• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Cells Review Thread

Typhares

Finally coming out of early access on steam and coming out on PS4, XB1 and Switch!
The game has garnered a lot of attention during that phase with most people praising it.
Seems like the reviews confirm that:

IGN put a 9.7 but the review has been accused of plagiarism so I'm not linking it.

Gamespot 9/10
Dead Cells is a phenomenal effort to blend together some very disparate genres into a tight, cohesive whole. It's one of the better examples of how to remix ideas without losing their individual strengths.

Easy Allies 8/10

Gamekult 9/10 (french)
Coup d’essai, coup de maître. Avec son contenu foisonnant, Dead Cells aurait pu se laisser déborder, tomber dans le piège de la quantité qui supplante la qualité. D’un revers de la main, Motion Twin balaye cette peur et propose un jeu dont chaque rouage est bluffant de maîtrise.

Current metacritic 90 based on 20 reviews

I'm going to get it for PS4 and try it out when I'm done with work this evening!

I'm kind of disappointed by the Switch version. Some biomes like Promenade of the Condemned don't run at a stable 60fps, neither docked nor handheld mode. This is imo not okay for a 2D Sidescroller.
Dev said in the Kotaku review that they'll fix performance on switch if enough people complain about it, but they think that it is okay as is. The button icons look really bad as well (especially compared to the other versions).

The game is awesome and has been ever since it got into early access. I am glad that reviewers think the same.

Typhares

I'm kind of disappointed by the Switch version. Some biomes like Promenade of the Condemned don't run at a stable 60fps, neither docked nor handheld mode. This is imo not okay for a 2D Sidescroller.
Dev said in the Kotaku review that they'll fix performance on switch if enough people complain about it, but they think that it is okay as is. The button icons look really bad as well (especially compared to the other versions).

The game is awesome and has been ever since it got into early access. I am glad that reviewers think the same.

Oh? I hesitated getting the switch version over ps4 but in the end I prefer the ps4 controller so I chose that. Shame about performance, I hope they fix it.

Last edited:

-MD-

I was more subtle with my homework copying when I was in middle school than this grown adult being paid a living wage was. A 9.7? Yeah that's gonna fly under the radar, nevermind that he used the same script beat for beat.

What an absolute moron.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
🤣🤣🤣 Serious journalism 🤣🤣🤣

Game is fucking amazing on the switch go get it tho.
I didnt see any lag tbh but eh.
Always pick handheld

Jae Mara

Picked it up a month ago on a sale. Played a little bit of it and wanted to wait for the 1.0 release. Was anything neat pushed to 1.0 or was it just mostly bug squashing?

Oh boy that IGN review. They just about changed some of the words but also taking the entire structure of the video too. Ha! Hopefully some good will come of this, one less dishonest games writer and hopefully some traffic heading to the original vid creators channel. Games journalism is almost giving youtubers and streamers their platform on a platter.

Mr Hyde

I'm torn over this and Hollow Knight. Both look freaking awesome but I have a tight leash on my budget, and thus, can only afford one.

Drake

I'm torn over this and Hollow Knight. Both look freaking awesome but I have a tight leash on my budget, and thus, can only afford one.

I didn't like Hollow Knight that much. Usually I'm a sucker for Metrodvania's too. I also hate rogue-like/lites though.

Also LOL @IGN.

Last edited:

xviper

this is my first impression of the game i wrote in another thread :

played about 6 hours, i'm HIGHLY disappointed, i didn't know the game was basically Rogue Legacy 2 but worse, i thought it was a normal linear with open world game like Ori and Chasm

every run is pretty much the same, you go through the same areas in the same order, and if you unlock an ability, you may go to another path, there is like 2 paths

the abilities you upgrade with Cells are useless, Random weapon drop ?? flask carrying capacity ? money you can keep upon death wtf ? there is supposed to be Health power upgrades, Defense upgrades, Damage upgrades, stuff like that to make you feel the progression and make you feel stronger the longer you play, not random bullshit

every run you have to go through the same bosses in the same order

this game's progression is the worst i have ever seen, at least Rogue Legacy had meaningful progression that will make you stronger the longer you play

the only game that pulled the "every run is different" right in my opinion was Isaac, sure there was no progression other than unlocking characters but every run really is different, and there was a LOT of bosses, enemies, and abilities, where Dead Cells fails at that

is Hollow knight also the same ?? or is it a normal linear game ?

even though i'm disappointed, i'll still play it until Death's Gambit comes out

after finishing Chasm i wanted more metroidvenia, and less than a week felt like a month, when i turned Dead Cells on i was super excited, but then it hit me, and it hit me hard, it is my biggest disappointment of the year

The game is very electrical, as Hollow Knight is more paced. You can choose according to your style. Dead Cells pushes you to play as fast as you can.

Jae Mara

If you want a more traditional metroidvania experience with a single large map with many nooks and crannies, exploration and atmoshpere then Hollow Knight.
If you roguelites are thing with some of the trappings of a metroidvania then perhaps Dead Cells.

Combat is great in both of them with dead cells being a lot faster, twitchier almost.

I prefer Hollow Knight, its the kind of experience I prefer in these games.

When you have enough money, get both as they are both top of class.

Drake

If you guys are on the fence with this and like Metroidvania's/Souls games/Shadow of the Colossus then Death's Gambit comes out next Tuesday. I'll definitely be getting that one.

Last edited:
If you want a more traditional metroidvania experience with a single large map with many nooks and crannies, exploration and atmoshpere then Hollow Knight.
If you roguelites are thing with some of the trappings of a metroidvania then perhaps Dead Cells.

Combat is great in both of them with dead cells being a lot faster, twitchier almost.

I prefer Hollow Knight, its the kind of experience I prefer in these games.

When you have enough money, get both as they are both top of class.
there's even a twitch mod now, for the game :v

a viewer can choose your stats upgrades, even your estus flask :D

Mathrin

Im not sure thats a switch thing, more of a game engine thing. I just had a few dips on the PC version on Promenade of the Damned for some reason.

Vawn

Banned
I don't want to be a part of the culture that demands people's jobs over every mistake, but what was Filip Miucin thinking?

It's the Internet. You don't think anyone is going to call you out on this?

It's not fair for Dead Cells either as IGN has had to completely pull their review down, meaning the game is getting no exposure on a major gaming site during its launch week.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
That’s the new IGN Nintendo guy. From what I have heard, he was some type of popular Nintendo Youtuber and they hired him because of that.

Maybe he felt he was in over his head? Don’t these companies do due diligence anymore. Did they at least get him to do some mock reviews before they hired him to see if he was up to the job? Or is it, you can giggle in front of a camera, you’re hired!

It’s a shame, he seemed like a nice guy.

Mr Hyde

Yeah, I´m looking more for a traditional Metroidvania so Hollow Knight seems to be more up my alley then. Dead Cells have to wait for another time. Thank you for input.

I don't want to be a part of the culture that demands people's jobs over every mistake, but what was Filip Miucin thinking?

It's not fair for Dead Cells either as IGN has had to completely pull their review down, meaning the game is getting no exposure on a major gaming site during its launch week.
I'd say it's getting more exposure.

Jae Mara

If you guys are on the fence with this and like Metroidvania's/Souls games/Shadow of the Colossus then Death's Gambit comes out next Tuesday. I'll definitely be getting that one.

Never heard of it. Completely flew under my radar. Thanks for the heads up!
Hope this plays as good as it looks and the level design holds up.

You can't buy the publicity Dead Cells is getting right now. I bet sales are through the roof

Poppyseed

Switch version is by far the worst. I don’t recommend it, and I wish I hadn’t bought it.

The frame rate is bad, and while it’s not MASSIVE frame drops, the timing is just OFF when it drops mid combo. Ugh.

Last edited:

Skyr

Switch version is by far the worst. I don’t recommend it, and I wish I hadn’t bought it.

The frame rate is bad, and while it’s not MASSIVE frame drops, the timing is just OFF when it drops mid combo. Ugh.

Ugh... thanks for the info
I actually wanted to get it on switch in a few hours, but steam version it is.

Typhares

I think they are going to have to patch all versions. After playing for a little while on ps4 I got a couple of hitches like freeze frames.
Apart from that the game seems really good but I struggle with the jumps and general movement of the character. I think it's because I'm just off Hollow Knight and Dead cells feels a lot more 'heavy' if that makes sense.

Poppyseed

Ugh... thanks for the info
I actually wanted to get it on switch in a few hours, but steam version it is.

Yep the PC version will clearly be the one to get. The Switch version is SO bad. Even running through the opening room with the empty/filled jars the frame rate is so bad. I’ve absolutely died because of the frame rate interrupting a combo due to poor frame time. I wish I could get a refund but...Nintendo.

Honestly, anyone who says the frame rate is fine on Switch is clearly not bothered by poor frame times.

Last edited:

Skyr

Yep the PC version will clearly be the one to get. The Switch version is SO bad. Even running through the opening room with the empty/filled jars the frame rate is so bad. I’ve absolutely died because of the frame rate interrupting a combo due to poor frame time. I wish I could get a refund but...Nintendo.

Honestly, anyone who says the frame rate is fine on Switch is clearly not bothered by poor frame times.

That sounds terrible. Wasn‘t hollow knight having performance problems too at release? I think they patched it fairly quickly.

Nymphae

Banned

That looks sick as fuck and I have never heard of it, awesome!

Poppyseed

That sounds terrible. Wasn‘t hollow knight having performance problems too at release? I think they patched it fairly quickly.

Hollow Knight runs 99% perfectly. I picked it up launch date. No issues with it at all.

Dead Cells is literally giving me a headache in certain locations. Even when docked, the second level frame rate is awful with ZERO enemies on screen.

Poppyseed

I think they are going to have to patch all versions. After playing for a little while on ps4 I got a couple of hitches like freeze frames.
Apart from that the game seems really good but I struggle with the jumps and general movement of the character. I think it's because I'm just off Hollow Knight and Dead cells feels a lot more 'heavy' if that makes sense.

Had that on the Switch version, too. It literally freezes up for a second you “warp” where you were moving to when it comes back alive. Oy... what a mess.

And yes it definitely is a heavier control for jumping etc. It’s a great game. Just not great on the Switch at least. Can’t speak for other platforms but assume it runs like a dream on PC.

Poppyseed

Had this for a while in early access on pc and it is an exceptional game. Highyl recommended.

I just bought it on the PC. MAN what a difference. Silky smooth frame rate. This is the way it should be played. AVOID the Switch version if you have other means of playing this great game.

The Skull

I just bought it on the PC. MAN what a difference. Silky smooth frame rate. This is the way it should be played. AVOID the Switch version if you have other means of playing this great game.

Couldn't agree more. Shame as this seems an absolute perfect fit for the switch. Playing this on an IPS screen at 1440p, the pixel art is gorgeous. I think they had sold around 700k in early access, so hopefully final retail will give them the sales they deserve. I imagine the IGN controversy will bring it a lot of attention to the game. Silver lining I guess.

Poppyseed

Couldn't agree more. Shame as this seems an absolute perfect fit for the switch. Playing this on an IPS screen at 1440p, the pixel art is gorgeous. I think they had sold around 700k in early access, so hopefully final retail will give them the sales they deserve. I imagine the IGN controversy will bring it a lot of attention to the game. Silver lining I guess.

Yep looks lovely on PC. Just wish I could get a refund on the Switch version. How it got greenlit is beyond me.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
this is my first impression of the game i wrote in another thread :

after finishing Chasm i wanted more metroidvenia, and less than a week felt like a month, when i turned Dead Cells on i was super excited, but then it hit me, and it hit me hard, it is my biggest disappointment of the year
You seem to have the tendency of assuming what a game is like. You almost made the same mistake with DQXI. Just do some basic research and you'll avoid this kind of disappointment.

-MD-

You seem to have the tendency of assuming what a game is like. You almost made the same mistake with DQXI. Just do some basic research and you'll avoid this kind of disappointment.

Watching a few minutes of footage on youtube is tough though, man.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I hadn't heard of it until now, but I'm definitely grabbing it along with Phantom Doctrine.

xviper

yeah i don't know how i missed on knowing the game was Roguelike, but you seem to be missing my point

i'm not disappointed because the game turned out to be Roguelike, i'm disappointed because the progression is horrible and useless

and i have heard a lot of good things about the game before, so i didn't just buy it without some research

although i bought Chasm with barely reading anything about it and it ended up in my top 3 games of the year so far

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
yeah i don't know how i missed on knowing the game was Roguelike, but you seem to be missing my point

i'm not disappointed because the game turned out to be Roguelike, i'm disappointed because the progression is horrible and useless

and i have heard a lot of good things about the game before, so i didn't just buy it without some research

although i bought Chasm with barely reading anything about it and it ended up in my top 3 games of the year so far
But you were expecting Rogue Legacy like progression in terms of upgrading your character. When it comes to Roguelikes/lites, RL and the way it handles progression is the exception to the rule.

xviper

But you were expecting Rogue Legacy like progression in terms of upgrading your character. When it comes to Roguelikes/lites, RL and the way it handles progression is the exception to the rule.
i never said "i was expecting Rogue Legacy like progression", i didn't even knew the game was Roguelike

all i said was the progression was bad and meaningless while Rogue Legacy's progression was useful and makes you stronger the longer you play

please read my post again

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
i never said "i was expecting Rogue Legacy like progression", i didn't even knew the game was Roguelike

all i said was the progression was bad and meaningless while Rogue Legacy's progression was useful and makes you stronger the longer you play

please read my post again
Dude, you've stated several times that you hate the the progression isn't like Rogue Legacy and that's your main compliant. Again, a little research goes a long way. But we never get anywhere with our discussions so let's just ended it here before we both end up banned lol.

xviper

Dude, you've stated several times that you hate the the progression isn't like Rogue Legacy and that's your main compliant. Again, a little research goes a long way. But we never get anywhere with our discussions so let's just ended it here before we both end up banned lol.
yes i have said that i hated the progression in Dead Cells but i never said that i thought the progression was like Rogue Legacy like you claimed i said

you and a lot of Gaffers seem to be doing this, everytime i post about something you twist it up and make it look worse even though my post was clear as a whistle

i agree on ending the discussion, but i don't think we will get banned for discussing video games in a video game forum

Top Bottom