• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone PS4 pro screenshots

bigfurb

Exactly what I was thinking. This being an enthusiast forum I'm surprised people think some screenshots they're most likely viewing in 1080p, are as accurate as viewing the game in person in 4K.

It's like watching a PC vs console comparison video on YouTube and claiming to barely see a difference.

Some people are being purposely obtuse for the sake of "system wars". I hate the introduction of new hardware, exciting time for gamers but shitty time for game forums

Shin-Ra

Exactly what I was thinking. This being an enthusiast forum I'm surprised people think some screenshots they're most likely viewing in 1080p, are as accurate as viewing the game in person in 4K.

It's like watching a PC vs console comparison video on YouTube and claiming to barely see a difference.
Three years ago we had people claiming they could barely see a difference between 720p and 1080p. It's the cycle of ignorance whenever image quality improves.

Honestly I get where people are coming from when they say its generic. At the end of the day its a zombie game. But it seems SO up my alley. I want Bend to get a big win with this one.

My hope is that people will keep an open mind about it.

Three years ago we had people claiming they could barely see a difference between 720p and 1080p. It's the cycle of ignorance whenever image quality improves.

Yeah, saw a lot of that especially in DF articles, in the comments section. Everytime I read one of those comments I put it down to either:
a) the person was viewing on a mobile phone screen
b) they had bad eyesight
c) they were being dishonest (insecure xbox owners,etc)
d) a mix of the above

Vire

Honestly I get where people are coming from when they say its generic. At the end of the day its a zombie game. But it seems SO up my alley. I want Bend to get a big win with this one.

My hope is that people will keep an open mind about it.
I think the aspect they gotta push is the hillbilly motorcycle/sons of anarchy vibe not the zombies themselves. I think that's really the only thing that sets it apart in setting.

As for the pictures themselves, I'm not seeing a huge difference. Certainly not $400 dollars worth of difference.

This just reinforces how terrible and generic this game looks.
Everything is "terrible". You all need to find a better way to describe things.

Ill fix this for you:
This is something that always confounds me. Why is PC always mentioned as if it is a single, closed platform? There are a myriad of configurations but it is always implied as if everyone with a PC is rocking above average or top of the line specs.

This game looks amazing. The IQ is absolutely incredible.

The IQ is kinda bad, but that's likely due to screen compressions. You can spot multiple artefacts and the picture lacks clarity.

This is something that always confounds me. Why is PC always mentioned as if it is a single, closed platform? There are a myriad of configurations but it is always implied as if everyone with a PC is rocking above average or top of the line specs.

When people mentions PC, they don't mention the hardware but the software or more like where you can take the software up to.
Or more like: What features support a PC version of a game.

Alebrije

This game and Horizont are my main reasons to get a PRO , but will wait to know more about its story, scope ,etc...

nasanu

Banned
When people mentions PC, they don't mention the hardware but the software or more like where you can take the software up to.
Or more like: What features support a PC version of a game.

Well when people... mentions... PC..., if they actually want to say something totally different why don't they say something totally different?

TannerDemoz

I haven't followed this game at all. Watched a "gameplay" trailer which was super scripted as the "player" knew exactly where to run, and which environment items were interactive. The gun didn't seem to pack punch, and enemies just sort of fell over dead with no sense of impact behind the bullets.

I'm probably being overly harsh, as this was such an over the top segment I watched. I loved the setting (reminded me of Alan Wake), but nothing else excited me. I guess gaming life is good when we've reached the point where a trailer showing hundreds of enemies chasing the player elicits a shoulder shrug.

Exactly how I felt. The fact the gun didn't pack a punch and enemies just seemed to collapse as if they were being blown over just made the video look really strange. With you on the setting - I think it looks awesome - I just hope the game feels as gritty as its landscape is shaping out to be?

manfestival

days gone looks terrible. I dont even understand why they greenlighted another one of these zombie games... well I mean its ok if you at least try to make it look interesting but the game looks so bland

Because that messaging hides behind "well you *could* do this" even if most people don't, won't, or often times also can't.

The PC platform enables tons of stuff, because it is open. But certain people like to stretch that to mean that it is even in the realm of possibility that people will take advantage of that at every opportunity (if that was happening, it would cost an arm and a leg).

