• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone [OT] Days Gone B Gud

My chopper, I call her Betty

DAYS-GONE-20190504140238.png

nowhat

I really respect this dudes work and thoughts.

Great review.
Yeah, pretty much agree with all of it*). It's a solid game with some issues - but many very enjoyable games are flawed in some ways. I wish in addition to having a choosable difficulty level, there'd be a "don't make my bike as needy/fragile as a newborn" checkbox, I'd click it immediately. I agree with SkillUp, the intention is good, just the implementation could use some finetuning.

*) Apart from the frame rate issues, but admittedly I've been so busy with work that I still haven't made it very far into the game.

HotPocket69

Banned
Only bikes as far as I know, but I'm not done. The bike is real fun especially after you upgrade it, imo. Just my take, but I wouldn't think a car would be nearly as fun, also many of the roads are really just bike trails. Days Gone bike > Mad Max car > Red Dead Redemption horse, imo. The bike is so fun I would suggest online racing in Days Gone 2, they did a real nice job with it.

Pretty sure bike challenges are coming with that free DLC in June or whenever it comes. It's coming with the Survival mode along with horde mode....with hordes.

HotPocket69

Banned
Deacon is a great protagonist and the voice acting is solid.

Deacon is imperfect, he is human, he is trying to adapt to new world sometimes he succeeds sometimes he doesn't. I think he was written by an older writer. Someone (or the committee) who has seen loss, and seen how gradients of gray humanity can really be.

My favorite line so far:
when he was buring down the church
You only have to do this once, I thought hit pretty good.

Yeah there were a few scenes where I've wondered if the writer actually had suffered some sort of major personal loss. It hits those notes particularly well.

Man I'm loving Witwer's acting in this. I don't think it's bad at all. I think it's a little weird how he goes from softly speaking to shouting but hes an intense dude that's seen and been through some serious shit so I can empathize. I think all of the voice acting has been pretty great.

Skizzo is a douche.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I read stuff like this. Fuckin guy sounds like he has indigestion when he talks.

Raven117

Gold Member
Yeah there were a few scenes where I've wondered if the writer actually had suffered some sort of major personal loss. It hits those notes particularly well.
I saw an interview with the Bend team, and some seemed a bit older than the usual mid-30s guy. Can’t say everything always hit, but those quieter moments did have some personal notes of a normal person dealing with loss and unimaginable hardship. (Ie a level of detachment)

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
I think what is interesting as I look at reddit and some forums on the interwebs is that this game is all over the map even to people that like or love it. Meaning, some of the things one person thinks needs to be adjusted, changed or removed, another person will state how much they like that same feature. You see it on this thread as well. What is also interesting is the beginning of the game, I felt like it was more of a survival game, now as I gain skills I kind of feel like Rambo. I'm not even sure, if I like that or not, at this point, but its still just so much fun.

The other thing that really stands out is how much the day/night cycle, weather, and freakers really change the individual experience... one person goes to an area is most probably going to get a completely different experience than anyone else especially depending on play style and decisions - even if you replay it, its going to be completely different. I went into one of the towns in the 3rd area last night to retrieve something, and the whole town felt like a mix of Half-Life 2 and game play of The Last of Us - freakers everywhere but not grouped together, a completely different vibe than other parts of the game I had experienced. Although, games have claimed this in the past, this game actually delivers to me and in a big way. So, even though there is some things I think* I would like changed, I'm not even sure it would even work without proto-typing things out, the world is so freaking big, game mechanics are so varied, and its hard to say what I would like when its all said and done.

I think many developers are going to try and mimic this game in many ways, but I don't think its going to be an easy task. The game literally reminds me of 10 of my top 15 games all in one.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
The whole gameplay loop doesn't get old with this as it would say in an Ass Creed or Far Cry (or even Horizon) because the rewards are always worth it be it supplies, trust xp, regular xp and creds. I'm always saving up at least two skill points at a time because I can never have just one. They all seem super useful in their own way. There doesn't seem to be many throwaway ones, if any really.

I picked up that Two Birds, One Stone skill last night that allows bullet penetration through enemies. Gonna be fun as hell using the LMG with extended ammo on a horde with that, just mowing them down. I took out three Swarmers with one shotgun blast and it was great.

The story has quite an interesting turn. I hope it's going where I think its going .

Last edited:
Funny is people saying 'open world is getting bored' before DG release. Now after DG people want open worlds game again.
I'm tired of ubisoft open world type games. I still play those games but i want to see the genre evolve.
Days gone is neither evolution or revolution. It's more of the same old formula.
Sometimes you have a glimpse of something greater. Like when i was hiding in a truck watching a bear fight a swarm, hoping they would leave so i could go back to my bike.

I'm playing on normal and it's too easy. Resources are plentiful. Fuel isn't hard to come by.

Fake

I'm tired of ubisoft open world type games. I still play those games but i want to see the genre evolve.
Days gone is neither evolution or revolution. It's more of the same old formula.
Sometimes you have a glimpse of something greater. Like when i was hiding in a truck watching a bear fight a swarm, hoping they would leave so i could go back to my bike.

I'm playing on normal and it's too easy. Resources are plentiful. Fuel isn't hard to come by.
Open world its a genre. The problem is people instead of playing 'others' genre they want to shit some. I like open world games, but what I see is people saying they are tired not because they're in fact tired, just for being fanboys. I saw the same people shiting about 'Days Gone is another openworld' bs saying 'can't wait for the next Assassin Creed'.
Its just like saying 'I tired of sequels, I just want more new IPs', but on twitter/facebook the same people say 'OMG Zelda/Mario HYPED CAN'T WAIT'.
They don't want new IPs at all, just want the company they don't love making new IPs until the company they love make old sequel games. If you want a prove, just read the Crash Team Racing article from that stupid eurogamer.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned

I think that is probably the issue, nobody is going to agree as to how all these functions out or balances out. I'm playing on Hard and I think it was too easy, I mentioned that on Day 1 I think, so do they get rid of skills and more powerful weapons? Can a barebones Deacon take on the larger Hordes later in the game?

I think the gun play is almost identical as Uncharted, yet people are complaining about that. Its funny how much I disagree with other people, the review posted earlier.... I basically disagree with about 90% of what he said.. yet he basically recommended the game for different reasons than myself. Its strange how people are having such a wildly different experience playing the same product.The issue I think for the dev is to take on such huge hordes (later in the game) the player must have the ability to defeat them, and as a barebones survival games, is that possible? I'm kind of in agreement with you, make this shit survival, they need to get rid of some of this stuff and make it hard, but I'm not sure how that will effect trying to battle the larger hordes.

I think the review posted earlier is an example of some confusion. The guy is like I wish the combat was more challenging but I wish the zombies head didn't move up and down so much so I can one shot them. LOL

Last edited:

autoduelist

Man I love this game. Hoards are what those caravans in Mad Max should have been. Story is great. Bike is great.

I really like the storyline method. I feel like you could take it even further. There have only been a few annoying missions, but even those aren't terrible, and make sense in context.

zcaa0g

Banned
Dont have problems with leaving mission area or Nero guys to follow them in bushes is super easy, but those missions just same repeating thing hope they will change later cus becoming boring and dialogs cheap, i wouldnt do nothing for that guy before he give me info first i mean cmon im tuff biker guy whos killing tens and tens of people all around map but then he so soft at some points i dont like those moments.

My beef isn't complexity; it's the purpose being arbitrary. It's legacy game design.

I... like the combat now. Aiming is still shit. But with better weapons and skills i've been enjoying killing both humans and freakers.
My setup is a fast firing shotgun, a smg and lmg. Tactical rolling, activating bullet time, blasting fools with my shotgun. It is fun.

I'm having the "one more mission" syndrome and i can't explain why. The game doesn't excel in any area. But i enjoy playing it.

I'm liking Deacon as a character, I'm actually surprised about that, not into MC clubs, vests and that culture but his story is interesting.

demigod

Yeah it could have given another layer to the game's survival elements rather than put them there to just as a sort to gather more xp for the camp which is useless since missions gives way2x more camp xp.

Is it possible to max out all skills with just missions before beating the game? Christ I only have 6 points.

EekTheKat

At some points in the game I could swear Sam Witwer's Deacon is channeling a young
Harrison Ford
in his performance, mostly when he's stressed while trying to explain things or when he's annoyed by someone while in conversation. He's got a very similar delivery in those situations.

So far I think Days Gone has been one of the better paced open world games, there's just enough to do to keep me engaged without overwhelming/drowning out the main story threads with a ton of side activities. And so far none of the activities seem to go against the flow of the story/game, nor do they seemingly contradict Deacon's character.

Last edited:

vpance

I keep losing my ripper blade (lawnmower on a stick) after this flower picking mission. When is 1.08 coming 😑

Fake

So, if I go at a Horde and nope out half way through, and I revisit the same horde later on, does the horde count reset?
Nop. They keep the population as far I know. They can interact with 'not freaker' horde, that freakers who keep walking around the map.

IGN giving it a 6.5 is something I don’t agree with but I can understand. There is usually a plus/minus two point range I consider when scoring a game, so if I give a game an 8 (like Days Gone) I can understand anything between 6-10

The GS review giving it a 5 seems very unrealistic to me. When I think of a 5, I think of a game borderline unplayable.

Fake

^ the problem is not the score, but the review inself. Just watch the youtube review and you'll listen many inconcistences about every complain.
The score can fck himself.

Last edited:

Fake

I admit the story don't start so well, but damn mid/late story was good enought.

I almost get all NERO inject.

Running on an SSD seemed to help this game quite a bit for me, load wise. I know that’s something that varies game to game as far as how much improvement you see

Shakka43

IGN giving it a 6.5 is something I don’t agree with but I can understand. There is usually a plus/minus two point range I consider when scoring a game, so if I give a game an 8 (like Days Gone) I can understand anything between 6-10

The GS review giving it a 5 seems very unrealistic to me. When I think of a 5, I think of a game borderline unplayable.
It's not so much about the scores but the content of their reviews.

(The scores were ridiculous though 😂)

Last edited:
Top Bottom