• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone Director John Garvin Says Metacritic Score Is Everything to Sony

Aenima

If this was true Knack 2 would never happened.

All publishers care about how they games are reviwed and received. But most important is how they sell. And Days Gone sold quite well.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
That's just sad in a way. Game journos and even devs at times know jack shit about gaming. Besides, there are games in certain genres that will never resonate with Metacritic at the +90 level Sony wants these days: Horror games, Character action, arcade racing, arcade sports and more.
Seems like Sony first party will consist of third person cinematic action adventure games for a long while. With SJW approved themes to get an extra 10 points in MC. Because you are sure as hell Days Gone score would be higher if the main character was different.

And also you will never get an online game from Sony it seems. Those games evolve over time and Metacritic is not the proper way to measure them. If MS had Sony's mindset they would have axed Sea of Thieves when released, and its now one of the most sucessful games and a perpetual top seller on Steam

Aenima

And also you will never get an online game from Sony it seems. Those games evolve over time and Metacritic is not the proper way to measure them. If MS had Sony's mindset they would have axed Sea of Thieves when released, and its now one of the most sucessful games and a perpetual top seller on Steam
Naughty Dog is literally working on a TLOU online only game.

Perrott

Gold Member
That's just sad in a way. Game journos and even devs at times know jack shit about gaming. Besides, there are games in certain genres that will never resonate with Metacritic at the +90 level Sony wants these days: Horror games, Character action, arcade racing, arcade sports and more.
Really?

Horror: Resident Evil 2 Remake, Resident Evil 7
Character Action: Bayonetta 2, Devil May Cry V
Arcade Racing: Forza Horizon 4
Sports: MLB The Show

Your game's genre doesn't dictate it's Metacritic performance.
Actually, Jade Raymond is working on an online game for Sony, same as Arrowhead, same as Naughty Dog and a second team over at Guerrilla...

These things aren't always black or white, there are nuances to pretty much every decision that gets made.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
metacritic is one of the biggest antics in the industry. Especially the way it's designed. After this interview it is clearer why at sony greenlight mostly the same type of game (narrative third person actionish). Sad

The game killed it with user reviews though. Does Sony not care what the fans think? it has an 8.3 user review score. I know the response to that is well user reviews can be manipulated. Well I'm pretty sure most of the nearly 8000 user reviews were not manipulated.

I was pleasantly surprised with the game.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeap if you remove the sales from the equation it looks like that...

But hey if the game sold 10+ million no matter what Metacritic it have Sony will invest in the sequel.

BTW others games with sub-80 meta had sequels from Sony.

Last edited:
So this explains why they are catering to woke twitterite journos and not their actual customers, the gamers. Anything to get the san fran and nyc journos to collude and write positive press and write hit peices on gamers and youtubers who push back.

This sucks. I really loved Days Gone and would of loved a sequel.

The game killed it with user reviews though. Does Sony not care what the fans think? it has an 8.3 user review score. I know the response to that is well user reviews can be manipulated. Well I'm pretty sure most of the nearly 8000 user reviews were not manipulated.

I was pleasantly surprised with the game.
Apparently not, if they did then they would be pissed at Naughty Dog as their tlou2 was roasted by gamer critics while Ghost of Tushima was praised. tlou2 - 5.7 on metacritic from user reviews.

CoD Cold War only has 76 metascore. Fucking trash. Cancel the sequels and fire the director.

npd_march_2021_top_20_sellers-1152x648.jpg

Actually, you know what... I changed my mind.

Outriders is even lower so yeah, it's really naive to focus too much on metascore.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
CoD Cold War only has 76 metascore. Fucking trash. Cancel the sequels and fire the director.

Outriders is even lower so yeah, it's really naive to focus too much on metascore.

and mobile games make more money than both. so fuck metascore and console games sony. close all AAA studios and focus on phones. it's really naive to focus on sale charts. games as a service is the real deal.

Last edited:
They go off metacritic because gamers go off Metacritic

I suppose there's some truth to that, but I personally feel it's one of the worst things to happen to the games industry. Nobody is paying attention to the content, design and written word anymore. It's largely now just a score and short snippets.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So basically Sony is no different than any other publisher in the video game industry.
New Sony yes.

They used to be much better. Now Microsoft is doing what Sony used to do. Invest in New studios and new games.

This is bound to blow up on Sony's face. Just like it did in Microsoft's last gen.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
71 is a good score to Microsoft first party :messenger_sunglasses:
2021 (Winner Sony)
MSFT 78,6
Sony 79,8%

2020 (winner Microsoft)
MSFT 76,4
Sony 71,5

2019 (winner Microsoft)
MSFT 76,6
Sony 71,8

2018 (Winner So... Bethesda)
MSFT 72
Bethesda 79,9
Sony 74,9

2017 (Winner Microsoft)
MSFT 77,6
Sony 70,9

2016 (Winner Microsoft)
MSFT 78,8
Sony 74,4

2015 (Winner Sony)
MSFT 68,9
Sony 72,5

8th Generation Sony VS Microsoft

Winner:

Microsoft

OOOOPS ;)

Stuart360

Honestly i was thinking this the other day, when thinking of a reason why Sony wouldnt greenlight Days Gone 2 if the first game got good enough sales, which it seemingly did.
I mean whats the other Sony first party game that sticks out when you think middling reviews that dont match the usual high standards of Sony first party?, Driveclub. And we all know what happened there.

modiz

Now we know why Driveclub was treated the way it was treated by Sony.
Also everyone hoping for a sequel to The Order 1886 can finally stop hoping, it won't happen.

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
71 is a good score to Microsoft first party :messenger_sunglasses:
Thread has nothing to do with Microsoft but this loser wants to bring in console wars...again! Also, your statement was bullshit too proven by poster above!
everyone cares about metacritic, not just sony.

why is everyone on a crusade against sony these days? MS and Nintendo are just as shitty when it comes to practices.
Is this backed up by any example? Do you know how many Nintendo franchises received a sequel because they sell well?

Last edited:

odhiex

If you ask me, I would say that this is the wrong way of doing business. However, you need some kind of measurement to determine quality of a product, can't be just a feeling.

Metacritic (or other metrics) is a bad tool for measuring quality, but it does give you something. I would say it is not perfect, but publishers are still using it.

longdi

Banned
death stranding has a metascore of 82 now.
thats why sony and kojima relation have turned cold?

this 'metascore is everything' sony, means we wont get 2nd chance games like nier automata? :messenger_astonished: 🤞

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i think it depends on critics review and user review, sometimes they are totally different.

Furthermore, user reviews were not accurate as they can just spam 0 or 10

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Days Gone is currently at 71% on Metacritics and that doesn't seem to be enough for Sony

unknown.png

The news that a pitch for Days Gone 2 had been rejected by Sony prompted David Jaffe, the game designer known for creating God of War and Twisted Metal, to host video interviews with Days Gone directors on his YouTube channel.
Last week he had Jeff Ross, while yesterday it was John Garvin's turn (who, by the way, was also the game's writer).

Garvin revealed to have left Sony Bend merely days after the game's release in April 2019. When Jaffe asked him how he took the first wave of Days Gone reviews, Garvin replied:
"I took it hard, to be honest, because, again...This is just the reality of Sony, Metacritic score is everything.
If you're the creative director on a franchise and your game is coming out to a 70, you're not going to be the creative director on that franchise for very long"

Indeed, Sony has had a string of critically acclaimed game releases with the likes of Uncharted, The Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Marvel's Spider-Man, Dreams, and most recently Ghost of Tsushima.

On the other hand, there's evidence Sony might actually be looking for both outstanding critical acclaim and commercial success nowadays.
For example, Japan Studio's Gravity Rush 2 had an average Metacritic score of 80 but didn't really sell well and that was the last game ever made by Team Gravity.
Japan Studio as a whole was essentially shut down and will now focus on supporting Asobi Team, the makers of Astro Bot Rescue Mission and Astro's Playroom, as confirmed by Sony earlier this month.

Days Gone may not have had high critical acclaim, but it did sell pretty well and managed to find a dedicated fanbase.
That's demonstrated by the Change.org petition asking Sony to greenlight a sequel; it already got over 32.6K signatures and even Jeff Ross himself asked his Twitter followers to participate while tagging SIE Worldwide Studio head Hermen Hulst.

Days Gone is about to launch on PC in a month from now. Perhaps a successful launch on this platform could persuade Sony to eventually develop another installment, thus satisfying everyone eager for a follow-up on that story cliffhanger.

It got lower metacritic score than expected, aside from racist reviews, due to buggy and broken review copies, according to a French journalist who reached Jeff Ross live on davidjaffe davidjaffe stream. So let's not put that on the side.

But of course they won't highlight that he said Microsoft would never greenlight the project, nor Sony was so generous and give them time and support they needed like no other. You know, that doesn't shed good light on the paying FUD spreader.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I like Cold War. Just got into it recently. Has a good feel to the game and the maps are decent, although the few rehash maps like Express and Raid I hate. Dont need another Nuke Town for the millionth time.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony should learn from MS and don’t be ashamed of pumping out 60 MC game after 60 MC game.

Also they skipped when he said that Microsoft would never greenlight the project and Sony was so generous and supportive and that's something you don't get in the industry.

You know, as a jorno being fed by MS you're not allowed to paint MS in a negative way, just nitpick what works for MS FUD campaign so you can put food on your kids table. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Fucking mercenaries.

Last edited:
So basically Sony is no different than any other publisher in the video game industry.

people keep pretending they dont understand whats been said in this thread. Evey publisher cares about making money, thats why they're in the bussiness of making games. If the MC score that comes with that is nice, so be it. Sony cares to have the number plastered on their website first and foremost. Which leads to games designed by comitee as the ones that they're doing, with agendas, like tlou2, which are made almost like in a lab with the sole intent of caressing reviewers and hitting the right strings with them so they score high.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Honestly i was thinking this the other day, when thinking of a reason why Sony wouldnt greenlight Days Gone 2 if the first game got good enough sales, which it seemingly did.
I mean whats the other Sony first party game that sticks out when you think middling reviews that dont match the usual high standards of Sony first party?, Driveclub. And we all know what happened there.

Also having 2 zombie games pretty close to each other, along with many zombie games coming out like some zombie craze lately. What really happened is Days Gone 2 is put on hold and Sony are allowing Bend to make an even bigger project. Days Gone cost more than $150M according to John Gavin when asked by Jaffe if it passed that, and he said yes. It had so many edits and changes that wasted too much money. It's not something new as Cory once said that he wasted $100M on preproduction phase just trying out concepts! And the game itself cost $80M.

Bend with a clear vision of what they're doing next and learning from their mistakes and probably using the same codes with tweaks will only mean a solid game, more polished. He expected to be sacked because he wasn't good with people, he saw that coming and even Sony put him in some courses to improve him. Yet he loves Sony and praises them which means he has zero beef with them.

I can only see good news, although I loved Days Gone. TLOU2 was put on hold as well until Uncharted 4, and we're talking about two of the best game of the last decade.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Lucid Games released a 63 metacritic game, Destruction Allstars, and seems like they're still healthy, although it's a private entity so that doesn't mean future PS exclusives:

GymWolf

This is sad considering how shitty modern videogame journalism is...

I fear sony becoming more woke to please the modern soy journalists.

Last edited:

Sw0pDiller

Oh my, another thread to judge Sony about wanting to make great games and looking at how they are being received. Is that so crazy? I think ALL publishers want their games to be praised and well received.

modiz

This is sad considering how shitty modern videogame journalism is...

I fear sony becoming more woke to please the modern soy journalists.
You mean the ones that they already have in the bag? No need for that, the "relationship" is already strong.

Zeusexy

I feel bad for the devs. This shouldn't be normal and it's depressing how people justify this by saying the usual "everyone does it so it's fine".

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how the user score for last of us 2 makes them feel.

xrnzaaas

This is definitely bad for the gamers, because chasing after 10/10 scores from the journos means you're not exactly thinking about delivering the best games, just about catering to what the reviewers like and pleasing their ideologies. The creative side takes a big hit and you automatically ignore some genres (like racing games) where getting top scores is very hard. I really hope that chasing after metascore and catering to woke journos will ultimately start hurting Sony financially, but even then I wouldn't expect them to admit to their mistakes and change their ways.

Honestly I won't be surprised if I'll end up buying a lot less of Sony's first party games this gen, even though I like supporting singleplayer games.

Last edited:

McCheese

Didnt some reviewers dock a point just for the "I hope you ride me as often as your bike" wedding vow stuff?

But let's be fair, neither this not gravity rush made Sony money, the metascores are just a factor alongside sales. Both of which were below expectations here.

Last edited:

Withnail

Sadly this shouldn't be a surprise to anybody who pays attention to Sony's first party output.

Unfortunately most games criticism is absolutely awful and people thinking Metacritic is some kind of objective measure of quality is a cancer on the industry.

Top Bottom