• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 6 - Jiggle Physics Are Back!

splattered

Wish I could preorder an "Ultimate Edition" or whatever it would be so that I could just DL all the costumes as they are released... I don't like being nickel & dimed every time a costume or little pack come out and not having the costumes makes me feel like my game is incomplete. Ugh.

I don't get why they said DOA 6 would be toned down and still keep the service. Is this a way to subvert expectations? All the game journalists covering this made it seem that fans of the game play this game in a cum closet or something.

They might of saw the backlash and somewhat back-peddled on their decisions. Yeah people treat doa fans like crap, yet if it was gratuitously violent/gory or political, the same hypocrites would be praising it.

That Kasumi costume looks familiar. Wasn’t that in ninja gaiden 3 or something?

Last edited:

Vlaphor

I don't get why they said DOA 6 would be toned down and still keep the service. Is this a way to subvert expectations? All the game journalists covering this made it seem that fans of the game play this game in a cum closet or something.

There has been a fair amount toned down to be honest. The bounce currently doesn't look as good as it did in DOA5, especially on XBONE/PS4. The girls have had some slight bust reduction (or in the case of Ayane, notable bust reduction). The costumes they've shown off aren't as sexy as the ones they showed off from DOA5

Spoiled for image size considerations

DOA5 Tina

4t0iQ8U.jpg

DOA6 Tina

LTuEdBC.png

DOA5 Christie

Byv1hX4.jpg

DOA6 Christie

B3dpfJe.png

So yeah, there is a tone down, but this will still be one of the sexiest games to come out next year for sure.

Also, PC version day and date, which means that any major issues can be solved via mods.

I’ve never really found the chests to be that large on most of the women. I mean most of them are definitely considered bigger than average, but they were never commically enormous or anything to warrant a reduction.

Vlaphor

I’ve never really found the chests to be that large on most of the women. I mean most of them are definitely considered bigger than average, but they were never commically enormous or anything to warrant a reduction.

Apparently someone felt that Ayane warranted one, considering she went from

YNb1Gms.png

XX5r2a2.png

ZvxBJT8.jpg

to

v56EQtX.jpg

Yeah. That’s not cool. Ayane deserves better than that. I mean Ayane was always a busty girl from her introduction in doa1, so this decision is probably mostly to cater to people who thought she supposedly looked unrealistic or could get possibly get “offended”. Oh well, she still looks good though.

Last edited:
I usually preorder everything that Koei makes, but I’m holding off on DOA6 this time. First, because I like the fan service. Second, I think they’ll release a DOA6 Final Round with all the good stuff later.

They might of saw the backlash and somewhat back-peddled on their decisions. Yeah people treat doa fans like crap, yet if it was gratuitously violent/gory or political, the same hypocrites would be praising it.

That Kasumi costume looks familiar. Wasn’t that in ninja gaiden 3 or something?
Yeah, it was Kasumi's DLC costume for Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge.

I'm not holding out hope the base game has a few decent costumes that haven't yet been shown, but even if it does offer a couple swimsuits or something, my bigger issue remains being disappointed by the overall design choices for most of the female characters and the bulk of costumes we have seen. I'm underwhelmed enough by everything surrounding the game that I'll wait to see how things play out, after its initial sales and consumer reception.

splattered

I'm not holding out hope the base game has a few decent costumes that haven't yet been shown, but even if it does offer a couple swimsuits or something, my bigger issue remains being disappointed by the overall design choices for most of the female characters and the bulk of costumes we have seen. I'm underwhelmed enough by everything surrounding the game that I'll wait to see how things play out, after its initial sales and consumer reception.

Buuut what if it doesn't play out well and they release a large "i'm sorry" DLC bundle full of goodies to try and keep people that bought at launch happy? :p

splattered

Any pictures of all the bonus preorder goodies yet? I'm considering preordering the digital deluxe version. Skipped #5 maybe I'll give this one a chance

Buuut what if it doesn't play out well and they release a large "i'm sorry" DLC bundle full of goodies to try and keep people that bought at launch happy? :p
That manner of hypothetical DLC would, at minimum, have a specified download window, affording interested consumers a chance to purchase the game and also receive the content. As suggested in my previous post, waiting to see how things play out for the game seems a more prudent choice.

Vlaphor

Tecmo has been putting out a bunch more videos for DOA6, including this one, which has a look at a new Honoka costume and an old Lei Fang one.

splattered

I'm feelimg underwhelmed by the stages so far... that used to be one if my favorite parts of the series

Last edited:

Vlaphor

Looks like DOA is getting delayed a bit. The original release date was in Feb, but it's being pushed back slightly to March 1st.

I actually like her figure more in DoA 6 looking at that image, her breasts size fits her overal posture I'd say while still looking beautiful.
This.

Not every girl needs to be a damn titty monster. She looks better this way.
Shunka Ayami > Anri Okita

Them's fighting words son...

Hitomi Tanaka/Anri Okita > all other jav stars
Don't get me wrong I enjoy both.
Shunka Ayami, Saki Okuda, and Julia are the ultimate JAVfus
That being said you seem a man of taste all the same.

Last edited:

splattered

I don't see how. They're already better than all of Dead or Alive 5's washed out boring ones.

Well I skipped #5, so...

And i had enough points somewhere to make the deluxe digital version appealing so I'm all in on this one.

Went and checked my ready to install section and only the "core fighters" is in the list. Installed that and checked for any DLC etc but nothing is showing up?

Anyone else experiencing this on the xbox?

Last edited:

Madflavor

Apparently someone felt that Ayane warranted one, considering she went from

YNb1Gms.png

XX5r2a2.png

ZvxBJT8.jpg

to

v56EQtX.jpg

Absolutely disgusting. Her new outfit looks like shit, and still sexualizes her, and yet they heavily downgraded her breast size in an attempt to be more PC? The fuck is this shit? Who is this game for? It's not for serious fighting game fans. They're playing things like Street Fighter, DB Figher Z, or Soul Calibur 6. And apparently it's not for people who want a fanservicy game featuring hot voluptuous women, which is what the series has been known for.

Last edited:
Absolutely disgusting. Her new outfit looks like shit, and still sexualizes her, and yet they heavily downgraded her breast size in an attempt to be more PC? The fuck is this shit? Who is this game for? It's not for serious fighting game fans. They're playing things like Street Fighter, DB Figher Z, or Soul Calibur 6. And apparently it's not for people who want a fanservicy game featuring hot voluptuous women, which is what the series has been known for.
My impression is Koei Tecmo wants to eat their cake and have it too, by tweaking the franchise in ways to make it potentially more attractive to a mainstream & esports market, while not completely abandoning their existing customers. I'd be surprised if the game reaches their desired new audience, and I expect the messaging around this entry (particularly in the West) and slightly more conservative female designs will, at least at the start, erode their existing base. Given the company's track record with the relaunch of DoA5, I also wouldn't be shocked, if they always assumed there would be a chance at course correcting the game, should it initially fall flat.

Vlaphor

Someone just posted a massive collection of character portraits and art from the DOA5 Mobile game, DOA5 Infinite over at FreeStepDodge Just thought this would be a neat little thing to share.

https://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/doa5-infinite-character-portraits.7010/

Now here's a couple of samples.

jH74Xf3.png

q2llUxJ.png

Also one kinda cool thing about this pack is that it includes both the censored and uncensored versions of character art

AATJFIo.png

HSsCZsX.png

The full thing is about 213mb, so enjoy.

CatCouch

Nyotengu and Phase 4 reveal trailer.

Nyotengu looks about as busty as she always has and Phase 4 is just Kasumi wearing a cloak. A different character could've filled that slot.

Video has been removed. I wanted to see it, I'm still on the fence with this game.

DOA5 released pretty bare bones and only got the costumes I liked later on. If it's the same here I may just wait. I don't want to buy it and send the message that I'm happy with them toning the sex appeal down, if that really is the case.

Vlaphor

The image quality from the video isn't great, but Nyotengu's face looks off compared to DoA5 & DoAX3 (slightly pudgy and less sexy, almost more childish); her hair and wings also have a plasticity to them. As for her chest, I wouldn't say it's downgraded, along the lines of Kasumi and Ayane, but going by the full video and as with all the girls' physiques, she does seem to have trimmed down a bit, making everything appear a little less buxom.

JPadEJa.jpg

CatCouch

Is there now way to get the deluxe costumes and Phase 4 if I'm buying physical?

It's time to start paying attention since this is close to release. I don't want to spend a bunch of money just for a new version of the game to launch a year later with all the sexy content they are trying to downplay a bit now.

Nyotengu looks nice but seems to be lacking the seductive look from before. DOA always had an issues with "same face" and 6 looks even more generic to me, like the personality of the characters has been truncated a bit.

Not sure if I'm not the audience they are targeting anymore. The Japanese collectors edition looks like it still is going for it's established audience but I'm worried the game itself is going to be dry and boring. I thought 5 was pretty dry at launch.

I wish they'd drop the esport angle for this, you don't see Mortal Kombat cutting the gore down hoping for it to be a broadcast feasible game. I'm going to laugh and cry if DOA6 gets into tournaments and has problems like SFV did because of the costumes. That's a real "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, lol~

Is there now way to get the deluxe costumes and Phase 4 if I'm buying physical?
While they'll certainly be sold à la carte at a later date, in the West as far as I'm aware, Phase 4 and the deluxe costumes are only bundled with the Digital Deluxe Edition.

Of course, both the Japanese physical collector's editions come with the costumes and character. I can't decide whether Koei Tecmo not creating a Western counterpart to the Japanese base collector's edition (the one without mouse pads and pinup posters) is because they're worried the game's sales won't justify the production cost or they're so intent on pushing DoA6 towards the competitive scene that they assume the audience they're hoping to target would primarily go digital, in the first place.

I'm going to laugh and cry if DOA6 gets into tournaments and has problems like SFV did because of the costumes.
This shouldn't be a problem, assuming the Koei Tecmo representatives at the larger tournaments don't have their heads up their arse. All the girls' default costumes look purposefully designed to be stream-friendly for general audiences; one would think the final round(s) of any major tournament would carry the stipulation of having to use these outfits.

So, here are two potentially interesting tweets.

From the game's Twitter, concrete info about the demo coming this weekend.

Also, Gematsu tweeted about a DoA6 Core Fighters possibly showing up on the Microsoft store.

Shin

Banned
DoA6 has the best looking female faces in all my years of gaming and that's since 1992.
Pure eye candy and not even in a sexual way, the models are just that beautiful and not like Soul Calibur with 1KG make up or whatever the hell.

So, looks like along with other recent news, the game's director is doing another global press tour and was recently in Taiwan, resulting in this fairly detailed interview.

The interview has a good number of new images, though not much new information. Apparently the game will have 15 stages; only nine are shown, with no indication given on whether the larger number includes stages that appear to feature multiple areas. There was one portion of the interview I did find interesting, provided below in English by way of Google's translation, with pertinent text in bold.

Regarding the performance scale of the "clothing destruction" factor that everyone is very concerned about, the new appearance of Yang Ping said that because of the perception of women, it is unlikely that there will be too much exposure. He thinks this part may be handed over to another country in the South. It’s better to play the game on the island (laugh) (Editor: “ Life and Death Fight: Beach Volleyball ”). As for whether there is a difference in the performance of each platform version, he revealed that the official will publish a table of differences between the platform versions, including the difference between "specification" and "content" .

While admittedly, the comment about "exposure" is in reference to clothing destruction, the overall context in relation to what we're seeing from costume selection makes me wonder whether we really shouldn't expect anything too provocative. Call me crazy, but I notice the more skin (or bare chest) baring attire, like Honoka's black bikini top from the recent trailer or Tina's default outfit, all seem to feature an added jacket.

Maybe more concerning is the suggestion that Koei Tecmo will be releasing a table showing platform differences, including "specifications" and "content."

I watch trailers and look at some of the images from the game, and although the stages all appear overly sterile, I do appreciate the general improvement to the characters' graphic fidelity (if not necessarily their bodies), but going by the various statements made by the developer, I can't help but think the game is going to be rather schizophrenic, in its attempt to please too many disparate audiences.

Last edited:

Ayane and Kasumi costume showcase from the beta. Ayane looks like she has a few good ones in there and a decently sexy costume in there, Kasumi on the other hand are just her crappy defaults from vanilla DOA5, but now with the actually good one (the sundress) replaced for what I assume is a conservative school uniform. Very bland, rehashed, and modest selection of costumes for Kasumi, they even gave her the DOA5 outfit that's basically a better version of her lame new default, so even the variety is weak. Outside of her classic outfit they're pretty much forcing you to buy DLC (yup, this is a modern Koei Tecmo game alright) if you want a Kasumi outfit that's actually good, as both her pre-order and Deluxe costumes are quite a bit better. Worst of all, no side ponytail!

Given Hitomi got it the worst in vanilla DOA5, wonder how she wound up this time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom