• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone is on the cover of Game Informer and new footage

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Still looking for something that makes this a must buy...

I feel like I would enjoy state of decay 2 more because of the co-op and permadeath giving you some real risk to the gameplay.

This looks like it'll have a decent story, some new zombie mechanics using the environment...but when I ask myself...is this gonna be fun for me? I haven't gotten there yet. Still might pick it up. I'm sure it's going to get hyped up like crazy before launch...and i'll just impulse buy it and cry about it later.

GenericUser

Game could be hit or miss I think. Even though I've seen plenty of zombie games, I think this one still has a chance to surprise. If they manage to make the game challenging and interesting. If it'll be another AAA borefest where you basically can't loose, they will have a hard time selling that game I guess.

-MD-

It takes a lot to get me excited about an open world game these days and while I'm not excited I do like a lot of what I'm hearing about the game so I'm hoping this one turns out well.

Gameplay looks kinda rough:rolleyes:

The game is a year away from release.

Aaron Olive

1. The game may be a year away but those fade to black cutscenes have to go, it breaks immersion terribly.
2. I don't need to see 20xp,20xp,20xp this isn't borderlands.
3. poor writing already, The main character stops running for a cutscene to let his parter arm get burned off?
giphy.gif

blackjon24

If this game comes out in a year, why are they showing it now like this to G.I.?

raise interest I'm sure. I don't think they got the initial impressions they wanted. Funny how we've seen more of this than spiderman and spiderman comes out way sooner lol

nowhat

If this game comes out in a year, why are they showing it now like this to G.I.?
If the internet rumour mill is to be trusted, this was originally supposed to come out around September/October, and there's nothing technically preventing the game from being released then, the delay is purely out of not wanting to compete with some other big titles releasing around that time. I'm guessing this was "booked" well in advance (I don't think GI does features like this out charity), before the game was delayed.

mckmas8808

Banned
raise interest I'm sure. I don't think they got the initial impressions they wanted. Funny how we've seen more of this than spiderman and spiderman comes out way sooner lol

Great point! I love what this game is trying to do, but I think the marketing of the game has been terrible! It's like Sony doesn't know what to do with it. And I'm starting to wonder if it's due to the quality of the game, they are sorta panicking.

Calibos

What happened to the "swarming zombies" gameplay? The game "looks" nice enough, but is feeling more and more like a mashup of different recent games. It feels like Mad Max and Last of Us with Uncharted 1 shooting mechanics and a shallow auto melee system and the two main characters feel stiff and sorta plain.

I really hope the swarming zombies are still in it...that was the coolest part of the original reveals. Without that, it feels sorta generic in almost every way. Still an Alpha build though so who knows what can happen between now and release.

Aces&Eights

One thing that annoyed me was how much the protagonist talks to himself. (100 yards from motorcycle) "Gotta get to my bike!" (88 yards from motorcycle) " My bike should be around here somewhere!" (85 yards from motorcycle) "Dammit! Where is my bike!?!"

The whole time there is an obnoxious map indicator telling you exactly where the bike is at and how much farther you have to go. I hate that shit. Even if you can turn the indicator off, the voice acting does nothing to help you find your bike. Just talk for talks sake.

"I really hope the swarming zombies are still in it...that was the coolest part of the original reveals. Without that, it feels sorta generic in almost every way. Still an Alpha build though so who knows what can happen between now and release. "

To be fair this was just the first hour of gameplay. They are probably going to have some build up a la seeing them cross the bridge from afar, etc.

Last edited:
I'd feel safe in Portland during a zombie apocalypse, vegan zombies don't scare me ;)

A Vegan Zombie movie could be hilarious if done right. :)

It could be a very introspective and personal drama about the moral challenges that the Vegan Zombie faces on a daily basis.

xviper

every developer will say whatever crap so they can sell their game

i have seen multiple videos of this game, and myself and many others find nothing special about it, the only good Zombie games we got this generation were Dead Rising 3, sunset overdrive and Dying light, i wouldn't count RE7 as zombies game and if you played it you will know why

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

I really hope the swarming zombies are still in it...that was the coolest part of the original reveals. Without that, it feels sorta generic in almost every way. Still an Alpha build though so who knows what can happen between now and release.

They said they are.

There are roaming swarms that dynamically migrate across the map.

The one in the original reveal was a small swarm with only 300 or so in. They can range up to 1000 or so on screen.

Watch the video on GI its all covered.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
every developer will say whatever crap so they can sell their game

i have seen multiple videos of this game, and myself and many others find nothing special about it, the only good Zombie games we got this generation were Dead Rising 3, sunset overdrive and Dying light, i wouldn't count RE7 as zombies game and if you played it you will know why
Holy fuck!!! Really!!? You consider that game best zombie game this gen!!! I highly disagree with that. I personally found both Dead Rising 3&4 absolute trash. They took most what made original Dead Rising unique and special and turned in to soulless cash grab. Even if Days Gone turn in to another Ubisoft like game, it still would be faaaaaar better than what ever fuck Dead Rising 3&4 was.

VulcanRaven

I watched some of that 1 hour gameplay and it looks great. Few things I don't like are those nests and zombies crawling on the ground look kind of funny. I hope the gameplay and cutscenes will be more seamless in the final game.

Last edited:

Fbh

Saw someone post a list of details from the article on social media and...I don't know, pretty much 90% sounded generic as hell. It was stuff like "You can upgrade stuff", "you can take down enemy camps", "there's towers to climb", "there's that typical thing where you sense your surroundings and it highlights items".

Not saying it makes the game bad but it just didn't give me many reasons to be excited about it

Toe-Knee

Saw someone post a list of details from the article on social media and...I don't know, pretty much 90% sounded generic as hell. It was stuff like "You can upgrade stuff", "you can take down enemy camps", "there's towers to climb", "there's that typical thing where you sense your surroundings and it highlights items".

Not saying it makes the game bad but it just didn't give me many reasons to be excited about it

There's the fact that if you take out a camp it creates a gap in the ecosystem so then the infected have no opposition in that area so they spread out further causing a bigger threat.

xviper

Holy fuck!!! Really!!? You consider that game best zombie game this gen!!! I highly disagree with that. I personally found both Dead Rising 3&4 absolute trash. They took most what made original Dead Rising unique and special and turned in to soulless cash grab. Even if Days Gone turn in to another Ubisoft like game, it still would be faaaaaar better than what ever fuck Dead Rising 3&4 was.
i think you should read every post carefully before replying, i never said DR3 is the best zombie game this gen, i said that it is one of the good zombie games we got this generation, my favorite zombie game this generation is Dying light

i loved DR1 (first game i got with X360), hated 2, liked 3, didn't play 4, i think 3 was great but i liked the mall more than the city and DR1 was a new experience like never before

even if Days gone turned out to be shit (which is most likely) it will still score decently because you know how much reviewers like Sony games nowadays

Danjin44

i think you should read every post carefully before replying, i never said DR3 is the best zombie game this gen, i said that it is one of the good zombie games we got this generation, my favorite zombie game this generation is Dying light

i loved DR1 (first game i got with X360), hated 2, liked 3, didn't play 4, i think 3 was great but i liked the mall more than the city and DR1 was a new experience like never before

even if Days gone turned out to be shit (which is most likely) it will still score decently because you know how much reviewers like Sony games nowadays
If you don't trust review scores then maybe just don't like at the score. Read or watch reviews and see what or didn't like about the game. maybe the positives parts might not be positive for you or better yet play the game judge it yourself. Far Cry 5 got good score when it was released but after I watched and read reviews and it was clear the games was not something I would enjoy doesn't matter how many good score would get.

Last edited:

Kagero

Underwhelming. Bad writing and bad pacing. At this point I would prefer a walking sim with engaging writing and story. Even the combat looks uninspiring. I hope they turn this around. Bend needs help with this one.

Bryank75

Banned
I'll support it even if it doesn't really appeal to me. I think the main character is a bit bland... I don't really like him. Also with so many zombies (I'm not calling them freakers) the most entertaining thing would have been lots of interactive stuff to kill hundreds at a time in awesome ways. Like turning on a jet engine to suck them in and shred them. Using a rigged quarry to bury them or a garbage compactor. The gameplay just looks uninspired so far.

Toe-Knee

I'll support it even if it doesn't really appeal to me. I think the main character is a bit bland... I don't really like him. Also with so many zombies (I'm not calling them freakers) the most entertaining thing would have been lots of interactive stuff to kill hundreds at a time in awesome ways. Like turning on a jet engine to suck them in and shred them. Using a rigged quarry to bury them or a garbage compactor. The gameplay just looks uninspired so far.

What you are saying you want was shown in the first few gameplay videos. Lots of options for environmental takedowns.

Manus

Oh look another AAA Sony open world game. I would of never dreamed of me begging for more linear FPS games, but I'd rather take that than another open world game at this point.

Danjin44

Oh look another AAA Sony open world game. I would of never dreamed of me begging for more linear FPS games, but I'd rather take that than another open world game at this point.
I actually would like to see more developers makes games that are linear but still has nice open area to explore. Similar to GOW, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and hoping it would be same with Kingdom Hearts 3 and Dragon Quest XI.

Toe-Knee

Was that the first E3 one? Or was there something since like what you're saying?

I think it was the extended version of the first one with developer commentary. Not the one from during the show.

It had them making traps etc using the environment and equipment scattered around

Dunki

Great point! I love what this game is trying to do, but I think the marketing of the game has been terrible! It's like Sony doesn't know what to do with it. And I'm starting to wonder if it's due to the quality of the game, they are sorta panicking.
I rather think their E3 coverage is already so packed that this is their Pre E3 Dump. This games does not need much more. And showing the first hour and another 40 minutes even though its Alpha Footage should be more than enough for a 30+ hour game.

It builds on all survival games which were popular when they started the development so you also can see quite a bit fatigue from players as well. In the end we will see how much this game can gain traction with streamers and youtubers to push their sales.

Bend Studio went from making Vita games to... this. That's a pretty big leap in production quality!

For having only one writer the lore and script is pretty serviceable. The fidelity and game design is that of a AAA game which is impressive for Alpha footage.

Iron out the framerates, animations, and enemy AI and I can see myself having a lot of fun with this.

Mexen

Like the recent GOW, I'm sure they'll give an option to turn some off the screen indicators.

I'm not sure why you assume this game could or would be cancelled. Days gone was never in fear of being cancelled, it was only delayed to polish it and perhaps to give it a release date in a less packed timeframe. March-April 2019 seems to be a good candidate for the title. You should also remember that Sony Bend is not as big a studio as ND, GG or Santa Monica and here they are doing an openworld game, they need the time.

The thing is, Days gone is not really a Zombie game per-se, the ravenous mob you saw in the trailer are only one enemy type called freakers. They're not dead, they're just infected. So when the devs said they need to show what this game is about, I think they should.......Though I would not want them to reveal too much just to appease persons who want to pile it up as just another Zombie game. I think anybody who saw the alternative walkthrough of the E3 demo can attest that this is not just a Zombie game ......

You sound like you're already playing a demo or release copy at the minute.....

Anyway, interview from E3 2016

Alternative gameplay E3 2017

Footage showcased so far is enough for me to make a decision. It's not rocket science. If I like what I see, I am more likely to want to play something and shockingly, even enjoy it. The setting of this game, the mechanics shown...nothing wows me. When I say I can't get into it, I do not mean I am playing the game and not enjoying it, I mean what we know so far has not hooked me (that's another metaphor, I do not have a hook in my flesh).

In other words, I have little interest in playing this game but I commend the team for their efforts.

Halo0629

Seeing the gameplay it looks like a well polished state of decay. Day one for me of course since I love state of decay even with all the jank, glitches, and bugs.

DonF

I just hope that they are still fine tuning this game... cause the more they show, the more skeptical I am about it.

bitbydeath

I just hope that they are still fine tuning this game... cause the more they show, the more skeptical I am about it.

Agreed, they do have a year left so here's hoping.
The combat at the end of that video left a lot to be desired and the world itself just looks big and empty which I guess works for Elder Scrolls but they need to make it fun to traverse.

nowhat

Vs the horde.

In the eternal "slow vs. fast zombies" debate I'm certainly in the first camp, and this game hasn't really interested me that much thus far. But I have to say, that does actually look like (somewhat chaotic) fun.

Wonkytonk

I was really looking forward to this and disappointed to hear of the delay. However, since watching the Game Informer coverage, It’s kind of put me off.. I actually got quite bored.

Hopefully they can turn things around, unlikely at this late stage though.

Drac84

The previous two GI videos didn’t do much for me, but that horde video looked like a lot of fun. I feel like this game will be at its best when there are panicked encounters with waves of zombies. I also hope there’s some kind of leaderboard or way you can compare nest clearing times with friends.

VulcanRaven

Revealing The Ambitious Development Of Days Gone:

Great video about the development of the game. Can't wait to see more gameplay at E3.

Last edited:
The problem with Days Gone is that the devs tried to make a more believable world. That took away the variety you'd get from zombies with different abilities to many different types of guns. That would have been ok if they had replaced what was tanken away with other fun more sim like mechanics but that doesn't appear to be the case. Babysitting a motorcycle and getting randomly ambushed doesn't come close to making up for what was lost.

I thought the dynamic ecosystem would add that need extra sim element, but I haven't seen how any of it really matters. You take out a human outpost so more freakers take their place. It seems the danger in the area remains about the same. All you did is swap one enemy mob for another.

Top Bottom