• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - Official 1.16 Update Teaser Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

DayZ's 1.16 Stability update is available now, bringing a new firearm, along with a variety of fixes and adjustments which are aimed at numerous balancing and gameplay issues. Check out the latest trailer for the game.

Kupfer

Wow, this is supposed to be an official teaser? What year is it - 2002 ? It makes me cringe and confirms once again that the developers behind it didn't hear the shot. A golden desert eagle? Slow motion camera movements, bursting concrete à la Matrix? Did a 12 year old take over the direction of the teaser? I love Dayz mod, 2012 was a terrific year and I never had such a multiplayer experience again. I spent hundreds of hours in the mod and met many new people through the game. It was rough, kinda worked, not well, but kinda. You could excuse it and overlook it, after all it was a free mod.

The standalone version, on the other hand, came out way too early, had a lot of content, was buggy and ran poorly. Over the years and updates, the game's tech has improved, You can now really roam Chernarus in buttery smooth 60fps and the map also looks great and offers great enhancements unlike the original Chernarus.

However, the game has drastically changed direction. The loot economy, the associated hoarding of rare items, players who dominate the map because they graze the loot spawns as a group and you as a lone wolf has almost no chance to position yourself well. Even if you set up a small stash somewhere in the forest, it is found within a short time and emptied. In the mod it was also like that, but then it was not so idle to get good items. I could hit the NWA in an hour well equipped and fight. Meanwhile you can be glad to still be alive after an hour and have a Makarov with 3 rounds in the magazine. It's become idle and the focus of exciting player interactions, because everyone was set up somewhat equally, has shifted to being mostly shot by other militarygeared players - because they can. There's not much chatting or interacting anymore. No more helicopters that always made you look for cover in shock whenever one approached you, no more civilian planes that you could find randomly, ready to fly, and just do a lap around the map. As a good pilot, an excellent way to get from A to B quickly. Not even bikes. Miss those ghillie suited AS50 bike riding squads. Not to mention the cheaters, who really took all the fun out of the game for me, because it's just not worth it to lie in wait when someone can see exactly where you are and with which gear. In addition, there is a tedious and complicated base building system, which is not possible for a player who wants to play for 1 or 2 hours in the evening, because the grind is much too time-consuming and 90% of the time you die before you can build anything useful.
The mod had it's roots in a military sim and plays like that, I had the most exciting fights in this game, because it depended a lot on tactics, communication with the teammates and not so much on the equipment. The standalone is now just very tough to play and has so many mechanics that distract from the coregameplay of the mod.

/rant

Will download the patch asap and play Dayz again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom