• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone delayed (again) to April 26, 2019

thelastword

Banned
I think instead of delaying it, they should have pushed it up two weeks instead. As it stands. you're now waiting till many AAA games flood the market before DG's release, in the vein of; RE2, ANTHEM, KH, METRO, SEKIRO, DMC5 et al... These are lots of games to buy over a two month span, so most likely people would be delaying their purchases on some of these games even past DG's release, which translates to less potential buyers for DG at launch....

Say it releases Feb 5th or 7th and gets reviews in the 80+% range, it's a new IP, it will do well and word of mouth will carry it to even outperform some of the AAA releases which would come after, especially if said AAA releases don't review as well as DG....Persons who were probably saving their money to buy one of these AAA games or a second game in that list, may now spring it on DG due to good reviews and word of mouth, because it's already on the market ahead of such titles....

It's a case where if you delay DG after the release of all of those titles, people would have already spent all their disposable income on a bevy of games. So if DG comes out after these games and it's good and better than some of these AAA games, gamers have already splooged, whether they regret it or not, the money is already gone, so that can affect DG's initial sales as a result...

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I am okay with this. The backlog needs tender loving care still, and RDR2 will be absorbing a lot of play time through the rest of the year and into next I feel.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Sony game gets delayed multiple times.............it's ok.

But just look at that defence move by mr FranX..high five, I salute you...do not give up but fight the fight.

just how it is around here, Crackdown 3 has only been show a couple of times and got a shit ton of laughter getting delayed on here, Now Days Gone is delayed its better for the game, was coming out in a packed market and its giving it time to shine. Dual standards as always, like I said on here before delaying the game and making it a better game is better for everyone all round

Ar¢tos

just how it is around here, Crackdown 3 has only been show a couple of times and got a shit ton of laughter getting delayed on here, Now Days Gone is delayed its better for the game, was coming out in a packed market and its giving it time to shine. Dual standards as always, like I said on here before delaying the game and making it a better game is better for everyone all round
I don't get comments like this...
When was Crackdown announced? How many times was it delayed? How much time has passed since the first announcement?
Now ask the same questions about Days Gone and subtract "THE POWAH OF THE CLOUDZ" that Crackdown used for creating hype and see what is the difference is.
Sony isn't even advertising it as a AAA game. Comparing a AAA game supposedly created to debut a brand new game changing technology to a AA/AAA- game is really stupid.

Three

what has it being shown a couple of times got to do with anything? The fact that it wasn't shown is actually worse. Crackdown 3s delay got a bad reaction because the game was meant to release in 2016. It didn't show at E3 2016 and people were told it was delayed and will arrive in 2017 for the best experience.

https://www.crackdown.com/2016/06/13/crackdown-3-arriving-in-2017/

It didn't show up in 2017 and people were told release is spring 2018. It didn't show up in 2018 and people told to wait for 2019.

https://www.google.bg/amp/s/www.pol...76/crackdown-3-delay-2019-xbox-one-windows-pc

The entire announce to release cycle for Days gone is shorter than the delay period for crackdown. Why are the xbox usuals so desperately trying to draw a parallel to Crackdown 3's delay?

Days gone was slated for 2018. It got delayed to April 2019. It is not a crackdown situation in any way, at least not yet. I'm sure if they delay it for another 2 years like Crackdown 3 then you would get the exact same reactions. Drop the persecution complex.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The main thing for me is Days Gone has looked better with every showing, whereas Crackdown 3 has been on a steady downslide since that tech demo showing destruction back in 2015. The gameplay footage from last year looked, frankly, like a hot mess.

This video is a shocker.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
When was Crackdown announced? How many times was it delayed? How much time has passed since the first announcement?
Now ask the same questions about Days Gone and subtract "THE POWAH OF THE CLOUDZ" that Crackdown used for creating hype and see what is the difference is.
Sony isn't even advertising it as a AAA game. Comparing a AAA game supposedly created to debut a brand new game changing technology to a AA/AAA- game is really stupid.

hey it was another poster who brought up crackdown release, I commented that the delay would help Days Gone don't get so defensive

phil_t98

#SonyToo
what has it being shown a couple of times got to do with anything? The fact that it wasn't shown is actually worse. Crackdown 3s delay got a bad reaction because the game was meant to release in 2016. It didn't show at E3 2016 and people were told it was delayed and will arrive in 2017 for the best experience.

https://www.crackdown.com/2016/06/13/crackdown-3-arriving-in-2017/

It didn't show up in 2017 and people were told release is spring 2018. It didn't show up in 2018 and people told to wait for 2019.

https://www.google.bg/amp/s/www.pol...76/crackdown-3-delay-2019-xbox-one-windows-pc

The entire announce to release cycle for Days gone is shorter than the delay period for crackdown. Why are the xbox usuals so desperately trying to draw a parallel to Crackdown 3's delay?

Days gone was slated for 2018. It got delayed to April 2019. It is not a crackdown situation in any way, at least not yet. I'm sure if they delay it for another 2 years like Crackdown 3 then you would get the exact same reactions. Drop the persecution complex.

again I said its positive for the game getting delayed if the game gets better, not dissing the game

HeresJohnny

The more I think about it, the more wise it would be to move Days Gone to a PS5 launch title. People are a little more forgiving with launch titles, and given the assumed horsepower increase of the PS5, the game would at least LOOK good. I just don't see this game doing well coming in late to the party at a near over generation and after the holidays. It's just not looking good enough to drive those sales.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I do hope they curb the chatter quite a lot. the 'have actor, will use' mentality I often see in video games becomes quite the distraction.

Will be interesting to see how folks respond to this given the over the top reactions we saw to CD3 being delayed to avoid that very same release window.
You can already see in this thread. People already saying this will give them time to improve and delay is good but for Cd 3 response was far more negative.

Xbox fans persecution complex the thread.
Crackdown was announced in 2014 near the beginning of this gen and was meant to release in 2016. It's releasing in 2019 after delay after delay. DG was announced in 2016 and is releasing in 2019. The delay for crackdown is longer than the announce to release for DG and people are wondering why people were reacting the way they did to yet another CD3 delay? Get yourselves together.
TLG delay was even longer. Ppl needs to understand no delay is bad.

Inuteu

I think the delay is a smart joyce comercialy, since february is packed

but it could be released in march instead

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I played this at PAX Australia. It was better than I was expecting.

But make no mistake, the version of the demo I played was 100% Last of Us 1.5. Hell, the guy from Sony that introduced us to the game specifically called it a blend of Last of Us and Uncharted with zombies lol.

Last edited:

Three

This is a relatively old thread bumped for the gameplay video. I wasn't suggesting a delay is bad or good just why people understandably had a different reaction to this delay vs Crackdown or as you mentioned TLG. In the case of Crackdown 3 it was multiple delays and promised release dates spanning 3 years. Days Gone is a 2 month delay, 4 months max.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The main thing for me is Days Gone has looked better with every showing, whereas Crackdown 3 has been on a steady downslide since that tech demo showing destruction back in 2015. The gameplay footage from last year looked, frankly, like a hot mess.

This video is a shocker.

Crazy for me it’s quite opposite. Days Gone came from looking insane to a indie game that costs 20 bucks.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Crazy for me it’s quite opposite. Days Gone came from looking insane to a indie game that costs 20 bucks.

The sawmill set-piece hasn't been re-shown since the initial reveal, but I see no reason why I shouldn't still be in there. That being said, if you compare the early part of that footage (prior to the horde descending) you can see how much improvement has been made on the game generally in terms of animation and general visual quality.

You can't write-off that whole horde-chase section as being faked either as there are 2 videos of it showing alternative paths being taken.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I´m so fucking tired of Sonys first party output. Everything just seems the same. And this one in particular just looks like its gone through the obligatory Last of Us-filter, slapped some bikers on it, and called it a day. Lame and uninspiring to say the least.

Zimmy68

Yes, but constant delays this late in the development is a huge red flag.

Either a problem with management or a huge game mechanic isn't working.

Something doesn't smell right.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I´m so fucking tired of Sonys first party output. Everything just seems the same. And this one in particular just looks like its gone through the obligatory Last of Us-filter, slapped some bikers on it, and called it a day. Lame and uninspiring to say the least.

Oh please, TLOU was released in 2013, back at the tail-end of last gen.

blackjon24

What if this turns out better than RDR2?

It very well could in the moment to moment gameplay. I think overall red dead 2 as a complete package is as good as it gets, the gunplay and sluggishness of the player character leaves much to be desired.

MDSLKTR

It very well could in the moment to moment gameplay. I think overall red dead 2 as a complete package is as good as it gets, the gunplay and sluggishness of the player character leaves much to be desired.
If it controls as good as horizon (pinnacle of tps open world controls for me) then we're in for something.

mejin

GG with Horizon and Insomniac with Spider were the last two big Sony AAA games people had concerns and they were really good in the end. I think Bend Studios can also do a good job too. Hope for the better.

Kerotan

I appreciate Sony constantly delaying so many games to April and May. Traditionally those months would have nothing knew for me to buy but February and March would. There's nothing worse then multiple games i want releasing at once.

odd_hatch

Are there any triple A games that aren't going through some kind of development hell lately? I miss the days where we had so much choice, but now we have to wait ages for new stuff. I can't just spend years dreaming about Cyberpunk and Death Stranding...

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
sign me in

Take that comment as you will. I liked Last of Us.

But there were 2 demos and we got to choose which one we played. A Horde one, where you had to defeat a horde of freakers in the alloted time and the more casual exploratory one. I chose the latter.

What's even stupider is laughing about a title they never had any intentions of getting. See I'm mature enough to say Days Gone is looking better and the delays will help it, same thing as Crackdown 3.

The big difference here is Sony has the luxury to keep delaying their titles and continuously showing them early. Crackdown 3 was delayed because it looked rough and I imagine the online/cloud destruction was not reaching their goals but again the delay will be hugely beneficial.

Crackdown was never a top tiered IP like Halo and Forza and Gears, so the little dig that Day's Gone should be given less attention is ridiculous.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I've watched and watched to try and put my finger on what it is I don't quite like and what other people may not like and I think I've got it nailed:

The game mechanics appear to be designed for 'forward' momentum when taking on enemies. The problem here is that the enemies are fast, will flank you often and the hordes are so big, forward momentum is rendered useless. You are going to spend a lot of time in this game running away or trying to put distance between you and the enemy. That ISN'T catered for and so the slower mechanics, perfect for forward momentum, make manoeuvring or turning around inadequate for the inevitable confrontations we're going to face, particularly the hordes.

Conclusion: There HAS to be a blind throw over our shoulder (with reduced damage) in order to give us breathing room. There HAS to be a quick turn that's easy and instinctive to use. There HAS to be a fast backward walk animation. The character HAS to run slightly faster in order to give the quick turn a realistic window of opportunity.

Think about it, we have not seen any game mechanics specifically designed to cater for dealing with 'pursuing' enemies, only mechanics for dealing with lots of enemies. THAT is why it often comes across as janky and that is why for some people it looks uninteresting. Think of this as a top down twin stick shooter done in third person and you'll immediately understand what I mean because the scenarios they're presenting are exactly that.

Last edited:

autoduelist

I do not get the hate for this game. I've had it preordered for ages. Looks great. Do t mind a wait, I've still got rdr2, dqxi, and Spider-Man to get through.

Inuteu

Take that comment as you will. I liked Last of Us.

But there were 2 demos and we got to choose which one we played. A Horde one, where you had to defeat a horde of freakers in the alloted time and the more casual exploratory one. I chose the latter.

Last of Us with hordes

I think it will be fun

I do not get the hate for this game either

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.dualshockers.com/days-gone-box-art/

Days-Gone-Box-Art.jpg

EDMIX

Are there any triple A games that aren't going through some kind of development hell lately? I miss the days where we had so much choice, but now we have to wait ages for new stuff. I can't just spend years dreaming about Cyberpunk and Death Stranding...

" but now we have to wait ages for new stuff" When did we not have to wait for a game to be released?

EDMIX

I know right, we are always getting open world zombie RPGs by them /s

Last edited:
Top Bottom