• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone Game Director Live Stream Interview Tomorrow

I think Sony wanna give a break from Zombie games. I think TLOU3 isn't happening any time soon either. I really hope that there is a sci-fi, story-driven game coming from some of their top studios like the canceled one from SSM that they might revisit? From their canceled project, might be too ambitious for last gen:

QmLheQ1.jpg

gzs8EOol.jpg

screen-shot-2017-02-17-at-10-24-02-am-720x720.png
Zombies were beating a dead horse 25 years ago. What you see now is neo zombists trying to resseurect the past. Irony is a hell of a drug

But like that's not a negative either. If bend were on ND support for a few months that's not a negative. If they're making a new IP that's also not a negative. They could always start a DG2 in 3 or 4 years after the new IP. By then the first will have been played by millions more on the PS5 where it's an absolute joy to play.

Like Perrott Perrott explained to me people kept their jobs due to these decisions.

I know it sucks that a game was cancelled but it's better than people losing their jobs or having the studio shut down.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Zombies were beating a dead horse 25 years ago. What you see now is neo zombists trying to resseurect the past. Irony is a hell of a drug

Yeah it was cool when played RE2 back on PS1, second zombie game was TLOU1 actually after that, then Dying Light, then Days Gone then TLOU2. Ghosts aren't cool anymore. Problem is everyone rides those trends, even movies/series which is irritating.

Bragr

Banned
The issue with his article is that trying to create a narrative about studios of hundreds of people when your sources are realistically limited is a dangerous path.
Yeah, this has always been a red flag for me Schreier, in a studio, you will have plenty of people who are sick of their job or unhappy because it wasn't what they expected, especially in an industry where people move between studios on a project to project basis. And if you perform any type of survey, a studio with 60+ people will always feature a decent amount of people who will dislike the current work environment, you can't paint that as a picture of the studio or even as any sort of average. I know Schreier knows that, but he does a bad job of mentioning that and does not even try to be objective with his fans and explain it, but rather he supports the witch hunts that result from his work.

dyergram

Is it possible that dg2 was pitched rejected then re pitched and accepted? Either way it’s glaringly obvious js puts his own spin on leaks in order to generate outrage clicks. He’s only slightly ahead of the professional game release guessers (insiders) that make super obvious predictions or just re package statements from Sony themselves like Jim Ryan saying they have an answer to gamepass in the works and that they actively cultivate studios to make aaa titles.

Fake

On the stream. Someone posted to him the post on resetera about Jason saying the Days Gone director was lying. Watch the stream dude. David reconsider that tweet after read Jason post.

The tweet you post was before he know about Jason calling the director a lier.

edit: I guess Jason blocked David.

Last edited:
Yeah it was cool when played RE2 back on PS1, second zombie game was TLOU1 actually after that, then Dying Light, then Days Gone then TLOU2. Ghosts aren't cool anymore. Problem is everyone rides those trends, even movies/series which is irritating.
You left out several big brand titles. Not disagreeing, just saying zombies have had their moment and the genre has nothing left to offer.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You left out several big brand titles. Not disagreeing, just saying zombies have had their moment and the genre has nothing left to offer.

I mean, when after RE2 I had a slate of nightmares, why I would fucking play zombies games or horror games at all? I've totally stopped playing any kind of horror games until lately. I got shit load of nightmares from the lickers and that Mr. X mofo.:messenger_face_screaming:

I mean, when after RE2 I had a slate of nightmares, why I would fucking play zombies games or horror games at all? I've totally stopped playing any kind of horror games until lately. I got shit load of nightmares from the lickers and that Mr. X mofo.:messenger_face_screaming:
Which RE2? New or old? If new, I could see the "horror" sticking more. I've not lost sleep or awoken in cold sweat because of a game.

Raven117

Gold Member
I just think Bend showed they have the chops to put together an interesting open world with natural characters that were both flawed and endearing.

don’t want days gone 2? Fine. But they have proven they are more than support staff to ND.

Great interview and all but what's up with callers being super loud? It's like Jaffe's volume level is at 5 and the callers are at 25.

It’s insane how ResetEra has become recently. I actually can’t stand it anymore.

They literally started shutting on some guy earlier who said that because he doesn’t have a lot of time to play games or research what he wants to play, he only plays games which are 85+ on Metacritic now, as he thinks there’s a higher chance of him enjoying them than a random game with 70+. I think that’s reasonable and it’s totally his decision if he wants to do that.

