• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 3 PC "optimized" for 30fps. User can uncap at own glitchy risk. Cacpcom.

Durante

they have the fucking source code, they can fucking fix it!
I generally agree with this.

But even more so, anyone who sets out to develop a game these days and doesn't make it run with arbitrary framerates is being incredibly shortsighted. I honestly cannot follow the thought process resulting in such inflexible designs.

Enco

Also, as a PC gamer, this thread is pretty embarrassing. Are you guys seriously so insecure about the platform that you can't handle the fact that this game is releasing in the best possible state that it can given how it was made, on the PC, and that best possible state includes a locked framerate?

This thread is honestly worse than some of the console warz bullshit I've seen here. I mean goddamn, the armchair developers in here telling the people who made the game how "lazy" or "incompetent" they are over something they don't even understand is mind boggling.

This is just lunacy, sheer and utter lunacy. "Voting with your wallet" in this scenario doesn't result in more 60fps games. It just results in less games period on the platform. Me? I'd rather have Dead Rising 3 on PC with a locked framerate than not have it at all because Capcom was afraid to release a game that due to design reasons made inside of the scope of the original release made it impossible for them to release it without a locked framerate.
You have to be kidding me.

If you want to buy half baked products, go ahead. Support people who don't care enough to make a decent product.

Don't look down on people who are trying to make smart decisions and not promoting laziness.

Buying DR3 and supporting Capcom is no way important or necessary. If they can't give users what they want, they wont get their money.

Your blind love for companies and making excuses is why we have shit ports.

spirity

This is just lunacy, sheer and utter lunacy. "Voting with your wallet" in this scenario doesn't result in more 60fps games. It just results in less games period on the platform. Me? I'd rather have Dead Rising 3 on PC with a locked framerate than not have it at all because Capcom was afraid to release a game that due to design reasons made inside of the scope of the original release made it impossible for them to release it without a locked framerate.

Just abstaining from buying the game won't really deliver the message, I agree with you there. But if its combined with complaints on forums like this one? I think the message will come across then. Kicking up a stink AND refusing to buy is the probably the best thing you can do.

pa22word said:
This thread is honestly worse than some of the console warz bullshit I've seen here. I mean goddamn, the armchair developers in here telling the people who made the game how "lazy" or "incompetent" they are over something they don't even understand is mind boggling.

By Capcoms own admission, they said they don't know what will happen if the game is unlocked to run at 60fps. They haven't even tested it to see. So I can sort of see where the accusations of laziness are coming from.

daninthemix

But even more so, anyone who sets out to develop a game these days and doesn't make it run with arbitrary framerates is being incredibly shortsighted. I honestly cannot follow the thought process resulting in such inflexible designs.

Isn't Dark Souls 2 doing exactly this, though - with the weapon degradation and some enemy animations tied to framerate?

foxbeldin

I think the simple reason is that they cleaned the animation curves at 30fps (with x1 version in mind) and if you go over that you're exposed to what can happen in between the keyframes.

Eh, Dark Souls ran alright with an unlocked framerate, maybe this will too. And even if it doesn't, it'll still be the best version of the game with a fps that doesn't suck hot donkey coconuts. Still, it's perfectly reasonable if you don't wanna buy it because of the cap. Peeps gotta have standards.

CTLance

How utterly disgraceful.

Porting to PC is more than adding a wrapper around the console APIs. These are professional programmers and this is their trade. They get paid for it. And yet here we are, lighting the Durante signal. As in, asking a completely unrelated person to grab their debugger and dive head first into the guts of this monster, out of the goodness of his heart. For free. The mind boggles.

We really need a wall of shame for these kinds of things.

It's shitty to be capped at 30FPS, but DR3 on PC still feels like the definitive version of the game. It's not going to drop frames much if your hardware is good, which is more than the XB1 version can say for itself. And you can uncap it at your own risk, so you don't even need Durante.

The main problem with our engine is that it's custom and in-house but we don't have tons of resources (we make only one game series). And DR3 was developed over a generation transition to boot. All those factors together mean that we can get games out the door and design them mostly how we like, but the code incurs technical debt. So stuff like this happens when something like 60FPS isn't considered in advance, but the engine is too hard to change-- you have to basically rewrite large components, then push out extra QA. I'm guessing the higher-ups don't think PC is enough of a priority for an expensive drive like that. I'd fix it myself, but I get terrified whenever I get into the entrenched code for the core of anything.

Tain

It's shitty to be capped at 30FPS, but DR3 on PC still feels like the definitive version of the game. It's not going to drop frames much if your hardware is good, which is more than the XB1 version can say for itself. And you can uncap it at your own risk, so you don't even need Durante.

The main problem with our engine is that it's custom and in-house but we don't have tons of resources (we make only one game series). And DR3 was developed over a generation transition to boot. All those factors together mean that we can get games out the door and design them mostly how we like, but the code incurs technical debt. So stuff like this happens when something like 60FPS isn't considered in advance, but the engine is too hard to change-- you have to basically rewrite large components, then push out extra QA. I'm guessing the higher-ups don't think PC is enough of a priority for an expensive drive like that. I'd fix it myself, but I get terrified whenever I get into the entrenched code for the core of anything.

Nice to know that the option is user-exposed! Have you tried it unlocked? What sort of problems can be expected?

Nillansan

Thank you for the information, I am really looking forward to dive in.

