• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone becomes the best-selling game for April in the UK, in only five days time

AlexxKidd

days-gone-faq-ps4-playstation-4-1.original.jpg

Mortal Kombat 11 wasn't the only game to go toe-to-toe with Days Gone and suffer a fatality in the UK, the game has beat out the entire month of sales from every game since it's release April 26 release date.

Nintendo meanwhile was overall the best-selling publisher of the month, on the strength of their popular IP.

The March 31 through April 27 top 10:

RankTitlePublisher
1Days Gone – NEWSony
2Mortal Kombat 11 – NEWWarner Bros
3Tom Clancy’s The Division 2Ubisoft
4FIFA 19EA
5Red Dead Redemption 2Rockstar
6Mario Kart 8 DeluxeNintendo
7Yoshi’s Crafted WorldNintendo
8Sekiro: Shadows Die TwiceActivision
9World War Z – NEWMad Dog
10New Super Mario Bros U. DeluxeNintendo

Stuart360

Really though?
I havent played it, but i have been watching 2 playthroughs, and imo the reviews that gave it 7's and 8's are about right. The 4 and 5's are too low imo.
The game doesnt do anything new, and similar games do a lot of the mechanics better, BUT the story is interesting imo, graphics and sound are good, and the open world seems interesting enough.
Its a good solid game, nothing more, nothing less.

Fbh

As far as big releases go it didn't have a whole lot to compete against aside from MK11 which, as a fighting game, probably doesn't have the same level of overall appeal.
Still surprising though

DanielsM

Banned
Glad it’s doing good, might pick it up myself soon. Curious how it’s doing elsewhere though.

Based on Amazon around the world, probably a good guess very well. There have been hints at around 80k in Japan, which would place it in between God of War and Horizon in first week sales. The bugs and glitches are unfortunate, I think it would have easily outsold Horizon if not for those. Probably looking at slightly below Horizon numbers (depends on digital), which is not a bad thing at all. Horizon did 2.6m units its first month.

In the U.S. it has almost outsold Sekiro (PS4 version only) on Amazon in 6 days, but that came out 6 weeks ago... currently Days Gone is #51 for the year, and Sekiro is #50... it will probably pass up Resident Evil (PS4 version) within a few days as well. It will probably finish the cycle as the #1 or #2 best selling new IP, if I am not mistaken. I would say 4 -7m units is a given in one year, and 10m+ in 2 years probably wouldn't be a surprise. This one is going to make mega-money for Sony even though it had a longer dev cycle, they only had like 50-70 people working on it until the end of development when they went to 100. They are now up to 130 employees, this is very small team, generally speaking.

Last edited:

Meowzers

We (not yet including me) love Days Gone over here. If only the main character was Phil Mitchell then a baseball bat is all you'd need. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I shall get round to buying it later this month.

That is because everyone wants to be a "Murican biker dude. I am looking for someone to be a "Boozer" in my life so please post with awesome bike pics and hardcore friendship poses.

thelastword

Banned
Really. Doesn't deserve to be in the same crowd as Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2 or Sea of Thieves.
Not by a long shot certainly.... Graphics, game play and the world/atmosphere are above those by a fair margin. I especially love how detailed the world is...... So much ATD (attention to detail) in this game. Can't wait for Nxgamer to give us a breakdown tbh...

Also, so much for people wishing Bend would close because of the reviews. Always looked at interviews with the director prior to release, the guy looked so nervous at every interview, was sweating so profusely everytime I saw him. Yet I realized it was passion, he wanted a great game, a game people loved, and I'm so happy that gamers have rewarded these guys by saying, "yes" we love days gone........At the end of the day, reviewers don't matter much past bonuses for the devs, what you really want is for gamers word of mouth to spread about your game......

So far, Europe loves DG, Japan loves DG.... Wink wink! ... I think NA is going to love it too.......

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Not for me, but good for Bend. They've thwarted the metacritic stigma.

