• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 4 Announced (XB1/PC, Holiday 2016) Gameplay Trailer

Loudninja

Jeez. No timer and changing Frank? What's the point of bringing him back if you change him? And why not make a tight, well designed campaign based on a timer with a "freeplay" mode available at the outset instead of unlocked? This is so quickly going from day 1 to "on sale I guess." =\

This is what made it fun. You didn't have to save all 50 people, but man was it a thrill to do it perfectly.
Nothing was fun about that to me.

batfax

If saving 50 people wasn't fun for you, you didn't have to do it. The game was designed to be replayable so you could experience everything in chunks if you wanted.

KodiakGT

I fall firmly in the timer should be in camp. Rescuing 50 survivors in the first game was a really rewarding achievement to get. I'm hoping this game falls more on the DR 1/2 side of things then DR3 but unfortunately everything they released so far seems to be pointing to the latter.

you know what would be great

if the devs made a separate mode for people that just want to kill zombies

latest

that's just crazy though

latest

that's just crazy though

Or maybe they are making the game design accountable for the lack of a timer in other intense ways, meaning it isn't just about killing zombies en masse.

This is crazy thought, but I think we should see how the game plays before claiming it to be already shit.

pa22word

Or maybe they are making the game design accountable for the lack of a timer in other intense ways, meaning it isn't just about killing zombies en masse.

This is crazy thought, but I think we should see how the game plays before claiming it to be already shit.

I might be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if Dead Rising 3 wasn't sitting right there in my steam library.

the problem with this is that DR3 already showed what happens when the timer is all but removed. They try to make the zombies an actual enemy and make them into bullet sponges, as well as obnoxious variants like the football zombie that tackles you into a QTE without warning while you're passing through a crowd.

I might be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if Dead Rising 3 wasn't sitting right there in my steam library.

Different game, different mechanics and workings. Not saying you have to be hyped or negative about the game, but writing it off outright is super silly.

For the record, I thought DR1 was the only one that did time limits right. As more options arrived in the games, it felt far more manageable. There needs to be a new sense of urgency and fear to keep pace with the new mechanics. Maybe the load of zombies becomes nigh impossible to manage? Or they hit a point of being overpowered? I don't know.

pa22word

They made four dead rising games

2, and the one they made solo with no DR1 vets on hand was a wreck. A fun wreck to be sure, but still a wreck.

Different game, different mechanics and workings. Not saying you have to be hyped or negative about the game, but writing it off outright is super silly.
lol I'm pretty far from writing it off outright. As a Zombies Musou that the series has turned into it's fun. I put over a hundred hours into DR3 just waylaying zombies.

Expecting it to be anything other than a 6/10 dumb action game is folly though. The trailers they've shown for the game just make it more clear that they're throwing balance out the door and focusing on making the game more Zombie Musou.

I just find it sad that one of the most unique new IPs out of last gen destroyed itself so quickly. It went from a top tier zombie series doing interesting things with the idea to dead island tier (again, don't get me wrong I love the hell out of DI too).

I'm honestly more upset about Terence Rotolo not returning to voice Frank. I'm sure they'll do something to replace the timer in missions.

latest

that's just crazy though
Nah, rather listen to those who don't have their own compulsions in check while simultaneously blaming the game's mechanics. The kind of crowd that ignored how Dead Rising 1 (and onwards) already had a free-roam mode by default.

I'm not expecting thoughtful design from developers with a track record of increasingly ramping down any complexity the series previously had with each subsequent sequel they release.

xlom3000

Capcom-unity posted an "interview" with Frank over on their blog.

I really hope that isn't the personality type they are going for with Frank this time around. They are making him sound more like Kent, the rival photographer from the first game.

Capcom-unity posted an "interview" with Frank over on their blog.

I really hope that isn't the personality type they are going for with Frank this time around. They are making him sound more like Kent, the rival photographer from the first game.

To be fair, this lines up with his personality from OTR - full of himself, cracking jokes, and a little messed up.

I noticed you take selfies with zombies now. I hope they still let you take normal pics.

Chao

"We love frank west so much that we put this other guy in the game and named him frank west, because God knows he doesn't look or sound anything like the original character but this way we can write 'frank is back' on the cover"

Granjinha

"We love frank west so much that we put this other guy in the game and named him frank west, because God knows he doesn't look or sound anything like the original character but this way we can write 'frank is back' on the cover"

he actually looks like frank though

pa22word

"it's the 10th anniversary so we're going back to basics with the series by going back to DR1 and making this game more in line with that game"

Yet nothing about this game looks anything like DR1 from a design or mechanics standpoint. I seriously wonder if anyone at Vancouver who worked on this game even played DR1 if they think the game they're designing is anything like DR1 other than it having a character with the name "Frank West" and it taking place in colorado.

Wow. Hopefully all of that is available for purchase at some point down the road. Kind of a drag that Best Buy gets the least interesting perk of the bunch, though.

Top Bottom