Salsa

quantumnerd this is the chance to face your coding fears and shine

it is written

in reality it's just sad the higher ups don't give out the resources considering this could easily end up being the best selling version. looks like the reason behind it all is pretty much what I thought

delta25

Banned

Durante what kind of programing do you do, do you any experience with making games?

At least I'm glad to see even people on the dev team (?) agree that the 30fps lock is crap. Weird that they gave QLOC the okay to recode everything in RE4 to 60fps and can't even okay one of their own development houses the same sort of budget.

delta25

Banned

you have to understand that it always better to jump to rash conclusions before actually getting the full story, this is kind of how gaf works. ;)

Salsa

gotta say the, saying 'being capped at 30 socks but it's great your frames are not gonna drop much' is weird

if I were to play at 30 (which I'm not) at least I'd expect it to not drop at all

Salsa

you have to understand that it always better to jump to rash conclusions before actually getting the full story, this is kind of how gaf works. ;)

???

he pretty much confirmed what everyone assumed. it says capcom doesn't consider PC as much of a priority right there.

no need to go all winky face apologize just because he's a dev. props on the guy for telling us how it is but it's basically what everyone suspected

Tain

???

he pretty much confirmed what everyone assumed. it says capcom doesn't consider PC as much of a priority right there.

no need to go all winky face apologize just because he's a dev. props on the guy for telling us how it is but it's basically what everyone suspected

everyone but #TeamLazyDev

Rapstah

Something not being in a game is always because of someone not giving someone the budget to put it in there. 30 FPS isn't suddenly a great design decision because someone on the development team couldn't help it. It's just not his fault.

delta25

Banned
???

I read it as him saying that right from the start of development on the game 60FPS was never even a consideration thus making it near impossible to make it work with out actually having to go in and pretty much re-write the entire game.

Armaros

I read it as him saying that right from the start of development on the game 60FPS was never even a consideration thus making it near impossible to make it work with out actually having to go in and pretty much re-write the entire game.

Thus the PC port is a pure money grab.

Salsa

no need to rewrite the entire game, it's large components and QA. It's hard and its work, but it's something that some people already do when making a PC port and something that would certainly be doable if Capcom cared enough.

this thread started as "capcom doesnt care enough" and it just now ended in confirming "capcom doesnt care enough"

again, it's nice that quantumnerd showed up and it's cool to see the dev team isnt really just negligent and at least one person there is rightfully bummed about the outcome

I don't think there is anything anyone here at GAF defending this or at Capcom could tell me that would justify something like this.

Tain

I'm so incredibly curious to know what's jacked up at 60fps. It it something like limbs are going to be flying weirdly, or is it more like players can't make those highway jumps?

Eusis

Ah well, maybe some particularly brave modder can dig in and figure out how to ensure it can be reliable at 60 fps and higher, but I suspect that gets a bit TOO deep in and does need the likes of you and the rest of your team to do justice.

At least it's not resolution capped, now that was just lunacy.
Guess I won't be buying it then. If they're too lazy to make a remotely decent port, I'm too lazy to go through the payment steps.
We really need to start a push to replace lazy with cheap. Just look at the quoted post, they'd have done it if they had the funding, and I imagine that's the REAL case 99% of the time. And most of that last 1% might be because it's that big of a pain in the ass to deal with, much like you might be too lazy to wash the dishes... because the sinks are full and a lot of crap is stuck on really hard.

Eusis

Id rather have this at 30fps only instead of no PC release at all.
Yeah, at worst at least it's still an option.

When you REALLY don't want a PC port is when it's a completely botched port that's inferior to the console version and can't be (easily) salvaged, at that point it's more of a mercy to not bother, especially since it would more likely be revisited in the future. Which actually might be a reason to "not get a port" now that I think about it.

I think the implication is that Durante might be able to make it a more polished (or functional) experience once that limiter is removed. I know there's this running theme of developers coming onto GAF and saying "We don't need Durante to fix our game," but in this case, it unfortunately seems like you do. If he can do anything at all.

(Man, it sure would be nifty if he were quietly afforded source access so he could conceivably put out an unofficial patch, not supported by Capcom... Although, realistically, that's probably too much to hope for from him. He does only do this as a hobbyist, after all.)

I guess the question is, is Dead Rising 3 reusing a modified version of Dead Rising 2's engine (which I think functioned on PC at 60 FPS)? Or did your company develop a new engine with the newest consoles in mind, somewhere around 2012-2014, and not account for the possibility of 60 FPS? We're not even discussing 90, 120, etc. They ruled out of the possibility of it working at 60 FPS for even a brand new generation?

atomico

I don't really care.

Solid 30fps, 1080p and it's on Steam? I'm there, day 1.

Almost bought a console just to play a version of this game that struggled to mantain 30 at 720p.

Grief.exe

Wbacon at Capcom just alerted me to this post, includes a gameplay video at uncapped frame rates.

Allow me to set the record straight -- while Dead Rising 3 is optimized to run at 30 frames per second for gameplay reasons, you can expect it to still run fine uncapped under most conditions provided you have a capable enough hardware. We can’t guarantee that there won’t be issues, and obviously depending on your rig you may see different results. Rest assured the beefier your gaming machine, the smoother your zombie killing experience will be. :)

https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/https://mega.co.nz/#F!DkIRRI4b!7sunyPNNiXgCE8hZXN5FKw

FyreWulff

Who the hell ties the tick rate of important bits of code to the FPS...

Seperating everything from framerate has pitfalls as well. There's reasons it still happens, and it'll happen because it's the best way to do things in certain cases. You can't plan for everything in the future.

Top Bottom