• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone delayed (again) to April 26, 2019

Fbh

days_gone_sony_bend_1497317165101.jpg

I know it's being talk about in another thread but since I think news gets lost if we just keep bumping old threads I think it deserves its own thread.
The game originally releasing on February 22 but has been pushed back 2 month to April 26

We want to share a change in release date for this highly anticipated title from Bend Studio. We recently decided to move the release of Days Gone from the crowded February time frame to April 26, 2019. While the studio is eager to see Days Gone in the hands of fans, Bend Studio will take the opportunity to further polish Days Gone.

As PlayStation fans already know, Days Gone is an open-world action game set in the high-desert of the Pacific Northwest. Traversing harsh landscapes on their drifter bike, players must fight for resources as they attempt to survive broken roads, unpredictable weather, attacks from other human factions, infected wildlife and roaming Freakers — a brutal, dynamic world that is dangerous both day and night.

Source

They are pretty direct about it mostly being about getting out of February. Seems smart, the hype isn't so high for this one compared to other recent exclusives and it was set to release on the exact same date as Anthem and Metro Exodus, following a busy January (KH3 and RE2 Remake) and right before a busy March (DMC5 and The Division 2)

Hopefully the delay will give them more time to polish this up! I'm really excited for it but I can't lie, the motorcycle stuff looks floaty and janky. Poor driving mechanics and physics will absolute ruin this open world experience for me. I want this to be good personally because I love the location and zombie games in general.

FranXico

This last delay is mostly to (kind of) avoid sending the game out to die. I think there would have been a bit more interest in this game if it had been announced closer to the PS4 launch.

I really wonder what happened.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
This last delay is mostly to (kind of) avoid sending the game out to die. I think there would have been a bit more interest in this game if it had been announced closer to the PS4 launch.

I really wonder what happened.
I think they are trying to get it to live. The first part of Q1 is crazy stacked.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I feel like this game is never going to actually release.

Elenchus

Banned
Will be interesting to see how folks respond to this given the over the top reactions we saw to CD3 being delayed to avoid that very same release window.

FranXico

Will be interesting to see how folks respond to this given the over the top reactions we saw to CD3 being delayed to avoid that very same release window.
How long ago was CD3 (as well as it's release date) announced and how many times did it get delayed, compared to DG?

mad597

Banned
So is this where Sony fans say the delay is a good thing but would create meme's and proclaim gloom and doom when MS delays games? Looks at the same thread in the other place seems that what the general reaction is. Sony delay =good, MS delay = meme's and cheap shots

Last edited:

FranXico

So is this where Sony fans say the delay is a good thing but would create meme's and proclaim glom and doom when MS delays games? Looks at the same thread int jeh other place seems that what the general reaction is. Sony delay =good, MS delay = meme's and cheap shots
No, this is where people with a persecution complex show up with this kind of drive-by posts.

Dthomp

I get the delay, because there are just to many games coming out in that time window and this title would likely struggle against kh3, division 2, metro and anthem. I am slightly concerned about this one though and I hope the delay helps them. Sony has knocked the ball out of the park with their single player games this gen so I have some earned blind faith, but I fear the zombie fad has run its course and will hurt sales numbers.

AlexxKidd

It was a smart move to get out of a stacked couple months. I could give two shits about Anthem and Metro, but there's a high chance I'll be in a KH3/RE2 haze come mid-February. If only Square Enix had been as smart with Dragon Quest XI.

You can remove "again", because this is the first time the game has been delayed. The February 22nd date was it's first given release window. We never got a "2017" or a "2018". All prior showings had no date, or even a release window.

That being said, this game looks quite bland to me.

Just seems like a move to duck Anthem. Seems smart as while they are different sorts of games the marketing budget for Anthem is likely large and will make a lot of noise. This is fine, imo.

Elenchus

Banned
How long ago was CD3 (as well as it's release date) announced and how many times did it get delayed, compared to DG?

Not sure how that is relevant to my comment? Is there a hard rule around here regarding how many weeks of delay are acceptable and what is unacceptable? Go ahead and pitch us a rule buddy (just make sure you work in a loophole for Last Guardian, Agent, Dreams, and Deep Down).

