• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone is on the cover of Game Informer and new footage

VulcanRaven

2018_2D00_06_2D00_cover_2D00_spread_2D00_800h.jpg

Does the world really need another zombie game? That’s one of the many questions we had before heading to Sony Bend Studio’s offices in Oregon to check out Days Gone. After spending a couple of days playing the game and gaining a deeper understanding of what the studio is trying to accomplish, we came back with an enthusiastic yes. You face a massive undead threat, but they’re just part of the dangerous open-world ecology. Virtually everything in this dark vision of the Pacific Northwest wants to separate you from your life. Fortunately, you have the tools you need to survive – including your fully upgradable motorcycle.

In the June issue of Game Informer, we packed 14 pages with exclusive details and developer insight from that trip, including an extensive look at how Sony Bend is working to breathe life not only into the zombie apocalypse, but open-world games in general.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...e-informer-june-cover-revealed-days-gone.aspx

This game looks really good. It looks visually very similar to The Last of Us but is open-word. I'm not tired of zombie games yet so can't wait to play this. One thing I don't like are those numbers that appear when he shoots the zombies but I'm sure it won't be like that all the time.

Last edited:

EGOMON

The environment are looking good, those xp counts need to go though, can't wait for more info

Geki-D

Banned
Yeah that XP showing up is really unsightly, pretty much obscures the aiming in the footage.

Looks decent. I have to say, I wouldn't MP being in a game like this, and I think Sony really could do with some co-op stuff. As much as their SP stuff is amazing right now, they're really lacking good, exclusive games that have MP.

Yeah that XP showing up is really unsightly, pretty much obscures the aiming in the footage.

Looks decent. I have to say, I wouldn't MP being in a game like this, and I think Sony really could do with some co-op stuff. As much as their SP stuff is amazing right now, they're really lacking good, exclusive games that have MP.
Competing with Fortnite right now would be a death sentence.

Fbh

Looking forward to reading some details about this.
Still think it's kinda weird that Sony would invest in 2 post apocalyptic zombie games to release somewhat close to each other (I'm assuming TLOU2 is late 2019 or early 2020), but what we have seen of this game so far does look interesting

Yeah, I'll cross my fingers that they have the option to turns those off. I'm not sure how common it is with XP indicators but plenty of action RPG's have the option to turn off damage indicators.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

I would say, let multiplatform games handle the MP games. I for one very glad sony mostly focusing on SP games.

I am really looking forward to this myself both because I love zombie games and I live in Oregon and want more games set in the PNW. I hope the game is actually good because some of that alpha footage in the new "trailer" looks worse than the stuff we have seen so far.

nowhat

Still think it's kinda weird that Sony would invest in 2 post apocalyptic zombie games to release somewhat close to each other (I'm assuming TLOU2 is late 2019 or early 2020), but what we have seen of this game so far does look interesting
Ah, but TLoU doesn't have zombies. They're "infected". That's like totally, completely different.

Pejo

Glad the game's not cancelled. I hope it's found its niche and can be a good game. This pretty much guarantees we'll see more at E3 this year.

one of my most anticipated games. Oregonian here too. I game on Xbone more, but I love that Sony is knocking it out of the park with SP games. (MS needs to pull the lead out and get a couple top flight SP game out too...State of Decay looks great and totally different so I'm all in on that too). Not even close to sick of zombie games (obviously), as long as they're well done. Bring on the Zompacalypse! :)

nowhat

I know we still don't have a release date, but with the amount of content they had shown us to this point a cancellation was very unlikely to happen.
I can't be arsed to comb my browser history for a reference, so you'll have to take my word for it, but the rumour is that the game could be ready for a fall/holiday season release, but was postponed not to compete with some of the other big titles releasing then.

Last edited:
I can't be arsed to comb my browser history for a reference, so you'll have to take my word for it, but the rumour is that the game could be ready for a fall/holiday season release, but was postponed not to compete with some of the other big titles releasing then.
This was my thought process exactly.

I think November - January is a safe bet on it releasing.

Pejo

I know we still don't have a release date, but with the amount of content they had shown us to this point a cancellation was very unlikely to happen.
True, I just remember the reception being pretty lukewarm every time they showed it. I don't have any idea how gauging interest mid-development cycle works in relation to a game getting completed though.

I really do want the best for Bend but there's no escaping TLOU's shadow with this game.

RE the footage, still looks like there's work to do populating environments with additional assets but the UI is fine, rather straightforward. The XP counters absolutely have to go. I sense that they are more sensible if you're using a semi-automatic weapon, but full blaze auto is going to murder corneas.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I was very skeptical about the new GOW I end up really loving the game and I even platinum it. So I'm gonna wait and see approach before judging the entire game base on my first impression. I just hope to god they take note from GOW instead of HZD for how to handle exploration.

Why can't it just be about survivors of a post plague world, not a zombie plague, but a disease that has killed off most of the population and society has collapsed with it? That would differentiate it enough from The Last of Us and the zombie genre in general is getting pretty played out nowadays.

God Enel

Dunno why but somehow I'm hyped for this game since the beginning where a lot of people said ugh. I love the world and the zombie concept. The swarm is amazing. Hopefully they will pressure the player enough so that you really feel chasedand that there is no way out but just to run.

-MD-

I think we need to show the world more of what the game really is

No shit?

Why can't it just be about survivors of a post plague world, not a zombie plague, but a disease that has killed off most of the population and society has collapsed with it? That would differentiate it enough from The Last of Us and the zombie genre in general is getting pretty played out nowadays.

Is that not what TLOU already is? A fungus spread, killed most of the population, society collapsed in the process and you play as a survivor in the aftermath.

Last edited:

Mexen

Kudos to the team for being enthusiastic but I'm skipping this on launch. I just can't get into it.

nowhat

I wonder if it will ever get any sort of attention after RDR2.
Yeah, I don't see why anyone would release anything after RDR 2. The whole gaming industry might as well call it quits after that is released.

(I get people are hyped for RDR 2, but seriously. This is releasing in 2019 and by the looks of it will be a very different game from RDR 2. I recon it'll be great or suck just by its own merits.)

Last edited:

Danjin44

To me it all comes down to how the open world part is done. I want to find things on my own, I DONT want my map telling me where I can find resources or where are the safe-houses. This what I fucking hated about HZD. It felt like the game is made for people who hate exploring so the game done all the exploring for them. I don't want to see that in Days Gone. Also want exploring in Days Gone to be super risky and dangerous, as long as they can do that I don't care it's "another zombie game" I will gladly play it.

DonF

I have a bad feeling about this game. It feels "floaty". I hope I'm wrong. Cause the premise of a big open world zombie game its awesome.

thelastword

Banned
The environment are looking good, those xp counts need to go though, can't wait for more info
Like the recent GOW, I'm sure they'll give an option to turn some off the screen indicators.

Glad the game's not cancelled. I hope it's found its niche and can be a good game. This pretty much guarantees we'll see more at E3 this year.
I'm not sure why you assume this game could or would be cancelled. Days gone was never in fear of being cancelled, it was only delayed to polish it and perhaps to give it a release date in a less packed timeframe. March-April 2019 seems to be a good candidate for the title. You should also remember that Sony Bend is not as big a studio as ND, GG or Santa Monica and here they are doing an openworld game, they need the time.

The thing is, Days gone is not really a Zombie game per-se, the ravenous mob you saw in the trailer are only one enemy type called freakers. They're not dead, they're just infected. So when the devs said they need to show what this game is about, I think they should.......Though I would not want them to reveal too much just to appease persons who want to pile it up as just another Zombie game. I think anybody who saw the alternative walkthrough of the E3 demo can attest that this is not just a Zombie game ......

Kudos to the team for being enthusiastic but I'm skipping this on launch. I just can't get into it.
You sound like you're already playing a demo or release copy at the minute.....

Anyway, interview from E3 2016

Alternative gameplay E3 2017

Last edited:

Droxcy

I was super stoked on this game, but wow this preview has me very underwhelmed and uninterested.

VulcanRaven

The first E3 gameplay was awesome. I have been waiting for a game with big zombie hordes like this so I'm definitely buying this at some point. I don't like the HUD in that new video. Like that text in the upper-left corner.

I hope Bend Studio makes a new Syphon Filter after this.

Last edited:
Is that not what TLOU already is? A fungus spread, killed most of the population, society collapsed in the process and you play as a survivor in the aftermath.

Not at all, TLOU was an alternate take on zombies, whether it's zombies or "infected" it's all basically the same genre, what I'm talking is a virus like the flu or ebola that kills people and your enemies are just other normal human survivors.

Any chance this and TLOU2 dropping this year?

I was under the impression TLOU2 was definitely a 2018 title, has that changed?

Basically none. This had already been confirmed*) to be a 2019, and I'd be really surprised to see TLoU 2 this year.

*) https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/9/17100486/days-gone-ps4-release-date-delay-2019

Thx for the info..me sand Panda indeed..I'm just a sucka for this type of genre that does come out once in the blue moon, it just takes yrs to make it happen.

I was under the impression TLOU2 was definitely a 2018 title, has that changed?

Fingers crossed, but it's not looking too good for this years release, E3 will shed some light, hopefully.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Spiderman last month and Days Gone this month? Downright gushing accounts of both? Is Game Informer part of Sony's marketing arm now?

Both games look very generic and uninspired imo, but maybe they'll turn out okay. At least God of War seems good. Looking forward to picking that up later this year after I'm done with Detroit and a few other things.

Aces&Eights

I don't care what game you are making, releasing post holiday after Red Dead is just insane. Take the financial hit and wait til the following summer.

thelawof4

They really focus on features and that they definitely are not doing the zombie game everybody thinks they are doing.

At least it looks kind of nice.

I'm sure it will be a good game but I can see it including a lot of "walk to object" and cutscenes which interrupt gameplay. Neither of which am I a fan.

LordPezix

one of my most anticipated games. Oregonian here too. I game on Xbone more, but I love that Sony is knocking it out of the park with SP games. (MS needs to pull the lead out and get a couple top flight SP game out too...State of Decay looks great and totally different so I'm all in on that too). Not even close to sick of zombie games (obviously), as long as they're well done. Bring on the Zompacalypse! :)

I'd feel safe in Portland during a zombie apocalypse, vegan zombies don't scare me ;)

Top Bottom