One could buy a near top line GPU every year. That's not a lot of people who do, or can, though.

It makes me annoyed at my fellow PC gamers. I love the PC platform and what it offers too, and I'm planning on getting a brand spanking new PC in the next couple of years.

But really sometimes the attitudes of people on console side or PC side or AMD/NVIDIA side really take the whole versus concept way too far.

SonComet

It feels like a lot of people are looking at these shots on a phone or small tablet. I see a huge clarity boost on my 12.9" iPad, 5k iMac, and 65" 4K tv. I see no difference at all on my phone. I was actually surprised by the upgrade and I'm much more excited for the PS4 pro than I was previously.

Slixshot

Banned
days gone looks terrible. I dont even understand why they greenlighted another one of these zombie games... well I mean its ok if you at least try to make it look interesting but the game looks so bland

No way. Looks like Sons of Anarchy combined with The Walking Dead. My hype for this game is high!

Shin-Ra

In the VP9-encoded 4K upload of the PlayStation Meeting, part 3 (download using 4K video downloader) the Days Gone presentation has footage that pans slowly enough that lossy video compression doesn't destroy all the resolution gain.

PS4 Pro

DaysGoneFOREST.jpg

DaysGoneINSIDE.jpg

DaysGoneSUNSET.jpg

PS4 (these screenshots are lossless PNG's yet the clarity on high contrast edges is clearly lower, aliasing is much more apparent, especially on the building's 3D modelled wooden boards)

27757702991_5e5e788a14_o.png

27732239602_752d8ea681_o.png

27757703251_c648e06523_o.png

The difference in resolution is clearest on a 4K monitor, but even on a 1080p display you should see a great difference in sharpness and aliasing.

In this PS4 Pro capture, you can even see the very narrow rails on the distant bridge.
DaysGoneSUNSETzoom.jpg

Days Gone appears to be using Unreal Engine 4's temporal AA, with a sharpen filter on PS4 but this is thankfully not visible in the PS4 Pro footage.

Yeah this is just another one of these bounty hunter riding on a motorcycle during the zombie apocalypse open world games out there.
/s

My thoughts exactly. Why is this generic? Because TLOU exists and has vague similarities?

It's partially this effect where people take for granted insane production values, as if they're nbd.

This game does not look terrible. You all need to play some actual terrible games to understand what the word means. For fuck's sake. FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

Toni

What do you do in Days Gone?

Wasn't the game just announced at E3?

We just have the concept, that is apocalyptic setting with survival aspects and it being open-world with vehicles.

We have nothing on story, online features, character names, pretty nothing.

Folks are being too oddly judgemental at this game.

Its Sony Bend, they're pretty good.

ViciousDS

Banned

I can easily see the difference of a native 1080p picture and anything below it such as 900p and 720p easily even on a 27inch monitor.

You are not going to see it without the actual tech. 4K shots will look sharper and super sampled but if you use a small enough screen you can't tell the difference at all. It all looks so clean lol

*holds down R2 for 5 minutes*

^^^^^ fails to understand the dev was showing off zombie horde tech and that conventional means of shooting zombies isn't going to save you in this game.

How hard is it for people to understand that it wasn't to show off the gameplay as much as it was to show you that you are dealing with world war z movie style zombies and shooting them with pounds of bullets isn't going to save you.

It was basically a tech demo for the game itself

Got high hopes for this game, and I was surprised to learn (or rather, be reminded) that Bend's last game was all the way back in 2012, so with that considered it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect this to come out next year. 5-ish years working on a new IP seems pretty standard this gen. I wonder if Sony will have any other new IPs to show at PSX in a few months.

zsynqx

Hope to get more gameplay from this soon, didn't do much for me at E3. The tech behind it does seem very impressive but that is generally the case with Sony exclusives.

Loudninja

Got high hopes for this game, and I was surprised to learn (or rather, be reminded) that Bend's last game was all the way back in 2012, so with that considered it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect this to come out next year. 5-ish years working on a new IP seems pretty standard this gen. I wonder if Sony will have any other new IPs to show at PSX in a few months.
I doubt it really.

Top Bottom