• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone [OT] Days Gone B Gud

HotPocket69

Banned
Did that job for Skizzo and fought the first boss. Got the trophy for finishing it off with the knife. Cleared out all Nero points (except for one that needs the nitrous upgrade) and ambush camps in the Lost Lake region. Can now craft INCENDIARY BOLTS 🔥

Once you get that Deadshot skill mixed with the reduced Focus cooldown 😮

Good scene

desertdroog

Regarding fighting the horde, is there any strategy to setting up traps and killzones to fight them? I ask because the only videos I have found online show a Deacon running in circles or through the localized area, while firing back or tossing explosives.

I was hoping there was some strategy to fighting the hordes with environmental traps/physics or kiting them into their doom?

Last edited:

Fake

Regarding fighting the horde, is there any strategy to setting up traps and killzones to fight them? I ask because the only videos I have found online show a Deacon running in circles or through the localized area, while firing back or tossing explosives.

I was hoping there was some strategy to fighting the hordes with environmental traps/physics or kiting them into their doom?
Yep. Some hordes locations have traps and environment to fight. If you saw the first trailer, that location have a big ass horde. I earn more than 800 freaker ears there btw.
Some players just want to prove their ability by fightning hordes without those help.
Just for you know, some story mission have imo one of the most dangerous horde I ever see.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Saw this video for dealing with the large horde we saw a few E3’s back.

Few close calls though.

demigod

Am I supposed to be going back to Crazy willies? Its deep red on the map. I’m currently on chasing Leon.

Picked it up on Friday after hearing enough positive word of mouth around it. I'm impressed, I spent most of the weekend playing it. Watching a horde of freaks run down a bunch of deer was awesome. Getting caught flatfooted by a large group in the middle of nowhere is appropriately terrifying.
Performance issues are my biggest gripe, and I feel like the grind for gaining camp trust is kinda slow.

Picked it up on Friday after hearing enough positive word of mouth around it. I'm impressed, I spent most of the weekend playing it. Watching a horde of freaks run down a bunch of deer was awesome. Getting caught flatfooted by a large group in the middle of nowhere is appropriately terrifying.
Performance issues are my biggest gripe, and I feel like the grind for gaining camp trust is kinda slow.

I feel like the grind, overall, is a little “bloated.” Just a little. I feel they could have shaved off a few hours of the total quest/story/game progression and been a little better off.

Just a small gripe. My 48ish hours were well spent, don’t get me wrong, and I will play again on survival mode when it drops. Just sayin, one of my minor annoyances I have with the game.

Halo0629

Wow the rpd is godsent when going up against the horde. It can mow down hordes in seconds. Sucks that I didn't use it sooner and was always carrying the crossbow.

I hate these damn wolves. Shot them twice with a shotgun and they don’t go down.
I always melee them,they die fast that way,but they are annoying. I mean I went in a cave for a Nero drop and surprise was is a horde there,running out to escape 3 damn wolves waiting right at the entrance,of course they attack,tried to run as fast I can because of the horde,they jumped on the wolves ,I my head I was "SUCKERS" then a fucking bear right behind coming out of nowhere grabbed me,then the horde reached me and killed me,this game man.

Halo0629

Finally got the platinum. Yey! I thought the broken roadshow trophy was going to bugged on me since I already have 75% collectible yet the trophy still didn't pop up, at 76% it did pop up and thank god what a relief.

So I've been just absorbing everything I hear and see about the game and the conclusion I've come to is that the game scoring in the low 70's seems odd when it feels more like a low 80's the more you play it. It's not one of PlayStation's masterpiece or higher end titles but it just doesn't seem to be getting the recognition it deserves. I mean, that Onimusha remaster was a bad joke and it scored around the same. I hear a lot of "this part needed work" but then it's always followed up by something along the lines of "but I'll be damned if this part isn't great".

Im about 18 hours in. The game is really an 8 but the bugs and glitches unfortunately brings it down to a 7. And that is a good grade from me because I'm using the entire 1-10 scale unlike most websites/reviewers.

+Good adventure
+Good gameplay
+Nice graphics
+Good characters
+Good fast travel system
+Terrifying hordes
+Fun bike
+No SJW bullshit

-Buggy
-Well known open world formula
-Some boring "listening" missions
-Sometimes bad AI

Fake

If you guys are having problem with wild wolves I suggest don't follow those youtube tips.
Most of then make hints for taking hordes, not to beat the game.
My advice is focus on beating the game before taking hordes. Nero injection on health and wolfs will never be a problem.
Other good tip is crossbow. They don't make sound, cheap ammo and can be use to take down Nero speakers as well. For best the game my tip is play stealth. You don't atttract hordes and get safety Nero houses. In the last game camp you can start to make the gun crazy appounch.

Fake

^ You can't use melee weapons to break speakers and early game was a pain using melee weapons and atractt a horde. I almost revert my game because of those stupid speakers. Mid and late game you have better melee version and even if they mob you those weapons late are very good.

What I like about this game is everyone pick a different play style.

Last edited:

Shakka43

^ You can't use melee weapons to break speakers and early game was a pain using melee weapons and atractt a horde. I almost revert my game because of those stupid speakers. Mid and late game you have better melee version and even if they mob you those weapons late are very good.

What I like about this game is everyone pick a different play style.
You can disable the speakers manually so you don't need Melee weapons.

Fake

You can disable the speakers manually so you don't need Melee weapons.
Some Nero stations (actually, most of them late game) have freakers infectation inside and nests. Unless you use my style of appounch (stealth) or you don't care about taking many freakers no problem.
You don't use knife attack, just hold a square button and he cut the speakers, but you forget some speakers are impossible to interact because they are impossible of reach. You gonna find out soon enought.
One Nero have in fact a horde hybernating

Last edited:

Shakka43

Some Nero stations (actually, most of them late game) have freakers infectation inside and nests. Unless you use my style of appounch (stealth) or you don't care about taking many freakers no problem.
You don't use knife attack, just hold a square button and he cut the speakers, but you forget some speakers are impossible to interact because they are impossible of reach. You gonna find out soon enought.
One Nero have in fact a horde hybernating

I already beat the game. What I did was always carry some silencers with me, they are pretty cheap and help for those unreachable speakers.

Fake

I already beat the game. What I did was always carry some silencers with me, they are pretty cheap and help for those unreachable speakers.
Never used a silencers, but they're good with speakers too. Like I said, crossbow is the best of the both worlds because they are far more cheap, just loot cars and trees and you can recover ammunition sometimes with the skilltree.
But again, its a strong aspect of the game you can choise whatever the fuck you gonna use to bring down hordes, gangs, speakers, etc...

Bit of a background into my gaming schtick: Witcher 2 & 3 betwitched me from day one. TW3 being GOAT thus far. Loved Mass Effect Series, understood the furore around the ending, but it still didnt detract from my enjoyment of the series (ME2>3>1), preferred RDR over RDR2 (RDR2 lost itself in unnecessary animated 'details' that could have been spent elsewhere and not somewhere I want to revisit once completed). Horizon Zero Dawn is another masterpiece (just getting through the Frozen Wilds at the mo' having picked it up for 6EUR), Tomb Raider Series reboot is a blast, Uncharted awesome, TLoU Awesome. Far Cry 4 > 5 > 3. I played a lot of Watchdogs and cant wait to get 2 on the cheap. Didn't finish Skyrim but loved the time in the world, Fallout 3 is the only Bethesda game I've successfully finished. But their atmosphere they generate within a world is first class. Glitches and all.
I'm not a shmup guy, but appreciate the time and effort put into them and dip into them for the audio production every now and then. AssCreed Origins and Odyssey are out on their own being the best of the Franchise. Transistor is one of my GOATs. Love me some PES, Dirt Rally and NBA 2K11 was the best before they spoiled the entire series with the evil incarnation of microtransaciton buffoonery.

So, Days Gone. The game is great, just so much fun so far. The Reviewers completely got it wrong on this one. Whoever said it was generic etc needs to take a break from gaming and go hug a tree or summat...they are so wrong, about 10-15 hours into the game here.

There must be something to the whole 'going in blind' thing because I'm more engrossed with this story than RDR2 (for example)...even motorbiking around the mountains is kinda zone out, zen material. And there are so many little details in the game that force a little giggle or audible 'Heh' out of me in at 2AM in the morning, and its these moments that have me waiting to jump back in at the earliest possibility. (
Little things like the different people that open the gate for you leaving the camps. Could have been a single sprite animation, but the changing of the guard is such a nice touch. Few differing one-liners as you leave too

It feels as though Bend got hold of Naughty Dogs libraries from The Last of Us, as there is an uncanny familiarity to the grabbing of objects, the melee crunch and the crouch animations that it immediately brings me back to the buttery smoothness that Joel had. No bad thing at all.
The motorbike mechanic is such a refreshing change from the horses that seem to be a requisite staple for any open world of late. Hopefully this will catch on, as its so much fun to tip about the open world on my metal steed.

I've noped out of every Horde encouter so far, but have spent 10 minutes at a time like David Attenborough from a distance checking out their movements. A great concept very well laid out and implemented. Cant wait to be powerful enough to be able to tackle them head on and have the bejeebus scared out of me in the process. Reviewers have said that it gets a bit samey after a while. Again, go hug a tree. It's a fucking Horde! Each encounter will offer it's own dynamic depending on time of day, weather, location, and your own actions. It might be samey in that you shoot a lot of freakers. But you kinda knew that before you started the game?

The game looks beautiful and a lot of thought gone into the games audio too. I prefer to play on an AV system, & the option to select 7.1 surround was a special treat, and it totally adds to the night time immersion. Having some freakers screaming in the distance while crawling around the forest in the torrents of rain is a moment of complete absorption. The game is full of these moments.

Bend Studios have created a game with a lot of heart and put a lot of theirs into it, you can see it all around the open world. Yes there are bugs (audio sync issue for cutscenes a total immersion killer, for example. Can be fixed by closing down the game completely and restarting. Can be totally avoided by not putting your PS4 into Rest Mode), but if you don't get hung up on these moments, the game has a LOT to offer.

I started playing at 9PM last night, and got so engrossed in the story that 4.5 hours had passed before I checked the time next. (one toilet break included :)) That has not happened to me with a game in a long, long time.

EDIT: Apologies for the wall of text. I don't usually do these review things, but felt the game warrants some honest reviews considering the amount of lackluster reviews coming from the established outlets

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Wow the rpd is godsent when going up against the horde. It can mow down hordes in seconds. Sucks that I didn't use it sooner and was always carrying the crossbow.
Yep I also discovered it recently, makes fighting the hordes super easy especially with the magazine upgrade.

Tbh the hordes encountered while doing missions are the most difficult ones (except for the Iron Butte Resort one), most of the optional hordes I've fought so far were pretty small and I didn't even bother crafting napalm or traps.

Last edited:

scalman

game is going great still and more characters comes to play in cutscenes which is great too. and i car for some of them too so its good to play game where you remember and care what will happen to those other characters too. bike is great i would want one like that to have in real life. it could use that ope nworld even more but i guess you cant have all in one game too.

DanielsM

Banned
About to start tonight's freaker hunt in about a hour. Man, I would not mind them enhancing this game for PS5 at some point.

(PS4 base, as far I remember I did not touch anything in the photo mode settings)

yfAbxFn.jpg

bitbydeath

I was starting a mission at a camp site and suddenly a fight between two members of the camp broke out. I couldn’t see it as I couldn’t turn the camera. They’re just going all out screaming at each other and you hear punching while some old lady is casually talking away to me.

It was like this feels awkward. :messenger_grimmacing_

By the time I got done talking to her both had already left.

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
I give it an 84 and would buy a sequel should it happen. My only beefs are performance problems on the PS4 Pro, insta-fail stealth missions, "you are leaving the mission area" issues and invulnerable NERO personnel which is archaic game design to not break a mission.

Last edited:
I was mad about NERO invulnerable guys, until I saw the epilogue

I’m very curious to see what direction we get in the sequel

Horses of freaks, rival bikers/camps, and now the new NERO infected personnel who keep their intelligence and are well armed but with freaker powers. That could be awesome.

Oregon Free radio is like a shitty version of the JJJ radio show on Spider-Man without the humor.

At least JJ could be funny at times. Like when he was giving Spidey shit about Black Cat and said he was "thinking with his web shooters" :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Tritroid

Omg- ran into my first swarm and got mauled. Absolutely terrifying. :messenger_fearful:

So then how
am I supposed to restore power to the horse lake Nero checkpoint without the swarm spilling out of the train and ripping me apart? Every time I get even remotely close they wake up.

Omg- ran into my first swarm and got mauled. Absolutely terrifying. :messenger_fearful:

So then how
am I supposed to restore power to the horse lake Nero checkpoint without the swarm spilling out of the train and ripping me apart? Every time I get even remotely close they wake up.

This one was tough for me when I first encountered it, too. No matter what they always caught me.

I think I ended up just restoring power and running inside before they could swarm me. Then was able to escape to my bike and GTFO. Had to go back alter to disable the last speaker that I missed, and take care of the horde sometime after that.

bitbydeath

So then how

I went at night. When it gets late they go off for a walk to drink from the river.

scalman

Dont have problems with leaving mission area or Nero guys to follow them in bushes is super easy, but those missions just same repeating thing hope they will change later cus becoming boring and dialogs cheap, i wouldnt do nothing for that guy before he give me info first i mean cmon im tuff biker guy whos killing tens and tens of people all around map but then he so soft at some points i dont like those moments.

HotPocket69

Banned
Dont have problems with leaving mission area or Nero guys to follow them in bushes is super easy, but those missions just same repeating thing hope they will change later cus becoming boring and dialogs cheap, i wouldnt do nothing for that guy before he give me info first i mean cmon im tuff biker guy whos killing tens and tens of people all around map but then he so soft at some points i dont like those moments.

Yeah the insta fail stealth missions are by far the weakest part of the game regardless of the story bits that are peppered in. In the sequel they should just give you a choice to either go in and murder everyone or go in as a pacifist eavesdropper with diff rewards and outcomes for each approach.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying this game quite a bit. I like the mindless gameplay loop despite the repetitiveness of it all and overall it's a good first try at a huge open world AAA game from Bend. There are so many annoying things about it though.

When I roll up on my hog to the mechanic at Tucker's camp and buy some shit why does the bike magically teleport 30 feet away beside a tree? Why does Deacon equip the primary weapon after I do a stealth kill? Why does he stand up when using the binoculars when I'm trying to hide in some bushes? Why is Deacon's voice acting SO FUCKIN BAD?! Why does the motorcycle only hold enough fuel to travel like one friggin kilometer? Some missions seem like they had content cut or something. I ride way the fuck in the middle of nowhere, black loading screen, listen to him mumble some shitty dialogue, black loading screen, mission accomplished. What?

Like I said, great first stab at it and overall I'm enjoying it. Hopefully they get a chance at a sequel and can take what they learned from this and improve on it for the next one.

HotPocket69

Banned
Man I'm loving Witwer's acting in this. I don't think it's bad at all. I think it's a little weird how he goes from softly speaking to shouting but hes an intense dude that's seen and been through some serious shit so I can empathize. I think all of the voice acting has been pretty great.

Skizzo is a douche.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Man I'm loving Witwer's acting in this. I don't think it's bad at all. I think it's a little weird how he goes from softly speaking to shouting but hes an intense dude that's seen and been through some serious shit so I can empathize. I think all of the voice acting has been pretty great.

Skizzo is a douche.

I thought he was very good in the cutscenes, the bike speak to me is not mixed well for some reason (when I use my gold headphones its much better so I don't know), the very intense bike speak made more sense to me once I realized he is trying to yell over his bike. The only thing that is not great is sometimes his bike speak is overlaying the radio or something else going on in the game - more of a tech issue.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
Deacon is a great protagonist and the voice acting is solid.

Deacon is imperfect, he is human, he is trying to adapt to new world sometimes he succeeds sometimes he doesn't. I think he was written by an older writer. Someone (or the committee) who has seen loss, and seen how gradients of gray humanity can really be.

My favorite line so far:
when he was buring down the church
You only have to do this once, I thought hit pretty good.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
You can only ride bike in this game? No cars?

Only bikes as far as I know, but I'm not done. The bike is real fun especially after you upgrade it, imo. Just my take, but I wouldn't think a car would be nearly as fun, also many of the roads are really just bike trails. Days Gone bike > Mad Max car > Red Dead Redemption horse, imo. The bike is so fun I would suggest online racing in Days Gone 2, they did a real nice job with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom