• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC's "Dark Days"/"Dark Knights: Metal"event SPOILER thread

Dalek

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8xOTQvODQwL29yaWdpbmFsL0RhcmtfTmlnaHRzLU1FVEFMX1Byb21vLmpwZz8xNDkxMTU1Njg4
The "prelude" to DC's newest event has started. The main event will be called "Dark Nights: Metal" and the two prelude comics that are out now: Dark Days: The Forge and Dark Days: The Casting.

In press release, DC said Dark Nights: Metal will "examine every choice a hero doesn’t take and every path they don’t walk, and open up worlds that are forged by nightmares."

As to what the main storyline is about-most of it is mysterious now-but revolves around Batman's investigation into mysterious DC elements like the Nth Metal and Dionesium and it's ties to the overall Universe/Multiverse.

However in the preludes themselves-some really crazy stuff has happened, and that's why this spoiler thread is here-to discuss the "bat"shit crazy revelations that have occurred.

Discuss away!

Dalek

Here's a CBR article that detailed what happened in The Forge:

http://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-dark-nights-metal-crisis/

Dark Days: The Forge lived up to it’s name by revealing, oh, about thirty different proverbial irons DC Comics has been keeping in the fire. With a cascade of new information and returning faces, the road map for the highly anticipated Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo helmed Dark Nights: Metal is starting to make itself more and more clear.

But more importantly, though Snyder is on record that Metal is not a capital-C Crisis, it’s more obvious than ever that it’s going to be on the same scale as those sorts of DC events.

Let’s take a look at what we know, and what it all means.

PLAYING IN TUNE
With the help of Scott Free (making a major return just in time for his Tom King and Mitch Gerads-helmed solo series, no doubt) Batman is able to recover an item he’s, apparently, been keeping stored away deep within the vaults of Superman’s Fortress of Solitude.

The “item” is actually a giant golden tower that may or may not look familiar to long time DC readers as a “cosmic tuning fork” straight off the pages of Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Dark-Days-The-Forge-Page-28-Multiversal-Tuning-Fork-Crisis.jpg

So yes, Batman kept the Anti-Monitor's tower from Crisis.

Don’t worry, if you found yourself scratching your head at that reveal, you’re most certainly not alone. It’s been over a decade since we’ve seen anything like it.

Here’s the Cliff Notes version of what it is, and where it comes from:

As part of the original Monitor’s plan to “reconcile” the multiverse that was being eaten away by anti-matter he placed these tuning forks across multiple Earths and sent heroes to go defend them from anti-matter shadow demons. The Monitor’s theory here was that these tuning forks would allow him to align the vibrational patterns of these disparate Earths and save them from the encroaching nothingness that threatened them.

RELATED: DC Comics’ Dark Days: The Forge, Annotated – Part 2

Much later, during Infinite Crisis, one of these tuning forks would make a reappearance, this time combined with another Crisis on Infinite Earths holdover, the corpse of the Anti-Monitor. In this event, Alexander Luthor, Jr. (a hero from Earth-3) planned on using the power of the tuning fork and the Anti-Monitor to resurrect some of the Earths that had been erased out of the Multiverse back in the original Crisis.

You might be recognizing a reoccurring theme here. Every time one of these golden pylons ends up in play, the stakes are almost immediately elevated to cosmic status.

And with cosmic stakes on the table, a Crisis-level event can’t be too far away.

Of course, we’re left with some questions about just how Batman got his hands on the tuning fork in the first place, or where it may have came from — whether it’s a relic from the Monitor or Alexander Luthor, or somehow, neither. But as Mr. Miracle advises, regardless of where the tuning for came from, it’s absolutely dangerous, and probably better left alone.

Which, of course, means Batman is going to continue to experiment with it.

crisis2.jpg

Kurdel

Banned
This all sounds like my cup of tea! I didn’t understand much from the first comic, I guess I have some homework to do to appreciate this event!

Dalek

This all sounds like my cup of tea! I didn’t understand much from the first comic, I guess I have some homework to do to appreciate this event!

Yeah, especially with today's issue of The Casting, it seems that stuff from Final Crisis/Morrison's Batman run is coming back.

There is SO MUCH in these two issues it's insane. Can't wait for the event proper.

Also I appreciate you not using the horns cover.

Kurdel

Banned
Yeah, especially with today's issue of The Casting, it seems that stuff from Final Crisis/Morrison's Batman run is coming back.

Thanks! I got caught up on Marvel pver the last 2 years, tackling DC is a bit intimidating with all the Crisis and multiverse business. I’ll check out Final Crisis!

DeathyBoy

Banned
But without the drug-fueled glorious nonsense that fueled Final Crisis and Seven Soldiers. I don't know, I'm not really feeling this event so far. But I'll keep an open mind until the first issue of Dark Nights at least.

Morrison Batman was some goat shit. Dark and grim and colourful and goofy at the same time. RIP was a masterpiece.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I was hyped before but I didn't like The Forge at all, so now I'm a bit apprehensive.

Dalek

So to recap the big story points so far-I need your help:

1. Batman has the Multiverse Tower hidden under the Fortress of Solitude
2. Batman has "a" Joker locked away in a secret cell deep inside the Batcave. This Joker seems to know a lot about what's going on with this series/metal/multiverse stuff. Duke and Hal Jordan find him and he escapes after revealing some secrets.
3. Batman has a lunar base where he meets with Mister Terrific. He has sent out The Outsiders to explore the Multiverse. Additionally, on the base he presumably has Plastic Man in some kind of stasis.
4. The Gods have left earth to avoid some Dark event coming.
5. Duke is a meta. Batmen knew about this ahead of time. Metas can be created similar to Inhumans with terrigenesis. Duke's mother had some kind of involvement with meta's previously.
6. Deep below the earth we see the God enemy that Darkseid sent after Batman from Final Crisis and it appears with other versions of Batman.
7. There are hints of something called the Dark Multiverse.
8. Talia was in possesion of an ancient dagger with mystical metal that has a Shazam symbol on it.

All the Hawkman stuff I'm not clear on as I don't understand Hawk-lore.

2. Batman has "a" Joker locked away in a secret cell deep inside the Batcave. This Joker seems to know a lot about what's going on with this series/metal/multiverse stuff.
3. Batman has a lunar base where he meets with Mister Terrific. He has sent out The Outsiders to explore the Multiverse. Additionally, on the base he presumably has Plastic Man in some kind of stasis.
5. Duke is a meta. Batmen knew about this ahead of time. Metas can be created similar to Inhumans with terrigenesis. Duke's mother had some kind of involvement with meta's previously.
6. Deep below the earth we see the God enemy that Darkseid sent after Batman from Final Crisis and it appears with other versions of Batman.
Hawkman and Hawk got the planets immortals to tell them about their memories and what seems to be the Wizard from Shazam shown them something that freak them out. Them they sent the Challengers of the Unknown on a mission to find more information about the metal.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
There is a lot of Morrison stuff in the two issues.

Ooo like what?

But without the drug-induced glorious nonsense that fueled Final Crisis and Seven Soldiers. I don't know, I'm not really feeling this event so far. But I'll keep an open mind until the first issue of Dark Nights at least.

Morrison Batman was some goat shit. Dark and grim and colourful and goofy at the same time. RIP was a masterpiece.

You're good people.

2. Batman has "a" Joker locked away in a secret cell deep inside the Batcave. This Joker seems to know a lot about what's going on with this series/metal/multiverse stuff. Duke and Hal Jordan find him and he escapes after revealing some secrets.
8. Talia was in possesion of an ancient dagger with mystical metal that has a Shazam symbol on it.

All the Hawkman stuff I'm not clear on as I don't understand Hawk-lore.

And this metal has been used in a lot of stuff of importance, in various numbered forms. Hope it's limited to 'well they found it useful' rather than 'source of all their powers' or some such.

Also, I realise that the Wizard/Shazam is back to his pre-New 52 look. That's... interesting to consider, given that (in part because of the continued lack of use for Billy and co) I don't believe there's been any indication that aspect of continuity has changed of late.

Goodstyle

I love Snyder's ideas and story direction, but sometimes his dialogue can be clumsily exposition-y. Also, the 3 Jokers thing is stupid and will never not be stupid.

Snyder interview with the DC blog.

Another with CBR.

So one of the big reveals in The Casting is all about the Wizard and the Marvel family — We definitely see a dagger in there with the insignia on it, too. Even though it's in Black Adam's colors, I've gotta ask: are we about to see Billy Batson's Rebirth return?

Yeah, you might! Geoff has been incredibly generous with letting us work in the sandbox that he designed. You're already seeing things like — that is straight-up the Wizard, there's no doubt about it, you know? And that is straight-up a dagger that has to do with Black Adam and Captain Marvel. That's definitely what those things are. Similarly, that's Plastic Man in the egg. But! There's something else inside of Plastic Man that you don't even know yet!

I want [Metal] to be like that, where you're like, ”Shut up! This is an awesome, I love it!" And then I get to be like ”Well... guess what else?"

I really want that palpable fun where you pick it up and you feel like ”this is why I read comics as a kid." I feel like this mood is why there's such a harkening back to '80s stuff right now. The '80s weren't so great, but you want to go back to the things that you loved at a dark time to really remember you enjoyed and that you can enjoy that stuff again.

Dalek

That's a great interview and really spells this out.

More than anything, I feel like The Casting gives us a sense of how big this story truly is. Is DARK NIGHTS: METAL Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo’s CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS?

Well, it’s pretty close. I would say that it’s like if we were tasked with doing a Crisis, but one that didn’t need to go back and explain or repair continuity, just because I think Geoff [Johns] has done such a good job with that, both with DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH and with what he has coming with DOOMSDAY CLOCK. For us, it’s a question of how do we do something new that feels like it has that level of drama and excitement?

Instead of going back to Earth-2 or Alexander Luthor—all the stuff that I love in previous Crisis events—this was about creating a brand new territory. What if there’s an area of the Multiverse that remains completely unknown and unexplored? Our heroes open a door to it and it comes here to destroy everything. What about something we’ve never seen before? What about a being as old as the Monitor and the Anti-Monitor that we didn’t know about? What about a whole set of realities that are a vast roiling ocean of possibility that we’ve never even laid eyes on, something that is all around us at all times, like dark matter and dark energy?

In other words, if we can do a Crisis-type story, but it doesn’t depend on the pieces that we’ve always used for those and instead creates new pieces, then it felt right.

MartyStu

So Snyder is channeling Morrison?

Sign me up.

I have issues with both Snyder and Morrison, but Snyder cosplaying as Morrison could work for me.

He definitely plays a role. I don’t want to give it away, but as somebody who’s one of these very old characters, he has sort of a key part. The characters that have seen it all, from Vandal Savage to the Immortal Men, Resurrection Man, Uncle Sam, they have scope on this story, so I wanted to include them in different ways. There will be some surprising ones coming in as well. I’m really excited that this story can encompass those characters. I want them to have a strong role, and that includes the al Ghuls. They play a part
I wonder if these people were in the cloaks.

Afrodium

Banned
This event is dope already.

The Bat cave people are from Morrison's run, right? At least I think the Batman cave drawing is.

Loona

And this metal has been used in a lot of stuff of importance, in various numbered forms. Hope it's limited to 'well they found it useful' rather than 'source of all their powers' or some such.

Also, I realise that the Wizard/Shazam is back to his pre-New 52 look. That's... interesting to consider, given that (in part because of the continued lack of use for Billy and co) I don't believe there's been any indication that aspect of continuity has changed of late.

This now has my interest.

"Similarly, that’s Plastic Man in the egg. But! There’s something else inside of Plastic Man that you don’t even know yet!" - if multiverse shenanigans and the captain Marvel mythos is involved, now I'm wondering if they're using Plastic Man to contain Mr Mind or something, considering how much he expanded in that 52 event and how that affected the multiverse then...

This now has my interest.

"Similarly, that’s Plastic Man in the egg. But! There’s something else inside of Plastic Man that you don’t even know yet!" - if multiverse shenanigans and the captain Marvel mythos is involved, now I'm wondering if they're using Plastic Man to contain Mr Mind or something, considering how much he expanded in that 52 event and how that affected the multiverse then...

Simultaneously, Sivana finding Mr Mind in the Rock of Eternity was the 'stinger' of the Curse of Shazam comic, but that never went anywhere. So him being involved here so as to retcon that leading up to this (instead of a planned Shazam series that Johns just refused to write) wouldn't surprise me.

Though, I do wonder what else Plastic Man could be containing...

Top Bottom