Hopefully the delay will give them more time to polish this up! I'm really excited for it but I can't lie, the motorcycle stuff looks floaty and janky. Poor driving mechanics and physics will absolute ruin this open world experience for me. I want this to be good personally because I love the location and zombie games in general.
Maybe. I bet this has more to do with getting it into a spot where it might have a shot at some getting attention. That last date was in rough spot. Anthem, Metro, DMC 5, Division 2, Sekiro are all set to release in Feb or March of next year, putting this game out smack dab in the middle of those never really seemed like a good spot.

FranXico

Not sure how that is relevant to my comment? Is there a hard rule around here regarding how many weeks of delay are acceptable and what is unacceptable? Go ahead and pitch us a rule buddy (just make sure you work in a loophole for Last Guardian, Agent, Dreams, and Deep Down).
It's relevant because one game has been more exposed and heavily marketed in its devcycle than the other, so people, especially fans of the franchise, will be more critical of its delays.

I don't care about vaporware like Agent or Deep Down, have joked about Last Guardian myself (it will forever be the reference of ressurected vaporware), and am still cautiously optimistic about Dreams, despite the fact that it's obviously going through dev hell. But I'm sure you can diss a game you would never play anyway to your hearts content. Nobody is stopping you. Does my indifference to your list of worst offenders count as a "loophole"?

How about discussing the game, if you have any kind of interest in it other than console wars?

Last edited:
I feel like this game is never going to actually release.

It will, this isn't surprising because the game had obvious issues from the last gameplay footage from E3 that were going to take a while to kink out. Namely the (AI) path finding issues of the infected. It was acting really odd at times if you noticed it.

There's also the frame rate issues of getting a solid 30 on base consoles.

Isa

Gold Member
I called it! I doubted Sony would want to place it up against those big titles. In fact I wonder, what the future will look like as more companies start to release during what is usually Sony's big release window since it has been a pretty successful time-slot. In regards to Bend and Days Gone I wish them the best. Still looking forward to playing it.

FranXico

then you should of seen the crackdown thread then when this happened. if a game getting delayed makes the game better then no problem
I can imagine there was a lot of trolling, but keep in mind that MS put more weight onto CD3 (a sequel to a loved franchise) when it was introduced, it was even serving as a proof of concept for the "power of the cloud" back then.
It's not that different from all the trolling Dreams threads get.

FranXico

I called it! I doubted Sony would want to place it up against those big titles. In fact I wonder, what the future will look like as more companies start to release during what is usually Sony's big release window since it has been a pretty successful time-slot. In regards to Bend and Days Gone I wish them the best. Still looking forward to playing it.
If/when Days Gone bombs, Bend could be facing shutdown. Sony is said to "value creative freedom", but said freedom is only worth as much as the resulting sales and they don't tolerate failure.

then you should of seen the crackdown thread then when this happened. if a game getting delayed makes the game better then no problem

Sony game gets delayed multiple times.............it's ok.

But just look at that defence move by mr FranX..high five, I salute you...do not give up but fight the fight.

Three

Xbox fans persecution complex the thread.
Crackdown was announced in 2014 near the beginning of this gen and was meant to release in 2016. It's releasing in 2019 after delay after delay. DG was announced in 2016 and is releasing in 2019. The delay for crackdown is longer than the announce to release for DG and people are wondering why people were reacting the way they did to yet another CD3 delay? Get yourselves together.

Last edited:

FranXico

Sony game gets delayed multiple times.............it's ok.

But just look at that defence move by mr FranX..high five, I salute you...do not give up but fight the fight.
This game got delayed once, and I already gave my opinion on multiple Sony exclusives. Go and read all my posts instead of projecting your own fanboyism.

HeresJohnny

I watched a vid of it and was pretty unimpressed. What troubles me most are all the weird details. For example, enemies catch fire way too fast when shot with a flaming bolt. Smoke billows out of windows almost instantly when a fire starts in a building. Dude's base is comprised of a flimsy chain link fence with barb wire and a door that magically opens when his motorcycle gets close. Zombies chew on his motorcycle. Dude walks around muttering to himself in a way that doesn't feel authentic. Dude sleeps with his weapons strapped to his back. I mean, I could go on and on and none of this even has to do with the gameplay part of the game, which looks pretty one-note too.

The delay is a good idea imo, totally necessary. The game doesn't look anywhere ready for prime time.

This game got delayed once, and I already gave my opinion on multiple Sony exclusives. Go and read all my posts instead of projecting your own fanboyism.

They may not have put that on a trailer, but Shuhei at PSX 2017 saying "Days Gone 2018" and the game getting a date in 2019 counts as a delay to me.

Top Bottom