• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island 2 | Review Thread

Phase

Personally, I was hoping for more. It's incredibly basic in it's combat and entirely too boring for me.

GrayFoxPL

I would have sucked dicks to have all 7 at school:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
erin darke daniel GIF

GymWolf

Personally, I was hoping for more. It's incredibly basic in it's combat and entirely too boring for me.
Yeah, the core gameplay is too simple and the game too easy.

But the core act of bashing zombies may be at his best ever, the feeling of the combat carry the whole game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Great to hear, meaty game

Been taking my time doing all sidequests and etc. in co-op with a friend

Best co-op experience in quite a while.
Yeah if you do everything or almost everything the game is around 30++ hours long.

It is fun with random people aswell.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Yeah, the core gameplay is too simple and the game too easy.

But the core act of bashing zombies may be at his best ever, the feeling of the combat carry the whole game.
But I just read yesterday (forgot if it was here) that some boss is frustratingly hard. Is that a thing?

Kupfer

I have now played a total of 19 hours over the last two weekends, and I am at quest 19/24 and still have a few side quests to do. I do not understand that many complain that the game is only about 20h long, how fast do you have to rush through a game to have seen everything in 20h? Admittedly, I'm taking my time, looking at the beautiful, hand-modeled and detailed levels, playing around with the zombies a bit and I have to say that the combat system is doing a really good job so far. Just at the point where I thought it was getting a little boring I got firearms and since then it's been even more fun. Firearms, unlike those in the first Dead Island, are fortunately useful and feel good.
The story is adequate, but I didn't expect anything groundbreaking, the characters are quite good, but not important and the nice thing is that the game doesn't take itself too seriously. Stupid sayings, silly cursing, straightforward zombie fighting, in between really cool setpieces and all the time a relaxed atmosphere that does not crush you.
The first run I play completely solo, so as not to spoil my experience by stupid talk or a different play style of my teammates, but I'm curious about the coop sessions, as soon as I've finished the campaign. I'm definitely looking forward to the last third.
I think a 75's rating is too low according to my current state. The game runs flawlessly on the PS5, so far I had no bugs, there is no ingameshop, no always online, no hidden MTX. It is a finished game that gives me what, or even more than I expected.
I see Dead Island 2 more in the low to mid 80's range.

EDIT:
Are enemies harder when playing coop? I think the game is a bit too easy, even alone.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Late to the party, what exactly is with the $99 canadian price tag? Is this game secretly the last of us 3? Makes zero sense, should be $49.99.

Kupfer

Late to the party, what exactly is with the $99 canadian price tag? Is this game secretly the last of us 3? Makes zero sense, should be $49.99.
Got it for 52€, so 78$ Canadian I guess? I think its worth it; Could you please explain to me why you think that a fully fledged and finished game should not be sold for the price of one?

Last edited:

Ywap

Waiting and hoping for a harder difficulty mode...

Seems like an awesome game if it brought a greater challenge 💪🤬

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Got it for 52€, so 78$ Canadian I guess? I think its worth it; Could you please explain to me why you think that a fully fledged and finished game should not be sold for the price of one?

It's a pretty mediocre game at best and is $99 on the xbox e-store vs $79 for a lot better games. To me these mid tier games are never worth more than $50.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
It's a pretty mediocre game at best and is $99 on the xbox e-store vs $79 for a lot better games. To me these mid tier games are never worth more than $50.

It's very far from being "mediocre". Not even close.
It's probably the best optimized UE4 game in recent years. It has very good graphics. It has the most advanced gore system in any game.
The combat system is a lot of fun. The story is not amazing, but it's also not as annoying as Dying Light 1 and 2.
It has almost no bugs, no mtx, and it's a polished product at launch.
It doesn't have a ton of pintless fetch quests for the player to grind and waste time.
Compared to most AAA games released recently, it's a much better game.

THE DUCK

It's very far from being "mediocre". Not even close.
It's probably the best optimized UE4 game in recent years. It has very good graphics. It has the most advanced gore system in any game.
The combat system is a lot of fun. The story is not amazing, but it's also not as annoying as Dying Light 1 and 2.
It has almost no bugs, no mtx, and it's a polished product at launch.
It doesn't have a ton of pintless fetch quests for the player to grind and waste time.
Compared to most AAA games released recently, it's a much better game.

Well I have no problem if I'm wrong, happy even, but $99 is dumb regardless.

Kupfer

There's no reason for the game not to be $79.99 on the e-store like all the other 3rd party games.
Well then don't buy it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You seem to have a fundamental problem with the store's pricing, and they're only in it for the money - as long as MS sees that it sells well at that price, it'll stay that way; but that doesn't make the game any less worth playing. Also, which other, 2 week old third party games? I hope you'll get it on sale someday and have fun with it. Dead Island 2 is way better than "mediocre".

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Well then don't buy it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You seem to have a fundamental problem with the store's pricing, and they're only in it for the money - as long as MS sees that it sells well at that price, it'll stay that way; but that doesn't make the game any less worth playing. Also, which other, 2 week old third party games? I hope you'll get it on sale someday and have fun with it. Dead Island 2 is way better than "mediocre".

I don't have a fundamental problem with the stores pricing, every other game is basically identical to physical release on day one here at $79.99, with the odd AAA high profile game at $89.99.
I have a problem with either the silly increase for this game to $99 or the price error, if that's what it is. Yep and no doubt ill grab it when it's on sale later.....

dorkimoe

Beat this last night...its really short (as far as the main story goes). I dont really pay attention to the story, i just kill zombies and follow the quests, but i feel like i beat it in no time at all. You can tell this game was developed by 2 diff groups or something. There is so much detail inside the buildings and stuff but the world map is kinda a joke. You teleport everywhere instead of just free roaming. Hopefully we get another that gets a proper dev cycle.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It's an odd phenomenon to see, but for this game it seems like reviewers are finally using the 10 point scale correctly.

Blame school grading systems that do this:

kbc4f2clcxa21.jpg
Hmmm. When I was in school. 90-100 A, 80-89 B, 70-79 C, 60-69 D and below 60 an F. When did this change?

Eiknarf

Banned
Playing this now. It’s really fun, and that’s sometimes all that matters.

In this case I don’t compare zombie games to games. You certainly don’t compare this to Days Gone or The Last of Us because they’re 3rd person. I compare this with new 1st person games such as Atomic Heart, and it’s way better than Atomic Heart.

Hmmm. When I was in school. 90-100 A, 80-89 B, 70-79 C, 60-69 D and below 60 an F. When did this change?
It was for me too, it changed shortly after. Maybe 2007 or so?
Technically if you get rid of the pluses and minuses, that range comes relatively close. The issue with your example still lies in the fact that everything below 60 points is deemed as useless numbering, and nearly everyone in gaming media has grown used to this same broken numbering system.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Few questions as I'm going to get my copy of the game in a day or two.

- How important is leveling up? Do enemies scale with you?
- Are there any reliable exp farming (and item duplication like the first game) tricks like the first?

Eiknarf

Banned
Few questions as I'm going to get my copy of the game in a day or two.

- How important is leveling up? Do enemies scale with you?
- Are there any reliable exp farming (and item duplication like the first game) tricks like the first?
Yeah, you’ll be leveling up your weapons - and yourself - and that happens kinda naturally cuz the enemies get scale up too

I never played the first one though

Denton

I compare this with new 1st person games such as Atomic Heart, and it’s way better than Atomic Heart.
I liked Dead Island 2, finished it few days ago, but fuck no

Atomic Heart is so much more creative and interesting all around

That said Dead Island 2 is still easy to recommend for any zombiebashing lovers

Eiknarf

Banned
I liked Dead Island 2, finished it few days ago, but fuck no

Atomic Heart is so much more creative and interesting all around

That said Dead Island 2 is still easy to recommend for any zombiebashing lovers
Well lemme ask;

When I say “I like the game better”, I’m specifically talking about the gameplay. The thing you do over and over- The shooting in the melee combat.

When it comes to the story, atomic heart is much more creative… much better

Do you prefer the melee combat in atomic heart over that awesome melee combat in dead island 2?

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa hahahahaaa

In the cut scene…
The cigarette smoking guy who get the top half of his head ripped off by the jacked up zombie, but STILL takes another drag while dying!!!

(Edit: I believe his name was ‘Bud’)

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's something nice about a game releasing this year that doesn't have 5 performance profiles and just runs at a very reasonably locked 60 FPS out of the box with decent IQ.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Expanding what is essentially a 30 point scale into a 100 point scale then proceeding to not use the other 70 points. Somehow, it continues to exist and no one ever questions it.

It exists for a reason, at least in Universities. Imagine employing a doctor who was a straight C student, which using the "full number scale" would indicate he got half the problems wrong. No one wants to go to a doctor like that. No one wants to employ a scientist who only understands 50% of their field. No one wants to hire an engineer who can't succeed well in math.

Gaming wise? Yea, we should use the full scale. Grading wise? Hell no.

It exists for a reason, at least in Universities. Imagine employing a doctor who was a straight C student, which using the "full number scale" would indicate he got half the problems wrong. No one wants to go to a doctor like that. No one wants to employ a scientist who only understands 50% of their field. No one wants to hire an engineer who can't succeed well in math.

Gaming wise? Yea, we should use the full scale. Grading wise? Hell no.
The issue is that their grading numbers would still fall within that range. With the grading systems that use that scale, the C student would never have a C below the number range presented. Yes, you would know that they’re a C student, but you would have known that even if the scale were out of 30 or 40 points. For example, I’ve never heard of a med school student scoring a 30 or 40 out of 100 and somehow still making it to doctorship, let alone receiving a C with that score. The only time this could theoretically happen is with a rare form of nepotism or grading negligence.

What it seems like you’re actually describing is a rating of quality after they receive their position, which usually comes from customers and star ratings, that actually do use the full range. However, in order to receive the position they usually need to earn it with higher grade scoring the more they advance in the field(especially in terms of doctors where the scoring needs to be extremely high).

ZoukGalaxy

User reviews seems to be good, that a PASS for me, I loved so much Dead Island 1 and never found the time to finish Riptide but well, nevermind.

However, one thing I already hate from random videos I saw: it's the fu***** horrible musics with "singers" vocals: what a piece of pure trash

VMSxPfr.jpg

Last edited:
Got the platinum trophy last night after 30+ hours, overall this is a solid zombie slaying experience with the gore system setting a new standard in the genre. When considering the tortured development cycle the end result is especially impressive next to recent big hitters like Jedi Survivor which launched in a state of bug-ridden shambles. I can honestly say that my entire playthrough on PS5 was bug/glitch free and it maintained a near rock solid 60 FPS no matter what kind of wild mayhem was happening on screen.

As a total package I still give the edge to Dying Light 2 whose world is more compelling, whose characters are more interesting, whose traversal is on a completely different planet and whose core combat *feel* is more satisfying. Funny thing is they released a new update right when Dead Island 2 launched highlighting a revamped combat system with more gore, will check it out at some point.

Ultimately if you love murdering hordes of undead it's hard to go wrong with Dead Island 2, I'd give it a 7.5, enjoyed my time with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom