• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC releases "Doomsday Clock" sneak preview

Alienous

My guess on how Rorschach is alive?

This Rorschach is Nite Owl and the original is still dead

I like the sound of that. In support of that theory
he doesn't look as short next to the inmate as I'd expect Rorschach to, but its hard to tell as the inmate isn't standing upright

the guys at Under The Hood are pointing out some cool layout parallels between this and Watchmen #1

Bonus cool facts:
-
The title of #1, "An Annihilated Place" is a reference to Horace Smith's "Ozymandias", written at around the same time and about the same topic as the slightly more famous "Ozymandias" by Shelley
-
The issue takes place in November of 1992, which is the month when Superman died

That second one is indeed very interesting given some theories.

CazTGG

Better yet, from the panel:

Not much of a surprise, this is canon after all:

3XapiY0.gif

Zubz

Banned
Wow, that was unsettling. I'm all well & good with this, though. I'm disappointed the ambiguous ending is gone, but even if I wasn't alive for it, this opening definitely feels like it's matching the Cold War era urgency of the original, just recontextualized for the modern day.

While I'm not overly keen on the exploitation of Watchmen, getting Gary Frank was a hell of a good choice. And that
National News Network
bit was eerily effective.

SaviourMK2

I don't know what it is about Rorshach, I like him, but I also hate him.
Maybe I just disapprove of his methods?

whipihguh

Banned
...I'm actually kind of interested in this. Worried about them crossing the two universes over, but I really like those first couple of pages.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I don't know what it is about Rorshach, I like him, but I also hate him.
Maybe I just disapprove of his methods?

Rorschach is a terrible person. You're not supposed to like him. But he's a great character with believable motivations, which is not the same thing as being likeable.

Rorschach is not apolitical, he's a right-wing nut.

someone on another forum suggested that Rorschach really is dead and that's Nite Owl or someone else in his costume, which isn't too implausible, but still... why would you even use the Rorschach name and costume if you want to use him as the mouthpiece for a view so diametrically opposed to his original characterization

The end is nigh. You have my attention DC. I don't like Rorschach has been overused lately, but honestly I expected it.

I haven't really been paying attention to the DC universe as of late but will this be part of their current continuity or is it a standalone storyline?

Current continuity. I'm sure it's gonna lead to some kind of restart again though.

Ahasverus

That felt like Watchmen... Which is a miracle.

Let's see if the feeling continues when red capes start to appear. So far, so good.

someone on another forum suggested that Rorschach really is dead and that's Nite Owl or someone else in his costume, which isn't too implausible, but still... why would you even use the Rorschach name and costume if you want to use him as the mouthpiece for a view so diametrically opposed to his original characterization

It’s likely Rorshach's journal was in some way key to exposing Veidt, giving his name and identity some cachet. We’ll see.

The smart move would be for this story's Rorschach to be a copycat as a bit of metacommentary about how the character inspired a rise in the type of hardline objectivist bordering on fascist superheroes that the original was meant to satirize. Knowing DC, though, it'll probably be the original who's alive because reasons so DC can maximize profits off this dumb idea.

Too on the nose? Sorry was Trump president when Watchmen came out?

these little snippets lead to poor conversation.
yes, it feels like it's just going to ape today's social and political upheaval and slap the watchmen name on it. I'm fine with that but it felt sloppy from this preview. I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CHANGE MY MIND .
when the first issue comes out and I read it hopefully I will feel different about it. I'm still hyped.

The art looks nice and I am definitely intrigued with what's going to happen, but I'm going to be angry if DC ends up retroactively cheapening what is one of the greatest graphic novels of all time with their shenanigans.

Khansolo1

I really want to read this event, but don’t really know where to start and don’t really know what’s going on in the DC universe (other than the Batman Metal storyline)
Does dc have a equivalent service like Marvel unlimited? Also is there a event guide on what book to read?

Dalek

I really want to read this event, but don’t really know where to start and don’t really know what’s going on in the DC universe (other than the Batman Metal storyline)
Does dc have a equivalent service like Marvel unlimited? Also is there a event guide on what book to read?

Sadly they do not have a MU like service. However if you want to get caught up for this TECHNICALLY all you really need to know so far is Rebirth #1 and The Button.

Neophant

Very impressed with how the book is shaping up. Apparently you can read Doomsday Clock without having to read any separate tie-ins or be part of a major crossover. I'm very skeptical of any writer deciding that he or she needs to be the one to write a spiritual successor to what many comic fans view as the holy grail of graphic novels, but Geoff Johns is one of the few writers who I think has the chops to pull it off. He's not afraid from shying from some really dark stuff, and arguably I would say that DC's entire M.O. could be found in his writings all the way back when he started writing JSA and Green Lantern.

VeeP

Know DC service sadly :(. Just post here or make a thread and we'll do what we can to help you out!

So, what you should read imo for this event is:

Watchmen
DC Rebirth

That's pretty much it. If you want some other recommendations on DC books go to the comics OT in off topic or just search off topic for Rebirth, a thread should pop up.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Very impressed with how the book is shaping up. Apparently you can read Doomsday Clock without having to read any separate tie-ins or be part of a major crossover. I'm very skeptical of any writer deciding that he or she needs to be the one to write a spiritual successor to what many comic fans view as the holy grail of graphic novels, but Geoff Johns is one of the few writers who I think has the chops to pull it off. He's not afraid from shying from some really dark stuff, and arguably I would say that DC's entire M.O. could be found in his writings all the way back when he started writing JSA and Green Lantern.

People sleeping on Johns cracks me up. He wrote an interquel to Kingdom Come that took place during Kingdom Come while also writing a JSA story while also setting up a Legion of Superheroes event comic.

Dude is the perfect guy to handle this.

Shauni

People sleeping on Johns cracks me up. He wrote an interquel to Kingdom Come that took place during Kingdom Come while also writing a JSA story while also setting up a Legion of Superheroes event comic.

Dude is the perfect guy to handle this.

In what way is any of that a good qualifier for writing this book lol? None of that is like Watchmen at all

I liked a good deal of some Johns's stuff in the past, but I thought he took a massive dive around the New 52 period. Not really read any of his recent stuff, though.

DeathyBoy

Banned
In what way is any of that a good qualifier for writing this book lol? None of that is like Watchmen at all

I liked a good deal of some Johns's stuff in the past, but I thought he took a massive dive around the New 52 period. Not really read any of his recent stuff, though.

The fact that he wrote a follow up to an acclaimed book while giving core characters time to shine and respecting the original material so much that he didn't actually change anything about it is pretty damn relevant.

I mean I know we're all meant to go "fuck Watchmen," like we don't live in a world where Moore has distorted other people's characters from their original intent for profit, but even so...

DC is going to release their free yearly guide in november, available in comic-book shops and the comixology app. That should give you all the necessary pointers. But basically, read Watchmen and the Rebirth special.

Shauni

The fact that he wrote a follow up to an acclaimed book while giving core characters time to shine and respecting the original material so much that he didn't actually change anything about it is pretty damn relevant.

Sure, but neither Kingom Come nor his run on JSA was like Watchmen at all, so it feels like a pointless qualifier for this specific project. If you just want to say he's a good writer, then sure, or he was. Like I said, I don't know about his recent output. I hope it's back to where he was before New 52 (and slightly before that tbh).

I mean I know we're all meant to go "fuck Watchmen," like we don't live in a world where Moore has distorted other people's characters from their original intent for profit, but even so...

Okay, alright? Cool story? Not sure what that has to do with anything I said lol

VeeP

Sure, but neither Kingom Come nor his run on JSA was like Watchmen at all, so it feels like a pointless qualifier for this specific project. If you just want to say he's a good writer, then sure, or he was. Like I said, I don't know about his recent output. I hope it's back to where he was before New 52 (and slightly before that tbh).

He’s still a good writer. Rebirth was excellent. And tbh I really enjoyed Darkseid War.

The smart move would be for this story's Rorschach to be a copycat as a bit of metacommentary about how the character inspired a rise in the type of hardline objectivist bordering on fascist superheroes that the original was meant to satirize. Knowing DC, though, it'll probably be the original who's alive because reasons so DC can maximize profits off this dumb idea.
Seeing alt right people going ”What?! The Watchmen would 100% be for Trump!” is amazing.
they mention how they discovered the journal and were able to decrypt it
And a page previously released had Batman find it on DC’s Earth in the modern day.

Top Bottom