• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone… Does it get better???

SteadyEvo

Let me start with my gripes.

Story delivery
Leave camp to tackle a mission. And damn near every time someone radios me to reveal more of the story or give another quest. And I’ll either be attacked or arrive at the mission area before they finish talking

Cutscenes
The transition from gameplay to cutscene breaks immersion. Always fading to black every time. Lip syncing is often off.

Traversal
Holy shit. I am constantly in need of fuel or repairs. While I do appreciate the fact the it VERY grounded in reality, it doesn’t make for fun gameplay. My 1st stop upon arriving at camp is the mechanic for fuel and a tune up.

Weapon and Bike Progression
Slow as molasses. All the good stuff is locked behind lvl 2 and higher trust. And building that trust takes an eternity.

At its core this a run of the mill open world game with missions boiling down to go here and kill these guys. Which is mostly true of other games. But the difference is how to make the formula interesting. The story is decent and I’m curious to see how things play but damn is it becoming a slog. Mild spoilers but I believe I’ve killed more humans than freaks. The only thing pushing me forward is wanting to see how things play out with Boozeman. And the desire to take down a horde. Feels like I’m taking baby steps on that direction.

I have way too many games downloaded so I’ll step away for a while and come back with fresh eyes. Curios to see what y’all thought of it.

Last edited:

Doom85

Episode 103 GIF by BET Plus

Okay, some of your issues might not get addressed, but your issues with traversal and weapon/bike progression will be lessened as the game goes on as upgrades and such will soon make a difference. Eventually worrying about gas is pretty much a thing of the past. Also I felt the story took a significant leap in improvement once Deacon and Boozer head south to the next major area as genuine story begins there whereas the first two major areas are mostly thin storywise and just to give Deacon some jobs to do mostly.

Hot5pur

It's worth pushing through and the game does pick up. The story is quite good and when you start taking on the hordes that becomes quite exciting. The game is very long for a single player story game, but it surprised me how long it kept my interest. Definitely worth playing to completion and you really grow attached to the characters by the end.

Gamerguy84

Does it get better? Yes but that's my opinion. It's one of my favs from last gen.

All that stuff in the middle that you mentioned is called a video game. It's how it all unfolds through gameplay and cutscenes.

But if you wanna skip to the last "mission" send me a message and I'll give you my PSN name. I'll share play the game to you and let you see how it ends.

Also hordes are fun.

SteadyEvo

Episode 103 GIF by BET Plus

Okay, some of your issues might not get addressed, but your issues with traversal and weapon/bike progression will be lessened as the game goes on as upgrades and such will soon make a difference. Eventually worrying about gas is pretty much a thing of the past. Also I felt the story took a significant leap in improvement once Deacon and Boozer head south to the next major area as genuine story begins there whereas the first two major areas are mostly thin storywise and just to give Deacon some jobs to do mostly.
That seems a ways off as Boozer is gonna need a hand. I do agree with the thin story to this point. Seems I’m running in circles getting no where

SteadyEvo

No. Its pretty consistent throughout. I enjoyed it a lot more than Naughty Dog games. But it didn't improve. I liked it right away.
🧐 Interesting. I wish they took a few cues from ND. This being a zombie game of course I’m comparing to TLOU, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
not really for me.

And yes, the pacing is really bad in this game, to me the game feels like AAA game by a third party studio with mid budget.

I actually kinda force myself to complete it.

There are some good parts with it like the world design and the horde mechanic, but i think its severely underused.

Last edited:

chixdiggit

It was a rough start for me as well. But very glad I stuck with it though. Really enjoyed it gameplay and story wise.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I enjoyed it, but I also had enough of the formula. The bear was cool, so were the locations. I just had a hard time having empathy for the characters. I’m more of TLoU fan. I was kinda over his agenda after a couple hours. It did feel cool covering the map on a bike. It felt like it was missing something impactful. I didn’t want to take out a horde because I cared too much about my own resources and my bike. It’s like the characters didn’t interest me enough to push to the end. I definitely got my money’s worth.

Nope, pretty much not. The game is mediocre as shit, the story and characters most of all - but overall, the gameplay mechanics (and everything else) is very unpolished in my opinion. I pushed through until the end and felt like it never took off and was never really satisfying. Like, there are a lot of good ideas but everything feels half-baked and mediocre.

For me, it's a true 7/10 game.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

From the little time I spent on it , I could tell that it's a very bland . Polished game and looks pretty but there's nothing about the world design , lore and characters kept me going on , unlike TLOU .

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Got the plat trophy for it, absolutely loved it. While the fuel mechanic might seem tedious it lead to one of the coolest emergent gameplay moments I've ever had in a game:

run out of fuel in the middle of the night, get off my bike and make a note of the zombies in the vicinity. Check my map for the nearest encampment. Stealthily start moving towards it, midway through I'm spotted and the shit hits the fan. Relatively early in the game so I don't have much to fight back with. Now I'm sprinting through a forest for dear life hoping I make it to the safety of the encampment before the undead fall upon me. I do, deep breath.

Was hoping we'd get a sequel but it's highly unlikely, damn shame, Bend really had something here, now co-director John Garvin is making a NFT game with a new studio.

Mediocre all the way through. Especially the story and characters. Some of the gameplay was pretty fun with the hordes, but if you're going to have a game this long it needs to have some compelling and likeable characters, and this ain't it.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Yeah. The "intro" is many hours long. Grind through it, the game gets better.

RCU005

I watched the entire story on YouTube and I hated it. It didn’t have a good story at all. I also didn’t like the characters.

I don’t know why this game existed and it was a huge waste of potential from Bend Studios. They could’ve either make a new Syphon Filter or a different new IP. Then, to put salt in the wound, they announced it so close to TLoUS2 and it immediately stole its thunder and rendered it obsolete.

Whoever greenlit this project didn’t make a good decision.

Wohc

Banned
No it gets worse because at some point you become super overpowered and the last part of the game was just too much. Less would have been more.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No.
Well maybe a bit since you will get more capable at combat.
But iron Mike camp for some of worst characters ever lol

The_hunter

Combat felt like I was playing an early ps3 game, driving the bike was the only part I enjoyed.

Last edited:

RyRy93

It gets better, I thought it was just okay at first but after sticking with it and getting the platinum I found myself wanting a sequel.

The refuelling aspect is something you either love or hate. I personally loved managing it and the tension whenever I ran out but I understand how coming from other games it's an annoyance.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Its hard to say.

I don't want you to waste your time and end up hating the game. I gutted it out and ended up liking the last parts of the game, but not going to lie....it drags, like.....a lot. lol It gets really repetitive in the middle and I only really give it a pass as a new IP as I expected it would expand as a series or something, like part 2 you have camping elements and can board up homes or something to really set it apart.

So....it gets better, but I say this for myself, I just don't know how you'll feel about the rest of the game. I feel it got better personally, but for all I know you spend the next 20 hours hating that shit lol Its hard to say, but if you like the idea of the game and really want to see where it goes, it does pay off in that respect.

timmyp53

The ups and down over time of if days gone is a good game or not is one of the most bizarre things I've seen in a long time.

It really feels like warriors pushing narratives against execs inadvertently caused this game to go into a cult worshipping status.

Nah man. As someone with the platinum trophy it's probably not worth it. The game has some redeeming qualities but you may have to dig deep to find them. My biggest gripe with the game was how hord hunting or hordes in general wasn't the focus of gameplay and only came into focus when the game is basically wrapped up and most users are ready to retire from it.

EDMIX

The ups and down over time of if days gone is a good game or not is one of the most bizarre things I've seen in a long time.

It really feels like warriors pushing narratives against execs inadvertently caused this game to go into a cult worshipping status.

Nah man. As someone with the platinum trophy it's probably not worth it. The game has some redeeming qualities but you may have to dig deep to find them. My biggest gripe with the game was how hord hunting or hordes in general wasn't the focus of gameplay and only came into focus when the game is basically wrapped up and most users are ready to retire from it.

This. I felt like it overstayed its welcome and you just didn't have a lot to do and too much of it felt like a chore to go thru. Its not a bad game, but I feel many might exaggerate on it being some amazing title.

geary

I feel the same as the OP. Mild spoiler question below for those who finished it.

I am at the stage where I need to run with my wife from the military camp. Exactly to the point where the games tells me there is not coming back to the region if i start the quest. How much is from here to the end of the game?

Even if you are a fan of 3rd person action adventures it’s a 7/10 game and it’s way too much of a slog.

There are a few bits that I thought were great like fighting the hordes but there are just way too many missions in a completely dead feeling open world.

Last edited:

Duchess

I enjoyed it, but by the end it does feel that you've played the same game 3 times over.

I thought there was a logical point in the story where the game should've finished ... but then it just keeps going for many more hours!

EDMIX

Yes, but the game is to long.

Thats the thing, I don't think its too long, I think its too repetitive which makes you want to play less of it and just have it wrapped up.

If they had you doing lots of different things, I'm sure many would be ok with how long it is, but once you pair it up with doing the same type of missions 1000x, yea you'll feel that time slow down lol So I wish more so that it had more variety more then I wish it was shorter, I only wish what I was currently playing, exactly how it was was shorter caues I hated how repetitive it was in the first place.

If they had more elements to it, I'd be completely ok with how long it was, but not for the level of sameness that ended up being that game.

RPSleon

It does get better.

The fuel tank running dry every mile is unrealistic and the worst idea they had. Its a barrier to continuing. You get to upgrade a bunch if stuff. Make the first thing the fuel tank.

Its a slow started for sure. But i loved it by the end.

jm89

Personally i didn't mind the slow start.

Traversal and weapon progress may seem annoying at first, but worrying about running out of fuel and not having best weapons really does create alot of tense situations. Running out of fuel in middle nowhere and then accidently running into a horde or some screamer is awesome.

These things won't be an issue later parts of the game. You'll be mowing down enemies like nothing.

MadPanda

Banned
It's a very long game with progression so some of your complaints will be addressed. I enjoyed it a lot even though I'd prefer it was a tad shorter. It's nothing extraordinary but it's a very good game and it's a shame we won't get a sequel.

John Bilbo

I recommend trying the challenges found in the menu. I found them to be fun and you can also unlock some power ups for the campaign in those challenges.

winjer

Gold Member
Let me start with my gripes.

Story delivery
Leave camp to tackle a mission. And damn near every time someone radios me to reveal more of the story or give another quest. And I’ll either be attacked or arrive at the mission area before they finish talking

Cutscenes
The transition from gameplay to cutscene breaks immersion. Always fading to black every time. Lip syncing is often off.

Traversal
Holy shit. I am constantly in need of fuel or repairs. While I do appreciate the fact the it VERY grounded in reality, it doesn’t make for fun gameplay. My 1st stop upon arriving at camp is the mechanic for fuel and a tune up.

Weapon and Bike Progression
Slow as molasses. All the good stuff is locked behind lvl 2 and higher trust. And building that trust takes an eternity.

At its core this a run of the mill open world game with missions boiling down to go here and kill these guys. Which is mostly true of other games. But the difference is how to make the formula interesting. The story is decent and I’m curious to see how things play but damn is it becoming a slog. Mild spoilers but I believe I’ve killed more humans than freaks. The only thing pushing me forward is wanting to see how things play out with Boozeman. And the desire to take down a horde. Feels like I’m taking baby steps on that direction.

I have way too many games downloaded so I’ll step away for a while and come back with fresh eyes. Curios to see what y’all thought of it.

I disliked the story and most characters. It can get really bad sometimes, and it barely goes beyond mediocrity.

Traversal is a real issue with the game. It's really annoying to have to be constantly refueling the bike.
Much later in the game, we get a much larger fuel tank that reduces this issue.

Yes, weapon and bike progression is slow. In the case of the bike it's very annoying and pointless.
In the case of weapons, it forces the player to be very methodic and stealthy in the first half of the game. A single mistake can cost dearly.
I found this part to be very intense and immersive. But on the other hand, seeing a military Vet that can't hit the broad side of a barn at 20 meters, is a strange narrative flaw.
Later in the game we get better guns, gadgets and abilities. And this means we can start tackling the hordes. This is the most fun part of the game.
I had a lot of fun planning a eliminating hordes with hundreds of zombies.

I say stick with it, it will get much better.

Top Bottom