• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dawn Of War 2 Confirmed! The Immortal Emperor Be Praised!

JDSN

Banned
I guess the squads are gonna be bigger and even more customizable, sounds to me like the gameplay will be quite different from DoW.

MidiSurf

Banned
TemplaerDude said:
do they have the homeworld license back yet?

they should pull a double whammy and release homeworld 3 and dow 2 in the same year.

They should make Homeworld like game but it should be about this -->

Bfgcover.jpg

It would be perfect <3
The battleships of the Emperor maintain constant vigil over the Imperium of Man. Powerful Chaos fleets travel through space and seek to expand the influence of their Dark Gods. Eldar Corsairs vie with Ork Pirates over the most lucrative warp channels and the wealthiest planets to pillage. The nefarious fleets of the Tyranids, Necrons, and Dark Eldar encroach on the known areas of space to advance their own mysterious goals. In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, space is no longer still. Carefully preserved from the Dark Age of Technology, great weapons stand ready to wreak havoc on enemy ships. Inside their hulls, boarding parties desperately fight their way to vital areas in hopes of destroying crucial systems or carrying out insidious assassinations. Now is the time of mighty spacecraft and death among the stars. Now is the time of noble heroism and base treachery. Now is the time of Battlefleet Gothic!

I mean COME ON !
carlosurgiles.jpg

adamforsythe.jpg

andy2.jpg

/offtopic

Minsc

Gold Member
Dawn of War was the game that got me back in to RTS gaming. Since DoW 2 will have significantly steeper requirements to play maxed @1920x1200 than Starcraft2, my new computer will be built to handle this game now.

Gives me another 1 1/2 years to save up too, which is good as I don't think playing this game maxed out will come cheap.

Hooker

syllogism said:
Still no screenshots anywhere, it appears.

Internet, why do you fail me so?
Oh man, you couldn't have spoken truer words. I've been looking for ages... :(

Well, in between games of CoH that is :D

Great sounding info. I hope the campaign mode that started in DC and got kind of jacked up in SS gets overhauled in this new game. No persistent armies/bases breaks a lot of the point in playing it for me.

FoxSpirit

Fragamemnon said:
I like to think that they do two different things really well.

*) Blizzard does single-player campaigns very, very well. Relic is not so good in comparison.
*) Blizzard does e-sport level balancing very, very well. Relic is actually pretty bad in comparison, though have gotten progressively better since DoW:DC came out in 2006.
*) Relic has superior core RTS mechanics and more innovative, fresher gameplay.

No.

I don't really like the "reinforce units on the fly" gameplay. CoH does that so much better.
Also, this game is totally missing resource managing and exing, no "okay, get some Hydras, safe, make an expansion at 12' and carfully protect until you have new income".

DoW is make scouts, take strat points, build listening post, chaaaarge!! And then it's mostly non stop fighting, with some choice teching until one can secure two of his oponents strategic points and crush him with force.

It's fun but for me, Starcraft is the better game. (except the UI is old, my main reason to look forward to SC2 together with new graphics).

FoxSpirit said:
No.

I don't really like the "reinforce units on the fly" gameplay. CoH does that so much better.
Also, this game is totally missing resource managing and exing, no "okay, get some Hydras, safe, make an expansion at 12' and carfully protect until you have new income".

DoW is make scouts, take strat points, build listening post, chaaaarge!! And then it's mostly non stop fighting, with some choice teching until one can secure two of his oponents strategic points and crush him with force.

It's fun but for me, Starcraft is the better game. (except the UI is old, my main reason to look forward to SC2 together with new graphics).

i think you're playing it wrong.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
FoxSpirit said:
No.

Try playing against people instead of the AI.

FoxSpirit

TemplaerDude said:
i think you're playing it wrong.

Let me see.... build Scouts. Check. Capture strategic point. check.

Now, Build barracks for marines or listening post? I opt for listening post.

Secure a forward strategic point before a choke. A 2nd scout team is always helpful too.

Am I doing something wrong so far?

FoxSpirit said:

Secure a forward strategic point before a choke. A 2nd scout team is always helpful too.

yea you're playing against easy on skirmish. play against people.

MidiSurf

Banned
FoxSpirit said:

Nope.

DoW's bigest problem IMO is that it was so fucking easy. I'm no expert in RTS games but still the enemy didn't manage to defeat me, not even once. Listining post with good defense was key to victory and it was way too easy to optain those points. If the AI would have been more agressive then it would been interesting but no :(.

Still the story was interesting and the overall setting is just awesome so it's still good game.

yea you're playing against easy on skirmish. play against people.

Good RTS game must have both, good single player campaign and good multiplayer game. DoW didn't have the first one :(.

Well okay it was good but it was not challenging. It took me only one day to play the whole game through.

And all people don't enjoy online play.

Durante

FoxSpirit said:

Wow. You don't even need to play against people to see the error of your ways. Play against an AI set to "Harder", in Soulstorm if possible.

Xapati

MidiSurf said:
Nope.

DoW's bigest problem IMO is that it was so fucking easy. I'm no expert in RTS games but still the enemy didn't manage to defeat me, not even once. Listining post with good defense was key to victory and it was way too easy to optain those points. If the AI would have been more agressive then it would been interesting but no :(.

Still the story was interesting and the overall setting is just awesome so it's still good game.

Good RTS game must have both, good single player campaign and good multiplayer game. DoW didn't have the first one :(.

Well okay it was good but it was not challenging. It took me only one day to play the whole game through.

And all people don't enjoy online play.

The campaign sucks. But you can download an excellent mod for Dark Crusade that greatly increases the enemy AI in Skirmish (and I mean greatly, it's a night and day difference). If you want I can post the links.

On topic: This is great news, yet it seems they've literally gone overboard with the graphics, which means I probably won't get to play it, because my laptop will be a year old by the time this comes out (if it comes out this year). I do wish they'd learn from Blizzard and reach out to the larger userbase.

Slo

Mrbob said:
He doesn't work at relic anymore. :p

Anyway, we are going to be co oping the campaign so mark down your entire spring 09 calendar free!

Really? Shit. I want a free copy anyway. Make it happen Bishop!

Spring 09 is reserved.

Xapati

FoxSpirit said:

You're kidding right? If you don't have a barracks, my Chaos Lord will destroy you're base. Or if you're really unlucky you'll be facing Tau, and the Vespid / Tau Commander rush will tear you're listining posts apart before you can blink.
The first thing you build is a barracks and then you either build a Force Commander or Marine squads.

FoxSpirit

Xapati said:
You're kidding right? If you don't have a barracks, my Chaos Lord will destroy you're base. Or if you're really unlucky you'll be facing Tau, and the Vespid / Tau Commander rush will tear you're listining posts apart before you can blink.
The first thing you build is a barracks and then you either build a Force Commander or Marine squads.

Okay, thanks... but that's my point still. It's build order.
There's no exing... and I still don't like the produce on the fly feature.

I won't deny DoW is a great game (with a campaign that lets me down)... but it doesn't "click" with me.

Don't worry, I WILL buy DoW2, I mean Nids... Nids!!! Also great graphics, gore etc.

But I don't see me playing on any remotely serious level.

Still, many thanks for the tips :)

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Holy shit, I'm fucking hyped! this game is going to be the best RTS ever* I joke you not!

if it has tyranids

Minsc

Gold Member
Damn you people complaining about the AI.

Dawn of Skirmish AI mod will not only shut your mouth, it'll lift it across your face over to your ass! :D

Also, if you don't like playing people, don't worry, that mod is better than people when you set it to the higher levels. It will slaughter you. And laugh.

Finally, the original DoW campaign was AWESOME. Just AWESOME.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Requirements for this game to be worth purchasing:

1) Nids.
2) More nids.
3) They're coming outta the walls! They're coming outta the goddamn walls!
4) Red orkz must be faster.
5) Blue orkz must be luckier.
6) Nids.

MrHicks

Banned
the only pc game i will upgrade my pc for when its out
imperial guard plz be in!!!

i wanna execute cowardly soldiers with my commissars:D
shoot faster or die *shoots squadmember*

Odd that there will only be 6 units when I thought the reason Nids were never in the first was due to the fact the engine could cope with enough of them to do the race justice? I guess the units could be pretty massive...

Draft

Spirit of Jazz said:
Odd that there will only be 6 units when I thought the reason Nids were never in the first was due to the fact the engine could cope with enough of them to do the race justice? I guess the units could be pretty massive...
Interesting observation.

I guess they could have massive 50+ monster units :lol

Druz

Fragamemnon said:

*) Blizzard does single-player campaigns very, very well. Relic is not so good in comparison.
*) Blizzard does e-sport level balancing very, very well. Relic is actually pretty bad in comparison, though have gotten progressively better since DoW:DC came out in 2006.

I would argue Relic has a bigger challenge balancing COH than the relatively safe rock paper scissor blizzard games. FANBOY ARGUEMENT COMMENCE.

noonche

FoxSpirit said:
Okay, thanks... but that's my point still. It's build order.
There's no exing... and I still don't like the produce on the fly feature.

I won't deny DoW is a great game (with a campaign that lets me down)... but it doesn't "click" with me.

Don't worry, I WILL buy DoW2, I mean Nids... Nids!!! Also great graphics, gore etc.

But I don't see me playing on any remotely serious level.

Still, many thanks for the tips :)

Not sure what you mean by exing...

But if you think that there is one true build order for DOW then you are sadly mistaken. In just your example, if I'm going to start up a harassment strategy then I would not build a barracks and instead crank out an armory and 4 sets of scout, research sniper rifles and go builder hunting. Which is totally different from your "vanilla" opener. You could save your money and try to quickly tech to vehicles or melta-bomb equiped assault marines. All four of these options will demand different micro-management styles, different upgrades, necessitate the usage of different geographical features, etc.

Decado

ghst said:
CoH is already a better game than Starcraft 2. I'm calling it.

The only people that can top Relic, are Relic.
No "traditional" RTS game will ever come close to CoH, IMO.

The question is, will DoW2 be a traditional RTS game like the first game? If so, I don't really care about it, but the info sounds like it may lean more towards CoH-style gameplay (*fingers crossed*).

-when units are in melee, pieces of battle armor can be chopped off in the action

Should that be "bits of flesh can be chopped off in the action"?

Does Relic have two big development teams? I really hope CoH2 is in the works.

WARCOCK

Banned
Fragamemnon said:

Superior core RTS mechanics, no no no.

All the rest, sure.

Minsc

Gold Member
Decado said:
No "traditional" RTS game will ever come close to CoH, IMO.

The question is, will DoW2 be a traditional RTS game like the first game? If so, I don't really care about it, but the info sounds like it may lean more towards CoH-style gameplay (*fingers crossed*).

If every RTS were like CoH, they'd be boring. Let them be unique, DoW is different from the others, but you're certainly titled to your opinion, I know I have mine :D Either way, DoW 2 does sound different than the first. I'm curious to see screens and also videos.

-when units are in melee, pieces of battle armor can be chopped off in the action

Should that be "bits of flesh can be chopped off in the action"?

Check out the two points above that one... the bit about over the top animations, yeah. Fear not, limbs will be flying.

Top Bottom