• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 6 producer discusses future plans, DLC characters, what went wrong and more

Ascend

This is prolly the most most fun I've had with doa since doa2; the fighting is solid.
The fighting has a bunch of nonsense in it.

There are moves that are equally negative on block and on hit.
There are moves that can hit the opponent and have that same move get held/countered after hitting the opponent.
There are strings where it's better to whiff the first attack, because if you don't, you'll actually help the opponent block your follow-up attack and give him a free way to punish you.
Sidesteps are a gimmick.

Yeah... There's a lot to improve here.

Sakura

You get 5 costumes per girl and 2 or 3 costumes per guy, this is already more than any other fighting game at launch. You also get haircuts and accessories.
And fans who play dress-up even have a dedicated game, that's great for them. So where is the problem ?

Tag battle and that's it. You get Story, Arcade, Versus, Time Attack, Survival, Online, more than a hundred quests and a vastly improved Training mode with tons of things to learn. At launch. With more than 20 characters. And many costumes and accessories. If this game does not have enough content at launch in its base version (no DLC), then you guys cannot be satisfied period.

I don't think so, but it looks important to you to say that this is bad, so this is bad.
The game didn't even have lobbies at launch. Only 1 victory and loss pose. Ridiculous grind to unlock said costumes. Etc
Why do you think they've been working to try to patch this all in, and change the way costume unlocks work? Because they've been getting blasted for it, and sales were shit.
But yeah, complete game at launch.

cireza

The game didn't even have lobbies at launch. Only 1 victory and loss pose. Ridiculous grind to unlock said costumes. Etc
Why do you think they've been working to try to patch this all in, and change the way costume unlocks work? Because they've been getting blasted for it, and sales were shit.
But yeah, complete game at launch.
Only one victory pose now this is some serious lack of content. Other games only have one by the way.

Fixing how stuff is unlocked does not qualify as lack of content, I think that you can understand why.

Unlocking costumes was fine on DoA 1 2 3 but it is not anymore in 2019.

By the way I don't play that much and I have unlocked 1 colour of each characters costume, so basically all costumes. Did you guys even play the game ? Obviously not.

maxwell247

I'm seriously on the fence with this one. I want to buy the game, but I'm afraid that PC playerbase is diminishing too fast.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The fighting has a bunch of nonsense in it.

There are moves that are equally negative on block and on hit.
There are moves that can hit the opponent and have that same move get held/countered after hitting the opponent.
There are strings where it's better to whiff the first attack, because if you don't, you'll actually help the opponent block your follow-up attack and give him a free way to punish you.
Sidesteps are a gimmick.

Yeah... There's a lot to improve here.
How does any of this change my experience?

It doesn't

Ascend

How does any of this change my experience?

It doesn't
If you're a casual player, maybe it doesn't. But as a competitive player, that is the difference between a good fighter and a really shitty one. Getting punished for successfully hitting an opponent is one of the basic things that ruins a fighting game.

Rodolink

Casual player here. Played Dimensions on the 3DS and loved it. Wanted DOA5 but never got it because there were so many dlcs that dont know why diminished my interest. Now started again with 6, surprised is free model. I welcome that though.
Question out of the topic, do you learn the triangle system just by practicing and memorizing the oponent's moveset? Or how can you guess the cue to respond with the right movement? Since battles are so fast, cant really tell which movement the other is going to do until it has already connected lol

Ascend

Casual player here. Played Dimensions on the 3DS and loved it. Wanted DOA5 but never got it because there were so many dlcs that dont know why diminished my interest. Now started again with 6, surprised is free model. I welcome that though.
Question out of the topic, do you learn the triangle system just by practicing and memorizing the oponent's moveset? Or how can you guess the cue to respond with the right movement? Since battles are so fast, cant really tell which movement the other is going to do until it has already connected lol
Well, DOA6 plays very differently compared to DOA5. It's a bit more like Dimensions, in the sense that it relies more on stun then launch, rather than stun, extend stun, extend stun again, maybe just one more stun extension, launch.

I think that focusing on the triangle system first is a bit of a mistake. The triangle system while a good explanation for the mechanics, is incomplete. Why? Because it doesn't mention anything about blocking, even though it's a very fundamental aspect of the gameplay, like any fighter.
If you want good fundamentals, focus on blocking and striking first. Learn about safe and unsafe attacks, linear or circular attacks, slow or fast attacks, and their range. When you've mastered that, you can move a bit deeper in the triangle gameplay.

The triangle system comes into play when you're already a bit ahead and you get into the mind of your opponent. Basically, if you repeat the same strikes over and over, the opponent will start to hold your strikes if they know what they're doing. And that's where the triangle system comes into play. Because if you know he's going to hold you, you can choose to either use a different strike, or simply throw them. He then thinks, oh, he throw me, so next time I'll attack instead. So then you can choose to hold his attack, and then he wants to grab. Then you want to strike, and so on. Basically, the skill comes with experience. Many players use the same popular patterns when fighting, so, that helps you know what to do at a certain moment.
All that, is without accounting for other stuff, like throws beating block, ducking moves beating out highs and some mids, sidesteps, Sabakis, offensive holds, positioning (which is more important in DOA due to environmental damage)... There's a lot to take into account during fights, and it doesn't come easy to get good.

Last edited:

Rodolink

Well, DOA6 plays very differently compared to DOA5. It's a bit more like Dimensions, in the sense that it relies more on stun then launch, rather than stun, extend stun, extend stun again, maybe just one more stun extension, launch.

I think that focusing on the triangle system first is a bit of a mistake. The triangle system while a good explanation for the mechanics, is incomplete. Why? Because it doesn't mention anything about blocking, even though it's a very fundamental aspect of the gameplay, like any fighter.
If you want good fundamentals, focus on blocking and striking first. Learn about safe and unsafe attacks, linear or circular attacks, slow or fast attacks, and their range. When you've mastered that, you can move a bit deeper in the triangle gameplay.

The triangle system comes into play when you're already a bit ahead and you get into the mind of your opponent. Basically, if you repeat the same strikes over and over, the opponent will start to hold your strikes if they know what they're doing. And that's where the triangle system comes into play. Because if you know he's going to hold you, you can choose to either use a different strike, or simply throw them. He then thinks, oh, he throw me, so next time I'll attack instead. So then you can choose to hold his attack, and then he wants to grab. Then you want to strike, and so on. Basically, the skill comes with experience. Many players use the same popular patterns when fighting, so, that helps you know what to do at a certain moment.
All that, is without accounting for other stuff, like throws beating block, ducking moves beating out highs and some mids, sidesteps, Sabakis, offensive holds, positioning (which is more important in DOA due to environmental damage)... There's a lot to take into account during fights, and it doesn't come easy to get good.
Great explanation, thank you. Even though seems complicated I like the concept. Will try those tips next time. And get new costumes 😏

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
If you're a casual player, maybe it doesn't. But as a competitive player, that is the difference between a good fighter and a really shitty one. Getting punished for successfully hitting an opponent is one of the basic things that ruins a fighting game.
I'm not a casual player, but thanks for assuming.

Ascend

I'm not a casual player, but thanks for assuming.
It was kind of a given, considering the issues I brought forth were apparently irrelevant to you, considering the question you needed to ask... You might not be a casual gamer, but that does not mean you're not a casual player in terms of fighting games, or maybe this fighting game specifically.

Last edited:
How about not having a £90 season pass before the game is even out next time?

how the fuck can you even defend this shit?
This game deserves to be wiped from the planet.
It the reason i don't buy ANY modern fighters anymore. Its one big dlc clusterfuck.

Yeah, that season pass on inexcusable, but honestly though, this can basically be said for any modern fighting game. Look at mk11 micro transactions for example. I really don’t want another 3D fighter to die because there’s already s huge shortage of fighting games especially 3d ones.

deathsaber

With DOA 6, I just honestly don't feel like I'm playing a game any better than 5. Not really a fan of the handful of new move additions they made. Less characters overall, far less costumes, the means to unlock more suck, and I'm just highly turned off by the level of monetization-the pricing is utterly absurd. And yeah, just seem like there is many playing, even on PS4- keep running into the same person or two whenever I try ranked.

The whole package just gives me a feeling of "why did I pay for this when 5 was the same thing, but more content, and more widely played.

Top Bottom