• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David McCullough Prolific historical author has died

AJUMP23

Gold Member

Easily my favorite author. I have read many of his historical biographies, and found all of them excellent. If you have never heard of him I recommend you pick up his book about 1776 and read it. If you have watched the Ken Burns documentary on the Civil War you have heard his voice as he was the narrator.

1776 0743226720 Book CoverJohn Adams 0684813637 Book CoverThe Pioneers 1501168703 Book CoverThe Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914 0671244094 Book CoverTruman 0671869205 Book CoverThe Wright Brothers 1476728755 Book CoverMornings on Horseback 0671447548 Book CoverThe Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge 083461958X Book CoverThe Johnstown Flood B001OW5NQO Book CoverBrave Companions: Portraits in History 0671792768 Book CoverThe Greater Journey: Americans In Paris 1416571779 Book Cover
The American Spirit: Who We Are and What We Stand For 1501174215 Book CoverIn the Dark Streets Shineth 1606418319 Book CoverTen Presidents from FDR to George Bush (Character Above All) 0684814110 Book CoverSmall Town America 0810938421 Book CoverThe Course of Human Events 0743550382 Book CoverRecords of Our National Life: American History at the National Archives 1904832717 Book CoverHow We Have Changed: America Since 1950 1589801105 Book CoverCollecting History B003DYQIH4 Book CoverGreat East River Bridge, 1883-1983 0872730964 Book CoverAmerican Presidents 0743269055 Book Cover

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
A member of a dying breed I fear. With the on demand nature of the modern takes on history I feel that the genuine scholars and experts will soon be an endangered species in academia.

After all why go to college, build a mountain of debt for a thankless profession, and spend a lifetime writing books that sell at best moderately well relative to the more popular fictional genres when you can just self educate on the internet, build a cult of personality, and give hot takes in front of a camera for YouTube for far more money and exposure?

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Damn, I read 1776 in college while vacationing with my family, and it was a real eye opener into the war. It was more than I really ever got in a history class to that point. It was super engaging writing being both detailed and succinct

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
A member of a dying breed I fear. With the on demand nature of the modern takes on history I feel that the genuine scholars and experts will soon be an endangered species in academia.

After all why go to college, build a mountain of debt for a thankless profession, and spend a lifetime writing books that sell at best moderately well relative to the more popular fictional genres when you can just self educate on the internet, build a cult of personality, and give hot takes in front of a camera for YouTube for far more money and exposure?

I can only speak from my experience in the UK, but history books appear to be very popular here. Something I'm happy about because I'm a history student and a large portion of my personal library is dedicated to history.

I wouldn't say historians are a dying breed. Personally, I hope to be a full time historian and I've already started the groundwork on my own project. There are also lots of young, popular historians who are best sellers, such as Dan Jones or Helen Carr to name a few. However, again they're both British. Is history really that unpopular in the US?

Regarding David McCullough, unfortunately his works weren't as popular in the UK, but I do own and have read one of his books. Last year I picked up 1776 from the Folio Society. Absolutely incredible account of a year that changed the course of the world. After reading it, I understood why he was a Pulitzer Prize winner. A sad loss for the history world, but he won't be forgotten thanks to his incredible body of work.

L8qDaT4.jpg

VNj17ka.jpg

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I can only speak from my experience in the UK, but history books appear to be very popular here. Something I'm happy about because I'm a history student and a large portion of my personal library is dedicated to history.

I wouldn't say historians are a dying breed. Personally, I hope to be a full time historian and I've already started the groundwork on my own project. There are also lots of young, popular historians who are best sellers, such as Dan Jones or Helen Carr to name a few. However, again they're both British. Is history really that unpopular in the US?

Regarding David McCullough, unfortunately his works weren't as popular in the UK, but I do own and have read one of his books. Last year I picked up 1776 from the Folio Society. Absolutely incredible account of a year that changed the course of the world. After reading it, I understood why he was a Pulitzer Prize winner. A sad loss for the history world, but he won't be forgotten thanks to his incredible body of work.

L8qDaT4.jpg

VNj17ka.jpg

Beautiful edition about how in 1776 the Americans avoided multiple occasions of utter defeat by the British so we could come back and throw off your tyranny.

Slaylock

I've rest most of his books. My two favorite:

The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914 0671244094 Book Cover
The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge 083461958X Book Cover

I visited New York shortly after reading The Great Bridge. Awesome experience crossing the Brooklyn Bridge with all of its history running through my mind.

Wonderful author.

Lady Jane

Banned
Friendly reminder that John Adams is the best biography ever written. It's an insane read. You basically learn that our founding fathers were drunks but insanely based and hated authoritarians. Ideal men.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Friendly reminder that John Adams is the best biography ever written. It's an insane read. You basically learn that our founding fathers were drunks but insanely based and hated authoritarians. Ideal men.
Adams wasn't a drunk. If anything he was one of the most restrained of the Founding Fathers. Washington as well, was not an alcoholic.

LordCBH

1776 and John Adams were phenomenal. I need to read more of his work. A true legend in the profession.

Lady Jane

Banned
Adams wasn't a drunk. If anything he was one of the most restrained of the Founding Fathers. Washington as well, was not an alcoholic.

You're right. I was painting all of them when there were exceptions. And my respect for Washington grew even higher after reading John Adams. He truly did not want to lead a free country but just live in one. No American tops his character.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
You're right. I was painting all of them when there were exceptions. And my respect for Washington grew even higher after reading John Adams. He truly did not want to lead a free country but just live in one. No American tops his character.
We are cool then, for now.

MrMephistoX

One of the best historians of our generation (or any generation, really). Rest in peace.

Also, pretty much everything Nobody_Important Nobody_Important said above.
As much as I love Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History podcasts there’s no substitute for genuine scholarship: RIP. I loved 1776 and Truman in particular and then I actually had no idea he was THE narrator for so many of Ken Burn’s documentaries.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
As much as I love Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History podcasts there’s no substitute for genuine scholarship: RIP. I loved 1776 and Truman in particular and then I actually had no idea he was THE narrator for so many of Ken Burn’s documentaries.
There is an interesting story about DM that when he was writing John Adam’s he was given full access to the archives which had never been organized or recorded properly and in his research he did the work to make them usable and presentable.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Damn. RIP. I've only read 1776. It was quite good, but reading it you would think the Brits were going to win because of how crazy the odds were stacked against the rebels.

Describing the historical event in an accurate way in not dramatizing the reality of the situation in 1776.
You don’t know if it was accurate, we’re basing our views on estimations and hearsay. That being said, the Americans always love to push the patriotic angle and make it seem the tiny US of A was against overwhelming juggernaut odds from the evil British empire, come to destroy their freedoms.
I mean, the odds were incredibly stacked against us. Had other conflicts not been going on, we likely would have been defeated quite easily.
Possibly and I don’t disagree with you, but it’s not like American Revolutionary War was a tea party for both sides.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
You don’t know if it was accurate, we’re basing our views on estimations and hearsay. That being said, the Americans always love to push the patriotic angle and make it seem the tiny US of A was against overwhelming juggernaut odds from the evil British empire, come to destroy their freedoms.

Possibly and I don’t disagree with you, but it’s not like American Revolutionary War was a tea party for both sides.
We have good enough records of force sizes and movements that it isn't speculation. We know force sizes and losses from every battle or skirmish, because people wrote them down. Certainly the US likes a pro US bias in their material, but we have a record of the people that fought. I know my ancestor Cyprian Collins, fought in the revolutionary war.

Here is his headstone.....So we have pretty good records.

45063760_125986343225.jpg

Tams

Sad to hear for those who liked him.

I have no interest in American history though, so none of his work appealed to me.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Sad to hear for those who liked him.

I have no interest in American history though, so none of his work appealed to me.
There is a book about the building of the Panama Canal. And the great bridge took place in America but is also about an engineering accomplishment.

Top Bottom