• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island 2 Previews are Coming Up

Draugoth

Gold Member
Some reviewrs have broken up the embargo i will be updatiding once it gets lifted.

Blogs:

Videos

Last edited:

Alebrije

I broke my rule of not preordering but considering enjoyed DI riptide I guess will enjoy it.

Like the location ambient and carnage system while you kill a zombie..this game looks like the Doom of zombie games...

Fake

Looks OKish? Hope there is an option to disable the exp counter, or low down the trash talking.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
This looks like alot of fun. My only concern is longevity and whether it will remain fun for 20/30+ hours.
Maybe this game doesn't need to be 30 hours long, honestly I'd be happy with a fun goofy over the top 15 hours zombie slayer game.
Give me weapons that sends zombies flying, explode them, tear them appart, make it fun and not tedious or a grindfest, make it the opposite of AC Valahalla.

Last edited:
Maybe this game doesn't need to be 30 hours long, honestly I'd be happy with a fun goofy over the top 15 hours zombie slayer game.
Give me weapons that sends zombies flying, explode them, tear them appart, make it fun and not tedious or a grindfest, make it the opposite of AC Valahalla.
Fair point, yes. 15 hours might be the sweet spot. Anything apart from the length of AC Valhalla

MiguelItUp

Sounds like dumb fun, exactly like I had hoped for. I think the biggest shame is that there's no cross platform with coop.

DeaDPo0L84

This game has been in development for too long for it not to be garbage.
While that makes sense it oddly makes me more concerned, or at least cautious. All the same me and the wife are super excited. DI1 was one of the first games we played together when we were dating.

TexMex

While that makes sense it oddly makes me more concerned, or at least cautious. All the same me and the wife are super excited. DI1 was one of the first games we played together when we were dating.

It should make you more concerned. A decade in development is almost always a red flag and has been proven to be for good reason, time and time again. Saying “how could it be bad after so long in development” is fucking stupid considering how much precedent we have.

Also,

4bOwjp1.jpg

Groannnnnnnnn

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
PS3/360 game with Series X/PS5 clothes on.

This has been in development too long, and it looks like they didn't update it barely at all along the long dev process.

oji-san

Banned
Watched the Pure Xbox video and it looks fantastic, saying it looks good and running at 60fps makes me happy.
Setting reminds me a bit of GTA V?
Combat and weapons looks sick, i never get tired from this kind of games.
I enjoyed Dead Island back then very much, but didn't like the Dying Light games, here's hoping it's much more like DI gameplay (as it seems). Can't wait for the release.

oji-san

Banned
Throwing ours (MP1st) into the ring: https://mp1st.com/previews/dead-island-2-hands-on-preview-the-fresh-brains-of-bel-air

We also posted a bulletpoint list of info that's noteworthy from the demo: https://mp1st.com/previews/dead-isl...options-slayer-skill-cards-info-more-revealed :)

No word yet. We should know that once review codes are being sent out.

Thank you very much for the bulletpoints, was a good read, So not all characters get the dodge ability... something i need to check out before choosing what character to play as, i much prefer dodge to block tbh.
The gore system sounds so good, also the rest of the points you mentioned made me hyped for this game. :)

Corian33

Anyone still remember that trailer for the first game? With the family falling out of the window in reverse? That was straight art and storytelling.

The actual game was fine but always felt so janky and dumb compared to the tone set by that trailer.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Thank you very much for the bulletpoints, was a good read, So not all characters get the dodge ability... something i need to check out before choosing what character to play as, i much prefer dodge to block tbh.
The gore system sounds so good, also the rest of the points you mentioned made me hyped for this game. :)
Honestly, we were expecting it to be mediocre given the development hell it's been through. Very, very surprised it turned out this well. I mean, four studios making one game should mean it's a dumpster fire, right?

And glad you liked it! We usually list down info for previews since a lot of people seem to prefer that. :)

Eiknarf

Banned
Had no interest in this all year.. Now I do! Actually hoping it’s amazing fun!! Keeping my eye on this

SJRB

Gold Member
It seems to be a solid but barebones experience by today's standards.

I wonder if selling it for 40 would be the smart move.

Inviusx

Didn't know this wasn't an open world, didn't know this was a linear story driven game, hype deflated to zero.

Last edited:

skyfall

I have a feeling this is going to be one of those games where every mission is ''I need x but cant get it myself for arbitrary reasons, clear out the enemies in this area then bring me back x'' repeat for 20 hours

SJRB

Gold Member
Didn't know this wasn't an open world, didn't know this was a linear story driven game, hype deflated to zero.

Pretty sure it's not linear per se, but LA is divided into zones.

First Dead Island has a similar mechanic where there was a resort, a city, sewers you could move around in but they were divided by loading screens.

Eiknarf

Banned
Pretty sure it's not linear per se, but LA is divided into zones.

First Dead Island has a similar mechanic where there was a resort, a city, sewers you could move around in but they were divided by loading screens.
So there’s most likely a few different environments - and we can roam freely in each?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Previews all sound pretty good if you want mindless gore, which I do. And just before REDFALL and NOT an Open World means likely won't get burned out. If the story is good this might be an easy pick up.

4bOwjp1.jpg

Groannnnnnnnn

Oh no! They're referencing the modern zeitgeist! However will gaming recover. /s

Yerd

Anyone still remember that trailer for the first game? With the family falling out of the window in reverse? That was straight art and storytelling.

The actual game was fine but always felt so janky and dumb compared to the tone set by that trailer.

I'm going to assume you have not seen the original trailer for this game before the Dev troubles.

I'd say it's just as good or even better than the trailer for the first game.

Eiknarf

Banned
I hope this game’s good! Fun!! I went from “don’t care” to “totally interested” in a span of 24 hours

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
hows the level design works in this game? its confirmed not an open world right?

Is it a hub world or something? anyone knows?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
hows the level design works in this game? its confirmed not an open world right?

Is it a hub world or something? anyone knows?

Corridor-gore if the previews are anything to go by. And this might be for the best for a game like this, especially with the open-world fatigue people are saying they have.

TexMex

Previews all sound pretty good if you want mindless gore, which I do. And just before REDFALL and NOT an Open World means likely won't get burned out. If the story is good this might be an easy pick up.

Oh no! They're referencing the modern zeitgeist! However will gaming recover. /s

Look if you’re still trying to get my Snapchat just dm me sweetie

I'm going to assume you have not seen the original trailer for this game before the Dev troubles.

I'd say it's just as good or even better than the trailer for the first game.

It is not really the same. The trailer for the original is cinematic and intimate, this new one is a commercial with tasteless product advertisement.

P.S. I am not into Dead Island games, but some of their world and mission design is captivating.

Last edited:
Top Bottom