• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone - Non-spoilery gameplay - Lookin Good

Fbh

Looks OK but a bit "by the numbers" IMO. Will probably still be worth it after a price drop and if recent Sony exclusives are anything to go by this will be like $25 by the end of the year.

Are the big hordes still in this? Most videos I've watched had some mid sized groups of zombies but I haven't seen anything as big as what was shown in the reveal gameplay

Already out?

Comes out on the 26th

DanielsM

Banned
Are the big hordes still in this? Most videos I've watched had some mid sized groups of zombies but I haven't seen anything as big as what was shown in the reveal gameplay

Yup, 40 horde groups that range up to 500 in the group. I believe defeating the horde is only required in 3 missions or to complete the game which I believe is separate from the the 40 so possibly 43 larger groups. The developer has said they would suggest you avoid the hordes until your character is ready. The hordes migrate to an extent as well, so even if you are trying to avoid them doesn't mean you will.

You probably won't do well against the Horde in the first few hours from what is being told.

I want it to be my cup of Coffee Coolatta..but I just don't see it, lots of ish missing and feels very generic, typical copy paste from other Sony exclusives, been there done that type of thing.

If reviews high, just maybe I'll click gameplay video to watch.

What do you want UFOs? I mean when someone says its feels generic without saying what its missing or what's generic than its like - its not your cup of tea. For the people this is built for, nothing generic about it at all - they're just not trying to make a game for you.

It has the following:

- open-world
- looks like a bunch of its based on a solid story and cinematics
- survival based with zombies
- motorcycle traveling
- crappy third person shooting - yes, generally i would say shooting sucks in most 3rd person games
- craft systems
- ability to engage and use multiple fractions against one another including zombies against humans
- a great looking hud (or lack of) and great menu system
- gritty bro type game

Looks (at this point) like a solid game, I'm just not seeing anything wrong - you're just not its target audience. Just like I'm not the target audience for Fortnite.

What did they do, they combined a few different genres together.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I'm not interested in the game at all because I don't care for zombies. That cow has been milked to exhaustion!
But I follow the game news to see how much Bend has evolved.
Hopefully their next game is full Syphon Filter reboot for PS5 with these production values. :D

tenor.gif

Its like a little kid who has learnt a new word and keeps repeating the same. If you see his recent posts (mostly related to this game or any Sony related thread), he keeps using the word "astroturf" for no reason. For him anyone who wants to discuss or share info on games they are interested in are astroturfers.

Edit: I completely missed that this was already brought up by someone else in this thread. My apologies.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned

Holy shit the graphics and photo mode in #DaysGone I wish I could share more of my photos with you! That photo mode has the most detailed setting I've seen in a videogame

It is not! A well crafted singleplayer experience, which will fit to SONY standard as you know it!

A little peak at a reviewers (game mag apparently has a copy) take, looks like its going to be a solid game at least, he notes the graphics look very good and well crafted.

Sticking to my guess mc high 70s to mid 80s, 4-7m units in its first year if it scores in that range, if it goes to upper 80s mc.... 7m+ mega-hit.

Last edited:

Tehvenom

Why are they always filling their screens with numbers. 50xp for each kill yeah.

Though the game does look nice.
Exactly, it throws off the immersion and makes it seem very arcade style with the numbers popping up. It looks amazing but another thing that I'm noticing is the sound of guns that sound like pellet/airsoft whizzing by.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
85+ open critic/meta critic score and will sell an easy 10M+ in less than the two years it took Horizon to reach that. 12 more days baby!!!!!

Gamernyc78

Banned
My wallet is ready. Up to the last boss in Sekiro as I was on vacation when it released and started a week late but perfect timing!!! I can beat him within the next few days and be ready for the horde! In "Days Gone".

So many damn games!!!!

Frame drops all over in that vid. Was that pro footage?

I am still disappointed they didn't do more to differentiate the gameplay from TLOU. Yea its open world and there's a bike and hordes instead of onesie twosie zombies but I'm not sure I'd call those strengths the way it's being used here.

I wanted them to lean deep in survival aspects, struggling with limited resources, laying traps, crafting unique items from all sorts of objects and fortifying bases but these things seem to be superficially implemented and mostly lifted straight out of TLOU down to having almost the exact same weapon set somehow....

Instead its only unique element seems to be the horde and it seems they handle that by giving players a machine gun with hundreds of bullets and copious amounts of exploding barrels.

DanielsM

Banned
Frame drops all over in that vid. Was that pro footage?

I am still disappointed they didn't do more to differentiate the gameplay from TLOU. Yea its open world and there's a bike and hordes instead of onesie twosie zombies but I'm not sure I'd call those strengths the way it's being used here.

I wanted them to lean deep in survival aspects, struggling with limited resources, laying traps, crafting unique items from all sorts of objects and fortifying bases but these things seem to be superficially implemented and mostly lifted straight out of TLOU down to having almost the exact same weapon set somehow....

Instead its only unique element seems to be the horde and it seems they handle that by giving players a machine gun with hundreds of bullets and copious amounts of exploding barrels.

The things you pointed out as not really being in the game, are in the game.... generally speaking.... probably not the base building.

check - limited resources... this has been stressed by the developer over and over
check - laying traps... I believe this would be gas tanks and leading them to other areas as well... broken bridges, etc.
check/uncheck - crafting unique items... yes and no.... probably not a billion guns like Borderlands as you have limited resources but you craft medicine, weapons, melee weapons like the saw bat thing, upgrades, and other items
uncheck/unknown - probably not a base building game... if you are looking for a base building game, I doubt this is for you.

Your comment about hundreds of bullets and exploding barrels for the hordes, well, you're going to have to watch your ammo because of the limited supplies, on one hand you are asking for traps which are what gas tanks and barrels are, than on the other hand you don't like the tanks/barrels. Full-day/nite cycle with weather patterns. I guess as far as game play I'm not really seeing the TLOU similarities.... TLOU is more or less a linear game loop, although there are a few sections where they try and open up things into bigger sections.

And the gameplay loop appears to be very strong, with limited resources lending a real sense of tension to each and every encounter – whether they’re with the living or the living dead.
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/03/hands_on_can_days_gone_keep_sonys_first-party_streak_alive

Thankfully for you, however, the world is expansive in more ways than one. Days Gone is being designed to allow the player to handle Freakers in a number of creative ways. When the crowds get really big, you can lead them into traps within the world, such as a bundle of limber that can be released to crush a big horde, a sawmill, or even a broken bridge.
https://www.androidcentral.com/days-gone

I compare it to survival RDR-lite with an upgradeable chopper and zombies.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
That bridge scene :messenger_face_screaming:
Environment is looking great too, lots of variety which is something horizon was lacking IMO

astrod01.jpg

But seriously, the game is looking good. I'm not sure why people are so sceptical about this games except for people thinking (hoping?) one of these Sony exclusives will strike out.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

I don't like how the enemies just stand around while you're shiving someone, but it looks better than before. I do like that the human enemies are not bullet sponges; a couple shots and they go down, which is a nice departure from games like Uncharted where you can shoot a fool in the chest twice and he's still brawling with you.

EDIT: Also, I'd love it if Stone and Parker made a sequel to Russel Crowe's "Foitin' Round the Weeerld" starring The Bike in this game instead of Tugga'.

Last edited:

Neolombax

Graphics look okay to me, nothing amazing. Horizon had better animations I think. I'm just not getting the hype with this game. Every video I see looks average at best. I'm super interested to read the reviews and impressions though.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Graphics look okay to me, nothing amazing. Horizon had better animations I think. I'm just not getting the hype with this game. Every video I see looks average at best. I'm super interested to read the reviews and impressions though.

Compared to what? Other Sony exclusives and top tier ips? Because if so I can see the angle but compared to other companies exclusives and most games, this looks better to me. Sony sets really high bars sometimes with their first parties that its hard to appreciate the games tht are still graphically good looking but more grounded.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
We know one thing, it'll be heads and shoulders better than SOT, State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3 and most of those other games with shit gameplay and lackluster graphics lol 😂😂

Fight tht fight my dude your on the front lines taking numerous casualties.

I always compare those type of guys to Teruo Nakamura, either they don't understand or comprehend the war is over. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Private Teruo Nakamura (中村 輝夫 Nakamura Teruo, 8 October 1919 – 15 June 1979) was a Taiwan-born soldier of the Imperial Japanese Army from the indigenous Amis tribe, who fought for Japan in World War II and did not surrender until 1974. He is the last known Japanese hold-out to surrender after the end of hostilities in 1945.
His name in his native Amis language was Attun Palalin.[1][2] He was also known as Suniuo.[3][4] The Taiwanese press referred to him as Lee Kuang-hui (李光輝), a name of which he learned only after his repatriation in 1975.[3]

The gunplay looks and sounds particularly bad.

I actually feel like all 3rd person shooters gun play is bad, that's why God invented 1st person. (I also think 1st person stealth is bad, generally speaking) Gears of War is about as good as it gets in the shooting department but that's mostly a slow, cover & pop game play. (that is of no use here) I saw some video of the World War Z game, it actually looks decent but its in 3rd person... I'm like why? Completely ruins the game by being in 3rd person i.e. bad shooting experience in which that is really the whole game loop.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Can somebody post the webm that shows him being unable to kill zombies at point blank with a shotgun shot to the face. Multiple times before getting killed from 9 feet away by zombies flailing the air?

DanielsM

Banned
I want it to be my cup of Coffee Coolatta..but I just don't see it, lots of ish missing and feels very generic, typical copy paste from other Sony exclusives, been there done that type of thing.

If reviews high, just maybe I'll click gameplay video to watch.

Its not your cup of tea... you want it to be your cup of tea doesn't make it so. Nothing wrong with you not liking it. I'm not sure about the "been there done that" comment, that's the tell nothing like this really in their lineup, not really.

The developers are not into you, meaning building a game for you - that's okay, not every game is for every person.

Can somebody post the webm that shows him being unable to kill zombies at point blank with a shotgun shot to the face. Multiple times before getting killed from 9 feet away by zombies flailing the air?

This one?

or this one?

People sure are trying hard.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Its not your cup of tea... you want it to be your cup of tea doesn't make it so. Nothing wrong with you not liking it. I'm not sure about the "been there done that" comment, that's the tell nothing like this really in their lineup, not really.

The developers are not into you, meaning building a game for you - that's okay, not every game is for every person.

This one?

or this one?

People sure are trying hard.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

They are trying ridiculously hard, it's sad lol. Nice gifs BTW, it's looking good. As if a minor glitch in a video of a pre release version makes or breaks a game lol. Now if we were promised a certain destruction and what we got in the final build was nothing similar to what we saw, now thts!!!! not a glitch but a major issue and lie.

DanielsM

Banned
They are trying ridiculously hard, it's sad lol. Nice gifs BTW, it's looking good. As if a minor glitch in a video of a pre release version makes or breaks a game lol. Now if we were promised a certain destruction and what we got in the final build was nothing similar to what we saw, now thts!!!! not a glitch but a major issue and lie.

Everyone needs to wait for the reviews, but when I hear its "generic" than my eyes start to roll. :pie_eyeroll: Its the new term for a non-opinion opinion. And than you get the guys that think if it doesn't sell 10 million units somehow its a failure or something.... and that justifies something. LOL The team on this is probably 30th the size of what worked on something like Red Dead Redemption 2 for instance or even a 4th of what worked on Horizon. I think its quite amazing what they have done with such a small team.

It just looks like a solid concept (what the hell is wrong with a biker mowing down hordes of zombies :messenger_sun: ) and solid output to me from a small studio.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Everyone needs to wait for the reviews, but when I hear its "generic" than my eyes start to roll. :pie_eyeroll: Its the new term for a non-opinion opinion. And than you get the guys that think if it doesn't sell 10 million units somehow its a failure or something.... and that justifies something. LOL The team on this is probably 30th the size of what worked on something like Red Dead Redemption 2 for instance or even a 4th of what worked on Horizon. I think its quite amazing what they have done with such a small team.

It just looks like a solid concept (what the hell is wrong with a biker mowing down hordes of zombies :messenger_sun: ) and solid output to me from a small studio.

Arm chair analysts are a dime a dozen on these forums, so are transparent haters. Thts why it's good when the professional outlets talk (even some of those have some fanboys but are more controlled lol).

3 million plus and I'm sure it'll be a success. Of course we don't know the budget (which I would love to know just bcus) so tht isn't a fact. I'm sure this game was a mid range budgeted game.

DanielsM

Banned
Arm chair analysts are a dime a dozen on these forums, so are transparent haters. Thts why it's good when the professional outlets talk (even some of those have some fanboys but are more controlled lol).

3 million plus and I'm sure it'll be a success. Of course we don't know the budget (which I would love to know just bcus) so tht isn't a fact. I'm sure this game was a mid range budgeted game.

Mid range budget but not for an open world.

Yeah, they started to go over the 100+ employee during the end of development in 2018, most of it they were small sub 80 or even less - heck, 100 is small for an AAA title especially for open world. They appear to be up to 130+ but it sounds like they are not downsizing and have already been greenlit. Horizon was done with 200-250 Guerrilla Game employees and up to 200 contractors in China at any given moment. Take Two games are in the 1-3 thousand range to build those games - meaning everyone from developers, programmers, actors, etc.

Here's an article about GG outsourcing development to a group in China for Horizon. Horizon actually probably had a lower end budget for an open world title.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Mid range budget but not for an open world.

Yeah, they started to go over the 100+ employee during the end of development in 2018, most of it they were small sub 80 or even less - heck, 100 is small for an AAA title especially for open world. They appear to be up to 130+ but it sounds like they are not downsizing and have already been greenlit. Horizon was done with 200-250 Guerrilla Game employees and up to 200 contractors in China at any given moment. Take Two games are in the 1-3 thousand range to build those games - meaning everyone from developers, programmers, actors, etc.

Here's an article about GG outsourcing development to a group in China for Horizon.

Thanks for the info.

bitbydeath

Holy crap this look great man, shit look really lifelike almost like a real life person where are you getting this screenshot from

It’s from photo mode of the final build. The build of the video I posted is over a year old which is why they’re quite different in quality.

When the embargo lifts we should see a lot more of what it looks like today.

Here’s another shot from it.

47389969881_02c6028b16_h.jpg

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Interview with Deacon actor. Summary, very adult game, lots of iterations of the character and game...Sony gave them plenty of time. Game continued to expand scope during development instead of shrinking. Seems like everyone else on the dev team... seems to be the game they wanted to make.

bitbydeath

Interview with Deacon actor. Summary, very adult game, lots of iterations of the character and game...Sony gave them plenty of time. Game continued to expand scope during development instead of shrinking. Seems like everyone else on the dev team... seems to be the game they wanted to make.

Great insight there as to how Sony makes there games the quality that they are.

Top Bottom