• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone (Sony Bend, UE4) - E3 2016 Gameplay Walkthrough

Xeteh

This sounds kind of nuts, especially since they're not using their own engine and their last project was what, Uncharted Vita? Maybe Ubisoft shitting out all these open world games so fast is giving false me impressions...

I'm not a zombie fan, but it's at least nice to see they weren't slow as fuck, impressive visuals to boot.

Ubisoft is also several studios with an insane amount of employees.

I think it look alright, hopefully they show off more systems soon because aside from it being third person they really don't tell you a whole lot about it.

Not feeling it at all. It's essentially a single player Dead Rising from what I see, with an actual story and likely a better open world.

Frankly I'm done with zombie apocalypse type of games. When I heard it was an open world horror game, I was hoping Bend would try to be ambitious and try something different.

I'll still wait for more information and videos, but awful first impression imo and not a great way to end such a fantastic, and frankly imo, Sony's best conference. Hope Bend do see success though after such as long hiatus. Would hate to see another Evolution or Studio Liverpool situation even though I personally didn't agree with the studios decisions. Or flop like Ready at Dawn did, despite their years of success on PSP.

Best wishes.

Yeah I expected to come back from the theater experience to see GAF praising it. I did not expect so much negativity :/
I'm seeing mass negativity in everything tho lol. Its like a massive switch from my theater on here
How was the theater experience? Which game got the most reactions out of it?
Skylanders got a meh and ffxv vr was like mute outta my theater that was it. Everything else was pure hype

I liked it. Sure it's very reminescent of TLOU and zombie games are seriously overdone but I liked it. The World War Z way the "zombie" crowd moves impressed me, that was cool.

The shooting mechanics can be a bit better to be honest. Ehh another zombie horde game though? Kind of burnt out on those but then again it's a ways off and improvements can be made.

i'll remain cautious about this one.

How was the theater experience? Which game got the most reactions out of it?
Theater experience was great! I'd say the biggest reaction would have been Crash, until....yeah lol. (Though I am excited for the remastered collection). Otherwise the biggest reaction was God of War. As soon as Kratos came from the shadows, everyone lost their shit.

The reaction to Days Gone was positive as well! But everyone did laugh at the DIY silencer.

Damn, i missed the conference because of work so i'm catching up on all of these anouncments. Holy shit is Sony's WWS starting to flex their muscles. This is another game that looks awesome.

EulaCapra

I swear there was one moment on the rooftop where the main guy just ran straight into a zombie and they both just kept on running past each other.

nelchaar

Just watched sony bend talking about this game in Geoff youtube show.

Keys points I got from the video:
* Game is heavily story focused single player only Action/Adventure survival game experience like of Last of Us in some ways
* Bike (focuses on bike culture) is really important in the game and he never leaves which is crafted and built by the player
* Set in Pacific High desert harsh volcanic place with caves etc,,
* Open world sandbox style game that can be fully explorable
* Has Dynamic day/night cycle and weather system
* Has RPG (crafting) elements and changes gameplay based on that, so player needs to understand the tools and environment
* World is dangerous compared to other zombie games out there as they say zombies try to kill everything that moves especially at night
* Game has been in development for 3+ years, but still its in early development as they just only finished core mechanics/ideas of the game and not ready yet

Everything sounds great to me.

Now this sounds awesome.

Qvoth

I think dead don't ride is better title
When they decided to end the show with this game I was totally expecting a curve ball with the title days gone morphing into tlou 2 lol

Donthizz#

should have shown open world exploring and stuff instead of shooting zombies.

Sony giving this game lot of exposure makes me think that they believe in this game.

gadwn

Lol at all the negativity. I guess a lot of people is reeeeeeallly tired of zombies.

Because that looked fun as hell. Not perfect, I hope they will work on sound, animation and bullet impact the most. But damn, I can't freaking wait to get chased by hordes like that. Bend, you have your chance for greatness now. Please nail it!

Just watched sony bend talking about this game in Geoff youtube show.

Keys points I got from the video:
* Game is heavily story focused single player only Action/Adventure survival game experience like of Last of Us in some ways
* Bike (focuses on bike culture) is really important in the game and he never leaves which is crafted and built by the player
* Set in Pacific High desert harsh volcanic place with caves etc,,
* Open world sandbox style game that can be fully explorable
* Has Dynamic day/night cycle and weather system
* Has RPG (crafting) elements and changes gameplay based on that, so player needs to understand the tools and environment
* World is dangerous compared to other zombie games out there as they say zombies try to kill everything that moves especially at night
* Game has been in development for 3+ years, but still its in early development as they just only finished core mechanics/ideas of the game and not ready yet

Everything sounds great to me.

Sounds like Sony's attempt at their own State of Decay, which is fantastic news. More games like the better.

I thought the trailer was better then the footage. Mainly because I wanted the footage to focus more on the scavenging/survival aspect.

In particular, I think this game will benefit from a non-god-mode showing.

The infinite ammo kind of defeated one of the purposes of the game (and thus, lessened the tension).

With that said, it looked fantastic overall. I'm really excited to see more and play it.

jwk94

I swear there was one moment on the rooftop where the main guy just ran straight into a zombie and they both just kept on running past each other.
Yep its jist before he gets to the other platform at thr very end of the demo. This gamr should not have been shown off. The demo was rough, infinite ammo broke immersion, and the repetitive nature of the chase was awful.

Tagg9

Name me 5 3D AAA zombie games this gen.

AAA zombie franchises (that have had a new game in the last 3 years):

The Last of Us
Resident Evil
Dying Light
Dead Rising
The Evil Within
State of Decay
Dead Island

I was expecting to be blown away by Sony Bend's new title, but it looks like a shitty The Last of Us spinoff.

Yup. I mean, I also got those Tlou vibes in the first vid, but the gameplay looks different enough (of course it still is survivalstuff). Looking forward to it.

Is there another link for the gameplay demo? The one in the OP is private for some reason. Really want to see the game in motion.

Maybe the demo was too scripted for some people? I liked it, but that's mostly because I love fast zombies, nearly all zombie games lately have these slow ass zombies which pose no real threat cause they never get close to you. But in this game, it seems like you are going to be constantly on the run and couple that with a bike, I think it could potentially make for a cool game.

Dr.Sanchez

Neo Member
I liked the horde chasing the player. Wonder if the player could've chosen a different escape route in that sequence.

Agh, I want to run away from a huge zombie horde while "In a Heartbeat" plays in the background.

RedStep

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm but you guys trying to make the game sound generic just sound like a derivative hivemind yourselves. Seems you guys will find anything to attack the game for just to be a part of something. Days Gone...By would've been better but the title is still nice.

A) People come to separate opinions separately, if you've decided that "don't like thing" is a hivemind but "like thing" isn't, I don't know what to tell you.

B) That's part of the problem - "Days Gone Bye" is the name of the first Walking Dead volume. With all the similarities to other properties this feels like it's telling somebody else's story instead of its own. "It's like The Last of Us, but with World War Z's hordes and State of Decay's open world!"

Watching the conference I was waiting for them to reveal that it was a Last of Us spinoff, but it never happened. If they're going to go down a very similar path, they should at least capitalize on the universe and franchise that they just established. Why go from those unique "zombie" designs back to the generic ones that have been done to death? There's no reason you can't tell another story in that world.

Top Bottom