• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ creator: Sony interested in PS4 DayZ port

"Certainly I think if we don't, for want of a better word 'fuck up,' the PC release then I would say a console port is almost certain," Hall revealed. "I know a lot of people get really hot and bothered about it. Like, I'm not a console gamer, I'm a PC gamer, but I don't think it necessarily has to hurt things."

But what consoles would be likely to see a DayZ title in the future? At the moment it seems like the PS4 may be the leading candidate. "It appears to be the kind of game that Sony are interested in, I think we just have to wait and see," he continued. "We've talked and met with Sony, and they're very - you know, they're obviously interested."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123007-DayZ-Creator-A-Console-Port-is-Almost-Certain

I guess that explains the "DayZ100" username during the PS Meeting.

jwk94

Do it! Please do it!

EDIT:
If it were to make the jump to the PS4, do you guys think Sony would allow mods and KB&M support like UT3?

Great now hes gonna dumb down the pc version.

Thankfully Arma 3 is just around the corner and the modding community will outdo rocket, only a matter of time.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Sony is interested in everything, I'm surprised they haven't posted in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread yet.

Thoraxes

It'd be weird to see it without custom server mods, but I suppose a vanilla version could work for some people.

I always confuse DayZ with TheWarZ :/ (I guess that was kind of the idea with the latter, wasn't it?)

This is pretty cool, though I imagine they're going to be tweaking the stand-alone version for a while to get it right.

Spinluck

I always thought this filler username was weird.

xl_ps4ui.jpg

Probably doesn't mean shit, but out of all the PSN usernames you could use for demonstration purposes you choose that? Lol.

My biggest problem with dayz became the hacking epidemic and poor admins on some servers. It ultimately led me to just wait for the standalone (whether that'll stop hackers etc is something else).

Would a console version make this problem much less problematic, even nonexistent? I think I would trade modability for playability.

stryke

My biggest problem with dayz became the hacking epidemic and poor admins on some servers. It ultimately led me to just wait for the standalone (whether that'll stop hackers etc is something else).

Would a console version make this problem much less problematic, even nonexistent? I think I would trade modability for playability.

The hacking problems stemmed from the inherent modability/scripting nature of the engine the original Arma II game was running on. Making it into a standalone should have eliminated these vulnerabilities and moving a lot of the things to server-side. Granted, there will still be hackers, but I don't think you'll see anymore than the amount you see on BF3 or other PC MP games.

Not much can be said for PS4 till it's out in the wild.

sony has done some drastic changes to the publishing system that is causing all indies to jump on board.

free devkits? no release costs to PSN? something!

sappyday

I always thought this filler username was weird.

xl_ps4ui.jpg

Probably doesn't mean shit, but out of all the PSN usernames you could use for demonstration purposes you choose that? Lol.
Never realized this.

I've always wanted to play DayZ so I'll get it for sure.

eot

Banned
Awesome news. I wonder if there will be an offline mode for it if it happens.

Hmm, that'd be weird. Being multiplayer is so fundamental to what it is. It affects the game even when you're not directly interacting with other players. If you fire your gun you might reveal your position to another player, same with running across a field or looting a high value area. It is what gives the game tension, it's like a large scale PvP stealth game. Well it's more than that, but it can be that. You can't make an AI that will stalk you for 10 minutes and then rob you at gunpoint, or note the location of your hideout and wait until all your friends return and kill them.

Superflat

Hmm, well me getting a PC version is pretty much confirmed since a lot of my PC buddies have been planning on grouping up once it comes out.

Great news if it gets on PS4 though since there are plenty of console only players out there who should experience it. I might even double dip when I get a PS4.

Top Bottom