• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 full cast confirmed, supports Playstation VR

ShinMaruku

I'm almost convinced that Tecmo introduced Honoka as some sort of social experiment specifically to mess with people who complain about Marie Rose.
That is probably part of it. I love it because it just shows some people are very strange with their standards. Honoka is not the only time they trolled people like that. Her sister in Ninja Gaiden 1-2 is 14. :p

BEHOLD.

THE FUTURE.

Man, we're fucked as a species. Not because we're perverted. But because people are seriously gonna start going "Real sex? Getting Married? Having Kids? Fuck that."

2WEQuh1.png

Isn't this actually like a real problem (or supposedly one) in Japan?
In Japan it can be a good and bad thing, the youth is not catered to by the governemtn so they don't have governemnt programs to help the youth, then you have their batshit work culture that gets percentage of the population apathetic. I say it's a good or bad thing because their population could use a bit of a decline to clear out the old bastard population to force that country to adapt. Could be bad because too much of a drop and the market is fucked.

The future is about VR+Andriod companion and genetic engineered children when you think it is time to pass down your gene and family line.

I mean it is the most efficient way for ours species to live if you look at it.
You have social, sexual, emotional and biological needs all taken care of.
The future is bright!

That would not be the most efficient way to live for our species, you forget we are pursuit hunters who are terribly violent. :p

ShinMaruku

Remember everybody else will be DLC. DOA5 was a game that had less reliance on whales because 1.5 million of the 3 million userbase bought dlc packs.

Verd254

Neo Member
I'm pretty shocked Tina and Leifang aren't part of the initial cast

Well there were basically five slots open when you take away the two new faces of DoA (like it or not it's true) and the Ryu and Ken of DoA. So with a very limited number of slots available and Japan being their usual xenophobic selves it's not a surprise that it's the western and Chinese characters who got the short end of the stick.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Well there were basically five slots open when you take away the two new faces of DoA (like it or not it's true) and the Ryu and Ken of DoA. So with a very limited number of slots available and Japan being their usual xenophobic selves it's not a surprise that it's the western and Chinese characters who got the short end of the stick.

Your argument would make sense if the NA and European lists weren't identical, just in different orders.

Eolz

What NA and Euro lists? Any NA list without Tina deserves to be scrutinized heavy in my opinion and I don't even care for her that much.

Europe and US had votings too but they didn't count.

Votes were determined through the number of themes bought for each character.
We guessed (correctly apart from one position) the possible results via the number of reviews for each theme, and someone made a site calculating the same things for the other regions.
https://doax3vote.herokuapp.com/reviewtotals.html
There has been some changes in the NA/EU lists since the preliminary results (Tina wasn't in, she is now), but Marie always was in top 9 for example. Those votes just don't count, but this might obviously help KT choose which girls they should give some priority too when they bring this game to the west (so I guess this is like a really long-lasting popularity poll in our case).

Verd254

Neo Member
Votes were determined through the number of themes bought for each character.
We guessed (correctly apart from one position) the possible results via the number of reviews for each theme, and someone made a site calculating the same things for the other regions.
https://doax3vote.herokuapp.com/reviewtotals.html
There has been some changes in the NA/EU lists since the preliminary results (Tina wasn't in, she is now), but Marie always was in top 9 for example. Those votes just don't count, but this might obviously help KT choose which girls they should give some priority too when they bring this game to the west (so I guess this is like a really long-lasting popularity poll in our case).

Tina number one in Euro? My sides. Honestly Europe has the most agreeable taste here for me just for having Rachel above the cut line.

ShinMaruku

You would have a point i Marie and Helena were not in They are very much western. Hell Hitomi is Western.

Verd254

Neo Member
You would have a point i Marie and Helena were not in They are very much western. Hell Hitomi is Western.

Marie is as western as her age is 18, Hitomi is half Japanese, and the last slot goes to Helena because there's literally no Japanese characters left to put in.

Synth

Marie is as western as her age is 18. Hitomi is half Japanese.

Yup. I'm sorry but the "young prodigal assassin" means she out-animes the entire cast easily. Out of all the characters, she's the least likely to ever make it into an actual western production (followed next by "young prodigal airhead" Honoka). Fuck the fictional lore and ages. They're designed for the audience, and that's why that audience voted them to the top so easily. And yes, that includes people living outside of Japan, that have a tendency towards buying Japanese things (especially PS Vita themes of all things).

Verd254

Neo Member
And yes, that includes people living outside of Japan, that have a tendency towards buying Japanese things (especially PS Vita themes of all things).

And this is why I don't trust those NA and Euro results being indicative of the characters actual popularity in those areas.

Klossen

Banned
And this is why I don't trust those NA and Euro results being indicative of the characters actual popularity in those areas.
TN isn't interested in "actual" popularity. They are more interested in what characters are wanted for people that purchase things additionally to the actual game. That's the type of fans that DOAX will be geared towards. The type that buys additional items for a game.

Edit: Do you also accuse western games of being xenophobic for not including Asian characters?

Verd254

Neo Member
TN isn't interested in "actual" popularity. They are more interested in what characters are wanted for people that purchase things additionally to the actual game. That's the type of fans that DOAX will be geared towards. The type that buys additional items for a game.

Edit: Do you also accuse western games of being xenophobic for not including Asian characters?

It's not something I throw around often in any circumstance. It's just kinda clear cut that they voted for all the Japanese characters (in actuality or spirit). And I didn't accuse the game of being xenophobic, I commented on Japan as a country being xenophobic, which they are and so is America and many other countries. The difference is that American xenophobia kinda balances itself in these situations given the diversity of the country. In Japan it's pretty one sided.

Klossen

Banned
It's not something I throw around often in any circumstance. It's just kinda clear cut that they voted for all the Japanese characters (in actuality or spirit). And I didn't accuse the game of being xenophobic, I commented on Japan as a country being xenophobic, which they are and so is America and many other countries. The difference is that American xenophobia kinda balances itself in these situations given the diversity of the country. In Japan it's pretty one sided.
But you did indirectly accuse the game of being xenophobic by saying the cast reflects Japanese xenophobia. Yet I doubt you use as harsh words when whatever American game has less Asians than westerners. Why? Because you are emotionally invested in the characters that were rejected and thus letting that get the best of you. There are other reasons for girls being rejected in a beach volleyball game besides nationalism.

Verd254

Neo Member
But you did indirectly accuse the game of being xenophobic by saying the cast reflects Japanese xenophobia. Yet I doubt you use as harsh words when whatever American game has less Asians than westerners. Why? Because you are emotionally invested in the characters that were rejected and thus letting that get the best of you. There are other reasons for girls being rejected in a beach volleyball game besides nationalism.

I didn't indirectly do anything in my view because the example you gave doesn't fit what I would consider a xenophobic game to be. A xenophobic game in my opinion would be a game that prompts xenophobia. This game is not doing that even if I was right and the voters were xenophobic. The game itself would be a victim of it, not a promoter. And again I don't use such harsh words often at all regardless of the side of the argument, so you can quit trying to make it seem like I do this all the time. And now that I think back my initial comment about xenophobia was slightly in jest in the first place. I was thinking of that "whitu piggu go home" video at the time I was posting and I find that video kinda funny for some reason despite being white.

Edit: Also the situation here is rather unique where we have a cast of characters that are from different countries and there was a vote. If the inverse scenario happened I would indeed say we collectively dropped the ball to say the least. But you're absolutely right, there's more than nationalism at play here, and you also made a good point about the vote being catered toward people who buy things.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

No. Because we'd use the word "racist" instead.

Lisa would probably get cut out of the Western vote, too. Let's be frank.

Another interview surfaced that I don't see posted here yet.
http://gnn.gamer.com.tw/6/121226.html It's in Chinese though.

Basic takeaways that were found

- After they announced DoA X3, a few days later the American/Eu distributors voiced their worries.
- Due to those Western countries having their own standards, KT is not gonna even bother with that for now to focus on the much more lenient Japan/Asia market standards for release.

- The Kasumi screenshots was solely made for having a character be shown for promotion placeholder purposes because otherwise they couldn't even show any characters.
- On the remote chance that Kasumi didn't make the top 9 then what little of her was completed would be scrapped.
- They got a lot of interest for VR support so they decided to do it which was what Hayashi announced at the end of first stream
- PS4 will be Soft Skin 2.0 while Vita will be Soft Skin Lite. Both versions of the game are basically the same, but their respective engines are specifically tailored for their respective platforms. Both versions will also take advantage of their own unique characteristics.
- The vote was for the complete version of the game. Insists there are currently no plans for dlc characters. That will be based on player feedback/support.
- Hayashi acknowledged that their vote style was pretty much how a certain Japanese Idol group did it, but said it was different in two ways.
1. Wanted to get real feedback/opinions from the real players through this method
2. Wanted to sell nice themes because they feel too many people are still on the default.

Thanks to Number 13 from FSD for the translation.

Get your import wallets ready.

ShinMaruku

Yup Western version should come after they get their idea for the game down. The East will not buy enough DLC to make it worth their while.

As I said earlier no clearance with their Western Side so to be safe they say "East only" until they can hash things out and say "Shocking demand"

raven777

It was clear that with Marie Rose in DOA5, they tried to tone down her sexual appeal compared to the rest of the cast. Her bonus costumes and swimsuits were more 'tame' compared to other girls

Even when we look at the Halloween costume

this was the contest winner for Marie Rose

but we got

this for the actual costume in the game.

By making this Japan/Asia exclusive, they probably can go full force with Marie Rose swimsuits.

If they end up releasing western version, either her costumes will be censored or she will be just replaced by another girl like you guys mentioned.

danmaku

What does Hayashi mean when he says western countries have their own standards? Why were the western distributors worried?

He means that a game that's about peeping at underaged girls in barely-there bikinis is going to have problems in the West. It's a niche title, but if it attracted some attention K-T could have some serious image problems and they don't want to risk. You could say that DOA5 was basically the same, but at least DOA has the excuse of having an actual game aside from T&A (or lack of them).

It was clear that with Marie Rose in DOA5, they tried to tone down her sexual appeal compared to the rest of the cast. Her bonus costumes and swimsuits were more 'tame' compared to other girls

Even when we look at the Halloween costume

this was the contest winner for Marie Rose

but we got

this for the actual costume in the game.

By making this Japan/Asia exclusive, they probably can go full force with Marie Rose swimsuits.

If they end up releasing western version, either her costumes will be censored or she will be just replaced by another girl like you guys mentioned.

Good. Toddlers shouldn't be dressed up that way.

Verd254

Neo Member
He means that a game that's about peeping at underaged girls in barely-there bikinis is going to have problems in the West. It's a niche title, but if it attracted some attention K-T could have some serious image problems and they don't want to risk. You could say that DOA5 was basically the same, but at least DOA has the excuse of having an actual game aside from T&A (or lack of them).

Hey, I for one am hoping the volleyball is actually good this time around.

Top Bottom