• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

De Mambo (Switch Nindie) - Review Thread

This is a great looking multiplayer Switch title that I've been excited for. But despite my excitement, it completely flew under my radar that it's out tomorrow. So thanks to Jonneh3003 for requesting a review thread and reminding me this exists.

Nintendo Life 8.0: http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/de_mambo
De Mambo does exactly what it is meant to do by taking over your living room and providing you and your family or friends with utter chaos and fun. The core gameplay works a treat and its simplistic control method and ideology suit the game perfectly, resulting in a competitive title that is easy to learn, yet hard to master.

Cubed3 8.0: http://www.cubed3.com/review/4014/1/...do-switch.html
While De Mambo might not be the most friendly platformer or accessible party fighter, its frantic play-style and unsettling atmosphere make it one of the most unique titles available for the Nintendo Switch. A lack of online multiplayer does stick as a rather big disappointment, but the single-player content and local multiplayer more than make up for a lack of global mamboing. Between dance-like controls and a single-player that's equal parts addictive and challenging, De Mambo not only manages to be an engagingly speedy platformer, it excels at it.

NomComms 8.0: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2b6j7FNuJ0

PauseResume 4/5: http://www.pauseresume.com/de-mambo-review/

Nindie Spotlight 7/10: http://www.nindiespotlight.com/2017/...-de-mambo.html

Eurogamer (unscored impressions):
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...annels-the-spirit-of-smash-bros-and-warioware
It's a wonderfully generous game, then, built around that simple idea: a range of one button attacks that more often than not leave you spinning, uncontrollably around a purposefully poky, destructible environment. De Mambo is made with wit and obvious love and a manic sort of energy that is thrilling to witness. It proves, once again, that the best feature the Switch has is that tiny little plastic stand you can pull out at the back to sit the screen upright while you and a bunch of randoms get together and cause havoc.

Destructoid - 7:
https://www.destructoid.com/review-de-mambo-447815.phtml
De Mambo isn't the next big fighting game, nor did it deliver on all its promised content from its Kickstarter as it had been stated there would be a Zelda II-like campaign mode which isn't here, instead replaced by the short stage-based solo mode. That being said, I like De Mambo alright. It's a fun distraction to casually play with friends -- be they competitive or casual -- and will perhaps help hold us all over till a proper Smash Bros. releases on the Switch; much like how the developers waited for a 3DS version. This is one fun little dance.

Metro - 7:
http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/13/de-mambo-review-super-smash-balls-6775239/
In Short: A noble attempt to offer an alternative to Smash Bros., and although there are some mechanical issues the multiplayer is still plenty of fun regardless.
Pros: Four-player competitive mode is great if everyone knows what they’re doing. Solo and survival modes are also entertaining, and the whole package is great value.
Cons: The movement system never quite feels right, and more so because your character is a ball that doesn’t actually move like a ball.

It's a fantastic game guys, it's almost like a mix of Super Smash Bros, Warioware and Super Meat Boy. Thanks for putting up a thread Purseowner!

I may have to check this out, it looks pretty interesting.

Quite a few eShop games seem to be flying under the radar lately... Bulb Boy is what I played most recently that I'm surprised I didn't hear more about. It felt like a cross between Machinarium and Courage the Cowardly Dog and it was an amazing game.

DagsJT

How much will it cost in the UK?

This is the first I've seen of Bulb Boy, I'll have to check that out too.

Giga Man

Um... Is it just me or are your links messed up? I'm being linked to the abbreviation of the URL and not the actual intended URL.

maxcriden

I wasn't aware this had a single player campaign.

Much more interested now.

This may be important for you to know, from the NL review:

"For solo players, being unable to play what is essentially the heart of De Mambo in its main mode makes it impossible to justify a purchase. For people who want to grab some friends and have something to pass the time however, this is a suitable option, even if it maybe won’t keep your attention for hundreds of rounds. The gameplay does eventually get repetitive, although great strides have been taken to ensure this doesn’t happen too quickly and there is definitely much fun to be had here."

"For solo players, being unable to play what is essentially the heart of De Mambo in its main mode makes it impossible to justify a purchase. For people who want to grab some friends and have something to pass the time however, this is a suitable option, even if it maybe won’t keep your attention for hundreds of rounds. The gameplay does eventually get repetitive, although great strides have been taken to ensure this doesn’t happen too quickly and there is definitely much fun to be had here."

Hey! So I'm one third of the team behind De Mambo.

I don't personally agree with that quote. We really tried to make the game single player friendly, as personally I'm less of a multiplayer type of guy.

Two out of the three available modes can be played on your own so I wouldn't say it's 'impossible to justify'.

I think it just depends on the person playing as the Cubed3 reviewer preferred the Solo mode to multiplayer!

I don't personally agree with that quote. We really tried to make the game single player friendly, as personally I'm less of a multiplayer type of guy.

Two out of the three available modes can be played on your own so I wouldn't say it's 'impossible to justify'.

I think it just depends on the person playing as the Cubed3 reviewer preferred the Solo mode to multiplayer!

Given I'll be starting off with single player, this is great to hear.

(And I was very much sold on the game before, but your username just sells me further. :p)

"For solo players, being unable to play what is essentially the heart of De Mambo in its main mode makes it impossible to justify a purchase. For people who want to grab some friends and have something to pass the time however, this is a suitable option, even if it maybe won't keep your attention for hundreds of rounds. The gameplay does eventually get repetitive, although great strides have been taken to ensure this doesn't happen too quickly and there is definitely much fun to be had here."

This portion of the review is silly, reminds me of the Nintendo World Report review for Astro Duel Deluxe that had heaps of praise for the game, but didn't recommend it just because of its single player. If a game does what it sets out to do well - like Astro Duel Deluxe and a fun multiplayer - does it matter if it can't be played in single player?

It'd be like docking Breath of the Wild because of some expectation that all AAA games need a compelling multiplayer mode.

Here's what I wrote about ADD a few months ago:

------

Had a look at some of the reviews and was a bit baffled with the Nintendo World Report one, which essentially praises the game for its multiplayer charms, but docks it for not being a great single player game:

This game is meant to be played with a bunch of friends talking trash and taking each other out. If you find yourself in the company of like-minded friends on a semi-regular basis, this game could provide some great laughs and fun. I absolutely can see where, especially with a bit of liquid enhancement, it could make for a great party game. Unfortunately, if you're generally only going to be able to play the game by yourself, or the people you can play with don't roll retro, it is hard to give it a recommendation. Correctly scoring a game with such a laser-focus on a goal that it hits but that, by design, misses so much of the general audience is a challenge

If A.D.D. succeeds at doing what the devs set out to do - a multiplayer/party game - it feels unfair to take off points because it's not a compelling single player game. The Switch is so young and no one has data on what its general audience likes that it's somewhat disingenuous to assume Astro Duel Deluxe misses the "general audience", surely? It would be wrong to assume that a game has to appeal to a general audience in order to score highly too, sometimes people don't know what they want until they try it.

I'm tempted, there's also Flip Wars. I'm huge on local multiplayer and loved Starwhal, Chomp Chomp Chomp, Runbow and Toto Temple Deluxe on the Wii U. I'm just worried that there will be a big discount soon. I haven't touched Snake Pass yet and it already got a discount :(

maxcriden

Thanks for taking the time to correct that quote. I am glad to hear it and am very much looking forward to playing the game!

This portion of the review is silly, reminds me of the Nintendo World Report review for Astro Duel Deluxe that had heaps of praise for the game, but didn't recommend it just because of its single player. If a game does what it sets out to do well - like Astro Duel Deluxe and a fun multiplayer - does it matter if it can't be played in single player?

It'd be like docking Breath of the Wild because of some expectation that all AAA games need a compelling multiplayer mode.

------

Had a look at some of the reviews and was a bit baffled with the Nintendo World Report one, which essentially praises the game for its multiplayer charms, but docks it for not being a great single player game:

If A.D.D. succeeds at doing what the devs set out to do - a multiplayer/party game - it feels unfair to take off points because it's not a compelling single player game. The Switch is so young and no one has data on what its general audience likes that it's somewhat disingenuous to assume Astro Duel Deluxe misses the "general audience", surely? It would be wrong to assume that a game has to appeal to a general audience in order to score highly too, sometimes people don't know what they want until they try it.

Great points, TTM. Thanks for your post. And it's even more buoyed by the dev's post above refuting the premise of the review comment.

I'm tempted, there's also Flip Wars. I'm huge on local multiplayer and loved Starwhal, Chomp Chomp Chomp, Runbow and Toto Temple Deluxe on the Wii U. I'm just worried that there will be a big discount soon. I haven't touched Snake Pass yet and it already got a discount :(

I've spent far more time with De Mambo than I have Flip Wars, both are fun but I would lean towards De Mambo.

Astro Duel is also very good, we wanted to play a quick round before Mario Kart, but we didn't get to that and just kept playing. Flip Wars doesn't look any fun to me...

Downloaded De Mambo late night yesterday and played alone for a bit. Looking forward to trying Multiplayer!

Levels + is also a nice puzzle game albeit very basic.

Given I'll be starting off with single player, this is great to hear.

(And I was very much sold on the game before, but your username just sells me further. :p)

Jodo for life!

------

Great points!

Thanks for taking the time to correct that quote. I am glad to hear it and am very much looking forward to playing the game!

Great points, TTM. Thanks for your post. And it's even more buoyed by the dev's post above refuting the premise of the review comment.

Great!

I've spent far more time with De Mambo than I have Flip Wars, both are fun but I would lean towards De Mambo.

Thanks guys for the kind words and I hope you enjoy the game or continue to!!

NimbusD

any idea when this is gonna be up in the US store today? Excited for this and Death Squared. great indie release day as far as Im concerned.

NimbusD

Well now htat i have it.... I like it I think? Single player is tough, haven't played multi yet. Was waiting to get home to play with pro controller thinking it would have better controls... nah. It's worse actually cuz my d-pad is one of the bad ones and I cant turn off up being jump (the control 'options' are just diagrams of different ways you can use the same control scheme with little jokes).

I do have to say, I really with the movement was either analog or a little less twitchy. I really can't reliably make super simple jumps because you go from 0 to 60 so fast. the one button attack doesnt feel as simple as it sounded, but Im sure Ill get used to that.

Anyway Im sure Ill get plenty of playtime out of this even if Im iffy on how it controls.

VICI0US

Just snagged it, I'm always down for more fun local multiplayer games. Nintend + steam link make my game nights a blast.

There was a booth to play the game at the Hyper Japan event this weekend so I went hands on with it as I was on the fence but always thought this looked intriguing.

I've got to say, the multiplayer in this game delivers and I'm not even a Smash fan. Played with two groups of three people I hadn't met before and within moments we were laughing and discovering all sorts of tricks and cool things you can do. One person spent most maps camping only to realise you get less points for KOs.

Because all the maps we played had plenty of destructible elements you're always kept on your toes too. It actually reminded me a lot of Bomberman - if you lose your lives you join a rail at the side of the level and you can eat other players and "steal" their lives to get back in the game.

So yeah, good fun all around, it'd be great if Nintendo did another Nindies showcase really as smaller titles like this seem to be overshadowed by ones made by teams who have more resource for marketing (the Death Squared folks are doing a great job with that). Hope this does well.

Sorry guys, I just don't understand. Are reviewers being nice to this game because it's a small developer? How did anyone review this more than a 3? Even I feel bad posting this so can imagine reviewers felt bad too.

I'm the target audience for this game. I'm massive on local multiplayer. I have 8 joy cons, all the eshop multiplayer games available on the Switch and even Wii U. This game controls horribly. I don't mean it controls horribly on purpose and that's the charm. Honestly it's just frustrating. I really don't get it. I'm shocked Death Squared has similar reviews to this. Astro Duel Deluxe is miles more fun too.

I appreciate they put some content in this but it just isn't fun. Flip Wars is a bore fest but at least that works. Sorry guys I really don't get it :/ I mean, the word Smash Bros. is mentioned on a lot of reviews and that's just...I mean I get it, but that's a big name to use. It gets directly compared and some reviewers even talk about it like it's just as fun. Are they just happy they were sent review codes. It's all baffling to me :(

Well now htat i have it.... I like it I think? Single player is tough, haven't played multi yet. Was waiting to get home to play with pro controller thinking it would have better controls... nah. It's worse actually cuz my d-pad is one of the bad ones and I cant turn off up being jump (the control 'options' are just diagrams of different ways you can use the same control scheme with little jokes).

I do have to say, I really with the movement was either analog or a little less twitchy. I really can't reliably make super simple jumps because you go from 0 to 60 so fast. the one button attack doesnt feel as simple as it sounded, but Im sure Ill get used to that.

Anyway Im sure Ill get plenty of playtime out of this even if Im iffy on how it controls.

Sounds to me like you're just trying really hard to like it.

wanders

Yeah I'm also surprised by the praise of this game. Played a couple of levels and it's absolutely floaty and frustrating. What could've been a tightly controlled game just ends up being an annoying experience. Unable to remove up to jump is so fucking annoying. Gonna give it more time...

Yeah I'm also surprised by the praise of this game. Played a couple of levels and it's absolutely floaty and frustrating. What could've been a tightly controlled game just ends up being an annoying experience. Unable to remove up to jump is so fucking annoying. Gonna give it more time...

I actually feel like contacting some of the reviewers. I feel quite let down. Am I really missing something huge?

Sorry guys, I just don't understand. Are reviewers being nice to this game because it's a small developer? How did anyone review this more than a 3? Even I feel bad posting this so can imagine reviewers felt bad too.

I'm the target audience for this game. I'm massive on local multiplayer. I have 8 joy cons, all the eshop multiplayer games available on the Switch and even Wii U. This game controls horribly. I don't mean it controls horribly on purpose and that's the charm. Honestly it's just frustrating. I really don't get it. I'm shocked Death Squared has similar reviews to this. Astro Duel Deluxe is miles more fun too.

I appreciate they put some content in this but it just isn't fun. Flip Wars is a bore fest but at least that works. Sorry guys I really don't get it :/ I mean, the word Smash Bros. is mentioned on a lot of reviews and that's just...I mean I get it, but that's a big name to use. It gets directly compared and some reviewers even talk about it like it's just as fun. Are they just happy they were sent review codes. It's all baffling to me :(

Sounds to me like you're just trying really hard to like it.

We had De Mambo at a London event called Hyper Japan over the the last three days. I played with little kids, parents who've never played games before and hardcore GTA/COD fans. Everyone had a good time.

Maybe the game isn't for you, which is absolutely fine.

Once you get used to the controls, it offers you a lot of freedom. maybe give Multiplayer a shot at some point and it may click with you.

I actually feel like contacting some of the reviewers. I feel quite let down. Am I really missing something huge?

No offense but this sounds really silly. If you don't like the game, you don't like it! People have different opinions!

NimbusD

Haven't been able to play multi yet, but I agree that the controls are very frustrating. It doesn't feel good to feel like you're fighting the controls instead of the level. It seems fun but there are some parts that I just cannot for the life of me pass because it requires jumping into a one brick wide platform, yet it's too twitchy... Plus double tapping a direction gives you a little dash so it always sends me way flying missing my mark. As far as I know, the dash in itself is useless other than fucking up your jumps. I have to resort to pressing forward once and hoping I pressed it the correct amount of time the first time.

I know it's silly but this is the one time in my twenty eight years of gaming I have felt like this. 7s and 8s are very high scores for a local multiplayer eshop game. Games are usually capped at that score and it usually means to me with the right people it is a 10/10 experience (as far as fun is concerned, the most important factor)

Starwhal. 66 on metacritic.
Toto Temple Deluxe. 74 on metacritic.
Pictoparty. 73 on metacritic.
Death Squared. 78 on metacritic.
Astro Duel Deluxe. 59 on metacritic.

Bomberman and Mario Party games also get around these scores.

You get the idea. All of these games are amazing fun in multiplayer. So for this to be rated similarly or even higher than these really shocked me. I know this all reads as "you don't like the game, ok move on" but this game is just getting way too much praise. Meant to hold me until Smash Bros? How did they use Sakurai's philosophy just because you have to be knocked off the stage to lose? I know as more people play they will agree with me. The people who played at an event probably had quick mindless fun for 10 minutes, but I just don't understand the reviews. Maybe someone needs to explain it like I'm dumb.

I read about the history of the game. I'm in London myself and I find it very charming how the game was made and it's amazing what they've achieved. I apologise and don't mean to offend anyone. I suppose if I were a reviewer I'd be that one guy who gives an outlier score. But believe me, I might be the user on Neogaf who is one of the biggest on local multiplayer gaming.

I know it's silly but this is the one time in my twenty eight years of gaming I have felt like this. 7s and 8s are very high scores for a local multiplayer eshop game. Games are usually capped at that score and it usually means to me with the right people it is a 10/10 experience (as far as fun is concerned, the most important factor)

Starwhal. 66 on metacritic.
Toto Temple Deluxe. 74 on metacritic.
Pictoparty. 73 on metacritic.
Death Squared. 78 on metacritic.
Astro Duel Deluxe. 59 on metacritic.

Bomberman and Mario Party games also get around these scores.

You get the idea. All of these games are amazing fun in multiplayer. So for this to be rated similarly or even higher than these really shocked me. I know this all reads as "you don't like the game, ok move on" but this game is just getting way too much praise. Meant to hold me until Smash Bros? How did they use Sakurai's philosophy just because you have to be knocked off the stage to lose? I know as more people play they will agree with me. The people who played at an event probably had quick mindless fun for 10 minutes, but I just don't understand the reviews. Maybe someone needs to explain it like I'm dumb.

I read about the history of the game. I'm in London myself and I find it very charming how the game was made and it's amazing what they've achieved. I apologise and don't mean to offend anyone. I suppose if I were a reviewer I'd be that one guy who gives an outlier score. But believe me, I might be the user on Neogaf who is one of the biggest on local multiplayer gaming.

The next game we make I'm seriously considering asking reviewers not to attach a score as again, no offense to you, but i don't think it's healthy to put this much emphasis on a number.

I do see where you're coming from but for myself I can't particularly get it. I don't like Transformers movies or Fast and the Furious etc, but I don't care if people do like them. I feel that everything deserves to exist regardless if I like it or not. People who like Transformers get Transformers and for people like myself, we get Jodorowsky or Jarmusch or whatever.

Regarding the Smash influence, our goal was to deconstruct Smash to its core and rebuild it in our own way. We designed the game to be as free as possible so it can be played by a wide range of people however they choose. So at all the events we show it at people can button mash or play professionally and it works fine for them. Little kids like to use the spike attack and love the Loser-Rail whilst hardcore gamers tend to play using the projectile attacks and dash into a spin attack.

I don't think it's fair to say people had mindless fun for ten minutes as I've personally played with people who stayed in our stall for over ten minutes, just yesterday in fact.

Anyway, I'm sorry you're not into De Mambo!

Hey thanks for your comment. I apologise for coming across as harsh. I didn't mean to put too much emphasis on the score, the writing in the reviews were quite to very positive as well. Maybe the game just didn't click with me :) I'm sure people are genuinely enjoying it.

Hey thanks for your comment. I apologise for coming across as harsh. I didn't mean to put too much emphasis on the score, the writing in the reviews were quite to very positive as well. Maybe the game just didn't click with me :) I'm sure people are genuinely enjoying it.

It's cool don't worry about it.
giphy.gif

Top Bottom