• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 6 - Jiggle Physics Are Back!

CatCouch

"Not only is it the first Dead or Alive game in six years, it’s also the series’ debut on current-gen console hardware."
Haha, 2018 video game journalism.

He said it, he said the thing!
1JhJ.gif
That gif sums that interview up pretty well. :/

Vlaphor

"Not only is it the first Dead or Alive game in six years, it’s also the series’ debut on current-gen console hardware."
Haha, 2018 video game journalism.

He said it, he said the thing!
1JhJ.gif

My biggest fear with this is that costumes will be in loot boxes instead of just in a store where you can buy them. That'd be the ultimate bullshit. Save that for the f2p gacha.

Loot boxes are not something I expect to see in the retail DoA6. Given the devs comments (which seem to be on the rise) about the game not having a large budget, I do expect the initial release to be bare bones on outfits, with only smatterings of classic costumes and everyday-wear-style clothing.

My biggest fear with this is that costumes will be in loot boxes instead of just in a store where you can buy them. That'd be the ultimate bullshit. Save that for the f2p gacha.
Don't worry. This game already has a 80$ digital deluxe edition that only adds a clone character, 25 costumes + a bonus Kasumi costume, and 3 BGM's, and lets not forget the 90$ season passes for DOA5. With that insane pricing they don't need lootboxes.

Last edited:

Vlaphor

Don't worry. This game already has a 80$ digital deluxe edition that only adds a clone character, 25 costumes + a bonus Kasumi costume, and 3 BGM's, and lets not forget the 90$ season passes for DOA5. With that insane pricing they don't need lootboxes.

It was never about need...

Vlaphor

Now that there is a higher quality version of that video, I swear I can see both slight individual boob jiggle as well as left and right movement. This is a good thing, as the first bounce they showed looked kinda bad and uniform. They're making progress.

Does anyone else hate the washed out look? Like there's too much bloom, makes the game look so low res. They started this look in DOA5 and is one of the main reasons I stopped playing (and I'm a DOA fan).
It just doesn't look good...

I honestly expect the next Street Fighter to be way toned down with more realistic characters like Resident Evil 2 and Devil May Cry 5. I can see Capcom doing the model scanning and costume design with real people like Claire in RE2.

It's clear that fan service art is being pressured to end. I hope this isnt the case but I expect these fights to continue for a while with consumers clashing hard with developers who are being pressured by journalists and maybe companies like Sony to dump these art styles.

Unfortunately, you are probably right. SF6 featuring boring, Western-inspired designs for the females wouldn’t be cool. It’s like the media and society hates anything remotely accentuating femininity. Watch the males still be overly steroid-muscular, handsome and still showing skin though.

Last edited:
The biggest hypocrisy going around that I hear constantly from players and journalists is that doa should tame down their fanservice aspect to be more viable for evo and other tournaments.

Meanwhile, the number one fgc esports game is Street Fighter V with half naked women and lewd costumes added on a regular basis, but nobody talks about that. SFV isn't that much less fanservicy as doa.

I do agree that doa in general is treated unfairly. I mean yes, people of course ridicule sf5 also, but people don’t dismiss the entire game as a serious fighter because it features fan service. Most people say they cannot take doa as a serious fighter mainly because of the women, yet they play other fighters that feature similar content.

Aggelos

ss-christie001.jpg

ss-christie002.jpg

Apparetnly it's not snow. It's ashes what's falling down from above, after a huge pile-up accident that occurred on the highway.
Because people muttered that the snow didn't look detailed enough in the first place.

highway001.jpg

highway002.jpg

Last edited:

xion4360

I wonder what caused the pileup? I thought it was snow too but its not exactly overcast and the trees are green so it might be ash from.. a volcano? or maybe it was an early season snow squall.. that can happen...and can cause pileups. Maybe there was an explosion from that plant on the side. who knows... i like the stage though, very interactive.

"DOA Colosseum" is on the sign at the interstate, meaning its nearby to the other stage's location.. that stage has palm trees. could still be snow though. Im thinking about this too much...

Last edited:
I'm still not happy about the surgical reductions.

I wish they would have used unreal like SC 6 uses. The mods have already started for that game.

Last edited:

CatCouch

As long as there's no more real disappointments like an announcement that sexy outfit DLC will be toned down or that Sony stepped in to say no bikini's I think I'm back to full hype for DOA6! Christie looks great!

Please, just please tell me there will be sexier outfits and please don't let them be attached to loot boxes or anything. I want more Halloween themed costumes, those are my faves!

Vlaphor

As long as there's no more real disappointments like an announcement that sexy outfit DLC will be toned down or that Sony stepped in to say no bikini's I think I'm back to full hype for DOA6! Christie looks great!

Please, just please tell me there will be sexier outfits and please don't let them be attached to loot boxes or anything. I want more Halloween themed costumes, those are my faves!

Regardless of what Sony may or may not try to pull, we'll always have the PC version.

As for costume packs, something like this again, please.

deadoralive5ultimatea01lgu.jpg

A costume pack mostly devoted to sideboob

CatCouch

Regardless of what Sony may or may not try to pull, we'll always have the PC version.

As for costume packs, something like this again, please.

deadoralive5ultimatea01lgu.jpg

A costume pack mostly devoted to sideboob
I half-jokingly commented that DOA6 might launch with more fan service in Japan. Now I'm watching closely as I can see Sony blocking costumes or forcing breast bounce to be turned down on the PS4. Now that we Know Nekopara removed the breast bounce option it's entirely possible.

I'd hate to buy this and have costume packs in the future get blocked on the PS4 but release on PC. The uncertanty is making lean away from buying any game like this on a Sony platform. Damn Sony, you f'd up way worse than Nintendo did a few years ago~

cireza

Banned
I half-jokingly commented that DOA6 might launch with more fan service in Japan. Now I'm watching closely as I can see Sony blocking costumes or forcing breast bounce to be turned down on the PS4. Now that we Know Nekopara removed the breast bounce option it's entirely possible.

I'd hate to buy this and have costume packs in the future get blocked on the PS4 but release on PC. The uncertanty is making lean away from buying any game like this on a Sony platform. Damn Sony, you f'd up way worse than Nintendo did a few years ago~
Playing on Xbox. Problem solved :messenger_sunglasses:

I hope that the time spent checking the "downloaded content" will be much shorter in DoA6. I don't intend to buy as much costumes anyway, but I did buy quite a few ones in DoA5. They once made a pack with maybe 300 costumes, got this one, and the initial loading time of the game became incredibly long.

Last edited:

Vlaphor

First upclose pics of the bed sheet have been unveiled.

I can totally afford the high end version of this game...but I don't know if I want it yet.

After giving DOA 5 a chance Im really enjoying it. It just feels different tahn other fighting games and Im honestly kinda hyped for this

Vlaphor

Some new stuff has been coming out, nothing huge, but worth sharing.

First up are a couple of costumes that you get by pre-ordering the deluxe edition

WRDYR2n.jpg

ZZJy9iF.jpg

and they've also revealed one of the bath posters that you get when you buy the $220 edition.

bala82r.jpg

Also, DOAFest is in a couple of days, the 18th in fact, so more news coming soon.

I continue to be fairly underwhelmed.

The fanservice is toned down and the graphics are just not as good as you would expect a modern DOA to look considering how jaw dropping 3, X and 2 Ultimate looked in their day.

That Tina outfit is decent, but I'd much prefer she had bikini bottoms on rather than short shorts. Even her boobs look much smaller in that cartoon pic, than they did in DoA5.
Now to say something nice. I really like the amount of light and color in the new stage.

Vlaphor

I continue to be fairly underwhelmed.

The fanservice is toned down and the graphics are just not as good as you would expect a modern DOA to look considering how jaw dropping 3, X and 2 Ultimate looked in their day.

I agree somewhat, but it's the DOA we're getting, so let's make the best of it.

That Tina outfit is decent, but I'd much prefer she had bikini bottoms on rather than short shorts. Even her boobs look much smaller in that cartoon pic, than they did in DoA5.

It kinda looks like she has both bikini bottoms and short shorts. Assless chaps, somewhat. Still, I do agree that I wish her boobs were bigger. Again, PC version will be the way to go with this game.

Even as concept art, Tina's outfit seems too busy, while given how the 3D characters have mostly been designed so far in DoA6, I can't see the actual 3D realization of Leifang's costume living up to my existing mental image.

Otherwise, even though I don't expect to come out of this weekend feeling any warmer towards DoA6, I'd really like clarity on exactly how jiggle will function in the game (is there an incremental toggle or is everything tied to costumes?) and details on whether we can have any real expectations for the inclusion of some decent outfits in the base game.

Vlaphor

We got some more costumes here.

q2N0kyo.jpg

rr9u0x0.jpg

8EGm9T2.jpg

They all look good in my mind, with Kasumi's being a direct reference to her brief scene in Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.

Ze4rlGs.jpg

I like the way Honoka's looks, same with Ayane....but Ayane used to be a lot bustier. Still, again, the PC version will save us all.

Taken as a whole, with their little flourishes and some of the texture work, I honestly don't much like any of those outfits. And ya know what, the developers can piss right off with what they've done to Ayane's chest; she looks even smaller in that image than in her dumb ninja armor.

Also, not sure if we've seen this before, but I guess Marie is getting her schoolgirl outfit and Honoka's uniform sans jacket will return. At this point, I'm expecting every outfit in the base game to be relatively tame and cover as much as possible.

DsNQ-AuU4AAKLAC.jpg:large

Last edited:
Poor Ayane, she regained her breasts in DOAX3 only to immediately lose them again, once again a Kasumi head swap with no advantage. Honokers is still Honkers though.

Vlaphor

Look at the Ayane boob comparison between the wrestling pic and the pics from the poster and bed sheet. They know how Ayane should be. I wonder if this is one of those things will have to wait and see about.

CatCouch

Those costumes look a lot better to me. Still, the game seems so inconsistent, it's clearly stuck between being what it used to be and this new western appeal direction. With Sony and the general way western media treats anything sexy or Japanese these days I imagine DOA6 is screwed. It gets more and more hostile each year, I don't think it's even possible to tone this down enough to avoid being demonized.

The audience that Sony seems to want likely won't have any overlap with the audience for a game like this so I assume Sony will not promote this at all (I wouldn't rule out DLC outfits being censored down the line, either). Xbox doesn't have a big base for Japanese games, though I will be buying this for my Xbox One. PC may end up being the platform to build this game up on over the years. I really hope PC gets a big boost from Japanese devs over the next generation!

Look at the Ayane boob comparison between the wrestling pic and the pics from the poster and bed sheet. They know how Ayane should be. I wonder if this is one of those things will have to wait and see about.
There faces look a bit different in the poster too, plus there lips look slightly lighter in colored too compared to there in-game models. Although I noticed in DOA5 merchandise not all posters were fully representative of there in game models.
295406.jpg
Like in this one, Kasumi's face is slightly different modeled than her actual in game face, and doesn't look nearly as good. So who knows.

Also totally random note, I somehow never saw this promotional picture before of Mai and Kasumi. Love it!

wzgck818eq201.jpg

Last edited:

splattered

As a fan of the series since the early days I actually skipped #5 completely as the enormous amount of DLC made me angry. I have no general problem with DLC but they went absolutely crazy with it. I'm assuming the same will happen here? Might just skip #6 too and that sucks.

Vlaphor

As a fan of the series since the early days I actually skipped #5 completely as the enormous amount of DLC made me angry. I have no general problem with DLC but they went absolutely crazy with it. I'm assuming the same will happen here? Might just skip #6 too and that sucks.

To be fair, DOA5 launched with a fair number of costumes already, and they supported the game for around three years with a constant flow of content, quite a bit of it very good. I understand feeling angry if the game launched with a paltry amount of costumes, but I was already happy with what they had day one, and it just got better.

We'll see how DOA6 is though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

The character dlc is bs but the costume dlc im fine with. You can buy it bundle or a la carte. And the main game does come with a shitload of costumes.

Ayane looks horrible in that new outfit. Despite being maybe my least favorite DoA girl, she always had a good sized chest. Not anymore :'(
Honoka on the other hand, looks pretty damn good in that pink and white outfit.

kunonabi

q2N0kyo.jpg

Not every girl needs massive tities in the game. Personally, I think she looks great.

The huge rack is all she had going for her. If they want more variety in sizes just make new characters with varied sizes instead of screwing over existing characters. I dont really care about Ayane one way or the other but doing Lei-Fang dirty like that after excluding her from Xtreme3 is just BS.

q2N0kyo.jpg

Not every girl needs massive tities in the game. Personally, I think she looks great.
If you were talking about a character like Lei Feng or Hitomi, then sure. The problem here isn't just being smaller but being the same size as Kasumi, her sister. Ayane is supposed to be quite a bit bigger to differentiate them according to stats, and they were even finally properly reflecting that in games like Ninja Gaiden 3 and DOAX3, so now it makes Ayane less unique once again.

Vlaphor

I know all of these shots are from DOAX3, but that's my favorite Ayane, so to go from this

2ewahg9.png

3sLuLbp.jpg

apasAo2.png

VmjYnVv.png

to the above is a bit jarring. While it is true that not every girl needs massive titties, IMO, Ayane does.

You know who I would be ok with having small boobs?

Marie Rose...just so she would have boobs at all

Last edited:
For a festival, the dedicated DoA6 segment was pretty underwhelming.

I guess it'll be interesting to see how Dead or Alive Xtreme 3: Scarlet turns out for the Switch & PS4 (or maybe more like Switch vs. PS4; https://gematsu.com/2018/11/dead-or-alive-xtreme-3-scarlet-announced-for-ps4-switch).

Between deflated in-game chests and oppai-mouse-pad bonus items, the messaging around this game continues to be a mess. Watching some of these promotional events, it's hard to tell if DoA6 is merely a rushed and confused casualty of a product or whether this is almost a hostage situation, with some of the devs screaming for help. Also, the below costume was on the screen for all of a hot second.

DsRMTinXgAAM-Ty.jpg:large

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
For a festival, the dedicated DoA6 segment was pretty underwhelming.

I guess it'll be interesting to see how Dead or Alive Xtreme 3: Scarlet turns out for the Switch & PS4 (or maybe more like Switch vs. PS4; https://gematsu.com/2018/11/dead-or-alive-xtreme-3-scarlet-announced-for-ps4-switch).

Between deflated in-game chests and oppai-mouse-pad bonus items, the messaging around this game continues to be a mess. Watching some of these promotional events, it's hard to tell if DoA6 is merely a rushed and confused casualty of a product or whether this is almost a hostage situation, with some of the devs screaming for help. Also, the below costume was on the screen for all of a hot second.

DsRMTinXgAAM-Ty.jpg:large

It's probably a cry for help.

"You have 5 seconds to comply."

4qkzujb.jpg

Top Bottom