• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Comics is About to Give Us a Black Batman

Nymphae

Banned

The hot gossip coming out of comic book shows this weekend from a number of prominent sources, is that in the summer of 2020 leading into 2021, DC Comics is planning to bring us a black Batman. Not Bruce Wayne, but someone else donning the cowl and cape.

Marvel Comics has given us a black/Latino Spider-Man with Miles Morales, popularised in the Into The Spider-Verse movie. Sam Wilson took on the role of Captain America, reflected in the Avengers: Endgame movie. And Nick Fury has been replaced in the Marvel Universe by his black son, Nick Fury, Jr, reflecting the casting of Samuel L Jackson in the Marvel movies. While in Doomsday Clock, DC Comics’ unauthorised sequel to Watchmen, the new Rorschach is a black man, and son of the original Rorschach’s psychiatrist. It looks like the mainstream DC Comics Universe may be heading in a similar direction with Batman. Could this also find itself reflected in the DC movies?

Wow such a bold, fresh, totally unique direction.

I don't see the issue. It's a different character. This would be like getting mad about James Rhodes being Iron Man in place of Tony Stark. Sometimes you change things up for a story arc.

The left will turn see this is huge progress when it's more of a marketing ploy than anything while the right will cry about forced diversity when it's nothing to get in a fuss about. Same goes for a black woman playing a 007. Seems like a great idea and in the context of the universe it makes sense.

Last edited:

Cravis

So stupid. Why not create a new character? As far as being progressive this isn’t it. It’s a marketing gimmick.

After the hype and fuss have died down Batman will be white again and the POC version will be forgotten. Had they created a new POC hero they would at least be able to exist.

Only way Marvel gets away with it with Spider-Man is because there’s already been a long established lineage of clones and alternate spider men in multiverses. DC stop trying to be Marvel. Do your own thing FFS.

I figure this is just proof that Bendis will be writing Batman soon. It doesn’t matter in the long run, 2 years max and Bruce Wayne will be back.

NeoGiffer

batman-06___Super_Portrait.jpg

1-Brampton-Batman-Accueil-Google-Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Marvel Comics has given us a black/Latino Spider-Man with Miles Morales, popularised in the Into The Spider-Verse movie.
lol yes instead of getting bit in a science lab he's bit while painting graffiti. cos you know black people and their graffiti!
Sam Wilson took on the role of Captain America, reflected in the Avengers: Endgame movie
coincidentally he's not going to be black Captain America in the movies, just for tv, in a show that still calls him The Falcon! hey, you get a black Captain America, but we won't call him that! what a victory!

man imagine if they ever got decent writers to do this shit. instead it's just half measures and marketing spin.

The Snake

I read Batman religiously. I'm fine with this. Bruce Wayne is not the only Batman, and he hasn't been for a long, long time.

Even his dad is Batman now.

Jon Neu

Banned
Same goes for a black woman playing a 007. Seems like a great idea

source.gif

hile the right will cry about forced diversity when it's nothing to get in a fuss about

I'm a leftist and yes, this is forced diversity.

It always baffles me the "nothing to get in a fuss about" crowd. They are the ones coming to do the damage control and willing to defend it no matter what, for something that they claim it's not that important.

Doom85

I would imagine it's Batwing, granted I've yet to read any of his stuff but since he's an established character it makes more sense for him than just some rando unless there's been a recent new character I'm not familiar with. I know they mentioned Black Lightning* but I think it'd be weird for Batman to have superpowers, you know?

I mean, an unestablished character can work, in fact I think part of what made Miles' intro interesting was the fact that he had to prove himself worthy of the mantle since no one knew him, but generally it works better if it's someone Bruce actually knew, like when Dick took on the mantle for a while.

*speaking of Black Lightning, I know he got a live-action series, but I really wish Black Lightning had gotten an animated series based off the DC Nation animated shorts of him and his two daughters. Would have made for a fun The Incredibles-style show. The DC Nation Amethyst shorts were pretty sold too, could have been a cool series as well.

Xiaoki

So stupid. Why not create a new character? As far as being progressive this isn’t it. It’s a marketing gimmick.

After the hype and fuss have died down Batman will be white again and the POC version will be forgotten. Had they created a new POC hero they would at least be able to exist.

Only way Marvel gets away with it with Spider-Man is because there’s already been a long established lineage of clones and alternate spider men in multiverses. DC stop trying to be Marvel. Do your own thing FFS.
They did create a new character: Duke Thomas. He's been a part of the "Bat Family" for years now.

When Dick Grayson became Batman for a bit no one gave a shit. People sort of cared when Azrael took over as Batman but only because of the bad writing. But now that its a person of color and you get posts like this.

This isnt the first time someone else has been Batman and it wont be the last time either, but it is the first time for a black man and thats really only reason people ignorant to the comics care about it now.

Saber

Gold Member
I remember one of a bunch of recently Batman animated movies. One that has a lot of Batmans and batwomen.

One of them was the son of a man who works for Bruce Wayne, both black. I think this movie was more based on the recent batman movies.

Jon Neu

Banned
They did create a new character: Duke Thomas. He's been a part of the "Bat Family" for years now.

When Dick Grayson became Batman for a bit no one gave a shit. People sort of cared when Azrael took over as Batman but only because of the bad writing. But now that its a person of color and you get posts like this.

This isnt the first time someone else has been Batman and it wont be the last time either, but it is the first time for a black man and thats really only reason people ignorant to the comics care about it now.

They also made Nick Fury black in the comics. Still stupid and forced diversity pandering.

But yeah, we are all racist and we all hate black people.

My favourite superhero is Spawn/Al Simmons, by the way.

hqdefault.jpg

Ryllix_

They are doing this exactly right if this is true. Don't make it Bruce Wayne. A new guy who is Batman. Nothing wrong with that and it can be something interesting to mix up the same old origin story

Atrus

Gold Member
Considering the character of Batman is a guy mostly enclosed in a suit that hides in shadows, I’m not sure how his race would play into it.

Batman Incorporated and Batman of All Nations had all sorts of Batman variants from different ethnicities and cultures.

I can’t recall a specific Black Batman off the top of my head but Azrael is kind of close isn’t he?

Edit: Ah... forgot Batwing. He was in a recent animated film too if I’m not mistaken; Batman: Bad Blood.

Last edited:

tkscz

latest

They already did that. In fact, he isn't gone, Batwing is still in the comics as we speak. Not only Batwing either

aqepox5zloeglcnipshw.png

But Signal as well

Edit; Oh, the article comes from Bleeding Cool. Not the best source. At least they did point out Batwing and Signal.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
They are replacing Terry in Batman Beyond too with a woman.

Bruce Wayne has been replaced before. If it's the original character who was Batwing then that's good. If it's some OC out of no where that's bad.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
In a vacuum, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with having a black Batman. I think only a very, very small percentage of people would disagree.

In today’s world, it comes off as a gimmick to jump aboard the misguided social justice train to score some diversity points and prove they aren’t racist.

I don't see the issue. It's a different character. This would be like getting mad about James Rhodes being Iron Man in place of Tony Stark. Sometimes you change things up for a story arc.

The left will turn see this is huge progress when it's more of a marketing ploy than anything while the right will cry about forced diversity when it's nothing to get in a fuss about. Same goes for a black woman playing a 007. Seems like a great idea and in the context of the universe it makes sense.

This post is one hundred percent on the mark and basically should end the thread, imo.

Teletraan1

Banned
I don't like any tokenism or gender swaps. It is the definition of lazy pandering. Make new characters or use the stable of already existing black/female characters that are just costume change bootlegs anyway.

plushyp

I'm in the minority that loved Dick Grayson as Batman and prefer him over Bruce Wayne. We got some really fun stories like The Black Mirror and Grant Morr. B&R.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Im ok with a black Batman. I’m not ok with a bright fucking yellow Batman. So if they can make Black Batman also black I’d be totally interested.

Oh trust me, nobody should want a bright yellow Batman.

batman-paints-a-room-yellow-for-green-lantern-3.jpg

All Star Batman fucking suuuuucked.

Last edited:
Dozens of characters have taken up the mantle. This is no different.

Pretty sure Azrael (who is black) was Batman at one point as well.
Edit: Turns out there are two Azraels - one white and one black. The white one was the one who took up the mantle. Oops.

Last edited:
Top Bottom