I'll wait til it's dirt cheap because at this point, I haven't played Uncharted 4 or Spiderman. Are those on sale yet?

somerset

The Halo effect in play (Nvidia's hyper-putrid 1650 will outsell AMD's vast better and vastly better value 570 for the same reason).

Also *projection* (wishful thinking)- gamers looking at the promotional vids and wanting the game via a projection of what they wish the game wiil be vs the very mdeiocre reviews telling what the game actually is.

The reason some really bad sequels to beloved movies get a very good BO, even when the critics trash the film.

However, in the entertainment biz, the Halo effect and 'projection' are notoriously unreliable. Sony is lucky this time. A few more stinkers in their AAA 'exclusive' family and things will start to look very different. Fanboys will enthusiastically give support to their team over one or two unexpected losses, but beyond that...

demigod

The Halo effect in play (Nvidia's hyper-putrid 1650 will outsell AMD's vast better and vastly better value 570 for the same reason).

Also *projection* (wishful thinking)- gamers looking at the promotional vids and wanting the game via a projection of what they wish the game wiil be vs the very mdeiocre reviews telling what the game actually is.

The reason some really bad sequels to beloved movies get a very good BO, even when the critics trash the film.

However, in the entertainment biz, the Halo effect and 'projection' are notoriously unreliable. Sony is lucky this time. A few more stinkers in their AAA 'exclusive' family and things will start to look very different. Fanboys will enthusiastically give support to their team over one or two unexpected losses, but beyond that...

Your posts are bad. You thought this game failed because of the reviews before the sales got out, it didn't. You're still clinging to that its a bad game, its not. Troll harder.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Surprised to see Days Gone beat MK considering MK are available on 3 platform

Also Sekiro doesnt look too hot either there sitting at 8 in UK

Lost to older game like Red Dead Redemption 2, Mario Kart and Yoshi

Sekiro is barely 1 months old right

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Fanboys will enthusiastically give support to their team over one or two unexpected losses, but beyond that...

Hm. You mean like "projecting" for instance like wishing something sells bad but in actuality sells great?

This could be very well Sony's #1 title as far as costs vs revenue, of course, we have to guess on that as Sony doesn't breakdown development/marketing costs vs. revenue on a per game basis. Right now (speculation to degree), this could easily sell in the 4-7m range in its first year and I would suggest 10m+ in 2 years is possible but we probably need to see some data for a month or so.... currently this looks like its tracking a little below Horizon but digital sales are the wildcard. With that said, although this was a longer development cycle, pre-production was 2013 - 2015, with full production was started in 2015. The employee count during the early development was actually less then 50 people, this did increase sometime in 2017 to about 100 people (currently they are at 130). This is a very small studio by today's standards especially for an open world game. Something like Red Dead Redemption probably needs to sell 10-15m units just to break even.

I would not be surprised if Days Gone isn't Sony's biggest ROI (Return on Investment) to date on either a PS3 or PS4 game. I'm very baffled by your post to be honest, you got it completely backwards as to reality yet you are acting like everyone else is living in the clouds and "projecting".

Since I have this game, and I really think its freaking rocks .... I wouldn't be surprised if it outsold Horizon(which did super great), but there really isn't enough data to say or support that just yet.... stinker... no... mini-hit and possible mega-hit, YES.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Really though?

I Think so. Got it day 1, they patched out so many issues that I never once got a glitch. Solid gameplay, great setting and different enough narrative to offer a very different experience. I think they have a very solid base for a great series. Remember, Uncharted 1 doesn't hold a candle to 2, same with Killzone 1 to 2.

Let the team build for a future series instead of dragging them down on issues we've seen in almost every major AAA release this gen. Didn't RDR2 have the entire Marston Family missing in a glitch? Didn't Witcher 3 have missing faces and corrupted save files?

We can't bash GAAS and then attack a developer for taking a chance on a new single player IP, with no MP and even giving free content post launch.

At some point we must reward and respect the developers that are actually doing the very damn thing we are demanding in the first place. In the age of season passes and MT and GAAS, I don't think its the right time to be having such ridiculous standards on SP titles, issues folks seem to want to conveniently ignore for other series btw..

thelastword

Banned

You're making no sense here....The Halo effect can't be used, whatever that means, even Halo does not sell so hot anymore (it depends more on imaginary 90% digital sales to make itself as relevant as it used to be)........The Nvidia effect, is surely something, but it is not relevant here because people are lemmings and choose to remain uninformed, so they follow nvidia Implicitly, buying a lesser product for much more money.......

Days gone is entirely different.......People who loved Days gone from day 1, bought days gone on Day 1, they knew what the game about and knew if it jived with them..........Others warmed up to it........What is clear is that Days Gone was up against it from the get-go, from the very first day that title was revealed, there was a concerted effort against it by a very vocal pitchfork crowd "Days Gone is bad, Days Gone is generic", so naturally, when reviews came, they were happy about the non 90+ reviews and meta and continued their "told ya" ribbings........At 72%, people are trying to pretend it's the worst game reviewed this gen and it plays like Superman 64.....Some came here to apply the pressure even more came here to say "Bend is done now"........But guess what, now that people bought Days Gone in droves and loved it, the detractors are upset........Why are you having fun with this shitty game I have not played and never cared for in the first place??? Why are people buying this, it's not even like it's on gamepass.....People are paying $60 for this?

And this is it........The thing is, people bought Days Gone regardless of some very terrible reviews from IGN and Gamespot.....People saw right through these reviews and did not care.....People are already aware, that just like the media swoons over Nvidia and certain devs or publishers, reviewers are not as genuine on playing games and giving fair assessments anymore.......Why was the controls of RDR2 never spoken about, I consider that a bigger sin than any technical issue you may come across in DG, the same for Witcher 3 which saw many patches to improve controls, that is probably the most important aspect of playing interactive media I feel....Generally I don't feel any Sony game had awful controls this gen or that I can remember.......

So no, there's no Halo Effect or Nvidia effect here....The media houses are not swooning over DG....The media houses gave Days Gone the finger, but gamers said, "hold on, wait a minute", many of the things you said about DG is not true, I'm having a splendid experience, moreso than games which you score even higher.........So there's a tale to be said here, but it's not because of people are just blindly jumping over a cliff because it's a "Sony exclusive".......

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

That would hardly explain positive word of mouth now as people are playing the game, repeated orders from stores finishing their stocks, and sales trends being positive.
The game is good, designed by a very small, AAA wise, motivated studio (a game that other publishers would have never given so much time to cook in the oven) that sought to make the game they liked modelled after the lands they are most intimately familiar with.

Not a scarce number of reviews must actually decent/positive (the game would be a 50-60 MC if not)... do not only we have sheepish customers duped by their own fanboyism and cinematic trailers (they are seemingly able to watch only those trailers and nothing showing gameplay for any extended period of time... like about 3 long and wordy DF videos saying the same... but I guess Dark1x must have been bamboozled by something too)... were those reviewers also wrong and the only right reviewers were the subset you agree with... and we talk about bias?!

Then there is, despite understanding of the global market they operate in and plenty of evidence it is something part of both MS and Sony now (Bonnie Ross’s interview as 343i GM, Nadella’s new inclusive company wide deep HR led initiative announced a short while ago, censoring voice chat, etc...)... well the usual Sony = evil SJW tirade that does bring pause when thinking about what is being projected and by whom to be fair...

What I have seen is some people really angry about the game and calling it generic shite constantly, saying all Sony games are all the same, and claiming that “it would receive high scores because reviewers give Sony exclusives extra points by default”. Then as soon as some scores were revealed not to be great, I saw people jumping on it and gloating to the point of creating a thread just to dance on this game’s grave the day after... then the sale reports came in, those people disappeared for a while, and now we are back to shitting on the game as well as the sheeple that bought it / were duped by marketing to buy it... soon enough good word of mouth will be explained in some weird and negative way too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom