• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Universe Online |OT| The next legend is YOU!

Nightz

2w20k89.png

Official Site: http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/
Developer: Sony Online Entertainment
Platforms: PC and PS3
Genre: MMO
Release Dates: January 11, 2011 (US), January 12, 2011 (Europe/Asia/Africa), January 14, 2011 (UK)

View Cinematic Trailer

What is it?
DC Universe Online is the only next-generation massively multiplayer online action game that delivers unparalleled physics-powered combat set in the DC Universe. This genre-defining game puts the power of theDC Super Heroes and villains into the palm of your hands…The next legend is YOU!

• Experience the power of visceral combat where you control every blow your character strikes, delivering a level of action that is unparalleled in the MMO segment.
  • Choose your side, superhero or villain, as you battle to save or conquer the universe.
  • Fight alongside or against your favorite DC heroes and villains including Batman, The Joker, Superman, Wonder Woman and others…The next legend is YOU!
  • Experience the intensity of a world created in the artistic vision of legendary comic book artist Jim Lee.
  • Take advantage of the state-of-the-art physics engine and use objects in the world around you as weapons, including even your enemies!
  • Players will create their own DC-style hero or villain, each with a unique look and combination of superpowers.
  • Embark on heroic or villainous story-driven adventures penned by famous DC writers including Geoff Johns and Marv Wolfman.
  • Gameplay is optimized for both the PS3 computer entertainment system and PC.
  • Explore the DC Universe; walk the darkened streets of Gotham City, investigate the mysteries of the futuristic cityscape of Metropolis and travel to legendary locations including Arkham Asylum and the Justice League of America Watchtower.

Mentors
In DCUO, you can fight besides your favorite heroes or villains. You can pick one of your them as your mentor and they will provide you with quests to help them fight the enemy. The three mentors for the Heroes are Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman and the three for the Villains are Joker, Lex Luthor and Circe. (Bios taken from the DCUO website)

6Tvr8.png

Batman
Young Bruce Wayne was started on his path to justice when his parents were gunned down in Gotham City's infamous Crime Alley. Now known and feared by criminals everywhere, Batman is a strategic mentor for the new generation of tech heroes. Batman's trust is not earned easily, but you will become his valued partner as he calls on you to battle the chaos in Gotham City.

As his deadly nemesis, The Joker, spreads his evil, the Dark Knight will soon learn that you are a hero he can trust with his secrets.

Superman
Sent to Earth from the dying planet Krypton, Superman's Kryptonian physiology grants him tremendous powers under Earth's yellow sun. Now Earth's mightiest protector is the mentor for all new meta heroes and he will be your guide from the start as a fellow defender of truth and justice. He will guide you as you join his battle against archrival Lex Luthor, who seeks to control all superhuman powers.

And in the final battle, Superman's greatest ally will be you.

Wonder Woman
Created by the magic of the Olympian Gods on the enchanted isle of Themyscira, Princess Diana leads the fearless Amazons into battle. As an ambassador for peace and freedom, she gladly mentors the new magic heroes. She will rely on you to fight at her side against the lies and tyranny of the evil goddess Circe, who seeks to rule the world with magic.

And when Wonder Woman must contemplate sacrificing all to save the realms of magic, she will need you as her champion to stand against evil.

md3Dj.png

Joker
Rumor has it that the Clown Prince of Crime was once an ordinary man, caught in a vat of deadly chemicals that altered his body and mind. Now certifiably psychopathic, The Joker is a chaotic, maniacal mentor to all new tech villains.

His insane obsession with creating the ultimate weapon against Batman drives The Joker to new levels of destruction - with you along for the ride. But when it looks like The Joker is administering his final bow, he will need you to ensure he can deliver the ultimate punch line.

Lex Luthor
Ruthless megalomaniac Lex Luthor heads the massively powerful conglomerate LexCorp, using his riches for one goal: to defeat Superman and take his place. This criminal genius now mentors all of the new meta villains in their quest for power.

Under his lead, you will learn how to exploit all superpowers, with the goal of controlling and ruling the world. You will join his crusade against the "so-called heroes." And when push comes to shove, you will have your chance to show Luthor exactly how you eliminate anyone standing in your way.

Circe
One of the Olympian Gods, Circe is a creature of lies and deceit who believes magic will rule all of reality. She leads her army of vicious Bestiamorphs against any who defy her might. Now she eagerly mentors all new magic villains, seeking to build their power and her own.

Circe will rally you at her side against Wonder Woman and the heroes who would share magic with mortal humans. And when Circe herself is caught up in her own quest for power, she will learn that you too are a master of deceit.

qC3yr.png

Fire
fire_power.png

Players who choose to wield the wild and unpredictable forces of fire have to be tough. Fire characters like to get up front and blast away at enemies, and therefore they tend to draw a lot of attention. They also want to spread their flames so they can do as much damage to groups as possible. Fire powers have two distinct specializations:

Immolation
Immolation powers cause flames to well up around your character, causing damage to anyone in the vicinity. Immolation abilities also bolster your will to win, adding an extra element to help in combat.​

Ignition
Flames burst forth, searing your opponents and their nearby allies. The damage from ignition powers become multiplied when used in tandem with other fire powers.​

Ice
ice_power.png

Characters that choose to master subzero temperatures make for challenging foes. During combat, ice wielders have the ability to lock down opponents who come within their chilling reach. These characters want to armor up and keep their enemies on ice through two unique paths:

Cryogenics
Ice forms around you and enemy attacks don't seem to land. By using your powers to create defenses for yourself, you are a master of mitigating damage. When the occasional attack does strike true, the cold is passed on to your attacker, often freezing them in their tracks.

Storm
Icy winds dance at your command, allowing you to push and pull enemies around the battlefield. No one can escape your arctic blasts, which allows you to control the direction of the fight.​

Mental
mental_power.png

Characters with the mental superpower are masters of mind over matter. Using their unique abilities, they can move objects with a thought to defend themselves or damage an enemy. They can also use the force of their will in more subtle ways, such as creating illusions to disorient and confuse. Mental characters love to be where the action is and control the battlefield with their minds. Mental powered characters can travel two mind-bending paths:

Telekinesis
With the brute force of your will, you can create force fields that encase enemies or send them flying down the street. Lift that car beside you and slam it down on an enemy without moving a muscle.

Illusion
By using your mental powers it is easy to make an enemy think you are someone else, creating opportunities for surprise attacks. Such power can even make an opponent think they see something that isn't there.​

Nature
nature_power.png

Characters that choose the nature power will find themselves masters over primal forces. Nature characters draw upon these forces to keep their allies alive or wither their enemies away. When the battle gets really tough, they can also let the call of the wild surge through them and actually become a beast full of rage, cunning and animal instincts. Nature powers grow along two distinct branches:

Shapeshifting
Nature powers allow you to shift into beast forms. You will experience the rage of a gorilla, the cunning and savagery of a wolf, or the hive mind of an insect. Abilities and movement powers change with each form, allowing you to adapt to each situation and terrain.

Plants
Using your powers over plants, you will be able to heal your allies or poison your foes with thorny vines and pollinating flowers. Your enemies might feel a small sting at first, but as time goes on your unleashed toxins eat away your opponents.​

Sorcery
sorcery_power.png

Characters who wield the unseen forces of the universe hold the power of life and death in their hands. Sorcerers can doom enemies to failure or ensure their allies have the power to carry on the fight. They are ideal for combat support, often tipping the balance of a fight with their spells. Arcane powers often fall into two categories:

Summoning
Drawn to your power, arcane creatures never leave your side. Choose wisely which pet you summon, for each will behave according to the mystic forces that created it. Whether attacking, defending, or performing some other fantastic feat, they are completely at your service.

Destiny
The fate of many rests in your hands as you change the course of battle. Generate good or bad karma for you, your allies, or foes. Gathering these positive and negative energies allows you to elevate or enfeeble those around you.​

Gadgets
gadget_power.png

Characters with the gadget power will find themselves pulling out all manner of devices from their pockets and pouches. On the front lines, a well-placed gadget will help you control not only the enemy but the battlefield itself. Gadget characters are crafty and use their heads to place their devices strategically to achieve victory. The gadgeteer has two unique paths to follow:

Tricks
Tricks are devices that you place in plain sight to deceive the enemy. By placing tricks, you cause the enemy to waste time and create openings for you and your team to seize victory.

Traps
Traps are devious devices that remain hidden until sprung. Traps are stealthy devices that appear out of seemingly nowhere and cause devastating damage.​

NBYKh.png

Superspeed
hsyGk.png

Speedsters travel through the streets of Gotham City and Metropolis at an incredible velocity. Those with Superspeed movement reach such tremendous acceleration that they can even run up the sides of buildings, up walls or across ceilings. Traveling long city blocks to get to the action becomes a cinch with this movement mode. In combat, speedsters become deadly whirlwinds using their quickness to move in and out of range with ease and special attacks to stun and disorient enemies. If you're a fan of The Flash, or any of the other speedsters in the DC Universe, then tap into the Speedforce and choose Superspeed for your movement power.

Acrobatics
ywnwG.png

Acrobats are master aerialists and climbers who use their skills to vault across the rooftops of Gotham City and Metropolis with seemingly effortless grace. Acrobats are able to climb and cling to any surface, giving them a unique way to approach both movement and combat. Using a Grapple Line, Acrobats can quickly ascend tall buildings and traverse the gap between skyscrapers. And for movement across the massive cityscapes, Acrobats can even glide across the sky after leaping from vast heights. In combat, the Acrobat's agility is unmatched, with special combat moves designed to draw enemies in close to deliver precision attacks. If you like Batman, choose Acrobatics as your movement mode and start leaping your way to justice or chaos.

Flight
loPHC.png

Fliers soar over the skyscrapers of Metropolis and Gotham City, swooping down to engage their enemies with devastating attacks. There is no place out of reach for fliers, who are able to traverse any environment with ease. Those with Flight movement have their own special combat moves designed to stun enemies or knock them senseless. Using the environment around them, fliers can turn almost anything into aerial projectiles to defend the innocent or destroy the city. If you want to feel the freedom and exhilaration of hovering over the entire city like Superman, waiting for your opportunity to strike your foes, then Flight is the movement power for you.

9WC1n.png

One-Handed
onehanded_weapon.png

Masters of one-handed combat wield their weapons with a mix of precision and strength. They execute quickstrong swings to create openings, before unleashing powerful assaults. Masters of one-handed weapons include Hawkman, Deathstroke, and Ra's Al Ghu l.

Hand Blaster
handblaster_weapon.png

Wielders of amazing abilities, hand blasters hurl their power at their foes with a thrust of their arms or a wave of their hands. Their ranged attacks are chained together with grace and power to keep their enemies at bay, and they excel at charging up their attacks to put even more strength into each blast. Powerful hand blasters in the DC Universe include Doctor Fate, Starfire, and Killer Frost.

Bow
bow_weapon.png

Archers wield their bow with shocking speed, precision, and power. Combat with a bow is an improvised flurry of ranged attacks with arrows or bludgeoning attacks with the bow itself when the fighting gets in close. Archers are very unpredictable and can use their trick shots to take most enemies by surprise from any distance. Masters of the bow include Green Arrow, Speedy, and Merlyn.

Brawling
brawling_weapon.png

Brawlers are powerful fighters that sacrifice technique for brute strength. Brawlers hold nothing back as they batter their opponents with punches that could knock a normal person down the block. Titanic brawlers include Superman, Wonder Woman, Doomsday, and Bane.

Dual Pistols
dualpistols_weapon.png

Master sharpshooters wield two pistols as if they were a natural part of themselves. Using their shooting skills to chain together deadly attacks at range, wielders can also use the pistols as melee weapons in close combat. Dual-pistol wielders can lay down fire in many directions to keep multiple enemies jumping for cover. Deadeye marksmen include the likes of Arsenal, Captain Cold, Two-Face, and Mirror Master.

Duel Wield
dualwield_weapon.png

Characters that dual wield melee weapons make every movement a potential attack. Dual-wielding characters spin, flip, and unleash a flurry of blinding strikes in a series of timed attacks that keep opponents reeling. They are excellent at fighting multiple opponents and can easily keep a group of enemies at bay. Nightwing is the ultimate example of a master dual wielder.

Martial Arts
martialarts_weapon.png

Martial arts fighters strike with speed and fury. They dart in close, strike from all angles, and string together combinations of punches and kicks. Martial artists are the most defensive fighting style, as they can dodge and block while executing various counterattacks. Martial arts masters in the DC Universe include Batman, Black Canary, Catwoman, and Lady Shiva.

Rifle
rifle_weapon.png

Precision attacks from rifle users can come in many forms and at many distances. Rifle users can attack from a safe position at range or use their weapon to bludgeon opponents that manage to get close. They have an array of ammunition and weapon types, from grenades and sniper shots even up to flamethrowers. Masters of the rifle include Arsenal and Mister Freeze.

Staff
staff_weapon.png

Wielders of the staff whirl their weapons with blinding speed and force. They strike at their foes with combinations of sweeping arcs, spins, and twirling motions. They are masters of keeping the battlefield under control with stunning efficiency. Expert staff fighters include Robin and The Huntress.

Two-Handed
twohanded_weapon.png

Colossal attacks are the usual fare for two-handed weapon masters. Two-handed weapon fighters use mass and reach to their advantage as they swing, slam, and smash their weapons in a series of slow but powerful attacks. Legendary wielders of two-handed weapons include Steel and Harley Quinn.

Screenshots

Thanks to yencid for the help on the OP.

Nightz

GAF Official Servers
PC PvE - Zero Hour
PC PvP - Death and Glory
PS3 PvE - Redemption
PS3 PvP - The Killing Joke

Useful Guides
Official Guide PC
Official Guide PS3
Mentors, Origins, and Iconic Armor Guide
Things I wish I knew when I started playing DCUO
A Guide to Weapon/Role Synergy

Useful Commands
/say - Say something to anyone in your local area
/s - Same as /say
/groupsay - Say something to members of your group
/group - Same as /groupsay
/g - Same as /groupsay
/party - Same as /groupsay
/p - Same as /groupsay
/tell [name] - Send a private message to another person (use quotes around names with a space)
/t - Same as /tell
/reply - Send a private message to the last person that sent you a private message
/r - Same as /reply
/shout - Shout a message to everyone in the same region (like say but broader)
/invite [name] - Invite another person to join a group with you (no quotes needed)
/leave - Leave your current group
/kick [name] - Kick the specified person from your group (no quotes needed; must be leader)
/promote [name] - Promote the specified person to be the group leader (no quotes needed; must be leader)

GAF DCUO Player Database
PC
Submission Form
Viewable Spreadsheet

PS3
N.A. Submission Form | Euro Submission Form
N.A. Database | Euro Database

Thanks to Killthee for the PS3 spreadsheets!

How much will a subscription cost?

US Subscription Packages:
1 Month - $14.99
3 Month - $41.99
6 Month - $77.99
12 Month - $134.99
Lifetime Subscription - $199.99 (Available on PC only)

Europe/PAL Subscription Packages:
1 Month - €12.99
3 Month - €34.99
6 Month - €64.99
12 Month - €124.99 (Available on PC only)
Lifetime Subscription - €179.99 (Available on PC only)

What are the PC requirements?

Minimum
Windows XP 32 bit
P4 3.0 GHz or AMD equivalent
NVIDIA 7800+ or ATI 1950+ Video Card
1 GB of RAM
30 GB of Free Hard Drive Space

Recommended
Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7
3.0 GHZ CPU Dual Core Processor
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800GTX+ or ATI 3800 series+ Video Card
30 GB of Free Hard Drive Space

Gameplay Vids
TotalBiscuit (with hilarious commentary)

jogarrr

I'm pretty excited for this. It plays really well as an action MMO and it's probably the only MMO I've ever played where I really enjoy PVP.

PC version, PVE server for me. Sucks I couldn't afford the lifetime sub right now.

FredFish

I'll be getting the PS3 version. I like the PvP but will roll on a PvE server to avoid any griefing headaches when I just want to bum around and do missions or collect stuff

I'm a little surprised at my hype level even though I enjoyed the beta. Really looking forward to Tuesday

Ponn

Banned
I decided against my better judgement to jump in right away. Can't pass up the Amazon discount on the CE edition and despite the freezes I really freaking enjoyed the beta.

Will be playing on PS3, I have a bluetooth headset but never got a chance to group and try it out. Hoping someone here makes a good guy league for us, my psn id is Ponnimus. I will probably stick with a speedster hero. It was freaking cool running across water.

Shurs

Still haven't made up my mind on this one.

I requested a review copy too late to be accommodated.

I may pick it up anyway.

With no MMO experience it seems like it would be an interesting game to write about, and I assume I'd get enough playtime in the first free month to make it worthwhile.

ferr

Just pre-loaded this on steam. Mostly bought it based on what seemed to be a lot of positive feedback in the beta OT.

hermit7

FredFish said:
I'll be getting the PS3 version. I like the PvP but will roll on a PvE server to avoid any griefing headaches when I just want to bum around and do missions or collect stuff

I'm a little surprised at my hype level even though I enjoyed the beta. Really looking forward to Tuesday

I am not sure if there will be a distinction between PvP and PvE in the final game. Thought it was just for the Beta.

Nice job with the OP, I'm glad I wasn't left todo it.

2 things

1 - Add TB's beta playthrough vids to the OP.
2 - Change the title to DC Universe Online |OT| of Culturing you Bastards with Fire. :lol

Hope this game lives up to expectations.

ChronicleX said:
Nice job with the OP, I'm glad I wasn't left todo it.

2 things

1 - Add TB's beta playthrough vids to the OP.
2 - Change the title to DC Universe Online |OT| of Culturing you Bastards with Fire. :lol

Hope this game lives up to expectations.

who is this TB and where can i find his or her videos?

Nightz said:
Sure, got a link to those?

www.youtube.com/user/totalhalibut

Once you watch video 2 onwards, you'll know why I want the title changed :lol

Anyways since the price is the same on steam, I get a preload bonus, and the game at the same time as the rest of Europe instead of the 14th so my idea for a character will NOT be stolen, I just went ahead and bought it on steam. However I am not found of the 12hour or so download I'll have to contend with due to my crap net :lol

Stupid question, you can team up with other people and do missions in this like any MMO? All of the videos I have seen on youtube have been people soloing the game. Either that or people are choosing to solo the game.

FeD.nL

I'm must say this thread raised my interest, started watching some youtube movies and i'm totally hyped now. I love how the combat system looks. I'm thinking to get it for the ps3, can someone who was in the ps3 beta give me some impressions (ie. how it played, stabilty, looks, framerate etc.)? It would be greatly appreciated.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Looks like the day 1 patch for PC is live. If you have the Steam version pre-loaded you can download the patch by going to the install folder (default location is C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\DC Universe Online) and launching launchpad.exe.

jogarrr

Killthee said:
Looks like the day 1 patch for PC is live. If you have the Steam version pre-loaded you can download the patch by going to the install folder (default location is C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\DC Universe Online) and launching launchpad.exe.

Thanks for pointing this out. Glad they're letting us patch early.

EDIT: 8.8 GB patch btw

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Put me down for the PS3 version.

I think the game is an expansion or two away from really being great but I can't deny how much fun I had with the beta.

lol my friend picked up the game on Friday and was super hyped to get it early, and texted me a few hours later "the servers aren't up :("
:lol

Anyway, I'm still debating whether I should jump in or not. If I do though, it'll be PS3 for sure. Is GAF rolling PvE?

Killthee

Revolutionary said:
lol my friend picked up the game on Friday and was super hyped to get it early, and texted me a few hours later "the servers aren't up :("
:lol

Anyway, I'm still debating whether I should jump in or not. If I do though, it'll be PS3 for sure. Is GAF rolling PvE?
I think I'm gonna try to split my slots between PvE and PvP. Even with all the shitty ganking in the PvP servers, I feel the danger of coming face to face with an opposing faction member adds something to the game that is missing from the PvE servers with it's PvP switch. Plus it's really cool when both sides team up for a bounty only to clash against each other once the bounty is killed.

Hammer

Looking forward to a solid action mmo. Add me to the list, I will be picking this one up Tuesday morning for the ps3. Haven't been in a Gaf guild since AoC, so really hoping you guys roll pvp. :D

EDIT: PSN: Hammer0982

Chamber said:
Put me down for the PS3 version.

I think the game is an expansion or two away from really being great but I can't deny how much fun I had with the beta.

That was so true. I just hated the level cap and watching Level 30 Corps member messing me up. Are people going as Heroes or Villains? I'm sticking to the Villains route with my first character.

Nakazato

jdogmoney said:
I've never played an mmo before, but I'm really thinking about jumping in with this one. What do you think?
do it. its very noobie friendly. hell it plays more like a .hack game

Killthee

For anyone who might have missed it, D2D has the PC version for $35 right now if you use the checkout code wootdc.

20110110-d3d4ntwynxn1bwcy6nyikamhri.jpg

Sheppard said:
The patch thing is great. Is there a way to get it if you didn't get it from steam?
You don't really need a Steam purchase you just need a key and some sort of installation (either physical retail or preload [no idea if the D2D preload will work]). Once you have it installed, go to the installation folder and launch the launchpad.exe.

Supposedly the PC client download is already floating around somewhere in the internet, there was a thread on DCUSource with download links that got removed by a mod. You probably won't be able to download the patch without redeeming your key first, but if the vanilla client is already floating around then it won't be long before someone uploads the patched client.

Randy said:
Are there patch notes released?
I haven't seen any and I'm guessing we probably won't get any until the official forums return on launch day.

Top Bottom