• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ creator: Sony interested in PS4 DayZ port

Slair

He didn't work for Bohemia when he created the DayZ mod.

Bohemia saw the mod go viral and employed him immediately though, so now it's a slightly bigger team working on the standalone version.

He was actually working on ARMA 3 as an outside contractor or some such when DayZ blew up. There was at least one other person involved in the mod that got hired by Bohemia too.

DayZ on PS4 would go hand in hand with the consoles streaming capabilities

Has anyone stopped to consider how this would be feasible on a console controller without limiting the scope of the game? When Crytek ported the original Crysis to consoles, they basically had to gimp suit controls so the game wouldn't be such a pain in the ass to play with a controller. The result was something more intuitive for an PS3 controller but you lost a lot of the emergent gameplay possibilities in Crysis.

Do it! Please do it!

EDIT:
If it were to make the jump to the PS4, do you guys think Sony would allow mods and KB&M support like UT3?

Wouldn't be surprised if they did.
So far sony is making really good choices to improve console gaming.

What i now miss are a way to have the community setup dedicated servers.
Hell if sony could release firmware for ps3 to make it a dedicated server would be awesome.

I believe section 8 did this also on consoles. Release dedicated server software for your pc or server at home.

Slair

Has anyone stopped to consider how this would be feasible on a console controller without limiting the scope of the game? When Crytek ported the original Crysis to consoles, they basically had to gimp suit controls so the game wouldn't be such a pain in the ass to play with a controller. The result was something more intuitive for an PS3 controller but you lost a lot of the emergent gameplay possibilities in Crysis.

I don't know how they'd do it exactly, but stuff like inventory management they could probably lift completely from the PC version using the touch pad to drag and drop clothing and weapons. They'd have to tackle the issue of leaning but the controller does have a tilt sensor in it or they could do something with the camera kinda like how TrackIR works. Just a couple suggestions, would still have the controls for displaying the map and compass etc to sort out

Nice! Bring it on. Really there is little excuse to not bring PC titles over to the PS4. Well I guess publishing fees and patching fees, but Sony seems eager to make those less of a problem, especially for indie developers.

PetrCobra

If Sony manages to get too many developers to make games exclusively for them, it could make the market unbalanced again. I for one was really satisfied with how this ending generation was split almost evenly between the big three.

That's why I hope DayZ will not be only on the PS4. I mean, yeah, I'm a Nintendo guy, but I also have the PC so I don't really care if that thing appears on the Wii U. Just put it on the XBox as well, at least.

Kyoufu

If Sony manages to get too many developers to make games exclusively for them, it could make the market unbalanced again. I for one was really satisfied with how this ending generation was split almost evenly between the big three.

That's why I hope DayZ will not be only on the PS4. I mean, yeah, I'm a Nintendo guy, but I also have the PC so I don't really care if that thing appears on the Wii U. Just put it on the XBox as well, at least.

You should be hoping for more exclusives. They usually take advantage of the single platform more often than multi platform games would.

stryke

We're only getting a lot of PS4 news because Sony have actually announced their console. Don't worry, MS will have their share of the pie too.

Hoo-doo

Banned

There's absolutely nothing about the controls of DayZ that make the game as good as it is. It's the actual survival and exploration aspect that makes the game.
In fact, I think a more convenient controller setup and a "fixed" inventory would make the game better than the original.

We're only getting a lot of PS4 news because Sony have actually announced their console. Don't worry, MS will have their share of the pie too.

I am sure MS are as we speak setting up an exclusive deal to bring WarZ to the next xbox :)

All joking a side, DayZ is the type of game that I can see being console exclusive, as it involves a smaller development team and will require very close platform support.

Planetside 2, WarZ and Destiny are the type of mulitplayer experiences I am looking forward to next gen.

eot

Banned
There's absolutely nothing about the controls of DayZ that make the game as good as it is. It's the actual survival and exploration aspect that makes the game.
In fact, I think a more convenient controller setup and a "fixed" inventory would make the game better than the original.

The only thing is the aiming. You can get into some extremely long range firefights in DayZ where you need to be damn near pixel precise with your aiming.

aganu

DayZ should be perfect for the new spectating/streaming PS4 features. Great move from Sony.

Would definitely buy, no question about it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The only thing is the aiming. You can get into some extremely long range firefights in DayZ where you need to be damn near pixel precise with your aiming.

Dat 1900x900 touchpad
maybe?

This is all nice news for PS4.

But what would be really beneficial to these platforms is to do the necessary so that small developers think about a console as a home platform, as the first platform for their game. It's really hard to compete with PC on that front, the way things are at the moment.

