• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe (creator of God of War) annoyed by forum

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Seems to me that torpedoing whatever remained of his credibility - and career - to defend the free speech of self-admitted Nazis makes him a Nazi sympathizer. At this point, I'm literally shocked when finding out that a gaming industry luminary isn't alt-right. That's where we have arrived at as a nation.

This post is quite the reflection, innit?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
About Boogie going to TGA thread.

"Fuck this facist's show."
"Wow, Balrog is a Nazi sympathizer too? Should be it's own thread if it's not already. People should know about this, he's the director for one of the biggest games of the year and Sony first party dev."

How easily they throw words like "nazi" pisses me off. This shit is so toxic, I really really need to find another site that has as much gaming news as ERA.
https://resetera.live

All the news without the bullshit.

Ogbert

At this point, I'm literally shocked when finding out that a gaming industry luminary isn't alt-right.

Unfortunately, you're not literally shocked. If you were, it would be quite amusing.

You would jump out of your seat, hair on end, exclaiming in a high pitched voice that something had sent an electric shock through your body.

Last edited:

Denton

That was well said by Jaffe.

Resetera is a toxic landfill. But at the same time, it is kinda amusing to read their daily "15 minutes of hate" threads. And to think...NeoGaf used to be that. When it died, I was actually glad for a moment...only to see resetera becoming much worse than NeoGaf has ever been. And then Gaf became an actually chill place. Funny how that works.

Seems to me that torpedoing whatever remained of his credibility - and career - to defend the free speech of self-admitted Nazis makes him a Nazi sympathizer. At this point, I'm literally shocked when finding out that a gaming industry luminary isn't alt-right. That's where we have arrived at as a nation.

The "alt-right" of today was the centrist of 20 years ago lol.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Friends I present to you the Resetera concept map:

1544027067135.jpg

I honestly doubt that any thread past 5 posts make it without one of those examples.

Is this really the hill you choose to die on?

Cosmogony

[…] but yeah I do think freedom of speech doesn't mean everyone should be able to incite hatred against others without consequence so saying that freedom of speech means you should be able to say anything is wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for redefining Freedom of Speech as Freedom of Speech to say whatever Al3x1s finds acceptable. Maybe the Constitution could be amended, you know, to better reflect your sovereignty.

Thanks for vaulting over his distinction between public and private spaces. In general, thanks for ignoring or misrepresenting his arguments.

Dunno if the person he defended did spew hate or not, but the defence has been that he should be able to cos freedom of speech so I'm pointing out that's a fallacy as far as I'm concerned,

Oh, I see. You have your own special set of fallacies only you can detect.

Seems to me that torpedoing whatever remained of his credibility - and career - to defend the free speech of self-admitted Nazis

Name one, 1, a single self-admitted nazi whose freedom of speech he defended.

makes him a Nazi sympathizer.

Slanderous lie of the lowest kind.

At this point, I'm literally shocked

I have no trouble believing this.

when finding out that a gaming industry luminary isn't alt-right. That's where we have arrived at as a nation.

Alt-right, nazi, with you these are all interchangeable, because they are all meaningless anyway. It's just mud to throw, so why get prissy about what you're throwing, right?

Fbh

Fuckin lol the other God of War dude is getting in their crosshairs now

https://www.resetera.com/threads/bo...to-white-supremacy.85492/page-2#post-15707359

It must be exhausting having to keep a list of everyone you hate and everyone you are boycotting based not only on the stuff that a specific person posts on social media but also the stuff being posted by people whom this person is friendly towards.

Are these people like this in real life too ?.
"Sorry Mike it has been fun hanging out with you at the office but I saw you shake hands with Dave yesterday and you even greeted him with a smile. I know as a fact that Dave voted for Trump so by extension you can go fuck yourself too"

Last edited:

Aenima

I may not agree with everething Jaff say, but his on point in ResetEra critics. Im a member of both ResetEra and Gaf, and while most ppl on ResetEra are former Gaf members, i already have been banned more times on ResetEra in 1 year, than in GAF in 14 years. If you dont follow the "extreme leftist" mentality and opinions there, getting a ban just to shut ur opinion down is way too easy.

zenspider

Honestly I have to agree with everything you said and I am a Far Left Gay Male lol. Resetera is just to much even for me lol.

# 1 I agree I dont care for ChickFil A policy towards people like me but ill be damned if ill stop eating there lol I take it as you know what, they have their views I have mine and its not like every employee is a religious nut. People are tying to hustle to make money so I have no ill will towards anyone who works there. I see it as a just a fast food joint with a crazy religious side that I dont have to deal with as its probably high upper management so meh to that lol.

# 2 THANK YOU!! I agree with this so much. If they don't like it then don't buy it. Easiest thing to do in the world.

# 3 I hate Tump to Holy Hell and back but yeah it's not like i'm going to hate someone just because you voted Republican (Even though its the wrong choice :p ). You have your views I have mine and nothing short of your own experiences will change your mind. So as long as we are respectful of each other I don't see any huge issues with it lol.

Last thing I wanted to throw in is that the way Resetera jumps the gun as far as accusations and turning on someone at the drop of a dime that disgusts me to no end. Especially the whole Migration that happened here I was amazed at how these people turned so fast against everyone that stayed. Like you I also see some threads and im like no im not gonna even read it lol.

Oh and I also happen to like Jaffe as well, he's a good guy that says how he feels without thinking things over sometimes but that's what his charm is lol.

I shouldn't be so elated by a nuanced perspective, but here we are!

This is why I really hope the #theydontspeakforus hashtag / meme gains traction. Making this a left-right issue only serves to polarize. There's plenty of people who believe in real social justice, not the post-modern 'Social Justice' imposter that has done absolutely nothing to progress equality or justice and is rotting the conversation.

The Chik-Fil-a thing is hilarious. I'm a far left vegetarian, and even I'll admit their sandwiches are too good to boycott haha.

Last edited:

Michele

you.
Brillante, brillante.

Finally, he admits that Resetera is a very toxic place.

Now to attempt to get his contact email, and get him back to our place. davidjaffe davidjaffe

I am sure that users on Era will be very angry to get this message. But I am also genuinely worried for him, since he may be doxxed.

Last edited:

DaForest

Banned

Centrists of today aren't really that removed from the alt-right, thanks to how far the Democrats have allowed us to be pushed rightward on the Overton Window. Thankfully, a growing majority of people are becoming fed up with the centrism and both-sideism drivel that we now see the likes of Jaffe trading in. It was the inevitable result of changing demographics, greater power in the hands of the once marginalized, and an inability to equivocate when fascism is now staring us in the face. The same democratization that allowed the far right to fester on the internet has enabled their opponents to do the same, resulting in a crystallization of views at both ends of the spectrum. The middle, as we see with disingenuous frauds like Jaffe and Boogie, is for people too cowardly to join their friends in the alt-right. There is no such thing as a true centrist in this environment, nor should there be.

Last edited:

DaForest

Banned
Name one, 1, a single self-admitted nazi whose freedom of speech he defended.
He defended Milo, someone who has been videotaped giving the Nazi salute, who wears Nazi iconography, who has associated with other Neo-Nazis, and who has written terribly offensive things about other races and genders. Is that a good enough example?

Slanderous lie of the lowest kind.

It really isn't when we have his recent words.

Alt-right, nazi, with you these are all interchangeable, because they are all meaningless anyway. It's just mud to throw, so why get prissy about what you're throwing, right?

If the shoe fits, man. If Jaffe doesn't want to be labeled a Nazi sympathizer, he shouldn't be spending hours tweeting and making videos to defend Neo-Nazis' right to free speech.

Last edited:

Helios

The middle, as we see with disingenuous frauds like Jaffe and Boogie, is for people too cowardly to join their friends in the alt-right
>Centrists are actually nazis in hiding
What are you talking about? Do you know how the political spectrum works? I can bet my left nut that Jaffe is a leftist based on all the other points that he made that I don't personally agree with. And I'm also to the left. Not dating trans people and believing in free speech does not make you alt-right. This is not a DnD alignment chart.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He defended Milo, someone who has been videotaped giving the Nazi salute, who wears Nazi iconography, who has associated with other Neo-Nazis, and who has written terribly offensive things about other races and genders. Is that a good enough example?

No, he defended Milo's 1st Amendment and civil rights.

Last edited:

Arimer

ResetEra is great to me. I've never seen a group of people with so much hate pulling the holier than thou thing on such scale.

Kinda ironic. Wasn't resetera made because "gaf was too controlling and banning people etc?"

