• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC's "Dark Days"/"Dark Knights: Metal"event SPOILER thread

My god but a lot of stuff happened this issue. Lighter on DC continuity but heavy on weirdness of its own.

So, basic speculation on what we got... superpowers, and possibly a majority of magical artifacts, are tied into this mystery metal, which SEEMS to be from another dimension. Probably the Dark Multiverse we've seen mentioned.

Speaking of the Dark Multiverse, it'd kind of looking like Snyder's setting up an interesting take on an Extinction Trap scenario, where higher progress destroys civilization but expanded to include the entire multiverse, apparently.

Meanwhile, Joker seems to be stuck in a time loop.

The Hawks got tied back to the Batman RIP Cave-Batman material. Interestingly, the actual Bat-Clan seems to have been morphed into villains.

Curiously, we've gotten a look at two seemingly distinct major antagonists - the "True Father of Batman" who looks suspiciously like Darkseid in a hood, and the giant three eyed demon thing. Could be a riff on Final Crisis, which split between Darkseid and Mandrakk in a similar way.

I wonder if these people were in the cloaks.

Savage and Sam are more or less explicitly called out when the Immortals were being described.

My god but a lot of stuff happened this issue. Lighter on DC continuity but heavy on weirdness of its own.

So, basic speculation on what we got... superpowers, and possibly a majority of magical artifacts, are tied into this mystery metal, which SEEMS to be from another dimension. Probably the Dark Multiverse we've seen mentioned.

Speaking of the Dark Multiverse, it'd kind of looking like Snyder's setting up an interesting take on an Extinction Trap scenario, where higher progress destroys civilization but expanded to include the entire multiverse, apparently.

Meanwhile, Joker seems to be stuck in a time loop.

The Hawks got tied back to the Batman RIP Cave-Batman material. Interestingly, the actual Bat-Clan seems to have been morphed into villains.

Curiously, we've gotten a look at two seemingly distinct major antagonists - the "True Father of Batman" who looks suspiciously like Darkseid in a hood, and the giant three eyed demon thing. Could be a riff on Final Crisis, which split between Darkseid and Mandrakk in a similar way.

Savage and Sam are more or less explicitly called out when the Immortals were being described.
I sorta of figured that out after thinking on it. I'm trying to figure out who else was there. We know that both Savage and the Immortal Man, Uncle Sam, Mary, Queen of Blood, the Wizard, Etrigan, the Shining Knight, Phantom Stranger, people part of the Parliament of Trees and Ras' Al Ghul are there. But there some that I cannot figure out.

Despero is probably showing up as a villain since his whole body is Nth Metal now and he killed Hawkman in his recent mini-series.

Sounds like we're getting a Signal/Duke Thomas book announced at SDCC by someone from Snyder's workshop as part of the Dark Matter line.

Ross61

Despero is probably showing up as a villain since his whole body is Nth Metal now and he killed Hawkman in his recent mini-series.

Sounds like we're getting a Signal/Duke Thomas book announced at SDCC by someone from Snyder's workshop as part of the Dark Matter line.
Of the alumni I can think of, it's probably: Al Letson, Tony Patrick, or Vita Ayal.

Machine

I wonder if these people were in the cloaks.

On the page where it talks about bringing the immortals together and shows the group in cloaks, it specifically mentions cavemen (Vandal Savage and Immortal Man) and a man as old as America (Uncle Sam). Others in the cloaked group seem to include Kain and Abel (brothers who keep secrets and mysteries), Etrigan (rhyming demon), Swamp Thing (grove of humanoid plants), a version of Shining Knight (Sir Justin or Ystina?), the Phantom Stranger, Shazam and Doctor Fate (sorcerors). Ras Al Ghul is shown talking to Ms. Seward who is the vampire Bloody Mary. Resurrection Man was sort of a successor to Immortal Man so he may be there too.

On the page where it talks about bringing the immortals together and shows the group in cloaks, it specifically mentions cavemen (Vandal Savage and Immortal Man) and a man as old as America (Uncle Sam). Others in the cloaked group seem to include Kain and Abel (brothers who keep secrets and mysteries), Etrigan (rhyming demon), Swamp Thing (grove of humanoid plants), a version of Shining Knight (Sir Justin or Ystina?), the Phantom Stranger, Shazam and Doctor Fate (sorcerors). Ras Al Ghul is shown talking to Ms. Seward who is the vampire Bloody Mary. Resurrection Man was sort of a successor to Immortal Man so he may be there too.
I forgot about Fate, Resurrection Man and Kain and Abel. I pretty figure out the rest from my post above.

Loona

Simultaneously, Sivana finding Mr Mind in the Rock of Eternity was the 'stinger' of the Curse of Shazam comic, but that never went anywhere. So him being involved here so as to retcon that leading up to this (instead of a planned Shazam series that Johns just refused to write) wouldn't surprise me.

This in turn makes me wonder if there's something to the classic wizard Shazam appearing here, while as far as I know, in the current continuity/universe, his counterpart was that aboriginal guy from Johns' Curse of Shazam and a follow-up story or two... I wonder if they dropped that and the replacement of the entities that the SHAZAM acronym was modified into...

This in turn makes me wonder if there's something to the classic wizard Shazam appearing here, while as far as I know, in the current continuity/universe, his counterpart was that aboriginal guy from Johns' Curse of Shazam and a follow-up story or two... I wonder if they dropped that and the replacement of the entities that the SHAZAM acronym was modified into...

I can't remember if Billy's powers went back to normal after Darkseid War. The idea of him bulding his own collection of gods was a neat one, but like everything to do with Shazam in current continuity, a lack of own series would have stifled the ability to explore that beyond immediate conception.

6njrk.jpg
The only one missing is the Bat Who laughs and his Robin.

Glix

I really don't like the Dark Batmen designs, but this creative team gets blind trust from me. I didn't like the Superheavy design at first either.

Excited!

I wonder if DC had to get
Neil Gaiman's
permission to use that.

They're
hinting at some kind of Vertigo thing for next year with a date mentioned being 8/8. Gaiman has also been mentioned as part of the same initiative that Snyder is doing ASB's next arc/book in. You might also remember Killer Frost being mentioned as a "sister" of someone who looks like Destiny in the JLA flash forward at the start of the book.

Dalek

They're
hinting at some kind of Vertigo thing for next year with a date mentioned being 8/8. Gaiman has also been mentioned as part of the same initiative that Snyder is doing ASB's next arc/book in. You might also remember Killer Frost being mentioned as a "sister" of someone who looks like Destiny in the JLA flash forward at the start of the book.

Oh that's right-I forgot about that...

They're
Wasn't there a problem with the Suicide Squad Black Files that Gaiman didn't like?

This is all leading to a Watchmen-centric Event, I take it.

Nope, that's happening in a year long miniseries by Geoff Johns that starts later this year featuring Superman, the JL and the blue hand AKA Manhattan on Mars. It takes place a year after the current events but by the time issue 12 comes out the rest of the universe will have caught up to it.

Vic_Viper

They're

Is this implying that the rest of Snyder's All Star Batman run might be switching to Vertigo? Have they given any more information as to what the project will be and what kind of format it will take?

Do I need to read Multiversity before this lol? I have such a large backlog, I still havent even finished the Forge and the Casting.

Does neil gaiman own sandman.? I find it wierd that they always ask him for premission because DC and Marvel have never cared about this stuff in the past

Does neil gaiman own sandman.? I find it wierd that they always ask him for premission because DC and Marvel have never cared about this stuff in the past

Gaiman still brings money to Marvel and DC on the reg with a new story here and there. I think they both learned their lesson after fucking Moore over.

This was bonkers.

Apart from the art team being as on point as ever, it was just a wild ride from a story PoV. When the mountain appeared in the middle of Gotham I stared at some invisible camera mouthing "What the fuck...." but the whole thing feels like it's making use of the toybox of the wider DCU (not completely, not yet, but it feels wider in scope) and we're in for a pretty crazy event.

Toyman giving the Justice League an out in his homage to Voltron was pretty cool, too. I'd had Dream's appearance spoiled (by my own volition, mind you) a day or two ago but his appearance at the end still gave me the tingles. Considering you've had things like Dream interacting with the JLA in the Morrison era story (that I think invovled Starro? It's been a LONG time) the interaction isn't new but it reinforces Snyder's promises of scale etc.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason

Sandman is not owned by Gaiman, but getting his seal of approval must be important for DC and their creators considering that Gaiman is "the" driving force behind the franchise.

Penguin

This was bonkers.

Apart from the art team being as on point as ever, it was just a wild ride from a story PoV. When the mountain appeared in the middle of Gotham I stared at some invisible camera mouthing "What the fuck...." but the whole thing feels like it's making use of the toybox of the wider DCU (not completely, not yet, but it feels wider in scope) and we're in for a pretty crazy event.

Toyman giving the Justice League an out in his homage to Voltron was pretty cool, too. I'd had Dream's appearance spoiled (by my own volition, mind you) a day or two ago but his appearance at the end still gave me the tingles. Considering you've had things like Dream interacting with the JLA in the Morrison era story (that I think invovled Starro? It's been a LONG time) the interaction isn't new but it reinforces Snyder's promises of scale etc.

Toyman outdoing his Superman/Batman Composite Robot.

Dalek

Yeah this was fucking great. So much potential here. Crazy to think this will be ongoing until February!

BOOYAH!

Glix

Metal and Doomsday clock are going to be running at the same time, eh?

I wonder if they link to each other. There was a panel in Metal #1 that certainly made it seem like the case.

Dalek

Metal and Doomsday clock are going to be running at the same time, eh?

I wonder if they link to each other. There was a panel in Metal #1 that certainly made it seem like the case.

Even though Doomsday Clock will be releasing in a few months-it will take place one year in the future, which each issue catching up one month closer until it catches up in real time.

Top Bottom