• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gred Rucka's current run of Wonder Woman might be the best in years. With this comic being so good I can only hope the movie will deliver too.

It's the best it's been since Rucka's last run. I can't remember when was the last time that the two best superhero monthlies were Superman and Wonder Woman. Rebirth has done wonders for those titles.

And yeah, Deathstroke is great. It had a rough start but now Priest is delivering.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe this has already been discussed but if Aquaman and Hellblazer get cancelled I guess the runs never had anything to do with the central mystery?

Ross61

Maybe this has already been discussed but if Aquaman and Hellblazer get cancelled I guess the runs never had anything to do with the central mystery?
Aquaman definitely not getting cancelled. Plus Geoff John's eventually gonna come back to cowrite Rise of The Seven Seas. That and them playing up the reintroduction of Kaldur'ahm/Jackson Hyde should pick up the sales some.

kmfdmpig

Having read atleast a few issues of everything (except Harley Quinn, I honestly could not get past the first issue) my top 5 DC Rebirth books are:
Batman
Detective Comics
Wonder Woman
Superman
Deathstroke

I had to make some painful drops along the way, like The Flash and Aquaman, but if I'm not immediately excited to read a certain book then its not worth spending so much money on monthly/bimonthly.

Tom King is amazing. Vision is mindblowingly fantastic.

Mine would probably be similar:

Superman
Detective Comics
Wonder Woman
Batman
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps or New Super-Man or Deathstroke would be fifth.

I can't remember the last time that Superman was a top-tier book other than All-Star Superman.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Read up to issue 5 of Desthstroke after initially dropping it. Everybody was right. It got a LOT better.

Feel like (for me) it'll read better if I read two issues together or trade wait.

GeeTeeCee

Here's a tip for anyone picking up this week's Batman Annual: the first story is improved 1000-fold if you imagine Bruce and Alfred have the voices of Archer and his butler Woodhouse.

I dropped Aquaman because it was just the same shit from the New 52

I thought Abnett was doing something with Aquaman to expand his kingdom at first and then we got stuck in a 12 issue plus redo of Throne of Atlantis. I still like the book but wish he would get past this stuff already and delve more into Atlantis politics and exploring the sea.

MC_Hify

Anyone know how the non-Rebirth branded superhero stuff fits into the Rebirth world (Midnighter and Apollo, Raven, Young Animal)?

Ross61

Anyone know how the non-Rebirth branded superhero stuff fits into the Rebirth world (Midnighter and Apollo, Raven, Young Animal)?
Midnighter and Apollo are on the fringes, Raven is a gap between Teen Titans New 52 and Teen Titans Rebirth, and Young Animal definitely exist on the fringes of the current DC world.

GeeTeeCee

Deathstroke is still delivering. Superior storytelling and action. It's equal parts excellent superhero story and thrilling espionage drama.

Teen Titans look to be picking up a new member:

http://www.newsarama.com/32425-march-2017-dc-rebirth-solicitations.html
TeenTitans6.jpg

TheFlow

Banned
Yea I am excited for that teen titans arc.

Guys I just read most of red hood and it is amazing. Crazy how titles that were average to crappy are now among the best in the game

Man I hope the stuff going on with Catwoman in Batman is wrapped up in the last part of "I am Suicide" tomorrow.
and by that I mean
Catwoman was lying, and they finally have a legitimate relationship for as long as DC will allow it.

Suicide Squad / Justice League is actually solid so far. Way more coherent than Justice League was when I dropped it after the first arc. Looks like we're going to get at least a bit of metaplot info too.

Man I hope the stuff going on with Catwoman in Batman is wrapped up in the last part of "I am Suicide" tomorrow.
and by that I mean
Catwoman was lying, and they finally have a legitimate relationship for as long as DC will allow it.

You get half so far but the next issue is focused on them.

Suicide Squad / Justice League is actually solid so far. Way more coherent than Justice League was when I dropped it after the first arc. Looks like we're going to get at least a bit of metaplot info too.

You get half so far but the next issue is focused on them.

They really need a new creative team for JL. A writer who's an actual writer would be a good step. Hitch, buddy, I love ya, but it's just not your forte.

MartyStu

and by that I mean

Would be nice to see Batman
in a stable relationship. Having a son never really changed the main Batbook all that much. Neither should this.

Would be nice to see Batman
in a stable relationship. Having a son never really changed the main Batbook all that much. Neither should this.
Honestly its a good development for both characters
It doesn't hurt either character, they aren't suddenly going to lose motivation or anything.
You could also have them two being the Dynamic Duo for a while.

DC could also bring her own title back and not worry much about it with Batman co-starring often.
Also make it kind of like a full batbook yet from Selina's outside->now core perspective

Not to mention stuff like Damian's reaction to potentially his stepmom down the line,
or heck most of the DC Universe's reaction

Like I know its comic books and they don't like this stuff, im not even asking for everything to be peachy or to even last that long.
I'd be fine with like a 6 month shot.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Excited to read JL/SS later. Dropped JL so didn't pick that up this week, the book's been shite.

What strange world is this that both Deathstroke and Red Hood and the Outlaws are two of the best books being published in Rebirth right now? Even weirder Lobdell is the writer for RHATO. He was so bad before? What the hell changed?

TheFlow

Banned
What strange world is this that both Deathstroke and Red Hood and the Outlaws are two of the best books being published in Rebirth right now? Even weirder Lobdell is the writer for RHATO. He was so bad before? What the hell changed?

he got a second chance.

I love RHATO right now.

he got a second chance.

I love RHATO right now.

He had several. RHATO and Teen Titans were both his in the New 52 and people hated them. I kinda liked RHATO as a batshit insane 1990s throwback, but I never considered it actually good. This series is night and day from what I remember. Great characterization, but I think the MVP is the art. Holy shit it's good.

Any popular theories on what might be next for the kidnapped Tim Drake? I've only been casually following what is going in Rebirth and Tim is one of my fav DC characters

He had several. RHATO and Teen Titans were both his in the New 52 and people hated them. I kinda liked RHATO as a batshit insane 1990s throwback, but I never considered it actually good. This series is night and day from what I remember. Great characterization, but I think the MVP is the art. Holy shit it's good.

Jason seemed to suffer from deeply inconsistent views at DC about whether he was a Villain, Anti-Villain or Anti-Hero AND about what his relationship with other members of the Bats was like in Nu52 where he'd bounce between his pre-Nu52 envy / hate of Tim and his post-52 thing of having the most respected for Tim. It seems like one of the things they did with Rebirth is got everyone on the same page for characters which is just good generally but it's particularly good for Jason.

TheFlow

Banned
Jason seems to be more anti hero now.

He also shows admiration for the other robins like dick.

I hope Lobdell can finally push Jason to the next level.

tim1138

It's the Rebirth effect. Percy's DCYou Green Arrow run was awful, but now it's one of the best books they publish.

while we're at it what's going on with the whole 3 different Jokers?

You would have thought head Batman writer Scott Snyder would have been involved with that, especially considering how much he loves Joker. Maybe that's the big Batman event he's doing next year with Greg Capullo.

TheFlow

Banned
yep green arrow has 3 rotating artist that are all great. the art style changes have gotten more consistent as well so now it is is not every other issue.

Ross61

You would have thought head Batman writer Scott Snyder would have been involved with that, especially considering how much he loves Joker. Maybe that's the big Batman event he's doing next year with Greg Capullo.

It's not a matter of who's involved, just when to tackle it.

Jason seems to be more anti hero now.

He also shows admiration for the other robins like dick.

I hope Lobdell can finally push Jason to the next level.

That thing with Bizarro already pushed him to that next stage for me.
This run is definitely my favorite I have ever seen of Red Hood.

Penguin

I like how DC has been reverting stuff to the status quo without making a big deal about it or fans complaining

Lois and Clark
Dianna and Steve
Nightwing in the Blud

I like the idea of setting up the Suicide Squad as big time rivals to the Justice League. DC needs that kind of dynamic. They'd need to up their power levels though, they're full of street-level villains right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom