• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe (creator of God of War) annoyed by forum

MacReady13

So his contribution to political discourse is "stop and think." Ok that's useful. Now can you point to a few examples where he has done anything beyond that? Anything at all, on any issue, outside of just talk about how he's in the middle of it?

How the fuck is "stop and think" NOT useful???

Neon Noire

Banned
How the fuck is "stop and think" NOT useful???

Well the original claim I was responding to was that boogie was interested in achieving the same things as your average progressive, resetera poster, whatever, he just had different methods of attaining that goal. Do you think telling people to stop and think over and over regardless of the issue at hand is actually doing anything meaningful except inviting more complacence and inaction?

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Crazy: When you claim that thinking about something patiently and rationally is a negative.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well the original claim I was responding to was that boogie was interested in achieving the same things as your average progressive, resetera poster, whatever, he just had different methods of attaining that goal. Do you think telling people to stop and think over and over regardless of the issue at hand is actually doing anything meaningful except inviting more complacence and inaction?

giphy.gif

joe_zazen

I
Centrists of today aren't really that removed from the alt-right, thanks to how far the Democrats have allowed us to be pushed rightward on the Overton Window. Thankfully, a growing majority of people are becoming fed up with the centrism and both-sideism drivel that we now see the likes of Jaffe trading in. It was the inevitable result of changing demographics, greater power in the hands of the once marginalized, and an inability to equivocate when fascism is now staring us in the face. The same democratization that allowed the far right to fester on the internet has enabled their opponents to do the same, resulting in a crystallization of views at both ends of the spectrum. The middle, as we see with disingenuous frauds like Jaffe and Boogie, is for people too cowardly to join their friends in the alt-right. There is no such thing as a true centrist in this environment, nor should there be.

A growing majority? you are deluded. BTW, centrist is another word for middle class, and good luck getting anywhere politically by attacking the middle class in america.

Bryank75

Banned
Hmm, let me consult the chart...

1544027067135.jpg

Yikes!

Oh sweet summer child, let's unpack this...

You do realize that the idea this phrase comes up in almost every controversial topic is a bit problematic? Y'all need to let that sink in...just shut up and listen, friendo. It's called being a decent human being! Wow...just wow.

As a white person, it's almost as if folks think dying on a hill defending bigotry is wholesome and I literally can't even...

Who hurt you?! Maybe, just maybe it is your toxic attitude?

:)

Am I doing this right?

Love the chart, I'll print it out and hang it in my room.

Also Jaffe is streaming the game awards, I'll probably hang out there...

Hmm, let me consult the chart...

1544027067135.jpg

Yikes!

Oh sweet summer child, let's unpack this...

You do realize that the idea this phrase comes up in almost every controversial topic is a bit problematic? Y'all need to let that sink in...just shut up and listen, friendo. It's called being a decent human being! Wow...just wow.

As a white person, it's almost as if folks think dying on a hill defending bigotry is wholesome and I literally can't even...

Who hurt you?! Maybe, just maybe it is your toxic attitude?

:)

Am I doing this right?
The one change I would make for that picture is to replace the current face with the NPC face.

Last edited:

mneuro

Your ban aside, how the fuck could you possibly believe boogie's absolute drivel to be an effective strategy for achieving anything? Literally all he does is talk about how moderate he is.
That isn't how I take boogie at all, personally. He just wants to hear both sides and decide where he stands, and encourages both sides to listen to each other to see if reality is somewhere in the middle of the two extremes.

TLZ

Banned
Damn that is hilarious and hard to believe it's not parody. It's like there's a whole bunch of GodfreyElfwick impersonators posting except they're totally serious.

Sadly it looks like the God of War franchise is now dead to the asylum.
There's so much comedy material in that thread.

I almost can't believe it's real.

joe_zazen

The real questions are why the fuck anyone should think seriously about boogie, and what has he done to warrant being hounded and hated? Like aren't there actual villains in the world to attack? Let the fat guy with suicidal tendencies live his life as best he can. Do you guys really want another August Ames?

So his contribution to political discourse is "stop and think." Ok that's useful. Now can you point to a few examples where he has done anything beyond that? Anything at all, on any issue, outside of just talk about how he's in the middle of it?

Getting to the point.

I'm not really defending Boogie. I think the issue here is even deeper: Boogie is generally just a dude who's ignorant.

But this is the universal position we are ALL in. We are all ignorant about something, and in general the volume of what we don't know is staggering compared to what we know. That's why the wisest thing to do is to stop and think. More often than not Boogie doesn't really know what to think, or what to say. He just doesn't know. He's surprised at certain reactions he gets, he expects something and gets the opposite. He has doubts, he expresses doubts. He doesn't take a position of authority, he doesn't tell you what YOU have to do because he doesn't think he knows. He's just a dude. He isn't particularly wise, he isn't particularly intelligent, he isn't particularly educated. He feels lost just as much we're more or less all lost. Why do you want someone like him to show the way and tell people what to do? Why do you want him to carry a flag and be an example?

This applies to every single "influencer" on the internet: they aren't role models and they shouldn't be. They are all random guys who have no clue why they suddenly became popular. And they say stupid things as we all say stupid things.

Boogie is "wise" exactly because he knows he doesn't know. He doesn't pretend to and simply advises people to be more careful and maybe aware of this.

We are all generally ignorant. It's much wiser to stop and think without immediately taking a stance. Encouraging to cultivate doubts is the very best thing you can do right now.

Neon Noire

Banned
That isn't how I take boogie at all, personally. He just wants to hear both sides and decide where he stands, and encourages both sides to listen to each other to see if reality is somewhere in the middle of the two extremes.
Refer to my previous post. Can you name a few examples of him actually taking a side on any issue? Like, if you think being a centrist means simply taking all the facts into account and leaving partisanship out of it, surely he must have spoken out on at least a few issues? Like something must have registered with him or he found something to be one sided or unjust enough for him to speak out?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Gosh forbid one debates with diplomacy, and not extremism!

Last edited:

mekes

Why does he have to?

Is it so important?

Must everybody be labelled?

He honestly seems more compelled with the more enjoyable things in life. As well as Dungeons and Dragons (or was it Magic? Not my thing.) and changing his opportunities through weight loss.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Getting to the point.

I'm not really defending Boogie. I think the issue here is even deeper: Boogie is generally just a dude who's ignorant.

But this is the universal position we are ALL in. We are all ignorant about something, and in general the volume of what we don't know is staggering compared to what we know. That's why the wisest thing to do is to stop and think. More often than not Boogie doesn't really know what to think, or what to say. He just doesn't know. He's surprised at certain reactions he gets, he expects something and gets the opposite. He has doubts, he expresses doubts. He doesn't take a position of authority, he doesn't tell you what YOU have to do because he doesn't think he knows. He's just a dude. He isn't particularly wise, he isn't particularly intelligent, he isn't particularly educated. He feels lost just as much we're more or less all lost. Why do you want someone like him to show the way and tell people what to do? Why do you want him to carry a flag and be an example?

This applies to every single "influencer" on the internet: they aren't role models and they shouldn't be. They are all random guys who have no clue why they suddenly became popular. And they say stupid things as we all say stupid things.

Boogie is "wise" exactly because he knows he doesn't know. He doesn't pretend to and simply advises people to be more careful and maybe aware of this.

We are all generally ignorant. It's much wiser to stop and think without immediately taking a stance. Encouraging to cultivate doubts is the very best thing you can do right now.

Best thing I've read all day, and I read a lot. Kudos, sir/madam.

mneuro

Refer to my previous post. Can you name a few examples of him actually taking a side on any issue? Like, if you think being a centrist means simply taking all the facts into account and leaving partisanship out of it, surely he must have spoken out on at least a few issues? Like something must have registered with him or he found something to be one sided or unjust enough for him to speak out?
He has no responsibility to take any sides. He isn't a professional political commentator. The real problem is that the far left need you to be on their side, whether you want to publically state your opinion or not. He is free to remain neutral. That's his right as an American.

Neon Noire

Banned
He has no responsibility to take any sides. He isn't a professional political commentator. The real problem is that the far left need you to be on their side, whether you want to publically state your opinion or not. He is free to remain neutral. That's his right as an American.

And people have the right to shit on him for it. Personally I think if we apply the stop and think philosophy to boogie the most logical thing for him to do would be to just stop talking about politics or explain to his fans in a reasonable manner that he's not informed or interested enough in the subjects to talk about them.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Nope, this is just another mistake.

You're simply using another broad-stroke heuristic thinking that the middle of everything will always be right. It's not. There can be radical ideas that are actually good. There's no way to judge something at such a high level without directly engaging. The world is way more complex than that, and it's our problem. That's why during wars all that complexity is removed and everything is reduced to "us vs them".

But making it an issue of left - center - right, or even extreme left vs extreme right, is still about repeating the same mistake of removing complexity where complexity is what's required to understand what is going on and actually defuse this self-fueling death spiral and identity/purity wars.
You mistake the middle for milk toast. I rather see those who curate the useful kernels from either side while discarding the overwhelmingly more abundant chaff.

mneuro

And people have the right to shit on him for it. Personally I think if we apply the stop and think philosophy to boogie the most logical thing for him to do would be to just stop talking about politics or explain to his fans in a reasonable manner that he's not informed or interested enough in the subjects to talk about them.
Im also a moderate. Guess what, sometimes Donald Trump makes good decisions even though I don't like him. Everything is not black and white.

Last edited:
Can you name a few examples of him actually taking a side on any issue? Like, if you think being a centrist means simply taking all the facts into account and leaving partisanship out of it, surely he must have spoken out on at least a few issues?

Because he DOESN'T KNOW SHIT.

The same way Trump is a climate change denier: he doesn't know shit. The difference here is that Trump is instead convinced he DOES KNOW. And he thinks he knows BETTER, to the point he expect people to listen and follow him.

Boogie isn't a scientist or anything else. He's just a dude with a webcam who's trying to live his life through all his problems. Why should we expect he KNOWS anything at all? Why should we expect him so wise to show the way to everyone else?

Why should be expect Boogie to be a great politician or anything else? He just isn't and, thankfully, doesn't try to be.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

LOL, what?

How does one get informed if they are not actively talking about the subjects and engaging with people in discourse?

Your post just reads like, "just shut up if you are not on the RightSide™ of the political spectrum".

Neon Noire

Banned
LOL, what?

How does one get informed if they are not actively talking about the subjects and engaging with people in discourse?

I don't know reading could be a good start. Talking to people interested in the subject. Watching certain youtube videos even. How does anyone get informed outside of making youtube videos where they showcase their ignorance?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't know reading could be a good start. Talking to people interested in the subject. Watching certain youtube videos even. How does anyone get informed outside of making youtube videos where they showcase their ignorance?

How do you know he doesn't do all of the above? You (we all do) showcase ignorance everyday on internet forums, but one (who is rational) does not assume this is all you do in life.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

what if you watch the wrong videos? or read the wrong books? or talk to the wrong people. Maybe we should have a place for folks to get, idk, re educated or something.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ree is just generally pissy about anyone more popular than they are, and therefore by "taking them down" they get to feel a little rush of power. This is particularly true in the domains where they most need to feel empowered and justified, the online-space and especially the sphere of gaming.

Its just vicarious gratification to distract themselves from their own failings. They've latched onto an ideology that exalts weakness and fragility as if it were some sort of super-power, and problematize everything so they can pretend they are actually doing something productive with their lives by going after these phantoms.

They get furious when anyone isn't offended by the things they deem offensive. Its that small-minded and pathetic.

Neon Noire

Banned
Shitting on him isn't healthy.
He's objectively harmful to public discourse. If you believe the guy is honestly this stupid and ignorant but are fine with him giving his take on every single hot button issue just because it brings in views then you're part of the problem. It's not minecraft, he's got tons of impressionable fans who will be swayed by his content, which you yourselves have admitted is promoting ignorance.

mneuro

This is a fine example of this being your opinion. Your opinion is not fact. Unfortunately, I don't think you are going to understand that your opinion of boogie is different than mine....and that's okay. We can both have different opinions. Also, assuming you know all about someone's life because you've watched a few YouTube videos is strange.

joe_zazen

You know what is actually harmful to public discourse? The fact that 99.9% of media in the USA is owned by corporations with ties to the CIA. Boogie is literally a nothing.

Boogie is just a fat guy making videos on YouTube. He reacts to dumb shit to entertain people and gives non-opinions because that's his job. He's not harmful to anything, and he doesn't promote anything.

Even if you think he's a fence sitter, who gives a damn?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
He's objectively harmful to public discourse. If you believe the guy is honestly this stupid and ignorant but are fine with him giving his take on every single hot button issue just because it brings in views then you're part of the problem. It's not minecraft, he's got tons of impressionable fans who will be swayed by his content, which you yourselves have admitted is promoting ignorance.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... "think of the children", "think of the weak-minded", "the drip-drip effect of repeated exposure"...

I've heard all these arguments before from right-wing guardians of public decency back in the 80's.

Man, its crazy how these fallacies persist over time, the paternalistic need to "guide" the unwashed masses into the light never seems to go out of fashion, it just seems to switch political poles from time-to-time!

Vtecomega

Banned
Last edited:
I love Jaffe. I distinctly remember seeing him for the first time in some PlayStation Underground video, talking about the making of Twisted Metal 2. It was then that I knew the dude had no filter and just told it like it is. I have nothing but respect for the man. It doesn't surprise me to see that he doesn't kowtow to REE's bullshit.

MacReady13

But he doesn’t just mull over things forever. He does have bloody opinions. He just doesn’t come out and say I believe this or that without thinking about it. What is wrong with that? Why does he have to be on 1 side or the other? He has varied opinions. Is that so offensive? Just because he doesn’t match up with your beliefs and opinions don’t mean the guy is wrong.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I simply don't watch him. I don't watch videos to agitate myself to come on forums to complain endlessly. I simply don't care. I have real life issues to deal with, real priorities. This will never be one of them. None of this is of any importance in the grand scheme. It affects nothing. It's all happening in a tiny bubble that no one cares about.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I would say that someone who continues trying to shut down any and all discussion is far more harmful to public discourse than Boogie. Disagree with him and move on. You are putting far more effort than most into what he says. He has as much right to giving his views as you, I, or the dumbasses at Kotaku.

Shmunter

So Corey Barlog is now an undersirsble character for being friends with a moderate? Geoff K also being dragged through the mud. Seems Geoff has requested a perm ban. Anybody know the background to this? Can only speculate him not wanting to be associated with the hate mob that is Era.

Though I do feel those terms should be banned here (or at least ban calling other members/people those things)

It's good you used 'feel' because for a second there I thought you were going to present a convincing argument to support your calls for ideologically flavored censorship.

Oh fuck off you low t beta cuck. Grow a pair.

This doesn't help.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
I have always been a fan of his work, but to me Jaffe’s point of view is completely wrong.

Deplatforming needs to be a way to fight these racist and fascists, and the first amendment as it is, is trash.
You need to protect human beings before you protect hate speech.
Giving people like that a “loud and proud” voice is literally dangerous to lives.

For fuck’s sake, last month people were sent fucking bombs in the mail because someone was eating this shit up.

Censorship as a tool to silence political discourse is what "deplatforming" really is. The law we follow overrules your feelings. I don't have to like your opinion in order to fight for your right to say it. We don't need laws to curb shit that hurts your feelings.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Is it just me or does almost every thread about controversial topics have someone stating this same phrase.

Not just someone but A LOT! In the thread abt boogie they constantly repeat it. Its almost like a children schoolyard to me. A bunch of kids copying each others words.

Abt Cory, Yeah thats pretty awful how they treat him. Some immediatly jumped to conclusion and blowed it waaaaay out of proportion.... like always.
Even it they find their brains back and realize they treat him bad i would be surprised if Cory ever takes the time to join a conversation with them again.
I sure as hell wouldnt

They are ruining the site and the good people in there have to suffer from it. A shame.

mortal

Gold Member
So apparently, according to some on resetera, referring to that sonicfox gamer furry dude from the VGA show as cringe isn't allowed because...reasons?

Yea, I think I'm done trying to post on there. Far left community there is ironically more intolerant than most of the people they accuse to be, it's the most bizarre thing.

A lot of them rather judge you by your immutable characteristics or sexuality than as an individual.

At least I can say I tried to play to play ball.

Shmunter

Not just someone but A LOT! In the thread abt boogie they constantly repeat it. Its almost like a children schoolyard to me. A bunch of kids copying each others words.

Abt Cory, Yeah thats pretty awful how they treat him. Some immediatly jumped to conclusion and blowed it waaaaay out of proportion.... like always.
Even it they find their brains back and realize they treat him bad i would be surprised if Cory ever takes the time to join a conversation with them again.
I sure as hell wouldnt

They are ruining the site and the good people in there have to suffer from it. A shame.

If I were Evilore, I'd be looking at cracking open the warchest about now and injecting some funds to promote Neogaf.

Reward quality content creators to generate OT's, hire an agency to get Ad's and social media presence out there saying - 'Neogaf is back, and this time as a fair voice for all!'

Industry simply cannot continue to support extremist views as they are on Resetera. As they distance themselves from there, the more they will look for a presence here. Strike while the iron is hot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom