• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 3DS [N-CONF]

is this a thread where it's less embarrassing to admit that DOA4 is my favourite fighting game?

i always find it ridiculous that it's often LESS of a social no no to say you play DOA games for the tits rather than the gameplay.

DOA4 was great... and that smooth look plastic doll look has been with the series since at least 3. That's the way DOA looks isn't it rather than limitations of the 3DS?

Ashkeloth

After DOA4, I personally find it hard to believe anyone likes Dead or Alive anymore. Good gameplay, but the single player experience was destroyed by a focus on T&A and bullshit AI.

I also find it extremely hard to believe anyone with any pride in themselves would play Dead or Alive in public such as on a bus or train.

Then again, this is NeoGAF. Only three pages into a thread and there's been more discussion on jiggle physics than actual gameplay.

It's had the doll look since DOA2, or DOA++ (which was based on the PSX version of DOA1) if you want to pull back that far.

It's funny how far it's come when it was just a VF2 clone and now it's a full-on VF wannabe with fan service.

plagiarize said:
is this a thread where it's less embarrassing to admit that DOA4 is my favourite fighting game?

i always find it ridiculous that it's often LESS of a social no no to say you play DOA games for the tits rather than the gameplay.

DOA4 was great... and that smooth look plastic doll look has been with the series since at least 3. That's the way DOA looks isn't it rather than limitations of the 3DS?

Yep, even the 360 version had the same flat, porcelain doll style faces. Its an art style not a tech. limitation.

evangd007 said:
Thanks for the screens dementia; model, textures, and color depth are clearly superior to DOA2. I think a lot of these screens are getting a bum rap because of the aliasing, which shouldn't be a problem since impressions state that the 3D blurs the edges.

What are the chances of Samus making a guest appearance?

This is a good idea. I endorse it.

vantastic

dark10x said:
Don't be so defensive. It's more of a fascination than anything else. I'm curious to see how it compares. I'm as excited for the 3DS as anyone else!

In no way am I suggesting that the 3DS isn't an improvement over PSP. It definitely is and it has to drive two images internally at once. Even more impressive.
seriously, THIS. you guys are starting to sound like apple users. question ANYTHING and you'll be bombarded by defenders :lol

Skilletor

Ashkeloth said:
After DOA4, I personally find it hard to believe anyone likes Dead or Alive anymore. Good gameplay, but the single player experience was destroyed by a focus on T&A and bullshit AI.

I also find it extremely hard to believe anyone with any pride in themselves would play Dead or Alive in public such as on a bus or train.

Then again, this is NeoGAF. Only three pages into a thread and there's been more discussion on jiggle physics than actual gameplay.

Only thing that matters.

I'm a huge DoA fan, couldn't care less what others in public think about me, will be buying this on 3DS, and avoid DoA threads since it's mostly full of people who care more about the placebo OMG SET TO AGE 99 FOR MORE BOUNCE than discussing gameplay.

<3 DoA

FACELESS, WHERE YOU AT? I like my Ayane over your Tina.

Paracelsus

Me would like some portable Hitomi (nope, not DoA Paradise), please. Also, the so-called "bullshots" are actually a pretty good representation of how the games actually look. DoA Ultimate definetely, DoA2 I should go back and check, but I remember the IQ being pretty clean even on PS2. So far DoA 3DS looks a downporting of DoA4 running on DoA2 engine.

Paracelsus said:
Me would like some portable Hitomi (nope, not DoA Paradise), please. Also, the so-called "bullshots" are actually a pretty good representation of how the games actually look. DoA Ultimate definetely, DoA2 I should go back and check, but I remember the IQ being pretty clean even on PS2. So far DoA 3DS looks a downporting of DoA4 running on DoA2 engine.
I'm not saying I don't believe you, but memories can easily cloud judgment. I remember playing DOA2 after playing DOA4 and being stunned how much worse it looked than I had remembered. I will attempt to screencap DOA2 and DOAU tonight because I feel what we've seen of DOA 3DS is closer to non-bullshot DOAU than DOA2.

I just remembered that Team Ninja is the one developing the new fucking Metroid. If Other M Samus doesn't make an appearance I'll be shocked.

Hoping it plays closer to DOA2 Hardcore or DOA3.2 than fucking 4, which despite the tighter counter windows was floppy ass cardboard fighter. Also hoping for Zero Suit Samus as a playable character.

Skilletor

Mr. Pointy said:
Hoping it plays closer to DOA2 Hardcore or DOA3.2 than fucking 4, which despite the tighter counter windows was floppy ass cardboard fighter. Also hoping for Zero Suit Samus as a playable character.

Counter window in 4 was the same as others in the series.
I agree, though. DoA3.2 is that hotness.

Ashkeloth said:
you must also find it hard to believe that anyone would play Soul Caliber on PSP on a bus or train too then.

yeah DOA4 had bullshit single player.

but then isn't that expected from a fighter?

in mp DOA4 seemed really well balanced, had good stages, and a wide variety of interesting characters.

nothing was more fun than playing online as Elliot in his rent boy outfit against people who just wanted to look at tits.

*edit* This is why I said it looks like DoA3, because it's rather close in terms of character visuals.

2lctfef.jpg

Ashkeloth said:

The cpu has always been mind readers in dead or alive games, annoying as shit but it's passable, it does annoy me and i'm a huge fan of the games. Playing against someone else who knows their stuff though and the game is rather magical, all those bullshit counters the computer does settle down against other people.

If they ever do announce DoA5 I hope the computer fights a lot more fair and that air juggles, while cool, are toned down. Nothing worse then losing 50% of your hp bar because their attacks string together and keep your feet off the floor, thus not being able to block or counter. That is my main and only beef with the series.

_dementia said:
She'd probably be in her suit so that would not be an issue. Nicole had her full spartan gear in DOA4, remember?
Very true but that was due to us never seeing a spartan outside of their armour suit, Samus has her blue 1-piece swimsuit looking stuff which I would think fit's better in a DoA game :p Either way she would be an awesome extra, her moves would fit right in there.

Frankfurt

Banned
Perfect Legend (CGS DOA player) posted on the DOA5 thread at SRK, and he pretty much smacked everyone and explained how and why all the usual "how to fix DOA" ideas (lessen counter damage, changing counter window, increasing attack priority, etc) would make the game more broken. :lol

I have no problem saying i like DOA. It's fun as hell, and even when you play with a character you don't know too well, the fighting is still fluid, fun and looks cool. That can't be said of any other mainstream fighter. The only other casual series is MK, and that one has been a mess even on a casual level for years (i've seen little kids sidestepping into combos all day).

Rahxephon91 said:
I wonder what happen to a lot of those other DoA games that were supposedly coming. Like Project Progressive and Code Chronus. They probably aren't happening now.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100524011249/deadoralive/images/1/1d/195234.jpg

Like why even hint at the damn things?

Itagaki wanted to work on a game, Tecmo forced him to work on another ("do this one first, then you can work on that one"). There was friction between what and when Itagaki wanted the games to come out, and what Tecmo wanted even before DOA 4 was released. DOA4, DOAX2 and NG2 all were plagued with disagreements.

Hell, Tecmo announced the new Tecmo Bowl (Itagaki's dream project) like the month he jumped ship.

wsippel

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
I just remembered that Team Ninja is the one developing the new fucking Metroid. If Other M Samus doesn't make an appearance I'll be shocked.
I wouldn't be surprised. Samus has a lot of cameos these days, anyway, and with Team Ninja working on Metroid, it's pretty much a given.

Paracelsus said:
Me would like some portable Hitomi (nope, not DoA Paradise), please. Also, the so-called "bullshots" are actually a pretty good representation of how the games actually look. .

No they're not.

ZoddGutts

Wish they would go with the Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 character look.

2wfk4n9.jpg

20rryth.png

They don't have that doll/anime look on their face. Momiji will probably be in this game, probably have that doll face look now...

Ashkeloth said:

Why would I care what people think. I blast The Big O theme while driving my car. I don't think I'd care if people saw me playing DoA, nor should anyone. And I'm not sure what was wrong with the single player. As far as fighters go its pretty much the same and was pretty easy, even on hard. At least it dosent have Tekken 6's bs which I find real annoying. The AI didn't seem that much different from past DoA's ,but I really don't know about mechanics. And focus on tna? I think that gets exaggerated when it comes to DoA. The chicks have boobs that bounce, its really not that bad.

DoA is my favorite fighting series and I really hope we get a DoA5 soon.

Anyway, let's speculate on what DOA 3D is really going to be. A full-fledged DOA4.5 / 5? An Ultimate game that's a remake of an earlier title or a KOF like Dream Match?

Characters? Probably everyone minus Nicole from DOA4. Alpha-152 and Genra as unplayable bosses only. Momiji as a playable character. Samus - hopefully. Rio the croupier from DOA Paradise - probably not.

shuyin_

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
You have to be tired, having to continuosly saying in 3DS threads that everything we saw about 3DS is quite real.:lol
english isn't my main language, but you speak it worse than me :p

how could you be embarrassed playing doa?

Oooh it has female characters in it? and you think, people taking a glimpse on the bus will think "wow this guy is SUCH a perv, playing this game on the bus"?

They will just think its tekken or whatever fighting game they know.

and i like doa the most. i enjoy the cheesy story and the flow of the battles.
i hope this game will be a best of game. featuring all the favourite stages, costumes and characters.
plus like 2 new characters and maybe a sidestory that brings all the characters together.

zero suit samus would be great!

Mr. Pointy said:
Anyway, let's speculate on what DOA 3D is really going to be. A full-fledged DOA4.5 / 5? An Ultimate game that's a remake of an earlier title or a KOF like Dream Match?

Characters? Probably everyone minus Nicole from DOA4. Alpha-152 and Genra as unplayable bosses only. Momiji as a playable character. Samus - hopefully. Rio the croupier from DOA Paradise - probably not.

+Zelda

5291.jpg

tnPrincessZelda.jpg

This as an extra:
376px-Princess_Zelda_28Oracle_of_Ag.png

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I really enjoyed the DOA that was on playstation 2.

All I remember about the 360 version was that it was zero fun and the final boss was INFURIATING. I hated GAF for hyping me into buying it.

But hey, BIG OLE TIDDIES

Top Bottom