• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone… Does it get better???

GymWolf

I know people is gonna say yes, but i'm one of the few that enjoyed the game since the first minute.

Deacon and boozer being 2 kinda unlikeable cunts is what make their evolution even better in the late game.

Mechanically the game improve a fuckload when you reach the third camp, that's true. (While still playing like a more action-y bootleg tlou)

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Pretty standard for me, 6/10
Story is good enough, nothing special though.
Don't like the final battle/ending

Shut0wen

I think any game that gets "better" at a certain point should be stopped op because it pretty much means it doesnt and if the first 3 hours didnt grab your attention then tge rest wont eirher

Three

Let me start with my gripes.

Story delivery
Leave camp to tackle a mission. And damn near every time someone radios me to reveal more of the story or give another quest. And I’ll either be attacked or arrive at the mission area before they finish talking

Cutscenes
The transition from gameplay to cutscene breaks immersion. Always fading to black every time. Lip syncing is often off.

Traversal
Holy shit. I am constantly in need of fuel or repairs. While I do appreciate the fact the it VERY grounded in reality, it doesn’t make for fun gameplay. My 1st stop upon arriving at camp is the mechanic for fuel and a tune up.

Weapon and Bike Progression
Slow as molasses. All the good stuff is locked behind lvl 2 and higher trust. And building that trust takes an eternity.

At its core this a run of the mill open world game with missions boiling down to go here and kill these guys. Which is mostly true of other games. But the difference is how to make the formula interesting. The story is decent and I’m curious to see how things play but damn is it becoming a slog. Mild spoilers but I believe I’ve killed more humans than freaks. The only thing pushing me forward is wanting to see how things play out with Boozeman. And the desire to take down a horde. Feels like I’m taking baby steps on that direction.

I have way too many games downloaded so I’ll step away for a while and come back with fresh eyes. Curios to see what y’all thought of it.
Yes it does drag on especially if you don't do the story and concentrate on the open world tickbox which can become tedious quickly. The story missions do get better though towards the end. Once you get the weapons and courage to take down a horde it is pretty satisfying.

Last edited:

Three

Combat felt like I was playing an early ps3 game, driving the bike was the only part I enjoyed.
I've got to say riding the bike was fun too. Did not feel the urge to fast travel once in this game and looked forward to the random encounters, except the random sniper in a tree that was just annoying more than anything.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I couldnt carry on playing it. Was the only 1st party title outside Killzone SF I didnt finish.
The melee and combat was just a snore and not the same level as the other 1st party titles

GymWolf

I think any game that gets "better" at a certain point should be stopped op because it pretty much means it doesnt and if the first 3 hours didnt grab your attention then tge rest wont eirher
In alien isolation you don't even meet the alien after 3 hours if you play on hard and stealth.

Some games just have slow starts, and if you actually pay for a game and stop after 3 hours, you (not you) are kinda of a moron imo (unless you can re-sell with no loss)

Especially when we have youtube and a way to check gameplay and stuff before buying the game.

Last edited:

GenericUser

It doesn't get better. It's a shitty game. By the time I unlocked the 3rd area, I was so bored, I stopped playing and never looked back.

jonnyp

Story delivery
Leave camp to tackle a mission. And damn near every time someone radios me to reveal more of the story or give another quest. And I’ll either be attacked or arrive at the mission area before they finish talking

Cutscenes
The transition from gameplay to cutscene breaks immersion. Always fading to black every time. Lip syncing is often off.

Traversal
Holy shit. I am constantly in need of fuel or repairs. While I do appreciate the fact the it VERY grounded in reality, it doesn’t make for fun gameplay. My 1st stop upon arriving at camp is the mechanic for fuel and a tune up.

Slow as molasses. All the good stuff is locked behind lvl 2 and higher trust. And building that trust takes an eternity.

At its core this a run of the mill open world game with missions boiling down to go here and kill these guys. Which is mostly true of other games. But the difference is how to make the formula interesting. The story is decent and I’m curious to see how things play but damn is it becoming a slog. Mild spoilers but I believe I’ve killed more humans than freaks. The only thing pushing me forward is wanting to see how things play out with Boozeman. And the desire to take down a horde. Feels like I’m taking baby steps on that direction.

I have way too many games downloaded so I’ll step away for a while and come back with fresh eyes. Curios to see what y’all thought of it.

Yes, it's a chore at the start but I loved it in the end. Think it's vastly underrated.

ToadMan

Story delivery

Cutscenes

Traversal

I finished it - no it doesn’t really get better.

In fact it drags on way too long in my opinion.

There was an interview with one of the devs where they basically said they had to stretch it out to make it a $60 game, and that’s how it feels later. Like a lot of filler.

I will say that after the initial hump to get into the game and mechanics it did seem to get more fun for me to play - probably why I finished it. But the gameplay you learn in the first few hours is basically all you get until the end of the game.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

In alien isolation you don't even meet the alien after 3 hours if you play on hard and stealth.

Some games just have slow starts, and if you actually pay for a game and stop after 3 hours, you (not you) are kinda of a moron imo (unless you can re-sell with no loss)

Especially when we have youtube and a way to check gameplay and stuff before buying the game.
Ohh shit sorry didnt mean 3 i meant 5 but again a game shouldnt really take a certain amount of time to be fun, i love every zelda game but skyward sword is the same doesnt become enjoyable until you reach faron woods which can take up to 4 hours, certain games dont become enjoyable to after 30 hours though in certain games i do get it lije nier replicant for example takes about 10 hours at most

Yes ! Stick with it dude. Probably a top 5 game from last Gen to me. I enjoyed TLoU quite a bit but this game is so much better. (Actually kinda felt like an open world TLoU to me)

Stealthing around bandit camps with the bolt crossbow was a lot of fun. The crazy hordes you take down later. The bike mechanic is awesome, and some pretty hectic fun scenarios will play out trying to escape with your gibs intact. Just exploring the map and dealing with random wildlife was cool too.

Story was decent enough , if not a bit long. But some memorable characters for sure. I thought the guns were just OK, but really liked the crossbow .

I cant recommend this game enough. You should keep forging ahead.
You should stick it out

VN1X

Banned
I very much enjoyed it but it definitely overstayed its welcome with that last act.

A damn shame we won't ever get a sequel though. Game had a lot going for it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Remember when progression in games actually meant something? Its like that.

You start weak, your bike's a piece of shit, but the deeper you get the more capable you become to the point where you are flying around the map taking down 500 zombie hordes for fun.
Enemies don't grow in strength like you do, what happens is that as you get further along new types get added to the ecosystem and as everything is emergent and dynamic (every enemy can and will fight everything else) it gets more and more chaotic and exciting.

Great game, ignore the haters.

Better in literally every respect than how its regarded, I liked it so much that after finishing the entire 50 or so hr campaign I started straight over from the start. This was pre NG+ being implemented and all the bonus stuff being added btw.

Topher

Gold Member
I didn't like it, but I gave up too early as well I guess. I'll give it another shot at some point.

Topher

Gold Member
Imo it shouldn’t take hours to start enjoying a game. My time is far more important. If you aren’t having fun within 2 hours, move on with your life.

I agree with you, but that isn't his point. You and I gave up on the game so we really don't know if it gets any better or not.

anthony2690

Banned
I'm going to say no, if you're not enjoying it now, you probably won't be enjoying it 5 hours later either.

Why waste time on something you're not enjoying?

I wasted about 20 hours of my life on Nier Automata doing 3 playthrough for this incredible story/gameplay that never came, the story was as deep as a puddle and I'm convinced people must be trolling about this deep incredible story, the combat is flashy looking, but mechanically no depth at all & pretty dull.
Game has great music though & 2B has a great rear (the real reason the game probably gets all the praise it gets)
I regret wasting time on this game I wasn't really enjoying all that much, when my time would've been better spent elsewhere.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

I’ll ignore the side quests and just do main missions. Probably why the game is dragging for me. There are a lot of positives here that just need to be refined.

Last edited:

Ownage

It gets much better.

I'm still stuck in the cave where he has to fight a horde in the dark. There's no option to lower the difficulty to get past it. I had to set the game aside. It's been over a year. Really disappointed that they didn't give any option to cut past that game play. It's absurd.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm going to say no, if you're not enjoying it now, you probably won't be enjoying it 5 hours later either.

Why waste time on something you're not enjoying?

This is fair, but on the other hand if other people have found something valuable maybe its worth persevering if you are actually willing and open to changing your mind.

I wasted about 20 hours of my life on Nier Automata doing 3 playthrough for this incredible story/gameplay that never came, the story was as deep as a puddle and I'm convinced people must be trolling about this deep incredible story, the combat is flashy looking, but mechanically no depth at all & pretty dull.
Game has great music though & 2B has a great rear (the real reason the game probably gets all the praise it gets)
I regret wasting time on this game I wasn't really enjoying all that much, when my time would've been better spent elsewhere.

Automata has an incredible story, that's a fact. That it didn't connect for you is unfortunate, but it doesn't invalidate the majority opinion.

anthony2690

Banned
This is fair, but on the other hand if other people have found something valuable maybe its worth persevering if you are actually willing and open to changing your mind.

Automata has an incredible story, that's a fact. That it didn't connect for you is unfortunate, but it doesn't invalidate the majority opinion.
I can assure you I really wanted to like Automata, I was open to changing my mind, hence why I proceeded, I dropped £35 digitally for it on Xbox and was pretty hyped for it, after seeing all the praise from friends, online forum posters and reviewers in general.

Sadly it just wasn't that good in my opinion, I can appreciate the ost though, but I wish I just dropped it.

Guilty_AI

I've thought about giving this game another chance, but whenever i see what people praise it for i can't say it gives me much confidence.

-"Story gets good later bro, trust me!"
No i don't, for starters i have 0 trust for what most people call "a good story".

-"Game has great progression and makes you feel OP later on! Just like old times!!!"
This is just the basics for a progression based game, even janky not-so-good stuff like EYE divine cybermancy achieves this kind of feeling. Feels more like a problem with people playing too many shallow titles and getting excited when something that finally can do the basics falls into their hands.

-"Hordes man! Hordes are cool!"
They look cool indeed, and admittedly you can use them for some cool stuff. But ultimately it feels more like a "oh right, we have these huge hordes too" rather than an essential part of the game, not to mention i already had my fill of killing a sea of zombies in L4D2 without having to deal with any in-between bloat.

All in all, it feels like the kind of stuff i'd get at the bargain bin, then forget it exists for months before finally trying out with a 70% chance i'd just drop after a few hours.

Last edited:

reektann

Coasting down hills and conserving fuel was one of my favourite parts of the game. Absolutely loved the weight of the bike and seeing a gas station would send me into a brief moment of euphoria.

Chiggs

This and Last of Us 2 were the only two Sony first-party single player games I completely gave up on.

SteadyEvo

To clarify I don’t hate the game. I’m enjoying the survival aspects. Searching for ammo and scraps. Tuning up the bike and repairing melee weapons. The combat is serviceable, more fun against the freaks. I just dislike games that don’t get to the point or keep it interesting. Why I love Infamous Second Son and The Order 1886. No filler, straight to the point.

But yeah, I’m here for Boozer and Sarah.

As someone who loved the game - if you're not vibing with it yet just drop it as you probably won't. That said, things will get better if you do decide to stick with it. Upgrades, story, toys to kill with. It all does become more fun. Even riding around which is my favorite part is easier as you get better intuitively knowing where to go to stock up on ammo, gas, crafting materials.

assurdum

Banned
Game it is what is it. It can't go better. Personally I don't dislike it at all but if you don't like it now things won't change but you can see how much you can resist. Personally I like even to replay it but the really annoying part are the loading times.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If the loop’s not doing it for you then go for something more straightforward, and skip the open world games. Something like Devil May Cry V may be what you need.

Personally I think Day’s Gone’s one of the better open world games.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It definitely does. It is a slow burn for sure, including your upgrades (particularly if you are playing on some of the higher difficulties). I know one of my main gripes about the early game is that the horde murder simulator that is shown in gameplay doesn't really happen for you for awhile (you're just too weak and have too weak weapons).

It is for sure a game that you have to earn your progress in.

Ownage

It definitely does. It is a slow burn for sure, including your upgrades (particularly if you are playing on some of the higher difficulties). I know one of my main gripes about the early game is that the horde murder simulator that is shown in gameplay doesn't really happen for you for awhile (you're just too weak and have too weak weapons).

It is for sure a game that you have to earn your progress in.
The hordes are something fierce.

F that cave fight.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The hordes are something fierce.

F that cave fight.

Yeah, I remember spending like an hour or so on the train horde. . .immediately when I came across it. Which was a bad move but I managed to do it by getting stupidly lucky with some well timed explosions. I wish the game had some feedback from Deacon like "Damn, might need to come back to this one" or something like that to give a hint that yeah you can beat this. . .but you'll enjoy it a lot more if you wait.

This was on SURVIVAL which I don't recommend for a first playthrough and is why I haven't finished yet.

DragonNCM

Hordes.....clearing hordes was fucking blast....I don't know why Sony didn't approved sequel.
Game sales where good probably they focused money somewhere else....

wipeout364

I didn’t think it improved. It’s got a decent gameplay loop if you are in the mood for it but if you are not enjoying it after a few hours it’s not gonna get better for you. It’s very similar to assassins creed in that way. I disagree that the story is anything special and worth sticking around for, feels like it was written by hacks not terrible but certainly not memorable.

Top Bottom