• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daytona USA 2 and Sega’s refusal to let us play one of their best games of all time

VGEsoterica

I’m really starting to think that whoever makes the decisions at Sega intentionally enjoys causing their fan base pain lol. Why else would amazing games like Daytona 2 never see a home release? It’s not like the game wasn’t good enough or reviewed poorly!

Daytona 2, for me, has everything that made SEGA the company to beat in the 90’s. Sure they had issues with the Saturn but 90’s Sega was the best thing going. Dreamcast on the horizon, a glut of amazing arcade games...it seemed like they could do nothing wrong. Although...

how did something like this never make it to Dreamcast or any other platform like the original Xbox. If Sega felt the original Daytona was deserving of multiple releases on the Saturn and a remake on Dreamcast...why not the sequel? Considering it released in arcades in 1998 a Dreamcast port seemed written in stone. It was rumored in magazines back in the day as coming to Dreamcast but in the end we got stiffed by Sega AGAIN!

I can’t imagine Sega didn’t think it would succeed. It has everything that made the original Daytona a hit plus a ton extra ; awesome graphics, better tracks, a more “arcade” feel to how the cars handled. Plus the Daytona remake sold well.

Maybe Sega’s big reported announcement next month is they will finally port all the arcade games they never bothered to give us to a new home console called Dreamcast 2? Lolol

but in all seriousness if you haven’t played Daytona USA 2, go do it. I’ll wait

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Trigger warning. Someone found this in my town and posted it on a fb group the other day, personally I never even got to see it in any arcades here when the scene was alive...
fb_img_1590934596513l3j7y.jpg

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Trigger warning. Someone found this in my town and posted it on a fb group the other day, personally I never even got to see it in any arcades here when the scene was alive...

That poor cabinet. It can be rebuilt! Stronger and faster lol

and that’s why we need ports of these games. The cabinets aren’t getting any less rare

Sega abandoned 95% of their arcade legacy, even the modern home ports of Golden Axe are all based of off the Genesis version (which was good at the time, but not like the arcade).

Birdo

Banned

There are Arcade restoration channels on Youtube that this would be perfect for.

Hell, I'd love to do it myself if I had the money and space :messenger_weary:

magaman

Banned
This is a bit more complicated than "Sega = anti-consumer."

Licensing a product entails a series of responsibilities on all parties. There could have been some sort of arrangement that simply did not permit a release.

I'm not saying that's the case, it's just that Sega likely isn't out to get you. There could have been extenuating circumstances.

which to me is just completely confusing. Why not monetize the catalog? It’s like having a gold mine and never sending in anyone with a shovel
I know, I cry a little bit every passing day, why not release a classic arcade collection, like they do with the Genesis? one for the super scaler area, the other for the 3D era (or 80s then 90s).

There are so many gems in there.

Kuranghi

It is epsecially weird when naomi/dreamcast is very well emulated at this point, so they could just go the usual lazy route and re-release them that way but they can't even be bothered* to do that.

Is it licensing issues?

Fox Mulder

Sega abandoned 95% of their arcade legacy, even the modern home ports of Golden Axe are all based of off the Genesis version (which was good at the time, but not like the arcade).

I only recently saw Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder putting together a retropie and it looks badass. It should easily be playable today in some collection or release.

Kuranghi

I have a strong feeling the Sega reveal is a Dreamcast Mini, if it had Naomi/Atomiswave games too I'd do an actual shite. My DC doesn't work with my new TV anymore because I lost the VGA port :cry: and I've no S-Video also and I can't go back to composite now.

VGEsoterica

I have a strong feeling the Sega reveal is a Dreamcast Mini, if it had Naomi/Atomiswave games too I'd do an actual shite. My DC doesn't work with my new TV anymore because I lost the VGA port :cry: and I've no S-Video also and I can't go back to composite now.

I’m hoping the far fetched rumor that MS buys Sega and they release the Xbox in Japan under the Sega brand and Sega becomes a MS first party dev

a man can dream

Kuranghi

Oh man now I want Powerstone 3 so much, LAST FIGHT was pretty cool but didn't have the stage progression so its not the same.

VGEsoterica

Sega and Konami have so much untapped potential. Fucking mismanagement and waste of some many great ips. NINTENDO PLEASE BUY BOTH AND TAKE ME OUT OF THIS MISERY

maybe Microsoft will buy Sega. That’s the hot internet rumor at least. Don’t know that I believe it but it would be crazy if they did. Maybe MS would treat the back catalog of unported games with more value than Sega does

phil_t98

#SonyToo
maybe Microsoft will buy Sega. That’s the hot internet rumor at least. Don’t know that I believe it but it would be crazy if they did. Maybe MS would treat the back catalog of unported games with more value than Sega does

would be pretty cool to bring some of there arcade classics back to life such as arcade perfect Virtua fighter or bring back out run and the xbox 360 version of out run was insane

It's sad the closest we've come to a home release of this was the stages showing up in Outrun 2. Course Outrun 2 plays nothing like Daytona and the stages were static versions with all the cool background effects removed. =/

Last edited:

skneogaf

Reminders like this really makes me wonder why sega haven't been bought out yet. Their back catalogue surely can be modernised and surely there is enough of us that would buy those games.
Either Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony would benefit from this and me too.

VGEsoterica

It's sad the closest we've come to a home release of this was the stages showing up in Outrun 2. Course Outrun 2 plays nothing like Daytona and the stages were static versions with all the cool background effects removed. =/

OutRun 2 is awesome and I love it but yes it feels totally different control wise. I would take a new game in that series in a heartbeat still

MrA

Banned
sega doesn't let anyone access lots of great games, scud racer, sega gts, outrun 2, everything for the saturn except nights

MrA

Banned
SEGA and Namco were the undisputed kings of the arcade in the 90s and early 2000s. So many great games have yet to be ported to modern platforms. It is sad.
There is a shimmer of hope on the 3ds sega classics, we got that amazing virtua racing port (8 flipping players on 1 switch), but yeah the number of amazing games from them that were never re-released is just nuts.

VGEsoterica

There is a shimmer of hope on the 3ds sega classics, we got that amazing virtua racing port (8 flipping players on 1 switch), but yeah the number of amazing games from them that were never re-released is just nuts.

If not now then when? Everyone who played these in arcades as kids are eventually going to age out of caring. Well I won’t but lol

Dante83

Banned
There are games that sega is sitting on like daytona 2, the new daytona "3" that got released at the arcades and scud racer. I wanted these games to come out for the longest time, especially daytona 2 and scud racer.

Stuart360

Sega re wird to me sometimes. I'd bet $10 arcade perfect ports of Daytona 2, Scud Race, basically all their arcade back catalogue, would sell pretty damn well.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Daytona 3 is pretty easy to play on PC, is model 3 emulation in a good place to even play Dayton USA 2?

lock2k

Banned
Another crime is not having a port of Super GT aka one of the best arcade racers ever released.

Last edited:
SEGA has more forgotten gems in their arcade back-catalogue than Konami and CAPCOM put together, IMO. Daytona USA 2 is one of many examples.

It's a shame we keep getting more "SEGA Genesis Mega Hits" collections but nothing for their other consoles or for their arcade lineage. :lollipop_weary:
Blame me. I bought them for the ps2, ps3, psp, switch, pc, genesis mini and even the dreamcast smash pack.

Would love to play 4k versions of their arcade games from model 1 to present. We missed out of daytona 2 and scud race as well as arcade perfect ports of sega touring cars, sega rally 1 and 2, virtua cop, hotd and more. I guess the yakuza/ judgment games are our only hope of sega arcade games showing up on consoles!

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I always thought the driving in Daytona to be awful, great game to look at but preferred Ridge racer at the time. Sega Rally was a way better game than Daytona for me personally

TriSuit666

Banned
Look, the closest we got to seeing both Scud Race and Daytona 2 on consoles were the remade tracks in the original OutRun 2 conversion on the OG Xbox, and it's legion the hoops Sumo had to jump through to get even that far with Sega.

For whatever reason, absolutely forget about a large part of the Model 3 catalogue ever getting an official home release, ever - they are very well emulated these days, Scud Race and D2 in particular are pretty much full speed on modern hardware.

RAIDEN1

Yet for some reason they could release the original Daytona on Xbox and PS3, were the online sales so bad that they couldn't muster a sequel? That and the fact that to this day there has never been an arcade perfect port of Virtua Fighter 3 on ANY console, though I wouldn't go far as to say 90's Sega was the best up until about 1995 it all started to go down-hill for them, you could probably say 80's Sega was the best, they were flying high in the arcades, the Genesis was about to shake things up in the 16 bit market...and it ended up being Sega's most successful console ever....the tag one-hit wonder isn't there for no reason...

Top Bottom