A user called “nekked” literally said:
“Can you not see how this quantitative target of 90+ MC for a subjective analysis is damaging to game development? To pour your efforts into a game and have your bonus stripped because you didn’t hit some arbitrary target defined by people in suits? What’s next? People losing their jobs because they didn’t hit that target?”

I swear nobody on ResetEra has a job because they don’t seem to understand that real jobs have targets and expectations for what you’re going to deliver as part of what you’re paid to do. It’s like people there don’t understand how the real world works and they think everything should be sugar coated.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Fair enough. Diablo 2 i dreamed of deckard Cain beckoning me to save the realm against evil. Gaming has its moments.

But honestly RE2 wasn't THAT horror, it only had insanely creepy creatures like the final boss and all the eyes, leeches eating threw your guts, and the very seen of 4 zombies eating the guts of a policeman. Mr. X looks daft but his face and zero human interaction what makes him creepy.

The real horror is Silent Hill, but it has some very goofy enemies that makes you laugh instead feeling scared, but the atmosphere is there.

Something like PT and Japanese horror in general those are real horror, I won't touch there because believe it or not they are built on real basis, but of course exaggerate to the roof.

GHG

Gold Member
So Sony will not respond to Jasons piece at all.... they never learn.

It's open season now.

While it's admirable that they tend to want to let the results speak for themselves (not so much anymore with Jim Ryan constantly bullshit ting everyone but whatever...), there comes a time when you need to stand up for yourself. It's now getting to the point where that's overdue.

I've got a horror in my pants just for you Bo

It's pretty obvious at this point that Jason's report is accurate. 2 things are at play, people just hating the messenger and fanboys in denial.
The “accuracy” of what he said is not so much the issue, but rather how he tried to frame it as “unrest” at PS when in fact, Jeff said that Sony gives their studios lots of creative freedom, Jim Ryan and Herman Hulst are brilliant at their job, Bend employees helping with other projects during the downtime was great as it meant they kept their jobs and didn’t have to downsize when in between projects etc. Jason tried to frame this in a completely different light to try to get clicks and create a scandal, when in actual fact, everything that was going on was completely normal.

Funny thing is, Jason basically called Jeff a liar, yet Jeff praised him. LOL

Actually, Jeff said it was bullshit for Bend studio to he a support studio
I honestly think Jeff is just being nice and trying to play very, very neutral as he doesn’t want to get in trouble with Sony over the NDA.

Humdinger

Interesting to hear that DG2 was denied way back in 2019. Personally, I'm not disappointed, and I'm glad they're moving on to something else. I wonder who's in charge of the new IP, without Ross and Garvin there any longer. I guess it'll be a while before we find out.

Exanthus

Banned
On the stream. Someone posted to him the post on resetera about Jason saying the Days Gone director was lying. Watch the stream dude. David reconsider that tweet after read Jason post.

The tweet you post was before he know about Jason calling the director a lier.

edit: I guess Jason blocked David.

He's going to try block ERA next

SilentUser

The “accuracy” of what he said is not so much the issue, but rather how he tried to frame it as “unrest” at PS when in fact, Jeff said that Sony gives their studios lots of creative freedom, Jim Ryan and Herman Hulst are brilliant at their job, Bend employees helping with other projects during the downtime was great as it meant they kept their jobs and didn’t have to downsize when in between projects etc. Jason tried to frame this in a completely different light to try to get clicks and create a scandal, when in actual fact, everything that was going on was completely normal.
Basically this. I honestly couldn't believe the "Sony is evil" part of the story. Why? Well, first they said Sony cancelled DG2 and forced the studio to support ND to.... greenlight a new IP? New IPs are very dangerous and the "Evil Sony" allowed them to just be free of their new fate of being a ND supporter. The timeline and what happened is believable, but if Sony intended to make Bend just a support studio they would NEVER allow a brand new IP. They don't change things like this in a heart beat.

yurinka

I don't think that Jason's sources were not valid or were lying to him.
The issue with his article is that trying to create a narrative about studios of hundreds of people when your sources are realistically limited is a dangerous path.
Given what Jeff stated in the interview it's clear that the sentiments that Jason's sources shared with him are not representative of the whole team , let alone the whole company and its culture.
He praised Hermen Hulst, he stated that the collaboration with ND not only was not considered a risk to lose their identity but was beneficial in a certain period.
So the mistake is trying to push black and white narratives that might make articles more interesting but they do not paint an accurate picture.
In any case the reactions to his article were way overblown.
I think this is the wiser opinion.