It was made because the old mods ruined neogaf by being extremists with their political view. Basically the way you see them treat resetera is what they did on neogaf. No opposing opinions. Some big drama went down. Evillore came and cleaned house, they took their craziness to a place where they can control it and we all get to watch the experiment.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Centrists of today aren't really that removed from the alt-right, thanks to how far the Democrats have allowed us to be pushed rightward on the Overton Window. Thankfully, a growing majority of people are becoming fed up with the centrism and both-sideism drivel that we now see the likes of Jaffe trading in. It was the inevitable result of changing demographics, greater power in the hands of the once marginalized, and an inability to equivocate when fascism is now staring us in the face. The same democratization that allowed the far right to fester on the internet has enabled their opponents to do the same, resulting in a crystallization of views at both ends of the spectrum. The middle, as we see with disingenuous frauds like Jaffe and Boogie, is for people too cowardly to join their friends in the alt-right. There is no such thing as a true centrist in this environment, nor should there be.
Please go back to resetera.

LordRaptor

he shouldn't be spending hours tweeting and making videos to defend Neo-Nazis' right to free speech.

He's defending everyones rights to free speech, not specifically milo or neo-nazis.

I don't personally know the man, but if his principles are a belief in the right to free speech, then those are his principles.
And if you actually have principles, you don't easily toss them aside when they are inconvenient or awkward.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The middle is where the majority of people reside. The level headed rational people who thankfully still outnumber dangerous radicals like you.

Duallusion

This sort of reminds me of at least one (probably former, now RE) forumite who proudly posted this

now-now-guys-extreme-views-are-always-wrong-100-of-10177593.png

...as if it was some brilliant, end-of-an-argument encapsulation of a moderate position and how wrong it's suppose to be. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

bilderberg

If anyone here is a member there and, somehow, hasn't gotten banned, quit being a coward and speak up.

This sounds like shit I would make up on a college paper to guarantee getting a good grade. Just buzz words and disjointed thoughts. You trolling?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
If anyone here is a member there and, somehow, hasn't gotten banned, quit being a coward and speak up.

This sounds like shit I would make up on a college paper to guarantee getting a good grade. Just buzz words and disjointed thoughts. You trolling?
It makes no fucking sense. Basically they are saying everyone is an extremist and those who claim to be anything else are lying cowards.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I liked that rant from Jaffe. I saw something similar happening here before the split happened and I'm happy to see someone like him go off like that.

At the same time, I think that some of you here are a bit obsessed with what happens over there. To the point where it's getting unhealthy.

I can understand talking about them in this specific thread because that's specifically what Jaffe was addressing, but I'm observing it in other threads as well. It could be a topic completely just talking about normal gaming or off topic stuff and someone will pop in to take a shot at Reset for some reason.

DaForest

Banned
He's defending everyones rights to free speech, not specifically milo or neo-nazis.

I don't personally know the man, but if his principles are a belief in the right to free speech, then those are his principles.
And if you actually have principles, you don't easily toss them aside when they are inconvenient or awkward.

Sure, you do. You toss them aside when you have a movement of fascists seeking to appeal to the impressionable minds of the youth, showing up on college campuses to disingenuously peddle a defense of "free speech" that obscures a far more insidious agenda, one steeped in Neo-Nazi and Neo-Confederate ideology. And, no one is infringing on Milo's right to free speech. He is more than welcome to prop a soapbox on the corner, stand on top of it, and say whatever hateful bile his small mind can generate. There isn't a single person that is denying him that right.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
allgamesdelta.net also usually posts everything under the sun (probably copied from gematsu a lot of the time given the ordering) but sometimes they're inactive, like I remember it took them ages to post all the new stuff from the last big nintendo direct, if they even ever did it at all outside the big stuff like the smash bros unveil, that was kind of a bummer. Gematsu took a while to get there but it's proven to be a good successor to andriasang after all with the bonus of not only posting eastern news.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sure, you do. You toss them aside when you have a movement of fascists seeking to appeal to the impressionable minds of the youth, showing up on college campuses to disingenuously peddle a defense of "free speech" that obscures a far more insidious agenda, one steeped in Neo-Nazi and Neo-Confederate ideology. And, no one is infringing on Milo's right to free speech. He is more than welcome to prop a soapbox on the corner, stand on top of it, and say whatever hateful bile his small mind can generate. There isn't a single person that is denying him that right.
Growing up, it was pretty well understood that even the KKK has the right to their march and parade if they want. And the police should protect them from anyone trying to stop them if they have a permit and did it appropriately.

During that entire time, they just lost more and more influence. The amount of hate groups kept shrinking and people socially moved left on issue after issue very consistently.

It wasn't until the SJW left started trying to fascisitically impose their view by trampling on people's rights that we saw such a large resurgence. And of course there has been a backlash to that resulting in Trump getting elected. The more the SJW left tries to push their views by force, the more the backlash will grow. Even if all you're interested in is selfish advancement of your own viewpoint, tactically it isn't working at all. Hate groups have just grown.

The best thing that people like Milo could hope for is protesters using physical force to push him off campuses because it just feeds his fans and publicity. If the left wanted to really hurt him, all they had to do was just ignore him speeches and they would have zero publicity.

LordRaptor

the reason the first action totalitarian regimes take is to try and suppress free speech is because its the only fucking weapon that actually works. History is full of examples, and right now, today, in countries that actually have authoritarian states people risk their actual lives to espouse the ideals of freedom, equality and democracy.
Actual protesters taking actual risks. Not butt-hurt slacktivists on social media whining about the way the world is then blowing their pay check on black friday deals.

Because you can't kill ideas with bullets. And I question the motivations of anyone who wants to give away that essential liberty or deprive others of it.

Arkage

Banned

Milo isn't a Nazi. And most gaming industry luminaries are leftists as can be inferred from their company policy.

So you're telling me centrists of 20 years ago were hunky dory with significant numbers of Nazis and white supremacists marching with them, proudly Heil Hitlering at rallies and gatherings?

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
the reason the first action totalitarian regimes take is to try and suppress free speech is because its the only fucking weapon that actually works. History is full of examples, and right now, today, in countries that actually have authoritarian states people risk their actual lives to espouse the ideals of freedom, equality and democracy.
Actual protesters taking actual risks. Not butt-hurt slacktivists on social media whining about the way the world is then blowing their pay check on black friday deals.

Because you can't kill ideas with bullets. And I question the motivations of anyone who wants to give away that essential liberty or deprive others of it.
Damn right.

Is it just me or does almost every thread about controversial topics have someone stating this same phrase.

Hmm, let me consult the chart...

1544027067135.jpg

Yikes!

Oh sweet summer child, let's unpack this...

You do realize that the idea this phrase comes up in almost every controversial topic is a bit problematic? Y'all need to let that sink in...just shut up and listen, friendo. It's called being a decent human being! Wow...just wow.

As a white person, it's almost as if folks think dying on a hill defending bigotry is wholesome and I literally can't even...

Who hurt you?! Maybe, just maybe it is your toxic attitude?

:)

Am I doing this right?

Last edited:
I shared this opinion on ERA is this same tone, using sober and civil language, and was absolutely screamed at. Called "an evil motherfucker," (this person wasn't even warned, by the way. I thought this type of personal attack wasn't allowed?)

My opinion is that a good forum is one that regulates how a discussion takes place (motivate your point, avoid ad hominem, respect others' opinions, drop prejudices etc..), but that doesn't regulate the content of the discussion.

Resetera does the exact opposite: you can be mean, aggressive, disrespectful, whatever you want... Just as long you make clear you're fighting under the right flag. Whenever they get the slightest suspicion that you don't conform, you're flagged.

I say this as just about as much as someone can be a liberal, being a gay, bi-racial, adopted individual: ResetERA, at the very least its moderation team, is what happens when progressives become authoritarian. They're trying to create as their "perfect environment" by force, using moderation and exile as a political hammer, except, when you're so terrified and paranoid that you have to banish 75% of your population to feel "safe," then you're probably never going to feel secure regardless - you just end up more and more paranoid, increasingly lashing out and alienating and browbeating the few people who've somehow stuck by you to that point.

But it still works, in a way.

As before with Gaf, now Resetera is too big to care about false positives. The purity selection or, if you want, the possibility of finding a strong identity, are more important.

I think they are at war because they feel threatened. And everything like this thread, or reddit or whatever else, they feel mocked and attacked... what do you think is the outcome?

That this makes them stronger. Because for every push against them, they push back harder. Being under fire makes them more united, reinforces their identity in this "us vs them" that fuels their narrative. They'll feel they belong, and fighting for a good cause. For every criticism they receive, they find more purpose.

Without this they'd be just another forum, and they don't want to be that.

The problem with Resetera is this one: it's a model that actually works. That radicalization of opinions works. It fuels the war, it gives people focus. It doesn't matter if they employ the exact same patterns of their enemy, what's important is that it all works and reinforces positively their opinions and what they do.

That's why it's scary: because there's no boundary and it can be applied universally. Resetera is just another little example of a scenario that is spreading like a virus. And the problem with this is that, at the biggest possible scale, we have absolutely no defense against this.

(and let's also not forget that if things are instead maybe better here, on GAF, it is not because it was the plan. Gaf changed as a sort of knee jerk reaction to what happened. That only by chance also brought something actually positive. But it wasn't deliberate.)

I was just banned on Era for saying Boogie isn't a piece of shit, he just has different ideas about how to come to the same results on most things Era believes in already. I was banned for trolling and defending bigotry. LOL.

Glad to see NeoGAF isn't as crazy as it used to be. I'll probably be sticking around.

Helios

I was just banned on Era for saying Boogie isn't a piece of shit, he just has different ideas about how to come to the same results on most things Era believes in already. I was banned for trolling and defending bigotry. LOL.

Glad to see NeoGAF isn't as crazy as it used to be. I'll probably be sticking around.
Welcome back !

The middle is where the majority of people reside. The level headed rational people who thankfully still outnumber dangerous radicals like you.

Nope, this is just another mistake.

You're simply using another broad-stroke heuristic thinking that the middle of everything will always be right. It's not. There can be radical ideas that are actually good. There's no way to judge something at such a high level without directly engaging. The world is way more complex than that, and it's our problem. That's why during wars all that complexity is removed and everything is reduced to "us vs them".

But making it an issue of left - center - right, or even extreme left vs extreme right, is still about repeating the same mistake of removing complexity where complexity is what's required to understand what is going on and actually defuse this self-fueling death spiral and identity/purity wars.

Neon Noire

Banned

Your ban aside, how the fuck could you possibly believe boogie's absolute drivel to be an effective strategy for achieving anything? Literally all he does is talk about how moderate he is.

Your ban aside, how the fuck could you possibly believe boogie's absolute drivel to be an effective strategy for achieving anything? Literally all he does is talk about how moderate he is.

Because, as far as I understand it, here "moderation" doesn't automatically translate to: I'll aways be in the middle of whatever controversy.

I think that what Boogie does is a way to say: STOP. Think. Don't immediately jump to conclusions. Be rational. Consider the various aspects of an issue without immediately taking a stance.

It's not about taking a position squarely in the middle, it's about suspending taking a position and understand instead what is going on. Leaving behind prejudices.

People usually urge you to take a stance, join the war. I think Boogie in this case hasn't joined the faction in the "middle". He's actually refusing taking any stance. And in the current situation I think that refusing to join the war is actually the more rational way to defuse this trend that is accelerating toward disaster.

It's like, if this is the prelude to a war, maybe we should do our best to PREVENT the war itself, instead of being quick to join the faction we'll have to fight for.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Because, as far as I understand it, here "moderation" doesn't automatically translate to: I'll aways be in the middle of whatever controversy.

I think that what Boogie does is a way to say: STOP. Think. Don't immediately jump to conclusions. Be rational. Consider the various aspects of an issue without immediately taking a stance.

It's not about taking a position squarely in the middle, it's about suspending taking a position and understand instead what is going on. Leaving behind prejudices.

People usually urge you to take a stance, join the war. I think Boogie in this case hasn't joined the faction in the "middle". He's actually refusing taking any stance. And in the current situation I think that refusing to join the war is actually the more rational way to defuse this trend that is accelerating toward disaster.

It's like, if this is the prelude to a war, maybe we should do our best to PREVENT the war itself, instead of being quick to join the faction we'll have to fight for.

Perfectly said. I cannot understand the hate Boogie gets on Era (and formerly here) all for not picking sides they want him to.

Neon Noire

Banned

So his contribution to political discourse is "stop and think." Ok that's useful. Now can you point to a few examples where he has done anything beyond that? Anything at all, on any issue, outside of just talk about how he's in the middle of it?

Top Bottom