• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone details, No Multiplayer, Dynamic day/night cycle, plus more

Loudninja

Summary from 3rdamention

New gameplay
I'm not sure if this has been posted.

Extended gameplay presentation

Different route and mechanics.

I assume this has been posted, but the Devs of Days Gone just sat down with RoosterTeeth and they are talking all about the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyCHplt0no

Since Rooster Teeth is broadcasting live, just click the link, rewind the video about 30-45 minutes, they are really breaking it down.

* Studio is about 100 people, was around 40 - 50 for Uncharted Vita.

* Game is PS4 Exclusive, no PC mode "We are Sony Bend, we are PS4 Exclusive" lol. At Sony Bend, they make it very clear during interview, everyone wears a lot of hats. Many people are involved in different aspects.

* One thing I picked up is you ride a special bike, called a Drifter, that can drive off road, they said lots of off roading since the roads are all broken up, "Broken Roads." The bike is needed to survive, it is like its own character. It has saddle bags that holds your inventory. The bike is grounded, you will need to "know where it is and manage it" Several devs are bikers, lots of research into the bike. Actually got it up on rollers to make sure they got the sound of the bike right.

* Also, weather has a big effect on traveling and how the bike handles.

* No Multiplayer at all, focusing on their strengths, single player story.

* Demo was a bounty hunting mission, hunting down a biker "2 Dog" and tried to show the danger of leaving the safety of encampments.

* Wanted the game to be a big sandbox of what you would do when "shit goes down."

* Weapons crafting system, they call a "MacGuyver Mentality" where the you figure out clever ways to build tools to get out of situations.

* Their demo they are showing off on show floor has "millions" of ways to play that demo, depending on what tools you bring with you. The environment also plays a huge role in how you deal with certain situations.

* Takes place just a few years after the "apocolypse" event. Society is starting to try to rebuild, as supplies are starting to run out. Made it sound like part of the game is figuring out what to do with the resources you find.

* Wildlife is in the game, they have a "huge" wildlife system they aren't going to talk much about right now. But the event didn't wipe out all wildlife.

* Not willing to talk yet about different story paths, different endings, etc. They chuckled but they dont want to talk about it yet.

* Zombie hoard was all real, no LOD tricks, there are that many people on the screen.

* No release date or time window. They aren't wanting to do that right now.

* It was huge for their studio to be right up there on stage, getting prime focus, along with all of Sony's other big studios. It showed them how much Sony believes in their product. It meant a lot to them.

* Game has been in development for 3+ years, but still its in early development as they just only finished core mechanics/ideas of the game and not ready yet

And thats it! Loved listening to that.

From Ironcreed
Exemplifying truly free-form gameplay, Days Gone offers freedom to explore, strategize and play “your way” in the vast high-desert of the Pacific Northwest. The hazardous environments, filled with carved out ridges, mountains, caves, cliffs mines and river basins, deliver a breathtaking backdrop to an equally diverse style of gameplay.

Emergent Gameplay

Featuring fully explorable environments and dynamic AI enemies, players will rely on their own abilities to strategize, craft weapons and tools, explore the world, and engage in combat. With almost every car, building and environment searchable, Days Gone delivers emergent gameplay possibilities, making a player’s approach to combat and discovery a vital part of the experience.

Stunning, Dynamic Graphics

Using the power of PlayStation 4 and Unreal Engine 4, Bend Studio has developed a high volume of rendering and gameplay technology to deliver an incredibly realistic open world experience. Realistic weather effects, such as rain, wind, snow and day-night cycles impact the gameplay. The game’s lighting is all real-time and reacts dynamically, the way the human iris does, as players move from one location to the next.
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/days-gone-ps4/

Kinda Funny:
-The Freakers eat,sleep and drink ,the virus keeps them alive
-Their is a counter in the game that keeps tracks of the number of enemies in the horde
-The Freakers hibernate doing the day,so you can set traps for them in that time
- The game was design with the bikes in mind
-No urban areas
-Their is a upgrade a system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqS0jLR6efU

hawk2025

I think it could work as a game. I'm cautiously optimistic.

The way the horde worked seemed certainly unique and the biggest potential of the game.

It has a similar aesthetic to TLoU but seemed to play much differently. I would welcome multiple games of TLoUs caliber though.

Lingitiz

It looked good but I hope they put some polish on the shooting mechanics. The bullets had no impact and the weapon sounds were flat.

I thought the demo looked great and I can't wait to see how the various other approaches work but they reel in the hyperbole..

Millions of way to approach the demo? C'mon son.

Dominator

I really liked what I saw last night, so I'm interested to see more. I love Bend so I'm sure I'll enjoy this either way.

Grisby

Was down on this after the trailer, but watching the demo lightened my mood. The human bits weren't that great, but the feeling of having that many zombies in a true survival type deal could be neat.

Sounds cool.

Just need to work to polish the overall gunplay. That part really stood out at the conference as being not up to par.

Macrotus

When I first saw the trailer, I was like "leave that TLOU type of game to ND, it just gets old if you see a same type of game over and over frequently",
but after reading the details listed in the OP, I'm getting interested.

Like the dynamic weather and how it affects vehicles and day night time cycle.
I'm curious how big the world is.

dugdug

Banned
I'm interested to see more, but, can't deny that it looked very generic to me, and not much of this new info is helping. Sounds like your standard open-world game so far.

Blueingreen

I'm surprised a Sony first party is using UE4 of all things, they usually have their own propriety engines, I wonder why?

Venom Fox

Banned
This looks amazing. Said in the other thread that it feels refreshing to have Zombies react like that. Falling realistically and chasing realistically, scrambling over one another when the bridge collapses.

Edit: The sense of tension was just something else.

So sick of zombies and overgrown post apocalyptia, but am interested in the game in spite of those things. I can stomach clichés if the game is good and this looks really well made and I love Bend's games. Best thing so far is the biking and survival/tool/resources stuff. Sounds like we are gonna get a very meaty game.

Patapwn

I want them to work on the gun sounds because what they were using in the demo sounded like a pea shooter

Sons of Anarchy was a big influence they said.. there were some other points I didn't get, it's worth a watch...

Thanks for sharing this LoudNinja ;)

Fury451

Banned
Wildlife system? I assume it includes deer hunting because Sony seems to hate dear.

Honestly all these feature sound a lot better than what was initially shown. All the horde type stuff was impressive the rest of it just didn't leave much of a notable impact. All the pieces coming together can make a pretty cool title though.

That sounds great but it makes the demo seem worse, I don't think it accurately conveyed the "craft your way out of a situation using tools" that seems to be a big focus. It was basically run and shoot red barrels

But I'm definitely excited to see more now, I have faith in Bend. They seem very passionate about this

eFKac

Shame about the no multiplayer part, gsmeplay seemed to fit the formula.

Hopefully it's strong narratively.

Loudninja

its been awhile :p

1996 Bubsy 3D PlayStation
1999 Syphon Filter
2000 Syphon Filter 2
2001 Syphon Filter 3
2004 Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain PlayStation 2
2006 Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2
2007 Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
2009 Resistance: Retribution PlayStation Portable
2011 Uncharted: Golden Abyss PlayStation Vita