them even more clever for having spotted and exposed you for what you truly are.

Once you are hunting for implicit messages and interpretations there's no space left to discuss anything. They'll say they are so smart that they know better than you the kind of message you were trying to send. They know you better than yourself, and your prejudices and privileges buried so deep that they only can see and expose them.

Just be thankful that you're made aware that you're a sinner. They are inquisitors, it's their job to "know better" and beyond any possible doubt. After all, when you're in a war, you cannot have second thoughts. It's either you or them.

If we are at peace then it makes sense to have a measured, rational discussion. But they feel at war, instead. And in a war having doubts, or sowing doubts, weakens your faction and your possibility to win. You instead need to wield that certainty as a weapon, be sure you're absolutely right. You need to reinforce your identity and rise your flag high. Be one, one will, and push back with all your strength, and never look back.

Thiagosc777

David Jaffe has long been one of my favorite developers. He wears his emotions on his sleeve. If you can, I highly suggest you find some of his videos on Twisted Metal where he was in near tears due to the launch of the PS3 release. He truly cares, even if he is foul-mouthed about it. Keep being awesome, Jaffe.

I disagree, using an internet term, he seems like a "sperg". He is a bit like Angry Joe, ranting like a lunatic, the only difference is that AJ occasionally makes good points.

I watched one video of him criticizing a fan calling out Cliffy B for no Lan option for Lawbreakers, making the game unplayable after the company went down, and he was acting self-righteous, calling the guy stupid and whatnot. Except the guy was just asking for the ability to set up private servers like every game has done since the beginning of online gaming, like Quake or Counter-Strike.

His argument was so asinine, that it was painful to watch. For example he claimed that it was impossible to make a standalone server because the devs had to communicate with the company's infrastructure for matchmaking, except that private servers don't use matchmaking at all. Or he cited achievements or unlockables, except nobody gives a fuck about them, private servers are about being able to play the game.

That's how gamers lose respect for developers. He was basically saying that Counter-Strike is impossible.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is the general issue and is linked to the problem of labeling people that someone mentioned a few pages back. There is no defense possible, either you're guilty and admit it, or they'll frame you so.

Essentially Resetera moderation is no better than Tumblr machine flagging: it's all about false positives.

You can draw the line, decide that the only good Nazi is a dead Nazi. Make this a stance. But then the problem is that they don't simply go against the self-proclaimed Nazis, but they start seeing them EVERYWHERE. See that guy sitting next to you? See how he glances at you? That must be a Nazi. Everyone who even has a nuanced opinion about something that is more complex than simply black/white, and not immediately identifiable, then it triggers a suspicion. Jaffe here is a good example because he's been accused of dog-whistling. Not accused for what he explicitly said, but accused of some secret message he wanted to send and that they were so smart to decode for what it TRULY was.

It simply becomes a witch hunt. Everything that isn't perfectly clear cut and aligned is better eliminated. Just to be safe (and preserve purity). It doesn't matter what you actually say and write, because they'll always add their own narrative, their own interpretation that they only imagined. You'll be accused of "antagonizing" someone, "rationalizing" this or that, "dismissing" or "downplaying" something else. Even if you've never done anything like that. Even if your argument was about a different topic.

Essentially they have such broad strokes, so vague, that they can be ideally applied to 100% of the posts. It's purely arbitrary because no matter what's actually written, the moderator might have a suspicion that what you said is actually against this or that. That you are a Nazi in disguise, and that this makes them even more clever for having spotted and exposed you for what you truly are.

Once you are hunting for implicit messages and interpretations there's no space left to discuss anything. They'll say they are so smart that they know better than you the kind of message you were trying to send. They know you better than yourself, and your prejudices and privileges buried so deep that they only can see and expose them.

Just be thankful that you're made aware that you're a sinner. They are inquisitors, it's their job to "know better" and beyond any possible doubt. After all, when you're in a war, you cannot have second thoughts. It's either you or them.

If we are at peace then it makes sense to have a measured, rational discussion. But they feel at war, instead. And in a war having doubts, or sowing doubts, weakens your faction and your possibility to win. You instead need to wield that certainty as a weapon, be sure you're absolutely right. You need to reinforce your identity and rise your flag high. Be one, one will, and push back with all your strength, and never look back.

Yet ironically, they (those extremist types) are the only one's who can hear this, "dog whistle". ;)

Duallusion

Dog whistle? That's new to me lol. But yeah, good on jaffe. Getting banned from resetera was like my shackles being cut loose. It was awesome. Banned for life because I said I didn't want political views in my videogame reviews. Which to Era means "supporting hate speech ". Lol

Bunch of self important, echo chamber, first year philosophy majors. That place is a cesspool

I highly doubt it. The sort of rhetoric and ideas enforced/propagated on RE (and here before that) sadly lack the perspective a proper look into some good ol' philosophy would provide.

Ogbert

New England accents are theeeeee worst....but a woman with a British accent is the most magical sound in the universe

To be fair, it depends where they’re from in the UK.

Talking to someone from Liverpool is like attempting to communicate with the Nazgul.

Lastyou1

Banned
Their new deadly enemy is Geoff Knightley, just because he is guilty of not deplatforming/inviting, Boogie, someone who just advocated for a middle ground and some diplomacy between Sjw of videogames and normal, sane people.

The "You either are with us or against us" attitude is some Orwellian distopy level of fuckery.

zenspider

Couple things.

I'm not a big fan of 'cuck', or 'NPC' - they're too dismissive (however hilariously accurate the latter is) of pejoratives to be taken as anythng but an ad hominum.

SJW makes an important distinction between social justice and Social Justice, and I think it's important to pull it out of the alt-right bin. It's an incredibly useful term.

There is a "non-SJW left" that is instrumental in the pushback against the brand of dogmatism coming from the extreme* left and mirrored on the alt-right.

*The intersectional left is way too corporatist-adjacent to be considered an extreme or radical position. That still belongs to proper-ass class conscious Marxists who understand how privilege actually works in capitalist models.

Last edited:

Osukaa

Honestly I have to agree with everything you said and I am a Far Left Gay Male lol. Resetera is just to much even for me lol.

# 1 I agree I dont care for ChickFil A policy towards people like me but ill be damned if ill stop eating there lol I take it as you know what, they have their views I have mine and its not like every employee is a religious nut. People are tying to hustle to make money so I have no ill will towards anyone who works there. I see it as a just a fast food joint with a crazy religious side that I dont have to deal with as its probably high upper management so meh to that lol.

# 2 THANK YOU!! I agree with this so much. If they don't like it then don't buy it. Easiest thing to do in the world.

# 3 I hate Tump to Holy Hell and back but yeah it's not like i'm going to hate someone just because you voted Republican (Even though its the wrong choice :p ). You have your views I have mine and nothing short of your own experiences will change your mind. So as long as we are respectful of each other I don't see any huge issues with it lol.

Last thing I wanted to throw in is that the way Resetera jumps the gun as far as accusations and turning on someone at the drop of a dime that disgusts me to no end. Especially the whole Migration that happened here I was amazed at how these people turned so fast against everyone that stayed. Like you I also see some threads and im like no im not gonna even read it lol.

Oh and I also happen to like Jaffe as well, he's a good guy that says how he feels without thinking things over sometimes but that's what his charm is lol.

Darth

I just browsed the massive thread over there. They are proving that his video is 100% spot on about them.

SoulUnison

Banned

The idea of banning people for "hive mind" is kind of proof in and of itself that an insular echo chamber is exactly what they're trying to cultivate and that the community is trying to make membership to this internet forum to be something of a... What would be the right term? Cult is too strong. Maybe a "secular religion."

The thread over there is 80% people who've obviously not even watch or read a transcript of Jaffe's words, but who are instantly and deeply personally offended by the idea that something they're "related to" could be misbehaving or wrong. A dude doesn't care for the internet site they hang out on, so they're immediately ready to blacklist him from society at large. It's disturbing, really. This is the other end of radicalization.

The moderation team is trying to desperately and disingenuously create their "ideal" community by instantly exiling anyone who even slightly annoys them, but they're going to end up with a small group of survivors who are constantly suspicious of each other and walking on eggshells.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They are such a bunch of haters, any reason, no matter how flimsy is enough for them to grab their pitchforks.

They truly are the idiot villagers of gaming.

Sparda

Banned
yeah people there have many problems. Their hype threads are retard, especially Nintendo ones with the expression "reset the clock". it's only good for news.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Separation of church and state, yes.

But it is most assuredly not based upon Atheism. The history of the West is the history of liberal Christianity. Most of of our values derive from the New Testament.

eh no. they are derived from human decency which then turned into the 10 commandments. human decency came first. unless you believe in god and that he was a burning bush. also christianity came from the middle east...

SoulUnison

Banned

Extremely relatable.

I've been a registered Democrat since I turned 18, much to the dismay of my mother, who tried to forcibly register me Republican until I reminded her that tampering with another person's registration/ballot is a felony. I just voted straight ticket Democrat to try to bring some accountability and balance back into our government. Yet, when ERA had a thread about protesters harassing people in restaurants and showing up at citizen's private residences I expressed discomfort over it.

Why not go after the advertisers aligned with these individuals and get their funding and sponsorships removed?
Why not pursue elected offices so that policies can be tangibly changed?

If it's justified for a group to harass people in public and/or at their homes because of their opinions (regardless of how terrible those may actually be,) then who's to say who's next on the list? Look at anyone closely enough and you'll find dirt. How will some of these people cheering for this behavior feel if they're the next person to be yelled at at a restaurant or to feel unable to leave their home because of the group waiting for them outside? I want to feel safe in public and at home in America, and that means I have to extend the same comfort to everyone, regardless of their political leanings. That's the Golden Rule. People support gun control because they don't want to be randomly shot in public. I don't scream at, threaten or attack people in public (unless we're talking, like, stepping in against somebody assaulting an innocent) because I don't want to be screamed at or attack while at the grocery store, or something. These are just, like, basic tenets you buy into for the ability to live in a civilized society.

I shared this opinion on ERA is this same tone, using sober and civil language, and was absolutely screamed at. Called "an evil motherfucker," (this person wasn't even warned, by the way. I thought this type of personal attack wasn't allowed?), repeatedly told I was lying about being a Democrat and I was some sort of alt-right spy who'd posted on GAF and ERA for almost a decade from a liberal viewpoint and then just suddenly decided to switch sides? Talk about a long con.

I say this as just about as much as someone can be a liberal, being a gay, bi-racial, adopted individual: ResetERA, at the very least its moderation team, is what happens when progressives become authoritarian. They're trying to create as their "perfect environment" by force, using moderation and exile as a political hammer, except, when you're so terrified and paranoid that you have to banish 75% of your population to feel "safe," then you're probably never going to feel secure regardless - you just end up more and more paranoid, increasingly lashing out and alienating and browbeating the few people who've somehow stuck by you to that point.

Similarly, I was told on ERA that prejudice against whites isn't "real" racism.

No. Wrong.

I'm bi-racial black/Irish. SO many times - TOO many times - as a child I was made to feel lesser or weaker because of my black blood. Even my own family would tell me "Just don't bring it up with people." Nobody would disagree that that was racism, so why is it that now, as an adult, so many people are trying to make me feel inferior because of my white blood, and when I point out the double standard I'm the one being "problematic?" Saying "racism is racism regardless of the mixture of skin colors involved" got me a ton of insulting and dismissive replies on ERA, including "Sure, keep telling yourself that," and a "Sure, Jan" GIF. I thought "being dismissive of real issues" was something that people got moderated for over there, but none of those people were earned and I was banned for "inflammatory false equivalences." According to the moderation staff of ResetERA and the precedents they've repeatedly set, racism against whites is objectively preferable to racism against any other ethnic group. Both of my "halves" ore part of my "whole." If it was racism to belittle me for African ancestry, it's racism to belittle me for Irish heritage. It's a blatantly obvious double standard that no reasonable person shouldn't be able to see.

I'm not trying to brag or anything when I say this just now, but I'm a good poster. I'm reasonably intelligent, fairly well-spoken, and I genuinely like having long (respectful) conversations where views and ideas clash against each other and every one walks away a little more enlightened. ERA doesn't want that. They don't want to be a "discussion" forum - they want to be an "agreement" forum.

Last edited:
ResetERA still exists?

I was hoping it would wither away and die after I got banned for criticizing Nintendo, but apparently that hasn't happened yet.

Give it time. Its the same idiots that controlled speech and thought on this forum for a long time. I remember how many people came out expressing relief and suppressed anger when they all finally left.

Darth

"I thought this type of personal attack wasn't allowed? "

Only if you are not part of the extreme left. or their "ally".

I just browsed the massive thread over there. They are proving that his video is 100% spot on about them.

Yep. Saw that too. So high and mighty they think they are. Eventually that place will implode when no one can be quite left enough and everyone starts accusing each other of being a Nazi.

About Boogie going to TGA thread.

"Fuck this facist's show."
"Wow, Balrog is a Nazi sympathizer too? Should be it's own thread if it's not already. People should know about this, he's the director for one of the biggest games of the year and Sony first party dev."

How easily they throw words like "nazi" pisses me off. This shit is so toxic, I really really need to find another site that has as much gaming news as ERA.

Extremely relatable.

I've been a registered Democrat since I turned 18, much to the dismay of my mother, who tried to forcibly register me Republican until I reminded her that tampering with another person's registration/ballot is a felony. I just voted straight ticket Democrat to try to bring some accountability and balance back into our government. Yet, when ERA had a thread about protesters harassing people in restaurants and showing up at citizen's private residences I expressed discomfort over it.

Why not go after the advertisers aligned with these individuals and get their funding and sponsorships removed?
Why not pursue elected offices so that policies can be tangibly changed?

If it's justified for a group to harass people in public and/or at their homes because of their opinions (regardless of how terrible those may actually be,) then who's to say who's next on the list? Look at anyone closely enough and you'll find dirt. How will some of these people cheering for this behavior feel if they're the next person to be yelled at at a restaurant or to feel unable to leave their home because of the group waiting for them outside? I want to feel safe in public and at home in America, and that means I have to extend the same comfort to everyone, regardless of their political leanings. That's the Golden Rule. People support gun control because they don't want to be randomly shot in public. I don't scream at, threaten or attack people in public (unless we're talking, like, stepping in against somebody assaulting an innocent) because I don't want to be screamed at or attack while at the grocery store, or something. These are just, like, basic tenets you buy into for the ability to live in a civilized society.

I shared this opinion on ERA is this same tone, using sober and civil language, and was absolutely screamed at. Called "an evil motherfucker," (this person wasn't even warned, by the way. I thought this type of personal attack wasn't allowed?), repeatedly told I was lying about being a Democrat and I was some sort of alt-right spy who'd posted on GAF and ERA for almost a decade from a liberal viewpoint and then just suddenly decided to switch sides? Talk about a long con.

I say this as just about as much as someone can be a liberal, being a gay, bi-racial, adopted individual: ResetERA, at the very least its moderation team, is what happens when progressives become authoritarian. They're trying to create as their "perfect environment" by force, using moderation and exile as a political hammer, except, when you're so terrified and paranoid that you have to banish 75% of your population to feel "safe," then you're probably never going to feel secure regardless - you just end up more and more paranoid, increasingly lashing out and alienating and browbeating the few people who've somehow stuck by you to that point.

Similarly, I was told on ERA that prejudice against whites isn't "real" racism.

No. Wrong.

I'm bi-racial black/Irish. SO many times - TOO many times - as a child I was made to feel lesser or weaker because of my black blood. Even my own family would tell me "Just don't bring it up with people." Nobody would disagree that that was racism, so why is it that now, as an adult, so many people are trying to make me feel inferior because of my white blood, and when I point out the double standard I'm the one being "problematic?" Saying "racism is racism regardless of the mixture of skin colors involved" got me a ton of insulting and dismissive replies on ERA, including "Sure, keep telling yourself that," and a "Sure, Jan" GIF. I thought "being dismissive of real issues" was something that people got moderated for over there, but none of those people were earned and I was banned for "inflammatory false equivalences." According to the moderation staff of ResetERA and the precedents they've repeatedly set, racism against whites is objectively preferable to racism against any other ethnic group. Both of my "halves" ore part of my "whole." If it was racism to belittle me for African ancestry, it's racism to belittle me for Irish heritage. It's a blatantly obvious double standard that no reasonable person shouldn't be able to see.

I'm not trying to brag or anything when I say this just now, but I'm a good poster. I'm reasonably intelligent, fairly well-spoken, and I genuinely like having long (respectful) conversations where views and ideas clash against each other and every one walks away a little more enlightened. ERA doesn't want that. They don't want to be a "discussion" forum - they want to be an "agreement" forum.

Great post. I'm a Dem as well, but not much of a fan of the pitchfork wielding mob mentality.

Raven117

Gold Member
I highly doubt it. The sort of rhetoric and ideas enforced/propagated on RE (and here before that) sadly lack the perspective a proper look into some good ol' philosophy would provide.
Agreed. So many of their posts simply reek of immaturity and lack of a proper education that challenges every tenant of your being.

Our society, our citizens are weaker because of the far left posters on Reset, not stronger.

DaForest

Banned
David Jaffe turns out to be an awful human being who sympathizes with Nazis. Shocked by that. Really.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

The problem isn't that they censor right-wing politics, it's that they censor such politics while shilling liberal ones at the same time. It should be a felony to politicize education.

SoulUnison

Banned
You know, I don't actually think ResetERA even wants to be a forum so much as the creators saw an opportunity to exploit a political movement of the moment and hijack the community in an attempt to monetize them. Look at the stark difference in the two redesigns. GAF looks modern and streamlined. ERA is somehow functionally and aesthetically inferior to is previous version except now there's a giant "Subscribe to our paid service" banner across the bottom of every single page. It's like GAF's goal was to improve the forum experience while ERA's goal was to make absolutely sure every user knows they can now spend money.

That might be a reason that moderation is so overbearing and politically motivated over there - to keep advertisers happy and to desperately maintain the population by force.

DaForest

Banned
Seems to me he sympathizes with the Constitution, civics, and basic human rights.

Everything not a Nazi.

Seems to me that torpedoing whatever remained of his credibility - and career - to defend the free speech of self-admitted Nazis makes him a Nazi sympathizer. At this point, I'm literally shocked when finding out that a gaming industry luminary isn't alt-right. That's where we have arrived at as a nation.

Seems to me that torpedoing whatever remained of his credibility - and career - to defend the free speech of self-admitted Nazis makes him a Nazi sympathizer. At this point, I'm literally shocked when finding out that a gaming industry luminary isn't alt-right. That's where we have arrived at as a nation.
I'll take things fascist libtards say for $500 Alex.

Top Bottom