Console is a first home for AAA (usually), but for 'indie' and small devs, PC is just a much easier starting point. Getting games to come to your platform after the fact is one thing...making your platform so these games can emerge first on your platform is another.

KaiserBecks

Wrong. The ability to move your head independently is very important and something I've been missing in most first person games ever since.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
It'd be weird to see it without custom server mods, but I suppose a vanilla version could work for some people.

I never play vanilla, so hopefully they'd have something to help with that.

I'd say DayZ is fun even though the engine they use is janky as fuck. The inventory system is one of the worst I've ever seen, it works.. but it's shit. Melee was added but even it's really a hack and not really melee.

Streamlining down a lot of the controls would be a good thing.

I'd still only play on the PC

ironcreed

Banned
Excellent news, though I assumed as much would happen with Bohemia Interactive being on the list of devs supporting the system.

stryke

Easy to mitigate with motion controls. Aim with trigger and compensate by tilting the controller. Worked brilliantly in Killzone and UC Golden Abyss.

ironcreed

Banned
The PS4 should be getting all kinds of goodies from the PC side of things, which makes me a happy camper indeed. Especially when you add in Sony's strong first party. Yeah, it will be the only system I will need.

stryke

Lol, I get the feeling some are getting a bit ahead of themselves. All Sony have done so far is talk with Rocket. I doubt there's any signed deal yet, especially when they're concentrating on the PC version. I also doubt they have the capacity to release a console version by launch window (Sony could do it themselves in-house I guess).

I think the best sign we have is that Bohemia Interactive have plans for the PS4. That's it.

Tratorn

Blame me, but I never saw or played DayZ. So now I watched 30 mins gameplay and I can't understand how this game can be called "good".
The idea is fantastic, but there're bugs everywhere. Not even the animations are correct, which destroys the game completely for me...

Will the "real" game be any better than the mod or is it the same only on a disc?
If the game itself wouldn't be such a mess (broken animations, endless spawn in the same area (?), etc) I would probably love it...

And since I watched a gameplay-video from 3 weeks ago, I think it wasn't an old version.

maltrain

Lol, I get the feeling some are getting a bit ahead of themselves. All Sony have done so far is talk with Rocket. I doubt there's any signed deal yet, especially when they're concentrating on the PC version. I also doubt they have the capacity to release a console version by launch window (Sony could do it themselves in-house I guess).

I think the best sign we have is that Bohemia Interactive have plans for the PS4. That's it.

So Sony talked with Bohemia and Rocket... and the guy says the port is "almost certain"... and you think people is a bit ahead of themselves?

By the way, a launch window? Certainly not. An E3 announcement? Well... I could bet for it.

maltrain

Blame me, but I never saw or played DayZ. So now I watched 30 mins gameplay and I can't understand how this game can be called "good".
The idea is fantastic, but there're bugs everywhere. Not even the animations are correct, which destroys the game completely for me...

Will the "real" game be any better than the mod or is it the same only on a disc?
If the game itself wouldn't be such a mess (broken animations, endless spawn in the same area (?), etc) I would probably love it...

And since I watched a gameplay-video from 3 weeks ago, I think it wasn't an old version.

Of course it has bugs everywhere... it's a mod.

And this is a standalone game, so they're developing it. In fact, it was dated for last spring (fall in USA) but it was delayed for some reason...

Tratorn

Of course it has bugs everywhere... it's a mod.

And this is a standalone game, so they're developing it. In fact, it was dated for last spring (fall in USA) but it was delayed for some reason...

Ok thanks, then i'm really looking forward to it now.
Did they release some gameplay-videos/trailers for the standalone game already?

Slair

If you look at the DayZ mod on a purely superficial basis it's pretty bad, but the moment you experience and realise that the kind of experiences DayZ delivers that you don't quite get in any other game, you'd see why it's so popular. The mod was never intended for this popularity, so fixing things like animations, zombie pathing and spawning were outside the scope of the mod and outside of the scope of actually being fixed without complete access to the engine. This is why they game is currently being made into a standalone game, developed from
nearly
the ground up to fix all the crazy shit that is wrong with the game.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Play the game. You'll quickly understand.

It's widely beloved despite it's glaring flaws that are mostly attributed to the engine, that should say something about the quality of the core gameplay that keeps people coming back.
Roaming around the enormous wasteland whispering with friends on voicechat, scavenging food and items with the ever-present danger of the zombie horde and other survivors is an experience that very few games have been able to pull off like this.

It also incorporates lots of mechanics that underline the feeling of actual human survival. The sound you make when you walk, your visibility to enemies, vehicles that need fuel and repairs, tools, weapons, hunger, thirst, medical supplies, the list goes on and on.
Every encounter is intense, because if you die, you lose it all.

Top Bottom