• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone PS4 pro screenshots

Exile20

This console seems like a mess, atleast what we are seeing now.

Not sure what I am looking for in those screenshots. Some PS4 shots actually look better than the PS4 Pro shots.

I have no ideal what to think.

This console seems like a mess, atleast what we are seeing now.

Not sure what I am looking for in those screenshots. Some PS4 shots actually look better than the PS4 Pro shots.

I have no ideal what to think.

Yeah, not sure who came up with the presentation.

MrGerbils

Man I really wish the focus of these new systems was for super gorgeous games with all the effects cranked up to infinity for 1080p30 instead of this 4k30 shit.

It looks like a PS4 game, but with no jaggies..... great, I guess. Not something that's gonna get me to run out and grab a new machine for.

CrisKre

wonder how many people are looking at the thumbs or like on mobile haha

Or maybe some people feel that the difference is negligible and nowhere near worth investing in.

This whole stop-gap upgrade is just ridiculous to me. The differences I´m seeing are absolutely miniscule. I understand everyone is different, but I fail so see anyone looking at this pictures and branding the difference "mind blowing".

DrD

Having trouble deciding between the slim and the Neo, not sure if the differences I'm seeing are worth $100.

For the game itself, I hope they take their time with it because the demo shown at E3 looked really rough from a gameplay perspective but the details they've given on the game sound really interesting. They need to give us a proper demo of what they're saying the game is like.

wachie

I'm trying real hard to see the difference...

I need to keep reminding myself that the one on the left is supposed to be the superior one...

What am I looking for exactly?
textures

look at the white long sleeves - the dirt
the hoodie
the cap

therealjay

Neo Member
I'm glad that consoles are going to finally have the power to have really good image quality. It's kind of a watershed moment in that respect.

Still not going to be able to supersample to hell and back like you can on PC. And I don't think this game is even particularly beautiful but the IQ is definitely much improved over the PS4. Day one on this machine for me.

Shin-Ra

Wishmaster's comparison isn't terribly useful, not sure why it was added to the OP.

Or maybe some people feel that the difference is negligible and nowhere near worth investing in.
Either you have the eyesight (natural or corrected) and equipment to appreciate a difference or you don't.

Put that in the context of a soon 10 years old game.
My point is, that it seems that the level of graphics we are looking at today is something could have been achieved 10 years ago by tweaking the art style a little...

the video again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PECqrhxhpTA
Look at the hardware it's running on. A Titan? Really? And it still doesn't look that realistic. That's a mod. A lot of stuff was "tweaked" and completely changed from the original game. Try to compare the base game with games nowadays. It doesn't hold up well.

The screenshots won't do justice to PS4Pro game screenshots compared to watching the game actually on a real 4K HDR TV. Also the game is still far away so I expect lots of more improvements visually and gameplay wise. I thought the game already looked great on PS4. Sony first party games are always a visual showcase.

Wishmaster's comparison isn't terribly useful, not sure why it was added to the OP.

Either you have the eyesight (natural or corrected) and equipment to appreciate a difference or you don't.
It's not a good 1:1 comparison obviously i don't have the same ps4 screencap. But you can tell the bandanna is higher res for example.

daysgonei0q8j.png

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Look at the hardware it's running on. A Titan? Really? And it still doesn't look that realistic. That's a mod. A lot of stuff was "tweaked" and completely changed from the original game. Try to compare the base game with games nowadays. It doesn't hold up well.

Compared to say Uncharted 4 it looks really lifeless and plasticky, its a great example of how even massive textures and shader power only get half the job done. Its the small details that really add up.

Tyaren

The screens look good...but not mindblowingly good. After all this isn't true 4K anyway but more like upscaled 2K. The additional HDR we can't see here of course and other than that there don't seem to be any other graphical improvements. I wonder where some of you see better textures or lighting. Running in 4K mode it does already seem to bring the PS4 Pro to it's limits. It is also still running at 30fps too, right?
The real graphical improvements are probably only visible in 1080p mode. I expect better lighting, textures and improved LOD there.

cakefoo

It's not a good 1:1 comparison obviously i don't have the same ps4 screencap. But you can tell the bandanna is higher res for example.

daysgonei0q8j.png
The whole image is higher res... because it's 4K... but then you downscaled it to 1080p. That's like comparing DVD to Blu-ray using 480p screenshots.

Here's what the comparison should have looked like.

Tyaren

The whole image is higher res... because it's 4K... but then you downscaled it to 1080p. That's like comparing DVD to Blu-ray using 480p screenshots.

Here's what the comparison should have looked like.
4k-full-qecsgt.png

Lol, no! The fairest comparison you can make is scaling the larger image down to the size of the smaller one, not scaling the smaller image up. The first method doesn't destroy any of the images (the one that is scaled down looks even smoother actually), the latter method completely destroys one of the images however. That's not a fair comparison.

Lol, no! The fairest comparison you can make is scaling the larger image down to the size of the smaller one, not scaling the smaller image up. The first method doesn't destroy any of the images (the one that is scaled down looks even smoother actually), the latter method completely destroys one of the images however. That's not a fair comparison.

That's literally the exact opposite of how it will work on an actual 4K display. To demonstrate the real difference on a fixed pixel display like a computer monitor or phone you have to show the 4K image at 1:1 pixel size and scale up the 1080p image like he did. Cakfoo's image is correct. The original is misleading.

What Sony should do is host direct feed(and high bitrate) videos of these games and have them available for download. That way people can see the difference with their own eyes. I don't know if 4k HDR videos can be downloaded, though.

cakefoo

Have you ever seen a Blu-ray vs DVD comparison done at 480p?
Have you ever seen a PC vs PS3/360 comparison done at 720p?

Having trouble deciding between the slim and the Neo, not sure if the differences I'm seeing are worth $100.

For the game itself, I hope they take their time with it because the demo shown at E3 looked really rough from a gameplay perspective but the details they've given on the game sound really interesting. They need to give us a proper demo of what they're saying the game is like.

if don't own a ps4 at all, just get the Pro. But I own a ps4 and I won't be upgrading to either, it is just not worth it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i suppose it looks good for being upscaled but still quite blurry. no where near what 4k actually is. when scorpio comes out tables will turn. ps4 will be the system running at a lower resolution with upscaling and the scorpio will be the one playing at native resolution.

So the responses were a bit mixed. Some were excited because it was ND, but others were disappointed because of "zombies".

And lol @ "PS3 exclusive?" and "stealth PS4 game announcement".

Its is enjoyable to go back and read though some of these topics lol.

responses to peoples responses arent the best metric. just cause a said this doesnt mean the ones said this about tlou a the time as what they are saying abot gh now

and it doest mean their feelings have changed just cause some people think it's great or amazing today. Those comments may still hold for some of those guys today who are tired of zombies so it again isn't thought out well to assume they were wrong then and put it to now as wrong

Marvel

could never
Wow.

With a pro and a 4K TV we have finally reached bullshot territory for our games pretty much. Very happy and excited.

I'm not noticing a significant difference, hence why it would had been better for Sony to focus on 60fps or much higher graphical assets to show the difference between Pro and normal PS4. I showed my friend the screenshots and he mistaken the Pro screenshot as the regular PS4 and was surprised about how minimal the difference was.

John Wick

Still doesn't look that great. Everything about this game screams generic.

All you've seen is an unfinished game with just one demo which showcased one section. How can you draw your conclusions from that??? Those screenshots look fantastic and game looks solid. Interesting take the horde swarming at you. Could be a great game if the tension is there.

Samsung KS8000 (Rtings review) is the best value in that range. I would stay away from Vizio as its scaling tech is poor so 720p and 1080p content doesn't work as well. Samsung and Sony have the best scaling tech at the moment. Samsung is also a 120 hz TV while the Vizio P Series is a 60hz television at 50 inches and uses an IPS display (worse color/black levels) at 55 inches. You don't get a good quality display AND 120hz with the Vizio P Series unless you are willing to go to 65 inches or higher which is $2,000.

Have to say, after getting the One S I picked up the KS8000 and damn is the picture amazing with UHD's. Deadpool in 4K HDR is crazy. Needless to say, he Pro is preordered and my launch PS4 is ready to be upgraded.

DF and GiantBomb were right in saying pictures and videos won't do the ps4 pro justice. Unless you have a 4k screen and the footage is uncompressed, you'll never get a true representation of the graphics, especially the HDR.

I for one trust DF's (and other's) hands on impressions which were very positive. I think as more people get to see in person, opinions are going to make change for the better.

TannerDemoz

Does anyone else feel like this game has no weight behind it? I know we're only going off trailers, but the way the enemies take hits; the way your gun fires; it all just looks a bit cheap?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
DF and GiantBomb were right in saying pictures and videos won't do the ps4 pro justice. Unless you have a 4k screen and the footage is uncompressed, you'll never get a true representation of the graphics, especially the HDR.

I for one trust DF's (and other's) hands on impressions which were very positive. I think as more people get to see in person, opinions are going to make change for the better.

Exactly what I was thinking. This being an enthusiast forum I'm surprised people think some screenshots they're most likely viewing in 1080p, are as accurate as viewing the game in person in 4K.

It's like watching a PC vs console comparison video on YouTube and claiming to barely see a difference.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Does anyone else feel like this game has no weight behind it? I know we're only going off trailers, but the way the enemies take hits; the way your gun fires; it all just looks a bit cheap?

I haven't followed this game at all. Watched a "gameplay" trailer which was super scripted as the "player" knew exactly where to run, and which environment items were interactive. The gun didn't seem to pack punch, and enemies just sort of fell over dead with no sense of impact behind the bullets.

I'm probably being overly harsh, as this was such an over the top segment I watched. I loved the setting (reminded me of Alan Wake), but nothing else excited me. I guess gaming life is good when we've reached the point where a trailer showing hundreds of enemies chasing the player elicits a shoulder shrug.

Top Bottom