• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone… Does it get better???

GymWolf

Imo it shouldn’t take hours to start enjoying a game. My time is far more important. If you aren’t having fun within 2 hours, move on with your life.
Well but you have no idea if the game improve or not (that is the main question of the topic).

Last edited:

GymWolf

Ohh shit sorry didnt mean 3 i meant 5 but again a game shouldnt really take a certain amount of time to be fun, i love every zelda game but skyward sword is the same doesnt become enjoyable until you reach faron woods which can take up to 4 hours, certain games dont become enjoyable to after 30 hours though in certain games i do get it lije nier replicant for example takes about 10 hours at most
I think that if you hate the movements, tone, story, gunplay, melee, basically everything about the first 5 hours i can understand bailing out.

But the game factually become better after a while, even just mechanically because you unlock the hordes, way more weapons and tricks to deal with stuff, better traversal and less babysitting because the bike improve a lot etc.

Urban

i played it to the end but ever since i experienced GoT i have come to the realization that the game was just mediocre at best.

What i never understand was: How the fuck couldn't i run and shoot behind my back at the same time xD? That would be a great feature against the hordes

GymWolf

I don't understand how people don't like fueling the bike. It's great, we need more sim stuff in games.
It's a novelty in the beginning but after a while you just want to run around.

Eventually it become a non-problem with an upgraded bike.

The_hunter

Outside of God of war it's probably my favourite Sony exclusive from last gen. So yes it does.

Play on max difficulty and embrace the survival elements.
I played it on hard, and the humans were bullet sponges. They would take multiple shotgun shots. Is there a realism difficulty?

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Days Gone was actually one of top 3 Sony studio exclusives on PS4. I have the platinum for it.

It gets better. What I would do is go for bike upgrades first, ignore Tucker. Fueling by the way, is more for show. Canisters respawn and fuel stations have unlimited supply.

What I liked about DG were the ways I could conquer camps, like luring in Freakers at night and just chilling in the back. I also liked how the story about his wife gets drip feeded with the NERO missions. There are too many missions that don't progress the story and the game overstays its welcome but other than that I liked it. The hordes were great, esp. once you're stacked enough to finally take them on.

Last edited:

Fake

I don't understand how people don't like fueling the bike. It's great, we need more sim stuff in games.

I remember a dev conversation talking about the bike fuel. IDK if was reddit or not, but as I spoke on the Days Gone OT, making new ways of play is like a double edge sword.

People complain from both sides: One side said that fueling the bike is annoying, the other side said that fuel should be finite.

Is never easy to make a balanced mechanic.

Aenima

I enjoyed it from the very beginning, but most ppl share the same opinion that the initial hours of the game are the worst. So yeah, it gets better the more you play. Its great when you start finding and trying to wipe out hordes.

The game is at its best narratively at the beginning and middle sections, but falls apart during the 3rd final act. If you don’t like it now, you won’t like it later. I found it to be a fun game overall and would welcome a sequel.

GHG

I played it on hard, and the humans were bullet sponges. They would take multiple shotgun shots. Is there a realism difficulty?

If you stealth headshot or takedown humans then it's one shot. I don't know what it's like running around all guns blazing because it doesn't feel like the game's designed to be played that way, especially not on higher difficulty levels (nor does it seem like a good idea considering making a ton of noise attracts the freakers).

This is pretty much how I tended to play and I loved every moment of it:

Last edited:

DragonNCM

It gets much better.

I'm still stuck in the cave where he has to fight a horde in the dark. There's no option to lower the difficulty to get past it. I had to set the game aside. It's been over a year. Really disappointed that they didn't give any option to cut past that game play. It's absurd.
Damn that was intense moment......try to use cave passages as your advantage.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
If you stealth headshot or takedown humans then it's one shot. I don't know what it's like running around all guns blazing because it doesn't feel like the game's designed to be played that way, especially not on higher difficulty levels (nor does it seem like a good idea considering making a ton of noise attracts the freakers).

This is pretty much how I tended to play and I loved every moment of it:

Same. Played stealth only as much as I could. I should replay on PC on highest difficulty cuz 24/30 fps was ruining my experience when i played it at launch.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
200.gif
Video Game Death GIF by Leroy Patterson
swerve zombie apocalypse GIF by PlayStation
days gone sony GIF

Dynasty8

What's the main difference between survival and survival 2 difficulty? Do enemies become spongy with just more health? Or does the game change enemy behavior and other things?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I focused on upgrading my bike above all else at first, so I actually hit a wall very early on (prior to the second act) where I was fine as far as the bike was concerned and couldn't upgrade it further without progressing in other ways. It also helps that there's a decent amount of gas to be located in the open world.

I think the worst part was progressing weapons. I can't really remember the exact mechanics (single playthrough around the time the PS5 patch came out), but I constantly felt like I couldn't craft good enough weapons despite having found and learned, I thought, everything I needed. And then when you finally did craft something good the shit needed repairs / broke after like one good camp encounter.

AdamTank83

Neo Member
Does anyone remember when this game was about to be revealed I could of swiore they had a different name for it like, "a man and his bike," or something "tomorrow " I'm trying to remember but I cannot believe I can't remember it. I've tried looking it up everywhere online but cannot find it. Any help would be appreciated, it is killing me. I know it wasn't a man and his bike as that sounds stupid but I think it was something like that. I'm not sure though, thanks in advance if anyone remembers it

AlphaMale

I thought re-fueling the bike was gonna be a huge annoyance, but actually, there are LOTS of gas containers everywhere. Just use them to top up your bike - easy peasy.
Also, defeating the hordes isn't as bad as it first looks. The explosive devices and distractors really do a good job. Even ammo isn't a huge issue later on.
Make sure you pick up plants and trinkets as your explore and hit new areas.
I thought the game was actually really good. Got better as the story unfolds.

Tip: Make sure you shoot out ALL the speakers *before* you power up any generator.

DiscoDave

I really liked the game and pretty much the main reason was the hordes and the genuine danger driving around. Not many games have that.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
My experience with Days Gone was up and down. It started off as a chore to me, constantly refueling. Having to plan every route and go back to fuel. Then once I upgraded my bike, it got a lot better. Then eventually it overstayed its welcome by being overly long. It’s seriously one of the longest most drawn out action/adventure main missions ever. It just goes on and on and on. And when you think you’re at the end, you realize that you’re only like 60% of the way through.

By the end I got super bored of it, but for the middle chunk of the game it was quite enjoyable.

DragonNCM

My experience with Days Gone was up and down. It started off as a chore to me, constantly refueling. Having to plan every route and go back to fuel. Then once I upgraded my bike, it got a lot better. Then eventually it overstayed its welcome by being overly long. It’s seriously one of the longest most drawn out action/adventure main missions ever. It just goes on and on and on. And when you think you’re at the end, you realize that you’re only like 60% of the way through.

By the end I got super bored of it, but for the middle chunk of the game it was quite enjoyable.
Yeah got same feeling about it but when I started endgame(aka horde clearing) was damn blast.
Still one of 3 best games last generation for me.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Legit one of my all time favourites. I just find it consistently enjoyable to play, which is impressive because as noted elsewhere in this thread, its campaign is pretty much double the length of most games.

Its not exactly great art, even if its a whole lot better written and played than generally given credit for, but for me its like a really good 80's action movie. Its solid, unpretentious and exciting.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I dropped the game when you get the bike to replace the one the camp stole/salvaged. I like Deek and Boozer but that's about it

Last edited:
Top Bottom