After all these articles and so on seems that Jason is a bit 'obsesive'/'fixated' (sorry, I'm not an English native speaker) always trying to find stuff to throw shit to ND and make it sound things more dramatic than they really are. This or casually always the guys he interviews are the typical ones you find in every company that is angry with management or always complaining for nothing and most people in the studio/company doesn't agree him and is ok there, with their pros and cons.

Jeff seems to me a fair, proffesional guy. Same as Mumbauer in the interview he had with Jaffe. Sure, sometimes at job there's some shitty thing, it's impossible to be always happy and to agree in everywhing with everybody. And mostly they have been ok there, but sometimes you have your goals and ideas, and aren't aligned with the company goals and ideas to a point you decide it's better to leave. Something it's normal, ok and there's nothing dramatic on it.

Basically this. I honestly couldn't believe the "Sony is evil" part of the story. Why? Well, first they said Sony cancelled DG2 and forced the studio to support ND to.... greenlight a new IP? New IPs are very dangerous and the "Evil Sony" allowed them to just be free of their new fate of being a ND supporter. The timeline and what happened is believable, but if Sony intended to make Bend just a support studio they would NEVER allow a brand new IP. They don't change things like this in a heart beat.

I only saw a portion of the new video, but for what Jeff said sounds like while they were having preproduction and preparing the DG2 pitch needed to put some people to work somewhere instead of waiting with their arms crossed, and specially when the pitch failed, needed to put people to work on something until they managed to rework the pitch to get it greenlighted, or to pitch them another project.

Maybe Sony told them 'guys you did a fine job with DG and would be nice to make DG2 in the future, but as of now were working on a ton of sequels and the remake, so DG2 will have to wait a bit. Please do a new IP instead'. ND are crunching like motherfuckers with that new Uncharted and the multiplayer game, so please help a bit until you get the new IP pitch approved.

Maybe the couple of top Bend guys were too invested on DG2 or were too stressed afer DG1 and decided to leave and rest, maybe all the rest of Bend was ok doing all that, and maybe they guy who did talk with Jason is an idiot and the only guy who made the jokes of 'ND north' regarding Bend and 'ND south' regarding the Visual Arts team who wanted to make their own movies and games.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Never fucking said I "viewed gaming" that way as if it say that is how I buy all my games or some shit, simply that it must be factored for this topic of why Days Gone 2 likely won't happen.

No clue where you even got that it was something personal on I viewed fucking games. Relax bud.

You can't ignore Days Gone 1's meh sales and meh reviews. That likely has a LOT to do with Days Gone 2 likely not happening. Having lots of options doesn't make a game completely better, you still need structure, smooth gameplay, proper transitions etc. What you see as "complexity" , I'd argue most felt as cumbersome, lost and sloppy. It seems to want to be many things, but struggles in many of those areas.

Spiderman on the other hand has complexity in a area in the movement of Spiderman himself. The ability to do all those areal moves properly while having attacks on top of that is something MOST developers simply can't do well. Its something I'd argue no Spiderman developer prior to Insomniac has truly been able to do as well as them. The movement and fluid combat alone in Spiderman do more then anything Days Gone attempts. NOTHING in Days Gone is this industry first or industry best idea or concept etc. Its not a bad game, but its average or even below that in many, many areas.

So lets relax on this "da gamez salez iz not da importantz", I own both games, both games were day 1s for me. The comment regarding its sales are based on that it CAN'T BE IGNORED on why Days Gone 2 is likely not going to happen. You can like it all day, shit I like many games that fail to get sequels, but I don't pretend the sales NEVER factored into that or something. It has nothing to do with how I buy games bud. I have no clue how you even reached to that wild assumption. Where the fuck did you think my view on Days Gone came from? Clearly I own it, sooooo its not like I'm only liking and buying games that sell well lol
Phew, right, i'm relaxed and I agree, neither games set the world on fire in terms of originality. I'm just pissed we'll never get a sequel to Days gone.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
As I wrote earlier, a DG sequel not getting greenlit in 2019 makes a lot of sense, even for me as a fan of the game.

The initial critical reaction was mixed and sales while decent, I doubt indicated overperformance on expectations. That they spent a further year patching and enhancing the game shows that Sony didn't consider the game to be an embarrassing failure, but having to do that isn't ideal - especially given many of the patches were very large.

If it does better on PC then there's reason to reconsider the decision.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Listening right now

-He isn’t willing to go on record and confirm Days Gone 2 has been cancelled.

-Days Gone 1 sold more copies than any game they have ever made before combined.

-they hired a bunch of millennials and they complain about everything :messenger_grinning_squinting:

-Sony hires third parties to predict the metacritic score which goes into determining the marketing budget of the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom